Was the racism of Southern poor whites instigated by the bourgeoisie...

Was the racism of Southern poor whites instigated by the bourgeoisie, or did anti-black sentiment arise independently among the poor?

Both.

the south has a much heavier black population than the north, and spending time around poor blacks makes you racist desu
kinda ironic that the people that live around the most blacks are the most racist

Probably both? If you grow up around (not necessarily just live next to) black people you might make a few black friends. Conversely if you live in a community segregated from blacks you might grow up with a less than positive attitude towards them. Interestingly this phenomenon doesn't apply so much to those of Asian descent.

Source: Emerson, M. O., Kimbro, R. T., & Yancey, G. (2002). Contact theory extended: The effects of prior racial contact on current social ties. Social Science Quarterly, 83(3), 745-761.

I think the lack of top-down, institutional racism against Asians is why there's not much resentment of Asians in mixed communities

They're also substantially wealthier

>They're also substantially wealthier

Poor White people have little resentment towards a wealthier group of people of a very different ethnic background, some of whom (Chinese, Japanese) were the enemies their grandparents fought (WWII, Korea).

Meanwhile, poor White people have resentment towards an ethnic group that is for the most part equally poor, or even poorer, has lived in the US since the very beginning, and fought side-by-side in all major conflicts.

I'm not American but this seems like a very interesting "paradox".

As an American who's spent some of his life in the south, the truth is both complex and simple.

Racism is an outlet for a lot of poor whites to release their own resentment of being poor.
Then you have the condition of living in bumfuck Alabama, with no real opportunity, culture, or personal intelligence. So when you're not working or hunting, you're at home watching tv with your good ol' boys and making nigger jokes at any black person you see on screen. They're dumb and bored.

You'll get lots of resentment towards any specific people group provided they are:
>groups of mostly young single men arriving in a short timespan
>mostly uneducated
>don't speak the same language as the host country
>aren't allowed or encouraged to live with or marry people of the host country
Note how the lines I described above could be used to describe either Chinese and Japanese immigrants in the 1870s or Syrian refugees to this day. Now contrast that to the second wave of Chinese immigration after World War 2 when the vast majority of Chinese immigrants were wealthy people from Hong Kong or Taiwan. If immigrants come in trickles and assimilate relatively easy enough to their host society like the second wave of Chinese immigrants then you'll find that there isn't a whole lot of resentment towards them as a whole.

There were many reasons.

1: the psychological "us versus them" "in-group" mentality
2: racism (actual racism, not the things SJW whine about nowadays)
3: cultural attitudes stemming from the time of slavery
4: a class divide between poor whites and very poor blacks "muh jobs"
4a: greater poverty among blacks and its effects were conflated with inherent racial differences and reinforced cultural attitudes
5: a way to divide the poor politically and deny political rights to blacks
6: a way to justify corruption and mistreatment of black workers

What is immoral about cuckoldry? The only people who feel threatened are inferior beta male subhumans who think they are entitled to pussy.

You've sort of hit the nail on the head. You can find plenty of people on this site who hate blacks but when's the last time you've seen someone post an infographic on how terrible Ugandans are?

Source is the 2011 American Community Survey by the Census Bureau.

That's only because most black households are single parent households.

Of the 13.8 million Black households surveyed by the Census Bureau approximately 4.8 million of those are single parent households. That means that 36% of Black households have single parents. Unless your definition of "most" is different from mine then the reason why the median household income of Blacks is lower than the national median income can't just be pinned down to single parents.

I imagine it had something to do with a massive addition to the new lowest class, which made it harder to live than before, so they blamed the new guys.

This happens very often, and though its not really the blacks fault, its kind of true.

Anti-black sentiment will arise independently among anyone who has to live around black people.

The second lowest tier in society always hates the lowest tier, and has the strongest motivation to keep them down. I.e. if they treat blacks like humans, they're not "better" than anybody - and in fact will inevitably end up worse than some they were formerly better than (which is why "uppity" blacks were especially hated).

Additionally, the most inferior members of any group have the most to gain by emphasizing their membership in the group. "White pride" folks are human disasters for the same reason Cornell alumni refer to themselves as "Ivy League graduates."

Yes, they had to be 'made' racist. A place in which literally owning black people was okay 150 years ago were all nice and pure until those damned poor blacks made them racist!

T. White guilt faggot, BLM supporter, and proud stepfather of two

Both blacks and poor whites competed for the same jobs and blacks did it cheaper.

good post, thanks for contributing

I think that's bullshit. The north is much more segregated than the South in terms of ghettoization. Whites and blacks live pretty much side by side down here.

It more has to do with cultural perceptions imo. If you're told that your ancestors were poor slaves, you'll probably not have very high expectations set for yourself, and vice versa if you're told that you have to support said underachievers, you'd probably resent them as a result.

>for the same reason Cornell alumni refer to themselves as "Ivy League graduates."
I was under the impression that Brown was the looked-down-upon Ivy school.

Technically there were no bourgeoise, they south had a de facto feudalism not capitalism.

The upper class encouraged it-- institutionalized racism kept one half of the lower class at the neck of the other, so that neither could unite and topple their oppressors.

This.

Not according to Marx but I can understand your perspective

Marx wasn't even consistent with his own definitions, at times capitalism specifically meant an industrialized society with wage slavery and urban working class, at other times it just meant production means in private hands.

The fact is American slave based economy was even more feudal than European serfdom and the planter aristocracy ruled over their states with an iron fist thanks to no voting suffrage and extreme influence on the legislation.

Southern whites are racist because they live amongst niggers. That's literally it.

My senpai from Guyana which is 60% South asian and 40% Afro-Caribbean aren't too fond of blacks. They don't hate them or lynch them but they they basically see them the same way Gandhi did. There's a lot of inter-marriage between Hindus, Mudslimes and Chinese there because they like blacks even less than they like each other.

saved

Anti black sentiment was created by blacks while dixies fought valiantly for state rights

Don't buy this meme.

I was an edgy racist /b/tard when I grew up in a rich suburb, then mellowed out when I moved to the city and actually met black people IRL.

>I think the lack of top-down, institutional racism against Asians is why there's not much resentment of Asians in mixed communities
What were japanese intenment camps during WW2?

>They're also substantially wealthier
This is closer to the point, you've skimmed the top of SE asia, only allowing skilled individuals in makes things easier (although there are arguments about it being a brain drain for the other nation and inhibiting growth there) and japan has a complex about WW2 being shameful so they tend not to hold it against you.

user learn to read numbers.

From the statistics you just posted:

Of the family households (i.e. those with children of which there are 8.7 million), 3.8 million feature a married couple while 4.9 million feature a single householder. Ergo yes, most black children do grow up in a household with only one parent.

They also have higher IQ, lower time preference, greater impulse control, etc.

You commie sophists will reason your skin inside-out to justify flooding countries with immigrants

Like, when you met wealthy, amicable, high-IQ blacks at uni who were lucky enough to be in the upper tail of their race's bell curve? Get real dude. You weren't in the ghetto.

I grew up in a small town in the south with a 50% african american population. i'm pretty racist desu

I think the people who disagree with black stereotypes and general racist sentiments are people who have never spent time around them

From all walks of life, I live in a city known for a big black population.

Don't go spastic on me just because you were misled by a /pol/ maymay comic.

I don't hate blacks because of their intelligence and wealth, I hate them because they hate me, with a passion. I'm speaking from both personal experience having lived in a predominantly black neighborhood and the national trends (BLM shit, anti-cop terrorism, black celebrities openly hating on whites in the media), those guys fucking loathe us and want us dead.

They really don't, though.

Nah fampai, they do.

REKT

They do. White kids growing up in black neighborhoods get beat up on the regular and white people in general get ridiculously ostracized and discriminated against by the black establishment in places like Detroit that have an overwhelmingly black majority. On my part this is a basic survival instinct in action rather than a LOL THOSE STUPID NIGGER AMIRITE memery. I also echo the sentiment of this guy: whites who are the most anti-racist usually grow up in an overwhelmingly black neighborhood and have no fucking clue what they're yapping about.

*usually don't grow up

I only believe you because my city also has a large black population and a large number of whites like you who've convinced themselves that they are down with the homies and are so totally above that unpopular racism shit

Walks of life? Yeah sure, some walk, most saunter

>a large number of whites like you who've convinced themselves that they are down with the homies and are so totally above that unpopular racism shit

You see, this is the bullshit I'm getting at.
It's typical /pol/ echo-chamber, strawmanning bullshit.

>see, our racism is the correct, default view. anyone who possibly disagrees is just an effeminate sheltered liberal cuckold. here, look at this silly drawing of "are you kidding me" man or this epic comic

Live next to an African community, and I'm not lynched or beaten.

If anything I get along fine with them.

Africans are different from African Americans.

This. I know a few Nigerian expats, decent people. The niggers (descendants of American slaves) I am terrified of though.

desu all the black people I've known have been chill as fuck, but all of them were african students or immigrants

never met one of those americans of african descent

Ahhh.

Yeah, I've met a few African Americans.

Some are good, but you get a few dickheads here and there.

>Bashing and psychologizing the poor is okay when it's whites

One could also argue that anti racists have lived a privileged existence that doesn't let them see the downsides of diversity.

Racism is what all people engage in their private lives, but because they want to maintain the appearance that they are tolerant, they lie and say that they would feel the same way if they walked down a street at midnight and said they felt the same about being approached by a group of blacks as opposed to a group of asians, They would feel THE EXACT SAME when they know deep down inside that's not fucking true.

But hey if they had any integrity, their "tolerance" would have died long ago.

Anti racism is about keeping a good social face and not about how you honestly feel about others.

>this meme again

Interacting solely with poor blacks, on an impersonal basis, can lead to the development of negative attitudes toward blacks.

Actual involvement in black communities, or close contact with educated black people, does the opposite.

The bourgeoisie were absolutely instigators, but relative status explains a ton. Folks want to feel like they're better than someone, and for the poorest white people, that can easily mean supporting racism, because it means higher social status for them. Which is conflict that benefits the bourgeoisie, who don't want the proletariat united against them, of course.

>321 KB
>Anonymous 07/21/16(Thu)03:43:24 No.14421
Let me put you in detroit and see your bourgeise, or in Africa.

Economics isn't tied to everything at least the Capital type, you would have more capital employing murderers, yet no one does so because it goes against biological imperatives.

I went to Detroit once to see a Nick Cave concert. After it was done, my girlfriend and I stopped at a pizza joint, with several giant black dudes standing out front of it, and where only black folks were working/eating. Because it was the only place open. Both of us skinny little white folk.

We had no problems. The only problem we ever had in the city, was with a white guy with a boxing glove, who approached us outside of a gas station asking for something-or-other, until a black dude intervened and said, "leave those kids alone."

Anecdotal, I know, but that's my experience w/ Detroit. They have some nice things there, though, like an okay art museum, and I'd suggest checking it out. Driving is a nightmare, there, though. Ironically, it's just not a city built for cars.

Well most of the blacks just happen to be poor.

>Oh you got a bad experience with blacks? You're doing it wrong, just hang out with all those black engineers and doctors and your attitude will change!

Good thing you don't live there, I could meet murderers in prison and they wouldn't do anything immediately.

If you haven't lived with them for extended periods of time you have no right to judge those who interact with them for extended periods of time.

I don't know. Eminem seems rather fond of Detroit and his people there: Detroit vs. everybody! Also, Jonathan Lethem managed to grow up without any racist tendencies, while being beat up for being white in Brooklyn. Maybe because his friends were black, by extension, but all the same.

I was made racist. I grew up in a rich white town, and then I decided to go to the university of South Carolina.

Columbia and the surrounding areas are heavily black and day to day interaction eventually made me hate blacks.

They are terrible people.

Eminem is a millionaire, he isn't representative of the masses of people.

>why do I dislike black people?
Because they aren't the same as Europeans, period.

He wasn't always, and yet he rose up embracing hip-hop culture. Lethem certainly isn't a millionaire, and yet he too, managed not to be racist growing up a minority in his school. It's a fairly common story.

>Racist
No one's talking of that, they are talking of seeing that Black people aren't the same as White people.
Those who have met few Blacks will think they are the same, those who have extended periods of contact with them would know the truth, this has nothing to do with hating them.

And yet, the examples I gave don't suggest as much. The most anti-racist dude I've talked to, was married to a black woman. Which probably counts as extended contact.

No it doesn't, go move to a black neighborhood and tell me if they are the same as a white neighborhood.

Hey, i have plenty of black aquaintances in the Army, and even i know that many of them are self selected outliers, which is a big reason why theyre in the army in the first place.

There are some blacks (whom i think have white admixture) who have the integrity to admit that there is an inherent problem with the black community.

Now whether they wish to improve upon it or integrate into the white genotype is another question.

Integration is possible but the opportunity costs are disastrous towards those white men who stand to lose a white wife by giving her to a black man who wishes to integrate into the white genotype.

Kek really, fucking Eminem of all people?. He was beaten by blacks as a kid and even made a song about it, he was constantly mocked and harrassed for being white when he entered the local hip hop scene, I guess he just grew to like it since he's such a cuck.

Black people decrease property values by pure virtue of their skin color. I partially grew up in a poor neighborhood with black, white, and some Asian folk, before my folks moved to a wealthier neighborhood, albeit where the people across the street were from India. When we lived in the poor neighborhood, though, my sister's best friend was a black girl, and she would eventually become the only white girl in an otherwise all-black sorority, and get a job at her school keeping the history of black people there.

le words i don't understand

(faggot)

I lived in a beautiful Victorian neighborhood that blacks completely ruined, turning spectacular houses into crack dens, you could take a stroll there in the 90s and you'd think you're in the middle of Mogadishu. Then like 10 years ago white gays started moving in, renovating the property and gentrifying the neighborhood and blacks started throwing a shitfit.

Or he just wasn't an idiot, and probably knew as many decent black folks as assholes. Like I said, Lethem was actively beat up for being a white kid in a black community, but his friends were also black, so he obviously never became racist.

So you just admitted that white kids get commonly beaten up in black neighborhoods.

And Eminem's success is enterily based on black music so obviously he wouldn't want to alienate his entire fanbase by being racist.

ok so the point is, there are black dickheads, and white dickheads, and i hate them all evenly.

There's a significantly higher percentage of dickheads among blacks than among whites.

The degrees of dickheaditry are not the same between the two though.

Maybe because black people automatically lower property values via their skin color? There was a conscious movement by real estate folks at one point to get black people to move into neighborhoods, so they could scare the white folks off, and buy property cheap. Which involved threats and the like, which they instigated.

I just told you they fucked it up. Nice houses turned into cesspits with broken windows, used syringes all over the place, nobody mowing the lawns, extremely high crime, etc. I mean you have to live in some kind of surreal bubble to ignore how awful black neighborhoods are.

ever heard of environmental factors? or did you learn biology from stormfront you absolute retard :)

I never understood why some people are immune to understanding degree and nuance.

Its like if there were two drinks, and one was made of ~10% poison and the other ~40% poison.
If you had to drink one, knowing that the poison if distilled wouldent be lethal, which one would you pick?

Only a moron would say that because both have poison, that the two drinks are equally at risk.

I guess that explains why even the poorest hillbilly white shitholes in Kentucky have a higher murder rate than middle class black neighborhoods. Your environmental argument doesn't add up to reality.

try not to die :)

(i'm sure intelligence is so relevant when you're dead)

your genetic argument is also just wishful thinking :P

I'm not sure if it's genetics and I'm not pushing that agenda, but poor blacks murder A LOT more people than poor whites and that's a statistical fact.

anyways, do you think you're telepathically going to be able to inform others of your biological genetic genius (I'm laffin)

we'll see what happens in the future together

(oh wait shit) (i forgot skinheads talking big on teh internet have international powers of persuasion)

pretty sure cuckoldry wouldn't be the right word used there.

>bitch destroyed in a debate so hard he goes full crazy

Environment only explains about 30% (at most) of the observed variance, the rest is genetic.

Environment can have an effect *over the span of thousands of years* but its not something that happens in just a couple of generations.

Nature is the SUM of all previous nurturing and several thousand years of a dangerous and scarce cold european environment wont be emulated by hundreds of years of a metropolitan sheltered and resource-rich environment.

I think environment matters too, so therefore instead of using education and welfare, why dont we put blacks in the arctic and let them survive on their own, so that they could become the same as whites after several millenia.

you know you love (it's for you) (good bait if it waz, doesn;t actually matter at all though)

ok, so what skills do you possess?

I already said I grew up in a mixed neighborhood, so maybe I don't. Although, what you describe could have everything to do with falling property values, due to black people automatically lowering property values.

That said, though, the richest black neighborhood in the South, back in the day, which was wealthier than a lot of surrounding communities, was burnt to the ground, when some random black guy was accused of rape.

How do you get ahead when your very existence makes you and those around you poorer, and invites racist hostility?

The cold weather environment evolution is honestly bullshit. Eskimos lived in a much colder climate than whites and they didn't magically turn into Nordics. In fact, early bronze age Scandinavia was much warmer than it is now.

>they fuck up property values with crime, drug use and negligence
>NUH UH IT'S JUST THEIR SKIN COLOR

why can;t shills even be interesting, is it only because beta fags are the only ones willing to shovel shit?

Back to /r9k/

> the richest black neighborhood in the South, back in the day, which was wealthier than a lot of surrounding communities

Are you talking about the Rosewood massacre? Because that place was nowhere near rich, it was working class.