Why were the Japanese so gruesome towards their foes in World War II?

Why were the Japanese so gruesome towards their foes in World War II?

Revenge for a perceived slight from 2000 years prior
It was justified
The koreans would have done 100 times worse over something 1000 smaller

Shit Hierarchie, Shit endoctrinement, Shit wars.

Believe me when I tell you that the allies were just as bad if not worse than the Japanese.

Most of it is old allied propaganda that have become pseudo-fact and so isn't true (Most of the stuff you hear of them doing in china never happened) Whereas the allies never speak of their great many crimes because a winner does not have to answer to anyone.

t. Japanese Nationalist

Asians are the most evil race and the Japanese are reviled even among them.

Two nukes were not enough.

Oh those poor innocent warcriminals!

DAILY REMINDER THAT IMPERIAL JAPAN WAS COMPLETELY JUSTIFIED IN WHATEVER PERCIEVED WAR CRIMES THAT NEVER HAPPENED. DEATH MARCHES WERE USED FOR TROOP MORALE AND EXERCISE, TORTURE OF POWS WAS USED FOR BONDING AMONG PRISON GUARDS, HUMAN EXPERIMENTATION WAS USED FOR SCIENCE AND THE GOOD OF HUMANITY.

RAPE OF NANKING? WAS ALL JUST A PRANK BRO.

The Japanese government indoctrinated its people under State Shinto from the beginning of the Meiji establishment in 1868, advancing militarism and national unity. This was done by what Katsuyuki Kumano called a "glorified spirit cycle" in the Minoo Memorial case (I believe); children are taught reverence to the divine emperor in school, are killed overseas in "defense of the nation", and are deified and honored for their sacrifice in religious memorials such as the Yasukuni shrine, all under the guise of a secular folkway and memorializing, respectively.
This indoctrination, I propose, is what allowed people to commit such horrendous acts of violence.

And what does Allied use of a flamethrower in combat have to do with any of this? Because the japs had them niggas too.

See you could have just stuck to saying that the Russians in Germany were just as bad and had a minor point. But you fucked it.

Mass rape vs slaughtering the entire population of hundreds of towns and villages.

>the allies were just as bad if not worse than the Japanese

There are people that actually believe this. God help us.

t.Haruki

ayy lmao you just have to look at all Japan's erotic works to see how messed up they are

And then their emperor renounced his divinity, basically making 3million dead Japanese for nothing kek

A lot of the mistreatment of POWs and the like at least came from the very severe supply problems that plagued the IJA/IJN due to logistics failings (either from inherent limitations or Allied attacks on shipping). In a supply crunch, POWs were undoubtedly the first to have their food supply cut.

Institutionalized beliefs in the dishonour of surrender helped as well, but there was a tremendous incentive to machine gun the poor sailors in the water rather than fish them out due to Japan's desperate supply stretch.

Horrendous treatment of POWs however would provoke reprisals and behaviour in kind by Allied troops, however, which would create even less incentives for either side to surrender. The language barrier definitely did not help either. Closer to the end of the war Allied officials attempted to encourage surrenders more systematically through propaganda leaflets and directly briefing soldiers on the intelligence value of captives, but surrender rates were generally much lower for the Japanese.

By late 1943 many outlying garrisons in the Pacific had been reduced to farming and planting just to grow enough food to survive (while bypassed and cut off completely by the Allied island-hopping campaign).

>using a flamethrower as it was intended
vs.
>bayoneting women in the vagina
>dashing babies against walls
>forcing sons to rape their grandmothers

Just gonna leave this here...

>muh atrocities
>muh genocide
>muh rape

It was TOTAL WAR, faggot. Kill or be killed. Do you really think people gave a fuck about muh human rights, muh feelings, muh Geneva convention?
No, they did not. Such worries came after the war was over, and like other user(s) pointed out, allies hid/denied a fuckton of devilish acts, solely because they won.

Its called hindsight.

Do you think he would've called the gassings, the experiments the torture of Jews/disabled/gypsies in Germany "civilized" way of "putting down" enemies?

The fact that he sees Japs as lesser is not unusual. Infact all the europeans saw asian countries as lesser. Thus they judge those asian countries harshly. Japan was trying to overcome that stigma, but their actions are viewed through the lenses of a romantic. The idealistic view.

Did you think the Soviets gave the Germans civility?

You might be wondering why I didn't mention the British or the French acts towards Nazis. The reason is simple. The faults of Nazi Germany was simply a political/military action to them. Not an ideological difference. They didn't disagree with Hitler on hating the Jews.

The reason soviets hated the Nazis were because Soviets/Nazis hated each other's ideology and treated them with disdain.

So when you're asking why Japs are so gruesome, put this into perspective. The Japs were no more greusome to their enemies than the Nazis/Soviets.

They were also, no more gruesome than the British were to the Indians or the Americans to their Blacks.

You can see the American act towards the Vietnamese and see the same thing as well, nearly 20 years later.

Wow, flame throwing Japanese SOLDIERS!

What monsters! Barbarians!

>And then their emperor renounced his divinity
Yeah, but ever since the occupation ended there has been a growing right wing sentiment to re-establish State Shinto. Several laws aimed at re-establishing government funding for Yasukuni were narrowly denied in the 70s (if I remember correctly), and near the end of his life Hirohito denied his renunciation. The judicial system is also heavily right wing, and several controversial decisions have slowly been connecting government and the military with Shinto yet again, under the justification that it constitutes a secular folkway (Some notable ones include the Minoo War Memorial case, the Tsu City Purification case, and the SDF Enshrinement Case). Don't forget the government funding of Akihito's religiously-tinged ascension.

>TOTAL WAR, kill or be killed

This baby was seriously about to fuck some shit up. Good thing it was stopped in time.

Communists are not human and do not deserve to be treated with humanity.

what I mean is, in a total war state, you don't give a fuck about your enemy. Literally not a single fuck. Babies, women, old men, soldiers, civilians. Fuck all that. It's the enemy. You're the righteous one. Fuck shit up as much as possible.

>all those well documented stories about Axis war crimes are fake
>these barely known stories of Allied war crimes are all true and more
>I don't have an agenda, I swear

People like you give historical revision a bad name when you swing so far to the other direction

That's not what total war means.

ITT: dumbasses who don't know the difference between total war and war of annihilation

ITT: kids thinking atrocities won't happen in wars because muh feelings

Said literally no one in this thread

Total War describes warfare that is ungentlemanly; insofar as that targets were not limited to troops and forts but also included the ability to wage war such as industry and resources, which is where the word "total" comes from, anything remotely applicable to military use. Civilians are the exception because often they are not responsible for the actions of a nation.

I'd hate to mention the S-word as an example and derail this thread.

true that, but you have to be inhuman shit to commit such atrocities

>Believe me when I tell you that the allies were just as bad if not worse
You're the guy who made the "Wehrmacht is clean" thread, right?

>inhuman shit to commit such atrocities
That's a simple idea, m8. Your idea at that. Surely when they speared that baby they knew full and well with complete clarity what they were doing and just wanted to stab a baby.

dam fily japs.

Did someone say "South"?

N-no user I said "S-word".

Please be on your way

Oh, what's that, I think smell grits and cotton over there? Do you smell it too, General? Why don't you go check?

>grits and cotton
literally the smell of freshly washed southern pussy on a hot day

lol nips with their no PSI flamethrowes

>Muh total war
>Allies are just as bad
>its because there is no food
>Proceeds to use chemical and biological attacks in China
>proceeds to bayonet live prisoners for practice
>proceeds to rape and kill wimmin at a whim
>proceeds to torture and kill POW's
>proceeds to experiment on live humans in every possible way
>proceeds to rape and pillage half of Asia
>proceeds to cause the death of more than 20 million civilians (more than 20% of japans own population)

Truly imperial japan was the most villainous evil in the 20th century

haven't gotten to use this in a while

no

Did somebody say, atrocity thread?

Literally one of the most autistic comments I've seen all day.

Because of anime