DOOM General

Wraiths edition.
No one knows who they were, or what they were doing.

>DOOM General chat
discord.gg/011CjebySrvObyBJk

>Classic DOOM guide
oi63.tinypic.com/p0fb9.jpg

>Wiki
doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_(2016)

>Trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=ybo30QlSk64

>Thread Theme
youtube.com/watch?v=V19RWUghcH8

>Tip of the Day
Shoot it until it dies

Yes it's good, stop asking.
WE NEED MAPPERS AND PLAYTESTERS! APPLY TODAY!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V19RWUghcH8
youtube.com/watch?v=T-o-zxOUSPY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So after some valid criticism of the dark room at the end of the Avatar of Sin map, I've hit the drawing board again.

It was dumb of me to think everyone has the same brightness settings as me, my monitor enhances features in dark areas so I have no problem with the room, but either way I admit it is unimaginative to simply have a fight in darkness.

So instead, I've decided to have the lights flicker on and off during the fights, and I'm currently tweaking exactly how long they stay off/on for each encounter. Fights like the cacodemons obviously that are hard to see I'll want more visibility, so I'll probably have a faster strobe, but enemies like the glowing Razers I might leave them off for longer.

I'd love some input.

at first i hated the dark room, but my second runthrough i had no issues with it

Veeky ForumsDOOM discord:

I've got a map I'm working on but I want to lead the player across the level to the exit by spawning enemy groups in the required rooms after he flips the switch that unlocks the door. The logic is supposed to flow that the next spawn happens after the current fight ends but they don't trigger.

anyone on ps4 want to MP?

I probably wouldn't mind if Doom didn't seem to be actively trying to kill my PS4. Every time I run the disk it crashes my PS4. At best, I get to the opening of the Single Player and it talks about ripping and tearing then POP it crashes.

But so far it usually doesn't even get that far. It just crashes my PS4, turning off my controller and cutting the video feed, but the light for the machine is still on but the power button is nonresponsive. The only way to turn it off is to unplug it.

I went back and got a new disk, same fucking issue. I have no goddamn idea what to do.

I'm already neck deep in this shit, so the republish is happening.
Thanks for telling me though, maybe I'll keep the light on duration down to minimum of one second, and during the 6 baron phase I'll have them flicker at half second and color shift.

Unless anyone has any objections, that's the new publish I'll do tonight.

At this exact moment I'm testing and fine-tuning the speed differentials during haste and finding a way to better balance it so it becomes a reload-speed boost instead of speed boost.

So I got the yellow key.
And used it.
And died immediately.

I would contact sony. When I bought my ps2 it was shotty from the factory and they replaced it with no hassle.

I've been using this ps4 for like, two years and it's worked fine. The other games still seem to work same as they always have. I've never had this problem before, now it happens every time I try to run Doom, and ONLY when I run Doom.

But it's not the disk. I had a used disk first, got it replaced with a new one, still had the same issue. I've tried deleting the game and the save data and reinstalling it, but it's not working. At this point I'm playing another game waiting for the update to download again, which take four fucking hours.

>>>Thread Theme
>youtube.com/watch?v=V19RWUghcH8
>Finding the Secrets
Good taste OP

So I discovered that Haste lasts exactly 31.3 seconds, so I set a timer to restrict movement speed to 0% at exactly 31.3 seconds and saw how far I could run with and without haste, then fine tuned them until the distances were the same. This is where I've wound up, which is basically pixel perfect, so Haste has been officially retooled to be Reload Speed. I wonder if I have play the Vega clip Reload on pickup if it will replace him saying Haste?

Be thankful, that room originally had 8 Hell Knights and 2 Cacaodemons and a doorlock. It was one of the first major nerfs I did right before my first publish, I cut it down to six and one but removed the haste, I also removed the doorlock though so you should be able to kite them back the way you came. Now that I have haste working as intended however I might put it back.

Just trying to find ways to expand our OP, and yeah that's still my favorite classic tune. Really hoping we're given a way to place custom music into snapmaps, officially or otherwise.

>picked Nightmare for my first run
>got to the Lazarus Labs
>suddenly, artificial difficulty kicks in
This is retarded. I have no BFG ammo, haven't gotten chainsaw fuel for about 2 hours, and I'm being swarmed by Hell Knights, Aaron Rodgers Imps, those faggot nofunallowed shield guys, Mancubi, and Revenants every room. And the room I'm stuck on now is tiny and is poorly designed in terms of fluidity, so I'm running into walls or the fist of a Hell Knight.

Think I'm dropping down to Ultra Violence. When the Imps literally have their fireballs change trajectory in mid-air to follow me, the game goes from difficult to flat out cheating.

On the plus side, playing on Nightmare made me a beast in multiplayer.

Of course I forgot my image why wouldn't I

>can't paste snapmap codes into ingame search box

No features that can't be supported on consoles are allowed in to the codebase.

Gotta love console parity

CRACK WHEN

Why is this game so fucking expensive. Haven't seen a 60bucks game in a while.

>Game is the same price as every other new AAA release
>Why is it so expensive

Stop being poor.

>Stop being poor.
Its not that easy, m9

I'm a poor ass college student living on my own. I'd love to be rich, I realllllly would be.

I'm on PC, I made a fairly difficult survival map with 4 main waves, it's impossible with one guy cause not enough ammo so I need someone to test with me, any taker?

That sounds like a ridiculous amount of effort for a map

Okay, finally finished this shit.
Give opinions please.

If you still need help I'd lend a hand, I need a break, my brain is starting to hurt.

So all I know is, the single-player is god-like. The music is some of the best I've heard in a shooter for the last 16 years. But if the MP beta is anything to go on, standard MP is trash.

Are there servers on PC that host custom game modes and snapmap content? Or is the online solely the sub-Halo tier shooter we got in beta.

MQ2MVSFF is the code.

Also debating a color change during the last phase, thoughts?

Mkay, host a lobby and I'll search.

Does any one know what the red triangular canister things are? They show up late in the single player and tend to be right next to ammo piles like it is ammo, but you can't pick it up.

You can matchmake into snapmap content but there aren't a lot of people playing, part of the problem is that you can't join snapmap games already in progress.

I wish the multiplayer weren't so grimdark looking. Yeah yeah, it's Doom, I get it, but every level I played has walls covered in blood. I'd like more UAC levels.

Alright, final final version is up.

2J8SL874

Added lighting in darkroom, speed balancing for Haste pickups, and health balancing around the Red keycard. I also finally implemented the double score for the Nightmare button, so the scoreboard can appropriately separate the men from the boys.

I also went back on my urge to put up POIs for the boss switches. I just decided that if the audio cues, glowing terminals, and giant green spotlights aren't enough for people to get the hint then I'm shocked they made it there in the first place.

some kind of grenade maybe?

A few things.

First off, I get the feeling that they player is not supposed to spawn directly into the final room when booting up the map. Not too sure, it could be some new age "Catch a glimpse of the boss then get sent back to the start" kind of thing, but I'm not sure here.

Second off, dark room Hell Raisers right before said final room. I'm getting the feeling that they are designed to waste your ammo here since it takes a whopping 3 super shotgun shots to Glory Kill them. I know what you do get the Rocket Launcher to help with this, but if you for some odd reason die before this room, you respawn with out it, and its pickup location will remain empty.

Not that big of a deal, but the Hell Raiser wave doesn't come with ammo, so with only one weapon you will almost always run out in the Cacodemon wave as a result. A single ammo box spawn would alleviate this.

Will we get DLC?

It's where all the sales come from

Jesus fucking christ, Going on 20 fucking hours of mapping straight, I'm losing my mind. I had the spawn at the end to test the last fight, I can NOT believe I forgot to move it back before publishing it. I'm so fucking embarassed. Republished with proper spawning.

ZUNQSK6X

Ugh. Anyways it sounds like you've played it at least once before, and as far as the dark room goes, the ammo rationing is by design. The thing is you need to only pick up the ammo boxes when you need them. I have every box doubled, meaning they are 36 shells each. If you pick up boxes when you have 80+ shells you will run out, I tried doing same thing with health, punishing people for grabbing the large health while at 90 already.

Fuck me I"m going back to sleep, wake me up in 12 hours.

What's the easiest method for setting up multiplayer doom 1 and 2? I tried looking at that tinypic link but the images is, well, tiny.

Zandronum.com

It's said that olivia's exoskeleton wracking her body woth pain from the skoliosis, and she refuses pain med for fear of dulling her mind, couldn't she have just had surgery done to sever the problematic nerve receptors?

Holy fuck Doom 4 is trash.

youtube.com/watch?v=T-o-zxOUSPY

This is just embarrassing. Anyone claiming that Doom 4 is in any way comparable to the originals in speed is undeniably a shill.

single player was fun on UV. it's a homage and a reboot, not a 1:1 remake.
multiplayer underwhelming
snapmaps kinda cool
i didnt feel buyers remorse till ~35 hours

HERE

It's not designed for these levels dumbass

are the people on the multiplayer just really fucking bad? i have a 4 k/d right now and can't tell if it's because everyone's fucking trash or i'm just that much better than the average person

Not him but is the player speed reduced in these areas or is it just cus they're a lot bigger than the regular levels?

If the open beta was any indication, it's because they're really fucking bad.

I'm not really good at playing FPS against others (I'm dog shit at Quake Live), but I often kick ass at this game.

There are plenty of big and massive areas on Doom 4 levels but those are much more vertical and enemies do know how to deal with it. Also regular levels dump demons with such different setups and combinations.

i usually only have a 1.5 to 2 k/d in most fps games but a 4 k/d is a huge increase. i think you're right and that people are just really bad at this game

or, maybe, this game is 100% CBMM and doesn't factor skill in whatsoever with the matchmaking algorithm, but i doubt that's the case

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that Classic Doom maps are relatively larger than Doom '16's missions. However, your run speed was also relatively faster in the original games, thus making your traversal time across those original maps roughly similar to your traversal time across the new ones. When you import the original layouts into the new game but keep the proportions the same without increasing the player's movement speed, the end result is that it 'feels' slower to move through them - Doomguy's current speed was designed to accommodate the new levels, not the old ones. The same phenomenon occurred with Wolfenstein: The New Order; playing classic Wolfenstein 3D levels is strange because it takes longer to run through them. Take this with a grain of salt as it's only conjecture on my part, but having played hundreds of hours of classic Doom across thousands of levels, it's the conclusion I've arrived at.

Is it selling well?

No official sales data yet from what I've seen, but SteamSpy.com estimates close to 500,000 from Steam alone. Combine that with console sales, and you're probably looking at well over a million copies within the first two weeks, perhaps more than 1.5 million. Also note that - according to UK sales charts, at least - the Week over Week drop-off is surprisingly low. Uncharted 4 dominated the UK charts in its first week, but its second week sales dropped by 78%, which I don't think is unexpected since high profile games like that see the majority of their sales at launch. Doom, on the other hand, only dropped 35%. Granted, it has the advantage of being a multi-platform release, but this does indicate that word of mouth and reviews finally being up after launch led to a considerable number of new copies being sold. It may have some decent longevity in weekly sales as word of mouth continues to spread and the market reacts to this seemingly strange new FPS that doesn't have reloading or regenerating health (which is a novel idea for a lot of people used to modern shooters), but we'll have to wait and see. In any case, I don't think it's doing badly at the moment.

bump

Doom 16 maps are bigger.

Bump

How does one become a "Swag King"?

No idea

>NuDoom might become so popular that other AAA game devs will try to copy what it did and make fast paced gameplay a trend, a la what happened when COD4 was released

Hell, certain recent AAA FPS games are beginning to show a little bit of an Arena FPS mentality, even before NuDoom came out.

Like what?

The first that come to mind are Advanced Warfare and BOIII. You could even argue that UT4 counts, too.

I actually didn't like blops3 because it was too slow. The movement was a halfway decent pace but the health pools really slow the combat down.
I only got it because I liked blops2 and I was actually pretty disappointed with 3.

The problem is that everyone is going to misunderstand what makes d44m good and fuck it up.

True, but on the other hand, perhaps they'll mainly take inspiration from it, and make something that's new but with similar game design philosophies, if that makes sense.

ultra-nightmare is pushing my shit in

and I swear to god if I have to listen to vega talk about upgrading my suit one more time I'm gonna snap

UT4 is just a straight up continuation of one of the big oldschool FPS series, so I guess it only really counts inasmuch as we haven't had an Unreal game for a while.

I hope that doesn't happen, I'd like there to be actual variety in what comes out. There's a place for more measured, semirealistic FPS, though I wouldn't mind seeing the death of corridor shooters.

They really should have had that stuff be automatically skipped in UN.

Bump

Any way to make a map near pitch black?

And I wish there was a way to enable wjat sorts of attacks enemy use, and player speed.

hey is the new doom cracked already?

the funny part is that arena style shooters didn't actually go anywhere they either bombed or weren't successful enough

being fair nobody (or at the very least treyarch) working on the series actually wants to make call of dutys anymore.

treyarch made it obvious with the original black ops as the earliest example

not him but i thought BO2 was pretty bad

multiplayer while it wasn't bad it was basically the same as it ever was, zombies was a giant step back compared the first black ops with olny half of the maps actually being good and the only good thing about the single player was the RTS segments & having loadouts in the campaign

>mfw brutal doom is a better experience than DooM4
for fuck's sake

I think you are incorrect but I do admit because the demons hit like dump trucks and don't stun so easily, you don't spam executions so much in Brutal Doom

I play in realism mode and its fun as fuck, and the shotgun actually feels good.

>3 hits to stun a zombie soldier

bullshit.

I DO agree Weapons come out feeling gimped because of the nature of the Glory Kill mechanic

So is this how it goes?

Doomguy, being trapped in Hell post Doom 2, kills his way across the helliverse for x period of time, until he meets up with the Night Sentinels. He helps them kill demons for another x time period until they are betrayed and the demons drop a castle on him after he kills their greatest warrior.

He is then put in a box with DO NOT OPEN until he is found by iron man, who will be the antagonist of any sequel that is made due to him stealing the lightsaber at the end.

Basically. Also every wad ever made is somewhere in hell that he popped up at and had to cleanse of demons.

>tfw trying to find a way to cycle through integers in SnapMap with a repeat and string builder instead of having to build a clusterfuck spiderweb of connections to each integer to display it's value when a cycle would be better
I wish I could convert a string as integer value, because it builds the string just fine, but I have no way to turn that string into an integer...

bamp

>can't damage pinky from the front
But you can, they just take longer to kill from the front.

I am trying to make Simon Says, with 4 player support, and even a 3-strikes-and-you're-out rule with visible "healthbars". And already I'm having a headache, when I think of the amount of logic I need to setup...

Why the hell is the music so fucking quiet in this game?

you can adjust it

It's maxed out and still quiet.

you can lower everything else and turn up your system sound

I didn't think it was quiet at all.

user see your doctor you appear to be going deaf.

NX56VD8L

Fixed a bug that started the explosion chain before entering the Avatar room, fixed a bug that started the auto-haste when picking up yellow card, removed decals from final fight room because reflections of all those explosions was killing peoples FPS. Rebalanced health placements and made the exit viewable from the darkroom. Scoreboard will now properly reflect if you're in easy, normal or nightmare modes. Joining nightmare mode will now also give you ammo box equipment and a haste dispenser. Picked up floor clutter in two rooms and used the object % to place 60 new lights around the map for mood and emphasis.

Before I opened SnapMaps, I had 30 hours played. Since I started this map, I haven't done anything besides work on it, and I'm up to 138 hours. Send help.

>8.46% objects
>Only 846 logic nodes

Step it up son, only 30% of my objects is actually objects, which means 7000 logic nodes. That being said, if you want any help or advice let me know, I've found a way to just about anything in the last 100 hours. Best tip I can give you is Gates. Gates are your best friend.

I have an idea of what I'm doing, it's just that I have just started building my idea and I try to think ahead ... a long way ahead.
In my other map, I almost hit the object percentage limit : 7X56DDYL , and no one has yet to complete it, how strange!

I like your map a lot, but i'm not that good and hate spending 20 min an attempt on it

Snapmap's search function is extremely shitty. It displays everything in a list starting with ! and symbols into numbers and then alphabetically.
And I've not noticed a way to jump to any where in the list, you just have to keep scrolling.
Unless you have a rare tag that people would actually search, you pretty much need to name your map something dumb like ! game to have it appear in a place where someone will see it.
Either that or shill your map online so people can find its code.
My survival map is 7TGYKFBM, pretty much designed for at least 2 players, I'd say for four but I can't figure out how to turn off friendly fire.
I'll play yours later tonight.

I'm really sorry to hear it man, I had a really hard decision to make when I first published it.
I could either have infinite lives, so everyone can finish it easily, and everyone would see all my hard work, or I make it challenging enough that the people that beat it feel like they earned the ending.

I'm starting to understand why so many modern games feel like watered down turds, they have to make sure they're easy and accessible enough for everyone to beat it or they won't get good reviews.

I don't know what to do man. I could give you the weapon unlock code you get for beating it if you like, if you promise not to spread it around.

Huh, looks like Doom 2016 re-used the SSG from Call of Doom.

I wonder what other stuff they re-used.

I don't want you to make it easier. I actually like your level a lot. It's just really hard for me. Maybe I should try the easier mode.

It's silly to think they threw out 100% of the models and ideas they made.
They just changed the focus of the game from CoD to Doom and set it in the far future instead of the near future. I'll bet some of the demon designs were given minor changes and put into DOOM.

Argent tower anyone?

I hope id sheds some more light on this version of the game some day, no matter how shitty it was.

It would be a good way to get used to it, but just so you're aware, on easy mode you aren't allowed access to the final boss room

I tried really hard to make the level around the oldschool playstyle, modeled after Plutonia.wad level flow, so you've got to stick to the classic tactics. Just finished my fastest Nightmare run on my latest publish, so I can give you some advice if you like. I typically don't fire unless both barrels are literally in a demons nose. Never stop strafing, use pillars and corners for cover, use fast-peek-fire as often as possible.
Like the first Mancubus you find, I specifically put him in Defend mode so he won't leave that spot. Jump up to bait his shot, duck down to dodge then jump back to shoot him in the face, repeat until dead. The spiral staircase is the same way, except for the last one they are all in defend, so you can use the middle pillar for cover. Peek out, strafe back to dodge fire, jump around the pillar and blast him in the face, repeat. If there's a particular spot you're stuck let me know I guess.

if nothing else an elaboration of the Hell on Earth section of Doom would be nice after two different reboots on mars

What if Doom 5 is Earth on Hell, where humans posessed by angels invade Hell and start fucking shit up and you actually have to save the demons, in the process going to Heaven and killing all the angels, and the final boss is God