Am I weird if I tear up when I think of the fall of the Roman Empire?

Am I weird if I tear up when I think of the fall of the Roman Empire?

Anyone else get emotional over situations they are totally historically (and perhaps geographically) removed from?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N0PpTPvbr-4
youtu.be/jAYPN-1Yjt0?t=81
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes
No

The fall of the western Roman empire was simply the east getting rid of the diseased bodypart.

well that's something worth being sad about user

It would be like a surgeon taking an axe to a great singers tongue, or a master soccer players foot etc. A true cause for mourning at the loss, despite it not being a fatal blow.

Its a sad thing to think about. I get more angry though, angry at the fucking turks

The real Rome, not the eastern one

But the empire sucked.

The Republic, now that's something worth mourning.

maybe a little but a sympathize.
I get upset thinking about the Song dynasty falling to the Mongols.
Mongols are so fucking overrated.

We're all gonna carry that weight

How does anyone not shed a tear for the Native Americans

Every time OP.
Every time.

>a bunch of pedastic latins in skirts are finally finished off and replaced by the Germanic people that would shape the glory of modern europe

it was a Godsend tbqh

>ITT

youtube.com/watch?v=N0PpTPvbr-4

>hitler's thousand year Reich would end the way Wagner's masterpeice ended. With the destruction of of Germany and the twilight of the Gods.

The glory and horror really tears me up honestly.

The same Germanic people that would poorly emulate the same empire they destroyed for another thousand years because they couldn't think of a better way to form a civilized system.

>making the classic mistake of thinking that Germanic = solely Germany
what language do we talk in?

There is literally nothing wrong with pederasty or skirts

burning of Rome best day of my life

que?

A heavily frenchified and latinized """English""".

no habla espanol

>muh loan words

lrn2lingusitics nerd

Byzantine Empire, mainly because it was taken by turkroachdom.

Yes
Yes
I've cried thinking about the deaths of RFK, Cicero, Napoleon, and the Gracchi bros

I can't go a day anymore without spending at least 30 mins in silence just thinking about them. I wholeheartedly believe that what happened to the native people of the Americas is the worst event in human history. Primarily the native north Americans

I have no connection to the South (I actually found out I may have had some family in Kentucky in the 1800's tho), I grew up in the West and later in the North, I think the South was completely wrong both morally and politically, but for some reason the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia makes me feel a feel.

I guess it's just the thought of fighting through four years of brutal, horrible war, watching thousands of good young men die, and then having to say goodbye with nothing gained. They thought they could do anything and win every fight but they eventually got beaten by pure mathematics.

I have infinite respect for Southern fighting men even as a staunch Northerner. Never have such brave and worthy enemies ever challenged the United States.

Cotton planters were fucking scum and should have been hanged though.

There is nothing wrong with viewing the other side as human and worthy of respect. They were on the wrong side, but they weren't demons. Same goes for Germans in WWII. History is not a moral parable.

Hah

Same desu.

The battle of Cannae

But the average soldier isn't capable of killing humans without remorse, so propaganda has an important role. A fair view of history is not the same as a useful view of current conflict, and an unfair view of history can be very useful indeed with respect to current conflicts.

And how does dehumanizing the Confederate troops prove useful in 21st-century wars?

Even if propaganda is to be preferred over truth at the time, it seems quite counterproductive to refuse to engage in honest history much later.

Rome was a flea market of borrowed gods and conquered peoples, a bargain basement on two floors, earth and heaven, a mass of filth convoluted in a triple knot as in an intestinal obstruction. Dacians, Herulians, Scythians, Sarmatians, Hyperboreans, heavy wheels without spokes, eyes sunk in fat, sodomy, double chins, illiterate emperors, fish fed on the flesh of learned slaves. There were more people in the world than there have ever been since, all crammed into the passages of the Coliseum, and all wretched.

t. eternally cucked Athenian

The Western Empire was a massive fucking meme in the end

/thread

>t. Salvian

I'm with you there user. I get sad reading Augustus' wikipedia page.

I get real tear-y when hearing the second verse of the US anthem

youtu.be/jAYPN-1Yjt0?t=81

DDR, Soviet and Chinese anthems are also pretty inspiring

Lamenting the fall of Rome is not unusual, people have cried over far less

>Cotton planters were fucking scum and should have been hanged though.

Why? Most of our most important founding fathers were cotton planters.

>converts to christianity
>burns for a thousand years due to usuary & devaluement by debasing the gold content of the money currency supply
>ironic justice
>/r/ing whips.oprinicks

I do too, Brah

The Cotton planting class were the ones who instigated, agitated, and basically attacked the North like a group of fucking savages because they were going to loose a little bit of power on the federal level.

Not even because they were going to loose their slaves, but because they MIGHT not be as relevant in US politics.

It makes my blood boil thinking of how many Americans died because the cotton planters were afraid of loosing their death-grip on US politics.