Was it just an economical migration, or were they running from huns...

Was it just an economical migration, or were they running from huns? It seems pretty damn scary when you imagine a nation that can be so frightening it manages to scare away such huge amounts of people.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alenquer,_Portugal
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also for a good rage try googling Great Migration

It still baffles me how long distances some peoples traveled in this period while keeping hold of their tribal identity too

Goddamned Alans got from Caucasus to Iberia to Africa
Absolute madmen

Well, they were nomad people, basically traveling every day their whole lives. It just seems weird to us since we got used to sitting in one place.

Because back then, nothing was stopping them. You could move valley, to valley to valley.
There was no real civilizations outside of trade hubs.

Half the reason Romans even reacted to "Barbarian invasions" was because past some point, there was no real desolate Roman wilderness because civilization got thicker and thicker towards the large mega cities.

There's a few reasons.

They were running from people who were running from the Huns, it was a domino effect. But also they had grown overpopulated for their lands, at least by the standards of their farming, and climate change was also occurring making it look better to move west and south. Also with Rome being so weak it was a much more attractive proposition to go and settle in the warmer, fertile and wine heavy lands. You must remember Rome had been facing invasions mostly being migrations for all its history, it was just strong enough to stop them most of the time.

Keeping their tribal identity seems interesting too to me. I mean, it was like lets say 100 000 people at minimum, with cavemen technology, which managed to do an organized march across thousands of km, while still sticking together, with no overall ruler, just minor tribe leaders.
Must've been sick as fuck, being born near Crimea, walking along the coast and then west with your family, randomly meeting people speaking the same language heading the same way, encountering mostly hostile people speaking different languages, discovering deep forests in central europe, realizing most of your people settled there so founding a house there too and slowly beggining to understand your surrounding through interaction with traders.

Migration invasions were a thing ever since beggining of written history. Its weird that all the tribes invading every civilization since Sumer until mongol invasion has come from Caucausus - Central Asie area. Its like there was some machine that kept spawning more people.

Every time the steppe gets overpopulated Europe and China take the brunt of it. I guess modern life put a stop to it or else we'd all be whining about Tajiks invading Poland right now.

>Turks
>Babylonians
>Persians
>Khazachs
>Germanics
>Slavs
>Uralics
>Mongols
>along with shitload of separation on inner tribes
How could so many people ever fit in there, if it was constantly overpopulated?
Smells fishy

Well i suppose that while its a big area not much is there other than grass which can be travelled fast by mounted tribes, so in effect it becomes a lot smaller and worse less than fertile Europe. So you just push one west which pushes another until the furthest west invades Europe. But all those people have a century or so different, (though some of those aren't steppe people), so in effect they probably are the same people who've taken on a new identity.

Forgot that there are records of Alan mercs in China too

Nuts, I tell you

The Huns were just a catalyst. Virtually none of the tribes were 'running' from them, it's just that when they hit the eastern tribes, some of them attempted to migrate west and that led to chaotic wars in the Barbaricum that damaged established inter-tribe relationships and ruling classes. This led to certain family members of ruling families having to flee abroad and the most logical place was Rome, where their military prowess was in high demand at the time. They logically brought many of their followers too. The best example of the whole thing is Theodoric the Great's consolidation of the Pannonian and Thracian Goths under his leadership within Roman territory and then crossing into Italy with Constantinople's tacit support.

A lot of it was economic in character. Rome was incredibly rich by the standards of areas beyond the frontier, by raiding a single city a warrior could become rich beyond their wildest dreams.

>metalworking and nomadic pastoralism is cavemen tech.

>in effect they probably are the same people who've taken on a new identity.
That was my first thought too and it made sense until you look at the linguistical differences between said groups.

>with cavemen technology,
Steppe peoples were very advanced with much better metal working than the Greeks, who considered them barbarians.

It will simply be one smaller group dominating another but their genetics will remain mostly that of before. Over time they would become very mixed and that explains why central asians are so mixed

As I understand the original turkic peoples, Cumans, Khazars, Kipchaks, Pecheneg etc weren't that distinct from mongolic peoples (that in itself is already several hundred tribes and peoples thrown under one umbrella)

hahahaha probably a bunch of raped slave peasent barbarian savages following their bastard fathers back to Roma

greater anarchy greater products as a result
all of space and time...

>Much better metalworkinhg
>"Let's buy swords from the Persians and helmets from Greeks."

innovation from discordant chaoticness

Well my point being they had no advanced administrative technology to organize their tribe

Well shouldn't Slavs and turks be genetically related then? From how the waves went (Germanics>Slavs>Huns/Cumans/whatever) it seems like they were neighbours at minimum

False, they made it themselves, it was they who sold to others. Educate yourself.

turks are natives of the Altai Mountains, neighbours of Mongolians.

Slavs are from eastern poland, belarus, not nieghbours at all

also, turks from the tukish state have very little real turkish ancestry.

>caveman technology
user...

Those were Alans from Caucasus brought there by the Mongols in medieval era. But yeah, pretty interesting.
There's still a town in Portugal that's named after Alans and has the Alaunt fighting dog in its sigil.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alenquer,_Portugal

What's to say they didn't? Mongols had pretty great administration and logistics. And we don't have a lot of records from the steppe peoples.