You wake up and find yourself in a 15th century Western European barn

You wake up and find yourself in a 15th century Western European barn.
With your modern day scientific knowledge, how would you fare?
Would the average person be able to recreate Napoleonic Technology? Would Chem Es/Mat Sci Engys be able to reach the early age of computing level of technology? Would MEs be able to reach the industrial revolution?

What do you believe you could achieve based on your education and scientific skill without modern day resources, help, or environment?

I want to see what others believe they could recreate from their own memory to return to modern society.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/connecticutyanke00twaiuoft
youtube.com/watch?v=I98mQJmhKBQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

make a killing drawing maps

All i would do is try working on becoming a salt baron, if i landed by the coast.

Just by telling people about germs I'd be hailed as a medical genius

I would defraud everyone as a mystic with scientific tricks and knowledge of science and the future. I would live a life of riches and peasant boipucci for a few weeks until I'm burned for witchcraft. Fuck it would be glorious.

They would probably just burn me at the stake for being a witch because I wear different cloths and have a magical light sound box (phone).

Would predict stuff just to upset people

On the last page of ny book of predictions i'd say something cryptic and damning for the entire human race to keep people guessing

I think most people would achieve little in terms of technology except they are already master artisans.

archive.org/details/connecticutyanke00twaiuoft

Depending on what year it is, this could be very helpful to the English.

Smartest answer ive read

go to Prague and tell them i am a persecuted scholar and that i have many things to teach them if i can find some way to talk to them.
oh and if i can talk to them meet my man Zikki.
thats only if i find myself in central or eastern Europe. bassicly hussite wars get kicked up a notch if not the hussitie wars then the 30 years war.
poit is i want Bohemia to live.

>printing press just invented in that century
Lucky you

Nostradamus pls go

I would forget everything I knew to blend in

*tips fedora*

You guys should read The Man Who Came Early by Poul Anderson

An American GI stationed in Iceland gets sent back to the Viking Age. He's an engineer so he thinks he's gonna be hot shit and fix all their problems. Only he doesn't know how to use the equipment they have at the time, and isn't aware of their customs, so everyone thinks he's a retard.

Find the nearest monastery,introduce myself under a false name,gain the trust of some monks,gradually share my knowledge with them to the point where there's nothing more to share,leave the monastery.

Not really. The miasma theory is not fundamentally different in its implications compared to germ theory. Nice to know they exist, but without the necessary technology it might as well be bad winds.

>facebook education

You think your average millenial would ascend a medieval society because he is so well educated by wikipedia?

Laughing my ass off to be honest. Your average modern pleb is probably far worse educated than people in the past. No average citizen of today can construct a steam machine, most wouldn't even know how to produce gun powder...people back then were not more stupid than us, they just couldn't step as much on other people's shoulders as we can. Knowledge of the existence of something helps fuckton at all if you can't implement it in a practical way.

this is the ugly truth and why first post was best post

Not a lot of practical shit I can do just from memory so I'd rather take a few books, go to Britain and translate modern English to them if they can't understand.

But you couldn't do that up to scale at all. So at best, if you do a very good job, we end up with a very vague globus which predicts which country neighbours which country. The first globus was already made in late medieval times, so I am pretty sure they are not behind that.

You are all assuming that you would be able to communicate with them, languages have changed a lot over the years.

Not everywhere. Written German remained almost the same

Why was it a good post? What are the chances he's actually a skilled cartographer? What are the chances he's actually practiced with the tools of the time rather than computer programs that currently dominate the field?

most of us would die of smallpox or something rather quickly, though we might be less susceptible to influenza and whatever we have been vaccinated against

I like when he pulls out a matchbook expecting them to shit themselves and they're just like "yeah, that looks pretty useful, pity you can't make more"

>Sooo do would you guys please pay me to teach teenagers about the 19th and 20th centuries? It's what I did back at home

How would they react?

Honestly, I wouldn't do too well. However, I can draw and paint pretty well, and my common medical knowledge is my biggest strength, so I'd find a monastery with a brewery and join them for a while to adjust to the culture. Learn the language (hopefully I'm in France so I have a base to work off of), learn the basic essential life skills, farming and carpentry and whatnot, learn to gather and mix paints, and then be Giotto before he's even born.

>my common medical knowledge is my biggest strength
Dude, the only thing that translates is hygiene theory and some first aid. Anything else, you can't replicate because you don't have the tools. The average village healer would shit all over you through mere pharmacopoeia.

Isn't modern English a problem for modern Brits?

Simple shit like
>boil your fucking water
>stop bleeding that poor guy
>stop smothering that feverish man in blankets, give him some water and fresh air
>simple inoculation (put needle through smallpox pustule, put same needle through uninfected person's skin)
Would go a long way. Though the inoculation thing might get me killed, people tended to not like that idea when it first came around.

That's mostly because modern brits aren't quite english themselves.

That's not gonna take you anywhere far you know. Even if you did manage to convince people to act like you want them. You'd still be nowhere near as good as the local healer, and due to that everyone is just gonna do what he says even if you're right.

Plus I speak Hochdeutsch.

What about pasteurization and inoculation?
Pretty shit at biochemistry desu.
I'd assume a large portion of what most people could offer is in electromagnetism. That is, if you paid attention in 4th grade science.

youtube.com/watch?v=I98mQJmhKBQ

If you can make a generator, you can make a basic microphone(same principle, sends off current), radio transmitter etc.
motors, speakers, etc are really just the reverse conversion
Making a light is pretty trivial after that, just short circuit the right material or spark gap it.
If you figure out a way to store gas around it it/make a vacuum in a glass you could do more interesting stuff. Also you could generate nitric acid, by just making sparks in the air; meaning fertilizer/high explosives/smokeless gunpowder

If you have any industrial knowledge, which i only know most of the theoretical side(a modern day blacksmith or the like would fare much better) you'd be able to at least hot blast and probably understand the bessemer process. You'd need it to build steam engines with any kind of pressure/good compressors(For AC etc)/good combustion engines-although you probably wouldn't know how to refine gasoline or ethanol

But just understanding how basic electricity works would give you a tremendous advantage.

>most people could offer is in electromagnetism
You're delusional if you think most people even remember what that means after high school, excluding people who specifically work on related areas.

Try to contact any thinkers and engineer equivalents of the time and try to communicate the concept steam engines or something. Honestly i think it would be almost impossible to kickstart anything even for the most knowledgeable of people, without great preparation (technological advancement is a pyramid of numerous achievements and insights, of which almost none exist back then).

I could probably try to teach them about the importance of hygiene and that's about it. An equivalent scenario would be someone who only knows java, that is then forced to try to create hardware components from scratch.

True, sadly.
I mean just making the association electricity+magnetism
would put them on the right track
>tfw fucking magnets, how do they work isn't just a meme

>I mean just making the association electricity+magnetism would put them on the right track
That would require them to know both electricity and magnetism beyond the level of
>it powers up shit
>it makes to thing stick together
which is just as unlikely.

I don't know if there was sufficient metallurgy in those days.

Nah dude, simply boiling water, pointing out that cholera spreads via the water supply, black death spreads by rats and fleas, and small pox can be prevented by cow pox, would make you an uber doc.

I think I'd also know enough economics to help a bit with currency problems.

Assembly lines and replaceable parts could also be incorporated.

You would probably end up being burned in the Stake for heresy.

Tbh I thought hard about this but I think I would just end up saving my francs or pounds and become rich.

>You would probably end up being burned in the Stake for heresy.

Stop this dumb ass facebook meme.
The catholic church did that after the middle ages and only in rare cases if the new theory contradicted the bible. Nothing about small life forms making you sick is contradicting the bible.

Chem/biochem major here. I guess I'd be able to do quite a bit. However, it'd depend on the location. Burning witches was still quite popular back then, wasn't it?

It is a renaissance thing not a medieval thing

put needle through smallpox pustule, put same needle through uninfected person's skin

Thats how you give someone smallpox, not inoculate them...

could start up the invention of chemistry as a field early. i'm not sure how old soap is, but i could produce that and perhaps this would help alleviate disease and plague. also i could create dyes for clothing. obviously geographical knowledge is an advantage we would have. could also invent mathematical fields years before they were meant to be discovered.

What do you think the 15th century is?

It gives them a weaker case of it, which they get through much more easily and immunizes them in the future.

It's how they did it in the revolutionary war.

The 1400s, thus late medieval.

Renaissance starts 1492, so most of the 15th century is counted as middle ages

>the renaissance started 118 years after Petrarch died
Okay buddy

Medieval and renaissance are not mutually exclusive

Top kek

probably just use backyard science experiments and knowledge of germs to convince everybody im sent by god

Had to check just to be sure:
Two forms of the disease of Smallpox were recognised, now known to be due to two strains of the Variola virus. Those contracting Variola Minor had a greatly reduced risk of death – 1–2% – compared to those contracting Variola Major with 30% mortality. Infection via inhaled viral particles in droplets spread the infection more widely than the deliberate infection through a small skin wound. The smaller, localised infection is adequate to stimulate the immune system to produce specific immunity to the virus, while requiring more generations of the virus to reach levels of infection likely to kill the patient. The rising immunity terminates the infection. So the twofold effect is to ensure the less fatal form of the disease is the one caught, and to give the immune system the best start possible in combating it.

I mean, it's not like a bell rang in 1492 and everyone switched immediately, it was a gradual cultural change.

I feel like you're conflating the early modern period, which can be argued to have started ca. 1492, with the renaissance. I'm not sure anyone would seriously place the start of the renaissance any later than 1401, but I think that would also generally be considered too late.

That's funny, because I'd always heard it generally accepted that the Renaissance was most of the 16th century.

It was, but it was prior to that as well.

I'd try and write, maybe get involved with printing or something. My notably useful knowledge is banking and financial structure which while probably better understood than we'd realized would be dangerous and costly.

Ultimately I'd try and build up a little capital, try and get somewhere with merchants and spend the rest of my life trying to get an expedition to sail to NA. If I can manage that, then get involved with the early and lucrative saltfish and fur industries and try to settle Nova Scotia or Newfoundland