/law/ General

Who /law/ here?

>Do you enjoy it?
>What type of law do you practice?
>What law school did you go to?
>Do you have your own firm/part of a firm?

Did noone ever taught you to never start a thread with a pic more interesting than the topic?

>Implying that doesn't guarantee my thread bumps and responses

Sauce pls

Look at me killing your bumps:

HEY LADS, HER NAME IS CAMILA RADOSLOVICH

>tfw no Balkan gf

Enjoying it a fair bit. I'm not practicing, but I am doing a LLM in public Intl Law. After that I'll probably go for a doctorate. Primary focus is on international conflict and strategy. Secondary interests are in international antitrust, environment law and maritime commerce. Went to a mid-high tier law school in England, doing my LLM on a top3 in Canada.

Any tips on getting into a top law school? Extra curriculars? Clubs? Internships? etc?

mmm someone's from /s/

In order of importance

>Publications
If you have any, you're on a good way to be accepted regardless of grades. Law schools really value publications. This only matters for graduate law schools btw.

>Grades/LSATs
Top 5% of your class is enough for getting into Ivy League tier schools without a problem. Top 15% is enough for pretty much anywhere else, Canada and Brits included. Ensure that you either have a consistant or an upward trend with your grades (e.g. a rocky start but a shining finish). A downward or inconsistent one is not good. Aim to have a dissertation module in there, it really helps. No tips for LSATs other than study hard.

>Awards/scholarships
Look good if they're there, unnoticeable if they're not.

>Work experience
Relevant>irrelevant WE. A paralegal spot or a brief internship with a law firm or a law department of a big name can get you all sorts of places. Lots of companies do brief placements for non-law students. If you're in practice, disregard grades, aim to have 5-10 years of legal/paralegal work.

>Personal statement
It should be fairly unique, but remember you're not aiming for creative writing. Anything wacky can get you shut down. It helps if you point out areas of interest and developments in them.

>References
Have at least 3-4 academics/teachers who can write a letter of recommendation (the usual is 2 letters but you'll often find that people are indisposed, they may not teach anymore, etc). It's enough that you ask a question or two during lectures/workshops and visit them during office hours once or twice - they may even deign to write a personalised letter for you. These only matter if the academic person is at the head of their field.

>Clubs
Don't matter and should take priority only after you're in law school, if you want to go into practice. You should actually balance your law studies around those, since networking in law is crucial.

>Extracurriculars
Really don't matter.

>Publications
what do you exactly mean by that? Im going into uni in a few months

publishing essays in university reviews/journals, winning competitions that allow your essay to be published (pretty hard) or collaborating on research with your tutor (super hard). What sort of university? I'm assuming you're USA?

Question about US Law

How is it Constitutional for the federal or state government to remove a felon's 2nd amendment rights. I understand how felony disenfranchisement can remove voting rights depending on the state but how does a federal law trump a Constitutional right?

>mfw just studied EU law and now we're leaving the EU

>we're leaving the EU
Good one

You act like it won't be neccesarry for companies in the UK to come into conpliance with EU regs and laws when the UK starts trading with the EU.

It boggles my mind how many delusional, buttmad Remain supports there are on this website. The decision has been made. You think an image of the PM shaking the hand of the German chancellor, a woman who is straight up ignoring the EU Commission's wishes by talking with Britain, is evidence that Britain won't leave the EU? Merkel isn't a representative of the EU. Theresa May is starting the Article 50 process in 6 months time at the start of next year and we'll be out by 2019.

Hahahahahahahaha!

Sorry mate.

>act like it won't be neccesarry for companies in the UK to come into conpliance with EU regs and laws when the UK starts trading with the EU.

Ignoring the fact that the UK has higher standards that pretty much every single other EU Member State when it comes to manufacturing quality, upon leaving the EU direct effect will no longer have impact the UK. Treaties and Regulations can be completely ignored unless they actually represent a basic minimum standard which Britain no doubt meets anyway. Directives and recommendations are not implemented via direct effect and so have only ever been in UK statute anyway, which means that they can be cast aside without a second's notice if Parliament wished it so (after leaving anyway).

Different guy here, I'm about to start an undergraduate in economics (doing community college then transferring to a bretty gud state school) and i had really shitty grades in high school. Dunno how familiar you are with American grading standards but in total I had 2 F's, multiple D's and a few C's here and there, ultimately giving me about a cumulative 3.0 or so. My question is, if I'm able to perform exceptionally well in my undergraduate and end up with results close to my brother's (170 LSAT with 3.88 GPA in business), would I be able to turn that into a good redemption story and still have hope for an ivy/top 10 law school or did I fuck it up already with high school?

>. Theresa May is starting the Article 50 process in 6 months time at the start of next year
Even if she does, she'll negotiate so the UK will be out as little as possible in exchange for trade boons...in other words. the UK will lose EU parliament representation and thus be technically out, but they will probably be continued to be subject to many EU laws in exchange for being in on the trade benefits.

She would be committing political suicide if she did that though, therefore she won't do it. You understand that she isn't a committed Remain supporter right? She literally fence sat in order to reap the benefits afterwards. At the moment she's presenting herself as a neo-Thatcherist figure who is more likely than not going to get the whole thing started with or without another referendum. By presenting herself as not particularly fussed either way, she staves off the inevitable riots and protests by pissy 24 year rahs from Islington who care little for democracy.

Most of the British people voted to cut off their own noses to spite their own faces, and she will respect that. Leaders tend to not last very long when they haven't been elected and they ignore the majority of their own party members. Most Tories voters are Eurosceptics.

>EU parliament representation and thus be technically out

EU Parliament has never meant shit. Only the Commission and arguably the European Council have.

>continued to be subject to many EU laws in exchange for being in on the trade benefits.

That'll definitely never happen if by laws you mean wider regulations and integration. If there is one certainty that the referendum displayed it's that British people do not want to be governed by EU institutions any longer. May may end up allowing some free movement of people and services in exchange for a degree of access to the Single Market, but it would be electoral poison for her to go any further than that.

Not many EU countries are going to want to damage their trade with the UK, seeing as how it has a massive trade deficit (meaning tarrifs would actually impact EU member states more harshly) so we cannot expect any nation other than France and maybe one or two others to play hard ball during this whole process. Germany has already demonstrated yesterday that it will try to make the transition as smooth as possible. Britain is it's second biggest trading partner after all.

Im told doing well os done by channling your autism and marcism into physical form by kissing ass through five layers of cocksucking

Don't worry, EU law is still going to be necessary, especially if the UK joins the EEA. If not, do a LLM and focus on either economic aspects of law or international law, it's the second next best thing.

>the trade deficit argument
Trade is extremely overblown and while not completely negligible, it's the second next thing to it. UK's a net importer, so it's kinda ludicruous to claim trade barriers will hurt the EU more than the UK, more so if you consider the idea that there's a lot more to the EU than relaxing tarifs. UK's exports to the EU are 13% of the UK's economy. UK's imports from the EU are 4% of the EU's economy, most of it focused on Germany with other nations combined forming around two times Germany's amount. The EU is not just German car makers, French vineyards and Spanish olive groves. There are a lot more underhanded national interests going on.

The real issue that was almost ignored in the campaigns until June is the provision of financial services subject to bank passporting. The goddamn bulk of UK's economy relies on providing services, a fair amount of which (hint hint canary wharf) is reliant on the mentioned passporting aided by the freedom to provide services under EU law. This is almost non negotiable and the EU commission is not going to budge even a tiny bit without the rest of the four freedoms coming in hand, as we've seen with Switzerland and Frankfurt in the 90s. It's going to be EEA or bust, and even then the French have shown underhanded attempts to secure their own interests by considering the EEA- option with a brake on immigration but no financial passporting. I am extremely curious to see if Davis can go forth with his claim that he'll somehow ensure no freedom of movement AND freedom to provide services.

Highschools don't matter for graduate law schools as far as I'm aware. The only thing they'll look at is your performance in university and your LSATs there, so you're cool.

even more important than before because now you will have your own and the EU one, which makes it much more difficult for companies