What insights have you gained from studying history?

What insights have you gained from studying history?

Mine: Our current lives are remarkably luxurious.
Alternatively put - It could be so, so much worse.

Don't get cocky

I'm living a fairly comfortable life, which means that eventually my culture and people will be trashed, interbred and appropriated by some slightly less advanced, more socially cohesive rival nation.

Humans never change in our behaviour, atleast not with the recorded history.

explain fucking nero then?!!!

This. The whole CURRENT YEAR argument means absolutely nothing at all. CURRENT SITUATION DOES

Wars seem like a constant in our existence.
And there always will be a group of dominant people and the dominated. But these dominated need not live in shitty conditions (although lots ot people still do)

Luxury means nothing. The modern world, with its constant barrages of meaningless choices and lack of social cohesion are completely unfit for the human mind.

Humans are supposed to live in small groups, surrounded by a few dozen people that they can trust with their lives. These people need to rely on you as well. How many people nowadays even come close to such a life? How many aren't terrified of their husbands abandoning them or their colleagues backstabbing them?

Fuck the modern world.

Looking at great empires and superpowers throughout history -

The United States is beginning its decline - it may not fall anytime soon, but it will never become greater than it has been before again.

During the cold war the west won the financial war, but the USSR(and now Russia) won the moral one.

>Humans are supposed to live in small groups, surrounded by a few dozen people that they can trust with their lives.
t. I say this while being comfortably supported by first-world infrastructure maintained by strangers who either do it out of profit, a sense of obligation to a large community (i.e. a country/city/what have you) or both.

That I love Veeky Forums and history

Thank you Hiroshima Nagasaki, I no longer have to shitpost on /gsg/

arguementum ad baculum is the only true law of human nature

I learned that wanting to return to some state where humans lived in cope with nature is impossible as we have never done that since we started using tolls.

Boipussy is the true pussy

our lives are remarkably boring

oh to live in more interesting times

don't ever walk on this road or my son's road ever again

That history is actually very funny in a dark way.

>Humans never change in our behaviour,

No? But we are far less violent than ever before. Childhood extends later. Sexes have equal status. It seems like there are alot of changes.

Boring?
You have the power of instant communication with beings on the other side of the planet AT YOUR FINGERTIPS!?

yes.
my country will never call me to war to fight the bosch, the hun or the sand-nigger

Gee I wonder why

Everything happens twice, first time as theatre, second time as farce.

I never understood this sentiment.

YOU can go live that way, get a small community together, get a plot of land and live however you want to. You'll have very minimal interference from the rest of the world.

I, on the other hand, will enjoy the luxuries of modern life and the near endless experiences from the production of a global economy.

To each their own, why say the other is wrong and shitty?

t. person who can't establish said ties to people if they don't live right beside him
>people didn't cheat in ye olde days
o iam laffin at this child of nostalgia

Everything and everyone have/has always been shit. Humanity should just be wiped out.

Normies should be purged.

kek sauce?

War is boring as shit.

Not if you pay other barbarians to defend you.
Trust me it's a great idea!

a lot of it is vacuums and forces

when one force extends, another receeds, and vice versa. power. the resulting controlling synthesis is merely an intermediary stability from the chaoticness. then a return to equilibrium in lieu

t 23 Mhan dynasty had compulsory military service

desu bait

23/M/Han*

Goddamn i hate people like this on Veeky Forums. Literally using the Internet to tell me the modern world is bad

You want to be drafted to fight people you've never met and who want to ostensibly torture you to death?
Nigga, you gon' die. After you get raped or castrated or drawn/quartered or some other ignominious shit.
>buh muh GLORY
That's a myth. Unless you're a goddamn demigod who can kill an army by himself, one guy is more than enough to kill you. Two will just take their time and torture you.

if hes 150 years old fair enough else maybe hes a time traveller from a far off distant planet of relevence

DON'T TRUST MERCHANTS

I feel like ancient people toiled miserably, usually under the weight of mysterious dangers and brutal fate. Yet throughout they found moments of respite to admire nature or indulge their vices. The whole story is very empathic.

I'm also ashamed of some people here who treat history as a sports game or who demonize races of people.

That the current times have a lot similarity with the times Europe lived between 1890 and 1914

WAR IS COMING BITCHES!

If you want to go fight a war, go join the foreign legion, as long as you're not crippled and are in okay shape, you'll be allowed into training.

But you don't, you just want to complain that you're not living in a fantasy land. put it well. The glory thing is bullshit. You'll just die a boring pointless death because some peasant with a rifle shot you, or a bomb you never even knew was there blew you up after spending weeks watching roads and sitting in a camp.

>If I stay home I'll never die

>War heroes don't exist

Sure, it's not for most people, but maybe the guy you're responding to is a very special kinda guy.

>maybe the guy you're responding to is a very special kinda guy.

I'd agree with that, but more in the give him a special helmet and some gloves way than in the way a war hero is.

Most war heros are a whole heap of good luck off just being another random dead guy anyway.

The writer of this comic does not understand that population rises and production remains the same

Still, it's the attitude that provides the opportunity, can't get lucky (or hilariously maimed) if you're timid. While some war heroes are more the I'll-do-my-duty types, you do get the occasional Ernst Jünger.

Whether out future Jüngers would post on Veeky Forums is a different question.

That the ancients knew what the fuck they were talking about, and that the further you go back, the wiser people seem to get.

This is mostly due to time being very selective, but still

eventually as advanced civilizations stagnate, barbarians takes over, until they've reached that cliff, in which the next group of barbarians take over

There is no free will, its just deterministic cause-consequence relationship that stretches all the way to begging of life.

I actually find it really hard blaming anybody for anything bad they did - i.e. ISIS - when i realize that if i'd be in the same conditions, i would probably do the same.

We don't understand the human brain anywhere near well enough to make generalised statements like that about it, and I tend to find that the only people I ever see supporting it are those who simply want an excuse for their own issues. Not saying that's you, but that it's a definite trend, I've never seen an expert in any related field subscribe to a purely deterministic train of thought.

That people are utter fucking idiots who are willing to believe any exagerrated fairy tale (saw a retard who seriously believed there was a katana that killed half of the mongol army) as long as it suits their wolrdview and will actively ignore any revelations that might shatter their vision of ebin 300 like ancient warfare or anime like samurai battles. Also generally speaking they cherrypick the aspects of some historical cultures or figures and try to mold them into some caricature that fits their agenda.

Well true, but I think you're right there. Every one of the extremely courageous war heros I've heard of have been pretty successful in their social life, not lamenting over not being able to wage war on "sand niggers" on an online yak herding community.

We understand that brain is just a relation of interacting chemicals and cells, reaction purely driven by cause-consequence relationship same as literally anything in nature and in the world.

I like to think of myself as of a reasonable man, if you think that is wrong and you can prove it, then do it.

>We understand that brain is just a relation of interacting chemicals and cells

We don't even know what makes an individual have a personality, at best we sort of know what part of the brain it comes from, but not really, and we definitely don't know how it works.

>reaction purely driven by cause-consequence relationship same as literally anything in nature and in the world.

Nothing else in the world is sentient in the way humans are. We're not comparable to "Fire hits flammable thing, thing catches on fire".

>I like to think of myself as of a reasonable man, if you think that is wrong and you can prove it, then do it.

A reasonable man doesn't go "If you can't prove me wrong, I'm right". You have to demonstrate evidence that humans are purely controlled by determinism.

>i know how particles work, but don't know how the whole works, that makes my watch magical
We know how cells work, we know how spinal chord creatures work, we even understand the brain of small animals, why do people constantly feel the need to believe we are something special:

>Nothing else in the world is sentient in the way humans are
And exactly what separates us from just being smart monkeys? I know i said i'm reasonable but this drives me fucking mad. We are not ghosts. We are not gods. We are not spirit animals. Our brains don't work on magic. We are the same fucking thing as every other animal around us, except our rational mind is like thousand times bigger. Stop fucking watching hollywood propaganda, you are getting retarded.

If i have evidence and you don't, that means i am correct and you are wrong in front of any reasonable man. And i have the whole history to back me up. Give me literally any habbening and i will explain how it is determined by previous state of affairs.

explain

>We know how cells work, we know how spinal chord creatures work, we even understand the brain of small animals, why do people constantly feel the need to believe we are something special:

I understand what a cell is, I understand what energy is, I even understand basic compounds, why do people constantly act like the question of "How was the universe created" is something special?

Obviously that's not entirely the same, but the point's there. It's different because we're massively fucking different. Small mammals and cells don't have personalities. We do. We have no idea how personality works from a neurological point of view, or why some people develop some ways and some in others from any point of view.

>And exactly what separates us from just being smart monkeys?

Are you serious here? Do you want me to list every defining feature about the human experience that differentiates us from apes, or what?

>If i have evidence and you don't, that means i am correct and you are wrong in front of any reasonable man.

You don't have any evidence.

>Give me literally any habbening and i will explain how it is determined by previous state of affairs.

Politics isn't the same as humanity. But sure, let's go there. Why do some people prefer some sounds while others may be hate them? Why do people sometimes hold values completely contrary to the ones they were taught growing up? Why do some people think religion's dumb and stupid and for idiots, and some see it as a valuable part of society, while others are fanatical about it? Why can two identical twins who lived in the same household have drastically different personalities on almost every level?

You have no evidence of any kind to back you up except for an assumption that human nature is as simple as "poke this and this will twitch".

Also, I'd appreciate if you gave a full fleshed out response that isn't just "because of their genetics". What gene does that, exactly? How do their genetics play into this?

you are asking me to write walls of texts, i'm kind of too lazy for that, or for reading walls of text in response

>small mammals and cells don't have personalities
Actually, there are slight differences in each living being from the next. To us it seems they all act the same but thats just because we see their way of thinking as a species, but they in fact have their own personalities.

My main point still is: Every. Single. Thing. in this world obeys the cause-consequence relationship. Every single thing is determined thousands of years ahead. We know that the same rule led to biological building of your body and brain, and that the same rule let to the founding of society all the way to this year. And that same rule applies to chemicals and cells interacting within our brain. The fact that we can't understand it as a whole doesn't change this. Psychology and neurology can already explain decisive most of neurological processes, why do some people think this way, or why do some people do that thing. And every single time it is based on cause-consequence relationship.
You are right that it is not entirely right to say something is correct because there are no evidences against, but when you have a house made of candy, bed out candy and sheets out of candy, and a mattress that sticks and is sweet, it is logical to assume it is also made of candy.

those are wide questions but simplified answers:
>Why do some people prefer some sounds while others may be hate them
Firstly childhood complexes, then hearing sensitivity, mood, gender, propensity for migranes, differencing biological structure of ear itself, environment person grew up in, the sounds he is used to listening to...
>Why do people sometimes hold values completely contrary to the ones they were taught growing up?
Childhood complexes, rebelious stage, they could be taught different, sociological position (asocials are more likely to break off the mainstream, google omega personality)
>Why do some people think religion's dumb and stupid and for idiots, and some see it as a valuable part of society, while others are fanatical about it?
Childhood complexes, forming ears environment, people he/she hangs around, again sociological position, also economical and existencial position (people in need are looking for comfort more)
>Why can two identical twins who lived in the same household have drastically different personalities on almost every level?
Because they also interact with each other and they are doing different things within the household, they have different childhood complexes

>you are asking me to write walls of texts, i'm kind of too lazy for that

Don't ask me to give you examples which you can explain if you won't explain them.

You're just assuming things are the case at this point, you're not demonstrating any evidence for it being the case. Sure, I can't display evidence for it not being, but both of us would be dumb to go "I know for certain this is how it works". Might be your way, very easily could not be.

You keep giving vague answers like "childhood complex". Which one? How does it influence it? Why do they have that particular complex and not another one?

>hearing sensitivity, mood, gender

How so? People of both genders enjoy all sorts of sounds, and sensitivity can just be turned down if it's digital noise.

>environment person grew up in

How so? People from all situations enjoy all sorts of stuff.

>rebelious stage

A rebellious stage lasting decades and decades?

>they could be taught different

They were taught different to what they were taught? What?

>sociological position

Makes no sense, and when you start going "Oh it's an omega personality", you just look dumb. Humans can't be broken up into alpha beta omega types.

>forming ears environmen

What?

>people he/she hangs around

Kind of a jump there, and not true in every case, so not likely a common cause.

>also economical and existencial position

How so? People get all sorts of reasons to believe certain things religion wise. Religion's extremely common in the middle and upper class, for example.

>Because they also interact with each other and they are doing different things within the household, they have different childhood complexes

But it's the same genetics and environment, are you implying that one twin doing dishes and one vacuuming is the reason why they have completely different personalities?

How so?

1) All institutions established with noble purposes get corrupt almost immediately, pretty much all organized religions being vivid examples (inb4 fedora). Mostly because they are very quickly taken over by people who don't give a shit about the said noble purposes, but only want power and the resources associated with this power.

2) Patron-client relations remain the primary pattern of social interaction throughout most of history, from prehistoric tribes to modern corporations and political parties, though feudalism is, probably, the purest expression of this. Other variants of organizational structure, for example, rule-based institutions or democratic collectives based on solidarity, very quickly degrade into clientelism no matter how hard you try to prevent it.

Wew lad
>AIDS
>poverty
>corruption
>oppression

B-but at least we hate those fags!

Oh, he's 'special' alright.

Nah, I'm a Russian, and I must say that you won the moral war long before the cold war ended, probably, it was decided as early as the 1960s when people started looking up to the Western culture and lifestyle. And it was about the same time, the early postwar decades, when the European left took a decisive break with Soviet marxism. Also, by the early 1980s the whole USSR was already rotten to its core, nobody even took that ideological bullshit seriously, and, if anything, social-democratic leftism facilitated it fall. So don't accuse us of the shit you're in today, you got there completely by yourself.

Superficial.

They all change at the change of music. At the slightest change in politics.

This was the case back then, this is the case now. There's always been "high" periods for people where people were treated greatly. Then "low" periods where our innate nature shows up.

This is how it was. This is how it is. This is how it will be. Can't change unless we drastically change ourselves via DNA modifications.

Hello autism my old friend

Ill be fun at parties again

That WE WUZ KANGZ.

>I dont have it so bad
>things have been far worse
>Extraordinary things can be accomplished by ordinary people
>we are lving in end times

>Everything repeats and no one learns anything from history
>We live in a very fragile golden age of immense luxury, freedom, and safety that could collapse at any moment
>Most great people dont die peaceful deaths
>The bad guys always win
>the wisdom of the ancients was mostly correct and throwing away thousands of years of knowledge was a bad idea

manlets are going to invade and kill us all