What if the Anglo-Saxons had won the Battle of Hastings? What would be the consequences?

What if the Anglo-Saxons had won the Battle of Hastings? What would be the consequences?

Modern English would sound like Frisian.

Without the Angevins/Plantagenets sticking their dick into France the French Dukes would have probably become more and more autonomous until France was either balkanised and/or subsumed into the >H >R >E

The Feudal System and Britain's obsession with class will not exist.

Simply because the Anglo-Saxons were a community of equals (well, with Thanes n shiet) that lacked the Feudal systems of the continent which bound people to lands.

It might not even spell the end of William, let alone any larger effects. Without pursuit capability, it's unlikely that Williams force will be wiped out, and as long as he raids, he can bring in plunder to hire more mercenaries.

You'd need to specify in greater detail the scope of the victory.

The language would be different

Question about the Normans of this time period. This is well before the creation of the couched lance and their cavalry seemed to use spears instead. Would Norman cavalry spears be used to charge much like later lances or were they mostly used to throw and/or jab at enemy infantry in melee settings?

The Bayeux tapestry shows both (guy on the right, the one on the brown horse, opposed to the rest). But to be fair most riders are shown using their spears in the traditional "throwing/stabbing" way.

Nah.

Norman Cavalry is basically a copy of Frankish Cavalry. And those niggas couched already.

>Normans conquered Britain
>Norman = Northman = Vikings
>A Norman (Bohemond) led the 1st crusade that conquered the Holy Land
>Russia = Rus = Vikings
>1st man in Space was Russian
>1st man on South & North pole were both Nordic
>A Viking (Leif Eriksson) discovered America
It's not an "anglosphere", it's a Swedesphere. England (and thus America) is actually a Viking colony. Russia is also a Viking colony. It's a Nordic world, you're just living in it.

>Vikings = swedes

Nah. Most vikings hailed from either Denmark or Norway. Swedish vikings scoured the Baltic, but at much lesser extent.

b-but muh varangians

>we wuz vikangz n shieeet

Go back to your cuckshed Sven, you don't want Muhammad to get angry with you

russians = vikings = swedes = muslims = egyptians = ancient egyptians

OMG all russians are descended from ancient egyptians!

I hope it would be more like Low German
I wish Low German wasn't practically extinct ;_;

King cnut's son would become king of danemark and analgand

Balts burned their capital of Sigtun, so it was a mutual dick-swinging.

England would remain a backwater shithole closer to Scandinavia than Western Europe.

The english language would have about half the amount of words as it does now, and it's possible we would still be using names like egberht and godric, instead of william and henry

English would be literally 1000x better and more consistent as a language

if i had a single wish it'd be to arrive in England at the eve of the conquest with crates of rifles.

>>we wuz vikangz n shieeet
what the fuck wuz they then?

>Club

Why?
I mean, I know it's a representation of what's in the tapestry and I get bishops using maces instead of swords (something about not spilling blod or whatever).
But is there some symbolism for portraying someone using a blunt wooden club like some caveman stuck in the 1100's?

England becomes an irrelevant Sweden tier country.

France rules the world.

Not every Norseman live a life of vikingry (a.k.a. piracy).

Consequences would never be the same.

England was an irrelevant Sweden-tier country until they invested heavily in their Navy and started the Industrial Revolution

ud probably have had a northern style pax germanic and russia to portugal would have been conquered 700 years ago.

Nah, it was always more relevant than Sweden.

England would never have been great or form an empire as she did.

Norman surnames are much more common among the upper class and aristocracy till this day than Anglo-Saxon ones because superior genes stay at the top.

>Norman = Northman = Vikings

When they arrived in France maybe, but by 1066, they had racemixed for two centuries and adopted local culture
William had less than 25% of Danish admixture

Swedes = Kievan Rus, Byzantine, Middle east

Danes = England, France, Mediterranean sea

Norwegians = Scotland, Ireland, Iceland

If William failed it was his end.
He burned his ships and more and more Fyrdsmen were pouring in by the day.
William would have had the whole of Sussex against him, he nor his men would have survived the afternoon.
Government would have been better probably for all of Europe eventually, language might be likeGood things mayne....

>analgand

England would sorely lack fortifications and a modernized military. They probably would have been invaded again by France or another Scandinavian kingdom and conquered.

>bishops using maces instead of swords (something about not spilling blod or whatever)
This is a meme. It was started by an overinterpretation of said tapestries.

What the fuck is this

I'm fine with naming my kids Aethelfrith and Aelfric, tbqh

>invaded again by France

What an excellent meme

>William's soldiers were French
>William was France's bitch
>"f-french invasion of England ? d-don't make me laugh !!!!"

A Breton or Fleming from that period of history would probably knock your teeth out if you called him "French". And even the Normans were of mixed stock and considered themselves separate from the actual French.

Seriously, calling the Scots "English" would be more correct than calling William's army "French".

>Breton
They couldn't hurt an ant
>Flemish
Fuck them

>Seriously, calling the Scots "English" would be more correct than calling William's army "French".
How ?

>If William failed it was his end

You're basing this on what exactly?

>He burned his ships

He did no such thing. He kept his lines of communication open with Normandy, and was occupying a fortified camp with which to winter in.

> more Fyrdsmen were pouring in by the day.

One of the reasons Harold committed to when he did is a lot of his fyrd's time was coming to a close, and he needed to fight then or risk WIlliam just walking into London while he was trying to muster a new one.

>William would have had the whole of Sussex against him, he nor his men would have survived the afternoon.

Funny how that hadn't happened in the close to 3 weeks before Harold showed up, in which time William didn't demonstrate any particular hurry to be anywhere else.

>How ?

Well firstly 20-30% of William's army was Breton or Flemish and therefore definitely not French.

The Scots language is a direct descendent of Old English, whereas Old Norman was a bastardised mix with slightly more French grammar than Norse.

And the Lowland Scots are actually descended from the Angles that settled in Lothian whereas the Normans were mix of Northmen, other Germanic settlers and Frenchmen.

Scots is descended from Middle English speaking settles brought in by the Norman kings of Scotland

>definitely not French

So like I said, Scots is a direct descendent of Old English.

see >muh eugenics

Back to /pol/ with you.

Oh, another anti/pol/ poster

Intrasding

>France rules the world

Waterloo.

It's a "what if" thread, imbecile

no more than english. it descended from MIDDLE english, nit OLD english.