AGDG - AGDG Game Dev General

>How to enter the collab jam

pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

> Waifu Jam finished, go play some games!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early, you can work with by yourself or with a team.

>New /agdg/ Website (Still in beta)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

tools.aggydaggy.com
soundcloud.com/dr-doomsday/2-am
forums.sketchup.com/t/google-sketchup-8-still-free-for-commercial-use/5544
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If I set room speed in GameMaker: Studio to 60FPS, all my sounds play twice as fast as well. How do Is low down the sounds to the normal speed?

The only thing I can find is a function that doesn't work because it's deprecated.

do you guys still bother with the weekly roundup where it's like a chart filled with agdg projects?

tools.aggydaggy.com

go to recap

recap monday is tomorrow, someone will post the format then. there's also the recap monthly which is on the agdg site here: but that won't happening until the end of the month

Later guys, me and my game are going to watch a movie

>tfw my loading is instant and feels cheap

Should I make a fake loading screen that stays on for 3-6 seconds?

Cleaning pixel animations is boring

reminder that you should devstream making art and animation with comfy music

that was it! recap monday
thnx

it's been known to happen before

seconding this

was your room originally 30fps or something? I set mine to 60 fps in the beginning, sounds play at normal speed. I use both WAVs and MP3s. Are setting a new room speed through code or are you doing it in the window?

Fucking Nakoruru Why is her AI 10 times faster than everyone else's

I don't understand the point of this webm

6 seconds is way too long.

Hit trigger -> 1 second transition -> 1 second black -> 1 second transition -> ready

Sorry about the boreal.aggydaggy.com dry spell. I'm thinking about what I can write on coroutines and continuation passing in general.

thinking about it
any good programs to screencast?

Don't make it 3-6 seconds. Even 1 second and a really fast loading bar will be enough.

You could also try making your loading screen a minigame, since Namco's patent on that is kill.

? i;m curious

aseprite
blender
unity
ue4
gm:s
IDE
krita
photoshop

anything

I just realised you meant the actual broadcast software

use OBS.

I'm doing it in the window settings. I did it at near the beginning, after I'd added a few objects, but before I even imported my sounds.

What do you think of this song for an AC-like game?
soundcloud.com/dr-doomsday/2-am

>try to get program
>says I have to use something called "Cmake"
>give up

You should add a nice transition like a simple fade or wipe, but that's not the same as a fake loading screen.

Don't actually try to pretend it's loading something, that's retarded.

For while you're walking around? No. For beginning or ending credits or a special event, absolutely.

Way ahead of you guys. Already plan on adding a short stun effect to it as well, but I've also toyed with the idea of giving Mantishrimpgirl her own Pistolshrimpgirl rival. Basically rushdown vs zoner. But if that doesn't happen then the mantis is getting the pistol move.

I used cmake for a project last semester. It's actually really easy.

You can come too, she's open source ;)

HARD WORK AND GUTS

CMake is piss easy when you're not writing the scripts yourself.

o
what movie?

That's strange, what kind of files are you using for your sounds?
Do you have any code in the step event that the sound(s) play that would speed anything up?

Is this an adult game? Patreon link please?

Super Mario Bros

Try Ideaki Hanno on Patreon

Working on the space suit.

1, Space suit on the left got a corrupted Substance Painter file, one of the reasions I made a new one and I dont want to continue working on it and made a new one

2, Space suit on the left got very much detail to the point the mesh detail is too much and has about 4 different materials while the one on the right only got 2 materials and the mesh is quite simple and should work on a toaster

3, Space suit on the left is more detailed and got deeper folds and such

>inb4 that guy again

Why did the astronaut get shot in the face?

as always,nice work virtuadev

It got a parasite inside and its kinda like the slenderman.

Man i wish

What do you think this is a model of at first glance.

Car battery

2x1x3 lego piece

Was trying for a 9 volt but as long as you guess battery i suppose it's all good.

How to i improve the juice of this thruster animation?

Add a few big particles to the startup sequence

the whole thing looks kind of blurry

more light on the ship
moving parts on the ship
slight motion blur
more color than just blue
longer trailing effect

Thank you very much!

Sadly the file of the space suit on the right got corrupted for some reason and doesnt work anymore.

Yeah something went very wrong in the making of this gif. Hold on let me get some better footage.

Does extruding a shape into itself fuck anything up if i'm using blender to create models for unity?

I meant the left one in this picture sorry.

>Scratching her leg

stop posting this

Do you really need such a detailed battery?

I wanted to make a chracter made of batteries because i thought it'd be easier than creating a person.
Also i used to play with batteries as a kid and make little action figures out of them with blue tac

Do you not?

skyscraper that your ship is targeting in its crosshairs.

or a 9volt battery

Reworking my game engine to use your suggested structure. Not sure how I feel about it yet, it seems a lot more constrained than a pure ECS implementation and I haven't worked out how best to do things like collision detection with it, but it's interesting so far.

Well, really, the way you'd structure things is the same as you would with a regular "pure ECS". It's just as expressive, but comes from the perspective of adding flexibility rather than starting with too much and having to taking it away.

That said, for something like a turn-based roguelike, where being able to do anything to or with anything else is important and performance is not, it may not really give you much.

It's not a roguelike anymore

I heard the free version of SketchUp 8 (back when it was made by Google) is free for commercial use. Anyone know if that's true?

I'm trying to put together a work pipeline that is free as possible. If I ever finish my game and put it for sale I don't want to get sued for using pirated software (does that every happen?)

>Photoshop CC for textures and general art (already own for school)
>Blender for models
>SketchUp 8 for level architecture modeling

Total noob here, any other recommended programs for an UE4 survival horror game?

In GM, is there any way to make a camera not turn into a jittery fucking mess when following a thing moving at a speed with decimal values in it

1.5 speed is the perfect value for something.

forums.sketchup.com/t/google-sketchup-8-still-free-for-commercial-use/5544

I figured it out. Turns out it was just one sound that was playing faster, which happened to be the first one I added, and I fixed it.

Thank you.

im tired of beign a procrastinator
i will make a game
I WILL

Is that fence and the stuff behind it one image or two?

If two, PARALLAX THAT SHIT.

it's been 20 minute so far

I just want to see what it looks like and to see if I can steal anything

random placeholder from the internet
just wanted to see how much speed is needed to match with the animation

you can make the same modeling if not better in blender, it has measurements too and are easier to read.
maybe the viewport shading in blender isn't good so you can do stuff like adding hemi lights and matcaps

Stupid question maybe, but how come I can't open the marketplace in game maker? The Marketplace Beta tab only opens up to "Help" and "Preferences"

If you want you can model with matcaps in blender absolutelly no problem. Hemi lights might be more of a problem depending how many verts you are modeling, but if you dont do something super detail it should not be a problem.

It might be hard to arrange your viewport in Blender if you have no idea how blender works though.

Guys, I forgot to set my room speed to 60. Is 30 fps that bad in a 2d pixel plat?

Related questions, should I have all the values that are called each frame (animation speed, movement speed) be calculated based on the room speed in case someone's system isn't able to run the game at full fps? Is this even possible?

>24GB RAM

>Guys, I forgot to set my room speed to 60. Is 30 fps that bad in a 2d pixel plat?
No, but that's a stupid reason to keep your game at 30 fps.

it depends, sometimes you need to see topology more clearly and if you want to paint on models hemi lights are good. problem with matcap is that it hides shading artifacts that the default shader is showing, but its fun to model with

>tfw friend keeps asking if your game is done
>tfw you aren't even close

>Is 30 fps that bad in a 2d pixel plat?
Pretty inexcusable in 2016

I couldn't imagine someone having a toaster enough toaster to not be able to run a simple GMS game(unless you do something retarded), but even then you would use Delta Time, not the room speed.

I don't think using delta time is a good idea for a pixel platformer.

Is not all that expensive.

don't tell anyone about your game until you're ready for feedback
the simple act of telling people about your game gives you the mental satisfaction of having worked on it and you're less likely to complete it

Please stop forcing your "collab jam" in the OP. The next jam is space themed not collab themed. People can collab all the want on the space game.

>People can collab all the want on the space game.
This is true, and it's helpful that someone's going to match teams, so I'm glad the info is in the OP.

Is your game frustrating you or something?

Do they have a chance?

wings3d for modeling for when you don't feel like dealing with blender. Do note that it doesn't have plane tools.

Neat, but it doesn't need to be forced in the OP. Especially not at the very top and it should not be labeled as "collab jam" because that is not what the jam is.

ok so how do I make something like this on my own

heightmap + textures

just be yourself

>that
>heightmap
That's volumetric.

Perlin or simplex noise for the heightmap.
Or diamond-square displacement if you can't into some simple 4D math.

The textures can be generated from the talus (difference in height) and height. So large talus equals rocky. And deeper green the lower it is.

There's CLEARLY signs of erosion and artist intervention. Also it's not a fucking heightmap terrain. It's not that simple.

I would presume nearly all of it is handmade in Unreal's landscape editor, which I have no idea how to use (also I have no aesthetic sense).

It's not exactly very aesthetic, it's just showing off that it can do volumetric terrain, convincing erosion, bodies of water, vegetation, etc.