Is lasting peace between two different civilizations which share a border common at all in history...

Is lasting peace between two different civilizations which share a border common at all in history? When two neighboring cultures don't share a common language, religion, or ethnicity, or diplomatic institutions, it seems like war is always likely.

Pax Romana is the only thing I can think of

That's one civilization enforcing internal peace though. It still had plenty of violent conflicts on its borders.

Not to mention within its borders.

>lasting peace

How lasting? Forever is a long time. Can't answer question without a time frame.

Maybe two generations or more?

Then it's easy. Look at the last 50 years.

Explain fucking Serbia then?!!

But is that common. Aren't the last 50 years not only exceptional, but violent as well ala Clash of Civilizations between the West, Islamic world, East Asia, etc?

>It seems like war is always likely

It seems like the complete opposite according to History. Different civilizations tend to avoid contact with other civilizations precisely due to lack of common political, economic or cultural grounds, which are the factors that more easily lead to conflict.

China and India have been at peace with each other for most of their history, with internal conflicts being far more prevalent.

To a lesser extent the same can be said about Europe and Islam, and to a much greater extent the level of internal conflict within Europe and Islam.

A think the very big mountain range plays a part

> China and India have been at peace with each other for most of their history, with internal conflicts being far more prevalent.
That might be because of the highest mountain range in the world separating the two.

Same for Islam/Christian conflicts, the Mediterranean helped a lot, though not as well, to stop conflicts. Where armies could be sent and supported easily, war happened regularly.

It's true the last 50 years ate exceptional for being NON-violent - the least violent period ever, actually.

But that's everywhere in the world. You're asking if peace between two societies is POSSIBLE. Which it obviously is. I dare you to find two neighbors that have never had 50 years of peace.

I think Ethiopia is one example of where there's coexistance of Islamic and Christian communities. Both have their holidays recognized and have for the longest time remained peaceful and still are to some extent. This was probably possible because Ethiopia held the muslims safe from persecution which is why Jihad on Ethiopia was forbidden by Islamic prophet Muhammad and this had varying degrees of effect on muslims. Some respected the wishes of those who were held safe in Ethiopia while others like the Ottomans, Somalis and several Arab groups wanted to attack the ethiopians for land or actual jihads.

>China and India have been at peace with each other for most of their history, with internal conflicts being far more prevalent.

I don't think that's a good example considering the enormous geographical boundary.

It really depends on the circumstances. There are so many reasons why a nation might be inclined to go to war with another or to avoid war.

Wasn't there a long period of oeace between The Ancient Near East Civilizations?(Egyptians, Assyrians, Hittites, Babylonians)
I mean they had many wars but it is relatively not that much given that they lived next to each other for about 2500 years

Well there were points when the Persians and Romans had decades of peace but those were pretty rare.

Besides private adventurers and independent tribes who made a living raiding across borders, violence between states usually happened because one or both states had something to gain from it while losing next to nothing in public, economic, or diplomatic support from their people.

An ethnic, linguistic, or religious divide between two nations usually means weaker commercial, cultural, and personal ties between their people, and thus fewer interests to trample on when declaring war. It becomes easier to justify violence, and once started the intellectuals and common masses will spin and create their own ways to support it.

Very rarely do you get a situation outside of civil war or city-state/tribal feuding where you have two nations that share closer ties but lack some form of legally accepted course of diplomacy or arbitration, so that also helps curb too eager acceptance of violence.

>Polak, Węgier, dwa bratanki, i do szabli, i do szklanki

>it's all Serbia we wuz good boys dindu nuffin

They were both heavily Catholic and their nobility intermarried a lot.

>Carpathians and Tatra
Also, didn't you guys own each land at some point in time (Hungarian Galicia, Polish Slovakia or whatever it was called back then)

There's only one civilization: human civilization ;)