/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Poschengband 4.0.2 released: angband.oook.cz/forum/showpost.php?p=111187&postcount=195
DCSS Trunk Updates: crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-25-may-2016

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/pkf1qnuZ

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=19120
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Roguenexus hosting mpa-pcb when?

pcb sucks senpai

4.0.2 sucks.

it was never good

in fact there's not a single good roguelike

prove me wrong

life's a decent rougelike

too much grinding

that's why it's only decent.

>go down to vaults 5
>killing shit no problem
>a ghost appear, uh oh this could be trouble
>it runs around casting summon butterflies until it casts fulminate prism
>it explodes randomly, killing the ghost
Well alrighty then

so, someone explain how the new abyss works, and what i need to do to find this asinine rune?

>be etheral remains of a random dude
>hanging around my favourite spot
>lots of people around here, keeps me company
>some huge guy starts killing all my peeps
>panic
>p-please stop
>he doesn't
>try to remember something about what i did before i died
>can't come up with anything useful
>guy is still killing everybody
>try to cast a magic dart or whatnot
>trip on my own feet and miscast
>butterflies fall out of my pocket
>again
>and again
>so embarassed i might just die again
>finally conjure something useful
>it explodes and kills one of my last friends along with me
y-you too...

Just keep walking around, the rune will eventually spawn.

If you're completely unaware of new abyss, it now has 5 levels instead of 3 and unique enemies that (normally) only appear in the abyss. Each level you descend is more dangerous, with the abyss monsters appear more and more often along with the usual crew. You can only find the rune on floor 3 or deeper. Doors deeper, doors out and the rune all spawn more often the deeper you go. So if you're in a hurry, just dive down to 5. Note that 5 is a fucking hellhole of literal cancer stars and nexus crabs. New feature lets you kill enemies to spawn doors out or doors deeper.

how bad is floor 4? i'm on abyss 3 and contemplating going down to make this shit faster.

>no junethack

>Five levels instead of one.* Fug.
Anyway, the new enemies are fucking terrible. You really want stealth and regeneration if you're going into the abyss. Cancer stars afflict you with LOTS of temporary mutations, which can spell death to races that are really minmaxed. Nexus crabs spit chaos clouds that'll afflict you with a lot of awful stuff. Zymes will stop natural regen from being in LoS. There are other less awful stuff that summon and have distortion melee, but these are the ones you want to avoid.

4 is pretty dicey. Crabs start being common and they're extremely dangerous. If you're strong or have a way to mitigate clouds, go for it.

jesus christ what a splat
91 fucking damage

>{Blink melds into your body}
>Blink
Naga, why weren't you blinking while waiting for tele to kick in? Was this your first time dealing with slimes?

>meleeing a titanic slime creature
All that int and you're still a stupid naga.

Any advice for NaTm^Chei? I can never get them to the Lair.

holy kek
OC in honor of this

I honestly forgot that my armor had blink, not that it mattered at 40% failrate
I tried meleeing it because it was right next to me, didn't know it had a fucking d110 for damage
>Train unarmed until you hit level 3 and learn spider form
>Train poison until you get it to a comfortable 20%
>Find Chei
>Get carried until lair

The same way you get a Mummy Monk to Lair.

never fight a titanic slime creature, the hit for juggernaut damage

but slimes are stupid and only combine if they can't path to a new spot next to you, so they're best fought in the open

or just tele + blinkspam

alright lads, just finished mutation maze, only got pan, hell, and tomb left. which one is least likely to kill me?

Fucking Chaos tiles holy shit.
For reference those shadowers are magic mushrooms.

how do i did forget picture.

Depends on what you are m8

tomb will be easy mode, just stair dance and dont get over your head.
Hell will also be easy.

Pan can be a shit show if you pop out right next to a pan lord

Personally I like Tomb first if you have maxed Neg. Resistance.

I like Hell first, although I leave the Cold place for very last (after Pan) unless I feel super confident and have maxed resistance.

ant of TSO.

i figgured as much, but i've splated so many in tomb before I wanted to be sure
what's so spoopy about icy hell land?

>+9 Holy 3xbow
Nice.

How do i OpTm of Chei

Do what says but more careful

I am by no means an experienced player (only 15 runed once), but the *only* time I have ever splatted in hell (and multiple times) is to Icy Hell Land.

Those Demons can do a shit ton of damage, and the boss is scary. He doesn't do a terrible amount of damage, but he has a lot of HP so the fight can go a bit long (so more Torment/Ice Demons to contend with).

found it as +1 vel way way back off D9, sunk most of my enchant scrolls in it, but godam if it isn't fun as fuck.

hmm, well I have rC+++ without even trying so i'm hopping it won't be too bad.

Anteaus is probably the spookiest in a straight up fist fight, but he is also the absolute easiest to cheese. He doesn't resist poison. You can shoot him with a blow gun and curare, use a spider bag to fuck him up and so on. Hell, Parrow, Pcloud and ignite poison in conjunction can probably wreck him super fast too. I'm always scared of Dispater. That guy doesn't mess around.

Looking for equipment thoughts for my balrog warrior: angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=19120

My current setup might be right, but I'm not so sure. It doesn't get Telepathy, nor does it get to wield my shiny new Slayer from the old castle quest reward. I spent about an hour playing around with configurations and want some outside eyes to take a look.

If I optimize for damage I can get quite a lot, but obviously that isn't on it's own correct either. This current setup gets to wear Terror Mask and The Hell Harness for tons of acc/dam but the latter also aggravates and the former might be incorrectly getting in the way of Amber or Indra.

I don't have that many amazing boot or amulet choices. My best cloak is probably that cloak of the nazgul, but I'd really like to not wear the -6% life if I can help it. I'd also prefer not to wield a shield, but I'm also leery of sleepily walking into a fenghuang (doubly so with no telepathy) so...

>magic mushroom shadowers

you have staves of telepathy so that should be ok

if you want to swap out your weapon you probably can, light is just about the least important resist, although you might want to swap it in for cold still

just get telepathy from Beruthiel, it'll be fine

>go to tomb
>Find this asshole
>fuck i'm slow'd
>double fuck i'm silenced
godamit uhh fuck what do i do shaft myself?

shafting yourself in Tomb sounds extremely suicidal

not quite as suicidal as charging at mennas while -swift and surrounded by enemies, though.

shoulda pogged away when he entered LOS

ok tyvm for the help

i tried, but uhh that spinx is standing on my way out i think.. and i don't know if i got the time to kill it.

You see that 「BoB」? Start evoking that. And the spider bag too. And your feet. Zap the bobs with haste too.

I'd swap out harness of the hell for the +5 stealth/telepathy amulet because I'm a big stealth fan and far too lazy to use the staff of telepathy every twenty steps.

yeah it's too late now

you fucked up like 5-10 turns ago when you got into this situation, I'm saying.

i don't have advice to get out i'm just pointing out how dumb you were to get in

to late shafted myself and got lucky. i think

fuck i know that, I think tomb just is made to tilt me, I splat there unnecessarily all the damn'd time.

why do you have 3 rods of recall

i'm 99% sure they aren't susceptible to item destruction unless that is different between PCB and vanilla

Jesus christ. Please tell me you have your evocations leveled atleast. A single bob is capable of fucking Mennas if you actually level it.

almost 17 skill in evo. I'll be sure to sick the hounds on him after i'm done licking my wounds.

Yeah rods and various other things that are safe in vanilla are not in pcb, at least without 2 (for almost perfect) or better chance to survive various attack types

electricity specifically can blow up rods, not sure if any of the higher elements can but probably chaos is able to at least

Should've quaffed cancellation

>...2 or better chance to...
I meant "2 or more copies of a resist giving a"

yeah I thought about that specifically. I'm definitely not using _Telepathy unless it's a "will throw away this staff for loot" type of slot, it's just kindof a pain and not critical, as you still need to be able to handle monsters that don't always appear to telepathy. It's nice, but ultimately just a luxury at this late stage (it's better earlier IMO).

The +15 +15 slaying is just so nice. Also when I first equipped it I needed it for rDark to try and not wield Celegorm. Maybe.

>Duvessa hits Dowan with a short sword!
>Dowan dies!
>Duvessa screams in horror.

Mennas should be neutral to followers of good gods, and allied to followers of Zin.

I hope you left her alive. She will spend the rest of her days with the knowledge that she struck down her twin brother

sounds fun and degenerate
rejected

I CAN ALMOST HEAR THE BOBS.

>meme

Just won my first 15rune.

Feels good guys.

Any good newish games out since I now need a long break?

that's weird then, because rods on the ground can't be destroyed by lightning balls

>implying this wasn't already a feature in past versions
>implying the devil's team didn't remove it already

doomRL

he used to be

you should also get the option to convert to zin on the spot, like how orcs can convert to beogh when in sight of an orc priest

i'm considering learning haste, just for the bobs and tso summons

but Mennas would have to speak for that to happen

angels of zin should have weapons branded with silver instead of holy wrath

I was just thinking this earlier today. Pan should also be full of flesh horrors weak to silver instead of demons weak to holy.

>train Stealth until at least 4
>get the fuck away from anything with a yellow name, unless it can be poison-kited with Spider Form
>get Ice Form online before you get to Lair, or you'll regret it inmensely with all the reptiles crawling there
>get Statue Form online ASAP
>utterly destroy everything forever
>forget the fact you learned Dragon Form and keep on casting Stone Form until you win

And that's how I won with 15 runes. Only thing that could bring my health down a bit was Hellion Island. ST is that OP with Chei.

what about blade hands?
when do i join chei?

>shafting in Tomb

mennas vs two of my best [BOB]s who WILL WIN?

The abyss is chaotic evil.
Pan is neutral evil.
Hell is lawful evil.

You what

Blade Hands is useful for when you don't need exta HP in an Octopode. Spoiler: That's almost never.
When you find an altar of Chei, of course. What kind of question is that?

for the record all i did is just cast PoG and wait around near it if things went south
shhh it all worked out

blade hands on an octopus means you get to keep your natural "literally 0 AC", which is not ideal

statue form gives you actual real armor which is part of why it's good

The postendgame content cribs from Dungeons and Dragons.

The abyss is a place of chaos, hence it gets the chaotic creatures.

well, i keep dying because i can't run from monsters

I guess. I just want poison and negative stuff to be relevant for longer than lair, and for holy and TSO to stop being the stupid no brainers that they are in postend. Make rCold relevant before depths too please.

With lawful evil he doesn't mean that its inhabited by devils with golden hearts or something, but that the Hells are governed by strict rules that neither you or them can break, like having always 7 levels, spawning attacks over you for tresspassing the place, having an organized last floor being watched by a Hell Lord, etc.
It's not like Pan or Abyss, where you have to wander like a retard until you find the runes.

just tell crawl devs that tso/holy being the king of endgame is degenrate since you're forced to take them 9 times outa 10. ely's degerate since you just spam heal and it's boring, and zin gives you resistance to mutations, you already know they're cutting back on that. boom holy trinity gets removed and you have your post end not ruled by em.

Zin - lawful good
Ely - neutral good
TSO - chaotic good

That's why you get Stealth, my man.
You also need to learn when to engage and when to retreat.

>do you see only one target in a non-open space?

If yes, engage. If not, engage from afar with poison darts/evocables, or retreat if you think there might be more than one monster.

Never, NEVER EVER is a good idea to pull the attention of an orc band, especially if you're under level 8. Gnoll packs are also a problem, but you can usually kill them all with Spider Form. But if an orc priest detects you, nigga, you better prepare to read tele or to slouch the motherfucker down as a last resort.

>TSO is chaotic
he and zin are both lawful, my man

Zin is more into reciting and enforcing laws while TSO just wants to blow up anyone who breaks them.

So there's no chaotic good in the crawl universe?

Alignments are dumb and literally every god is ok with @ killing and eating the whole fucking dungeon.

>lawful in adom
>hostile blink dogs appear
>ctrl-q

@ is war

only in *hack.

oh and one last question, should i use shields?

I don't see why not. The're alway useful. I think the last Op I did didn't used them, but there's really no reason not to use them.

Definitely, you cant rely on just EV

another rune for the glory of the degenerate digging race!

Demonspawn are weak to silver.

In DCrawl, Pandemonium, besides Xom, is the main source of Chaos branded weapons, actually. Pandemonium is Chaotic.

Dungeon Crawl Hell is definitely Chaotic. It is a place where random hostile forces assail you continuously, including chaotic spells. Hell denizens are also coded as following Makhleb, though it is largely irrelevant.

Nothing wrong with three underworlds that are mostly chaotic and evil.

TSO is good, and neither lawful nor chaotic.

Not yet, nor is there likely for any to be. The good gods are defined in part by being all okay with each other, so there won't be a good chaotic god.

Due to the source material on alignments (the works of Moorcock and Poul Anderson, in which Law has an overwhelming tendency towards "good" and Chaos has an overwhelming tendency towards "bad") I think its appropriate.

The Crawl gods, however, have been literally assigned alignments, so...

Also, TSO doesn't want you to commit cannibalism (defined as eating members of the same species) and Zin doesn't want you to commit cannibalism (defined as eating fellow intelligent beings).

When you tab down ignacio without even noticing
>#justTrMo^Cheithings

Removed for being the most interesting alignment.