/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

>New /agdg/ Website (STILL IN BETA! REPORT BUGS, COMPLAINTS, SUGGESTIONS)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
Unity: unity2d.com/
Source: developer.valvesoftware.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.valvesoftware.com/
forum.logicalgamers.com/junkyard/32078-ask-former-Veeky
thetagames.itch.io/dienworlds
github.com/HowDoGameDev/AgdgRecap
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Cellular_Automata_Method_for_Generating_Random_Cave-Like_Levels
strawpoll.me/10292259
youtube.com/watch?v=Qw88zQTxq48
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I believe in you

Subdomain of the website where I put up my programming related shit:
boreal.aggydaggy.com

This shouldn't cause any sickness in VR right?

That's retarded. First, what's the fear of them holding a grudge? Second, is your honest feedback "its shit"? Otherwise why would they have a grudge? People leave trips and names on and it's no big deal.

We already have that. And it's ignorable, a tiny minority. Most people who come here (who aren't scared off by torrential shitposting) are just here to talk gamedev without identity bullshit.

Per-thread post IDs on Veeky Forums is a good idea.

Looks fine to me.

>pillars aren't moving with the floor

====WEEKLY RECAP====
Reposting the recap with the selected theme from last night. Going to look into adding stats like first post date and number of recaps entered.

>Source: developer.valvesoftware.com/
Why is this in the OP? Why do you insist on fucking up the OP every time you post it?

Some insights on why it sometimes takes time for shitters to get banned :

forum.logicalgamers.com/junkyard/32078-ask-former-Veeky Forums-janitor-anything.html

>____dev is such a bro, bla bla bla
>____dev is a dick, I can't believe he was so mean bla bla bla
>Yeah, so after you post progress in a thread you're no longer allowed to give honest feedback for fear that they'll hold a grudge

this already happens literally every day

see: constant BLAKE REEEE SOURCEFAM NODEV GET OUT GOOGEM WHERE IS UR GAME AAAAAAA shitposting

But when someone posts some boob it gets deleted instantly.

did you even read the link? things that are obvious violations of the rules do get deleted more easily, yes.

>for you

>It already happens
>So it should be made easier
Great argument.

Lewd

cute, but try it without moving the top part

no because you will be the only one playing it

this doesn't get me dizzy

this gets me dizzy

it's not about easier or harder, it'll happen the same amount as currently. Because the people who are retarded like that will stay retarded like that, and the people who aren't, don't care about such things and are actually here for gamedev.

how would i go about starting an action-game in unity, if im a beginner?

or, is there something else that can help me ease my way into it?

It's already making me sick even without the VR.

Hmm. Give me a minute.
Don't care, i dev for fun
Wait until i fix the top part of the pillars

>Source: developer.valvesoftware.com/
literally why

Pong

No one who does that shit will care about having ideas. They clearly get off on the concept of being some kind of boogeyman.

>having ideas.
Did you mean "having IDs", shitfam? Are you fully drunk right now? lol.

Just put up a separate no-music version of my game ĐiệnWorlds, for those who might not like a 100MB download:

thetagames.itch.io/dienworlds

For those who didn't see it earlier: it's a freeware power grid management/tycoon-style game (written in C) that involves cellular automata. I'm really proud of it, and just want others to see the ideas I had (I do think the game is pretty unique).

really?

Who?

The entire reason he shitposts every day is because he thinks he can get IDs installed by doing that. You'd only be validating his behaviour.
I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here in assuming this is two people who are both not him, which I'm seriously doubting, but this message applies to everyone with similar ideas anyway.
The idea that a single thread on a board should have IDs because one person posts spam is fucking stupid. How would you even apply that, or are you saying the whole board should have IDs because of agdg shitposting?
Besides how stupid that already is, as you stated yourself, all the shitposting is based around assumed ids, so having real ids is only going to make the shitposting stronger and apply to more targets.

That's pretty cool user. I have a soft spot for ncurses stuff, looks like you pulled it off well.

May I ask how you create the water/terrain maps?

Do you mind if I start putting your weekly recap scrapes on the tools site? I'm sure some people would find it convenient to be able to check it out without hoping someone will repost it.

Also,
There's still time to submit your game for the monthly recap I'm putting up if anyone like. Just reply to this post with a WebM/image (or multiple) and fill this out:

Game Name:
Dev Name(s):
Website(s):
Tools Used:
Synopsis of game:
Progress:

I'll be taking submissions until Friday, and then finalizing a layout and design and putting up the recap online. A small, unfinished demo of what to expect can be found at recap.aggydaggy.com.

If anyone wants, they can talk to me about getting their own aggydaggy.com subdomain for their games, projects, tutorials, etc. I already gave one to an user to host their gamedev programming tutorials at boreal.aggydaggy.com and I don't mind handing more out.

>The entire reason he shitposts every day is because he thinks he can get IDs installed by doing that.
Where did you get this from? Is this some new piece of lore I didn't know about?

What can I say I'm a pleaser

The IDs last for one fucking thread.

If you couldn't contain your shitposting needs until the end of the thread at the risk of being "exposed" you shouldn't be posting to begin with.

Thread IDs are fine, its the retarded victimized mentality that needs to end with it though or else it won't work. Hence it won't ever work.

In a perfect world though, etc

That's not new, are you new? Do you not remember the Veeky Forums spamming? The more recent 420chan spamming?
He's been trying to move the community to a site he can more easily identify targets on since he first put the trip on.

I think that should be read as
>p-please guys don't, no, it would be a really bad idea, you love my samefagging

Go for it.
Github is here:
github.com/HowDoGameDev/AgdgRecap

Did you see my new game objects writeup? That's what I was talking about.

how afraid of ids the shitposter is should say how much we need them

my stommach feels weird when i look at this
not even sick just weird
i'm afraid to look at this for long

I have a bunch of great screenshots of shitposters being banned day1 of the attempted move to 420chan, so I seriously doubt they're interested in people migrating.

Oh good the old OP full of garbage is back

Thanks user, but I literally meant the image(s) you've already been posting if that wasn't clear, not scraping my own stuff.
I already forked it a few days ago because I want to rework it to produce JSON data for my online recap page.

I wrote my own procedural generation script. Mountains are generated with essentially this algorithm:

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Cellular_Automata_Method_for_Generating_Random_Cave-Like_Levels

Then, it assigns a heightmap to the mountains/non-mountains by iteratively counting up neighbors (so it ends up that mountains that deeply surrounded by lots of other mountains have a high height value, and similarly for plains, but in the negative direction).

It then picks a few random points to seed "rivers," then generates rivers by following the gradient downhill. The final step is then to fatten the rivers a bit.

I haven't! I'll check it out. I've been too busy to do much today.

Also guys plz rate my candle
Yeah I'll report back tomorow after i've tried it in VR.

>Do you not remember the Veeky Forums spamming?
I do, and I remember how hilariously it crashed and burned and how fast everyone turned on him when that thread was made. But I thought it was because he was scared of being samefagged on, not that he wanted some identifier for people.

Though it explains the very pointed namefag-based bullying, I guess. d* really did ruin everything.

But they kept coming. And while "why is source allowed wah wah" is just a meme here, 420chan seems to have ACTUALLY banned source users. I asked a question about how to do something in source once, and got banned on the spot.

Here's the new girl in the game

yes exactly like that, but then add another array modifier linked to another empty, this will add X cubes for each cube in your first array. You can do this as many times as you want but it gets pretty chaotic sometimes even with 2.

I've been using blender since I was something like 12. I made a game back in the days that I might post. It was pretty atmospheric. You were just a sphere but I was borrowing a lot of stuff from majora mask and OOT. My levels were pretty cool for a 12 year old I think. There was one that was in this huge open cavern and you explored for a bit but then you'd find an artifact that made everything crumble and reveal lava everywhere. I wish I could find it.

Anyway, my topology was still shit just a few months ago. This model is the best I've ever done and it's still in need of improvements but hey, baby steps. I've probably tried to make this a few dozen times, all shit topology.

I've posted here before.

Game Name: Adventures Of Ribbert
Dev Names: diest, flobster
Tools Used: Aseprite, GameMaker
Synopsis of game: ur a frog
Progress:
-3D progress again
-Proc gen progress

Also, I'm glad you think it's cool. I had fun using pdcurses, and I like how the overall aesthetic turned out.

it's not worth it /agdg/

> I asked a question about how to do something in source once, and got banned on the spot.
This is the single complaint I've seen about the 420/agdg/ moderation, and I suspect it came from you every time it's come up.

Moderation is very reasonable on 420chan and kirtaner is personally on Veeky Forums there a lot. I'm sure if it really happened (and you weren't just "WHY IS SOURCE ALLOWED HURR") you could get unbanned, though it was probably a short ban anyhow and you're just worried people will go somewhere that actually moderates.

>Just woke up
>remember that before I passed out earlier I finally got my melee attacks to work

fuck yeah!

what's up aggydaggs? What are you working on today?

strawpoll.me/10292259

Restarting my game for the 17th time.

And I'm not saying IDs are bad. They really help the more 'wild west' boards. It definitely works for large communities, but in a small creative community like agdg where there's 100 regulars tops and everyone's putting their ego on the line, where critique can easily cause hurt feelings, having IDs completely destroys the point of anonymity.

I was just doing this to train but i'm so using this.

Building my game's UI again - this time without having to rush through and half-ass everything.

IIRC I asked something along the lines of "how can I direct NPCs very finely", and got banned immediately. I don't remember what the exact question was, but it was something like that.

>you're just worried people will go somewhere that actually moderates.
>i-if u complain UR LE BOOGEYMAN + SUBTLE SABOTEUR
wow fampai nice paranoia homie.

>What are you working on today?
Beating ZoE2 on Extreme because fuck game dev. Use the wrong engine, and suddenly you're an international terrorist to everyone.

I started experimenting with graphics. I'm not very good at it at all so I'm just trying to draw over a screenshot of my game (with placeholder graphics) to see if I am capable of making graphics that don't remind people of gonorrhea or if I should just pay someone.

Going alright so far I guess.

>Game Name:
Hacking game
>Dev Name(s):
vestigial
>Website(s):
vestigialdevelopment.com
>Tools Used:
Unity
>Synopsis of game:
hacking-themed open world puzzle game
>Progress:
+Cookies/sessions/saved form fields
+Mission hub based around Uplink
+Starting procedural generation
-lack of artists, designers, writers, producer, marketers starting to be a problem

Better luck this time, friend.

Nice! Looks good. Reminds me of the soul blade edge master mode book (this isn't a joke, incase you're unfamiliar with the game)

You shouldn't worry about what people say about your engine. I use Unity and it gets insulted here all the time, but I'm making my game all the same.

I'm in a similar position, just using mixamo models right now whilst I learn. I'll probably end up with programmer art but nevermind.

move the candle

>I use Unity and it gets insulted here all the time
every other post in these threads is "Unity is the only way to make a game", fuck outta hear fake nigga

All of those posts are from sourceposter...

Getting this text box to work properly and then getting my HUD sorted out so I can get rid of that text in the corner.

Game Name: VirtuaWave
Dev Name(s): jetnetdev
Website(s): gamedev-neoncity.tumblr.com , twitter.com/VirtuaWave
Tools Used: Unity, SubstancePainter, Blender
Synopsis of game: FAST jetski racing game
Progress:
+added a intro scene & intro theme
+skip intro button
-I have been thinking about making a hubworld with interactive NPC and whats the best way to implement, not totaly sure about it
-still havent made a proper opponent AI

Damn, son. Looks nice. I might be showing my age, but I loved Wave Race 64 when I was a kid.

Wondering what the best avatar solution for VR is. Basing the head position on a node within the shape seems to cause warping problems when dealing with rotating the player object since the head position is typically off-center within the player models coordinate system.

e.g. if you rotate the player model to point it in whatever direction the player is looking, the head will be displaced by the rotation (depending how far it is from the center), and thats not even taking into account the positional tracking info from the vr system.

Only "foolproof" system I can think is just to make the player model or head node move to accomadate the players head being in a specific location, then use an ik solver to correct the legs and such. Either that or have no player model at all.

Anyone dealt with this shit?

Have an articulate neck?

>the head will be displaced by the rotation
so counter rotate the head when you rotate the body

>have no player model at all.
Best option until we get limb tracking. It's too jarring looking down and seeing your body in a different position.

>if you rotate the player model to point it in whatever direction the player is looking
Actually, yeah, this is dumb. Usually in VR you decouple the head orientation from the body orientation. Might as well make use of the extra 6DoF control.

Thanks!

The terrain in the level currently is more like a placeholder. I plan to get some terrain generator to make heightmaps and texture the terrain because handsculpting terrain doesnt look as realistic than proper heightmaps.

Deleting they can but apparently Janitors can't ban people without authorization from mods.

>pay attention to me!!
I'll talk to you dude, how's it going? I'm reading about image formats, it's kind of interesting

so people actually know who that person is and what they want and what they've done before, and this has been going on long for all this stuff to happen?
can't someone just dox him and send him a severed dog head or something already? either that or, you know, actual moderation

>can't someone just dox him and send him a severed dog head or something already?
Someone sent him a bomb, once.

since part of the shitposting seems to be blaming one name, I can't keep track of which, I feel like it's not just one person but a group, probably steamchat/irc faggotry.

How do you guys feel about the concept of getting points giving you advantages in the game? HP restores, unlockable parts of the stage, damage/combo bonuses, etc.

Does anyone have the latest version of Aseprite?

Currently running 1.1.4 and Aseprite not remembering the folder I want to save my work in is really annoying me more than it should. IIRC it's been fixed in the latest version (1.1.5+).

Depends on the context and execution, like anything else. The idea itself is sound, though. Look at Mario Bros, pretty successful and fun game.

One perspective is that it makes already-good play easier. There was a great post on the OpenMW forum somewhere about someone's idea for a skill system that rewarded failure, since that's how you learn. Like if you are a master lockpicker and pick an easy lock in one try, why should that teach you anything?

Debug tools yay.
Spider guys now move towards and away from the player depending on distance I dunno.

So yesterday/two days ago/whatever we were discussing the spider fella's projectiles.

Would you guys rather like a slow orb projectile thats easy to dodge but its slow speed makes it trouble in chaotic situations, or a laser that has full point-a-point-b connection after a blink and does low damage?

Good point, thanks!

My game is a hack n slash type deal, and I was thinking that if you score enough points through combos etc that the level would become larger/more difficult whilst giving you the rewards.

i.e. it's possible to complete level 1 without unlocking anything, but should you unlock certain areas the level is larger and more difficult/more enemies etc.

>OpenMW
Open Modern Warfare?

I don't really like it. I say, open up everything from the start, and let player skill handle any barriers that aren't plot-related.

post dev music

youtube.com/watch?v=Qw88zQTxq48

very job. u did it

Yeah but I also have to move the head too, thus leading onto the "maybe I need some IK here" bit.

Yeah, looks like decoupling the head is a good start, at least for the cases where they dont do a 180.

Still need to factor in the player deliberately *moving* the head to a weird location though, such as inside the torso or something which is perfectly possible even if you are just doing seated tracking. In one case i've noticed a dev for a VR chat program just moved the player model down into the ground, though it just feels a little cheap.

In this case I need to take into account the possibility of there being a model unfortunately. :(

How does this look? Sickening enough?

>Reminds me of the soul blade edge master mode book (this isn't a joke, incase you're unfamiliar with the game)

Funny, someone mentioned that last night to me as well. Must've been a popular game. I've never owned a Vita so I'm unfamiliar.

It was on the original playstation. It's the precursor to the soul calibur games if you're familiar

open implementation of Morrowind

shader or mesh script?