How often did people bathe throughout history? I'm most curious about the 12th century upwards

How often did people bathe throughout history? I'm most curious about the 12th century upwards.

Other urls found in this thread:

journal.publications.chestnet.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

that baby being smothered

Ancient times?

Often

Medieval times?

Pretty often

Early modern times?

"Hurr bathing is for arrogant devil worshipers and it'll make you sick. Who needs baths when we have nice clean linen now?"

that guy peeping

Depends on region to region. Here's one for europe.

>5th century
couple times a year a year
>12th century
Once a month possibly
>17th century
Once a month or so.

>19th century
Maybe once a week or so?

>21st century
Daily for most

>Europe
>Bathing
Why do most of them smell like crap then?

high density + city smoke + rodents + poor sewage system

Not all of europe is same. A village with low density will have low better smelling people than city with large density. Simply because all the small smell sticks to all types of people in the city.

The Rigtangle people of North-South Odensia have been occasionally spotted rummaging through father's garden, and he is known to them as a man who does not like a little mottled hair or spotty skin.

So dad says, each time one of them come on by, he give em a good Spray of the hose. Rigtangle laughin' the whole time, but we note here only in passing that M. Johnson's spectacular catalog of North-South peoples suggests such an anthropological practice is not unique. Daddy disagrees, leaving us all to wonder why, but the vegetables remain in place and the Rigtangle are clean.

Are you retarded? You think the Roman bathing culture just disappeared after the western half collapsed
>Couple times a year
>5th century
No, regulare bathing fell out of favor in Europe gradually after the black death

Why after the black death?

Not him, but I would assume that they probably thought that water had something to do with spreading the plague, but that's an open guess since I'm not a scholar myself on the subject.

They also thought air had something to do with it

They didn't stop breathing after black plague.

But those with black plague largely stopped breathing.

I suppose so. Then I suppose bathing fell out of favor too. kek

because those savages thought that it was caused by bathing too much in cursed water

In China it was custom to bath every 5th day or before peforming a ritual from religious cermiony done by the emperor to just a quest bathing before eating dinner.
journal.publications.chestnet.org
/article.aspx?articleID=1059231

mhh it really makes you think

All of their faces convey the stereotypical Japanese noise in my head
>haawwwww

Unrelated, but when and where did onsen/Sentou first come about? Was it originally a chink thing?
Just came back from a long stint in the Orient and trying to ascertain if public baths are a direct japanese influence thing or a japanese cultural fetish thing.

I personally prefer showers so I reckon the last time I had a bath was a year or two ago.

The rural countryside had fewer bathhouses and many people lived in the countryside. For most people washing consisted of a tub with hot water, a sponge and some soap.

why do americans smell like crap then?

Why does Japanese edo art portray Japanese like that?

They look like racist caricatures of Japanese people

It's their traditional art and they viewed themselves as that.

>waaaah racism

So this isn't racist, it's an homage to edo-era Japanese art style?

>Wercom to shitty wok a take yo oda preez

It's a style of art, much like impressionism. It only looks weird to us because they didn't have a large realist phase to become the backbone of their art, like the Renaissance for Europe.

The Tokugawa shogunate was some crazy-ass shit in terms of "what" is culture in Japan. They were 1984 Big Brother-tier in that they determined and categorized "what" is art, theater, clothing, who does what, who can't do what, etc.

In the end it stymied Japanese art a little bit in terms of where and what it could have grown into, but it also produced something very uniquely "Japanese" that's not seen anywhere else in the world, ignoring subjective aesthetics of the modern day.

Is this fresh copypasta?

There's a difference.

Edo artstyle is traditional Japanese art style and how they viewed themselves, and it's uniquely Japanese.

You posted a character from South Park, drawn/written by Americans, and to display a Chinese (not Japanese) character, which can be seen as a racist caricature.

Would you consider art from any other time period to be racist due to how their eyes are drawn?

except shitty wok is obviously a chinese restaurant

I remember reading that Native Americans who were nomadic or lived near rivers bathed all the time.

It depends. Christians didn't bath during the black death so they ended up with fleas and lice that spread the plague.

Jews on the other hand have ritualistic bathing (especially the women).

That said, Christians in Germany though the Jews were up to something when they weren't dying in the same rates of the Christians.

Lynchings ensued.

I really dislike this misconception. People stopped bathing AFTER the Black Death. Before the plague, while they didn't bathe nearly as often as modern people, people bathed semi-regularly.

>"Righteous person washes twice per life: When he is born, and when he is buried."

Well why did the Jews not get sick? Where they really devil worshiping baby eaters?

Or maybe they washed their hands a lot.

Reminder that Jesus tried to stop this

Id like to see a source on this?

After Rome fell, running water and plumbing was not as common so maintaining that bathing culture became harder, I would imagine.

Depends on period region and religion, for example muslims wash five times a day (not necessarily bathing) and its false to believe people didnt bath in ancient times , public baths were and still popular to this day during all periods

A common theme in East Asia

>public baths were and still popular to this day during all periods

But not the same in every period, and only on cities, and not primarily for the purpose of bathing.

>5th century
>A couple of times a year
Bitch please, most people bathed and washed at least a week. In most nordic and german languages Saturday even means "washing day".

>le medieval people were unwashed meme

What's wonderfully erotic about these pics is that the author left these male characters to self-insert as so you can imagine yourself spying on female intimacy. The supposedly innocent boy who can still enter gender-segregated areas, the teenagers chancing upon women bathing in the mountains, the janitor who knows window and panel in the bathhouse. They're such solid choices they're still the bread-and-butter of lewd manga.

It just lacks the guy hiding in the closet/locker while girls undress.

Why did you quote

Is baby smothering erotic to you too? Can you self insert yourself into that evil act too?!?!

The Korean painting features Buddhist Monks actually.

No, they look like caricatures of stereotypical Japanese art, since the caricatures parodied them.
Racist caricatures are more like pic-related.