AGDG - A Game Dev General

Current jam is a collaborative space jam. Find out how to sign up here:

pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

> Waifu Jam finished, go play some games!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early, you can work with by yourself or with a team.

>New /agdg/ Website (Still in beta)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/5d3c7RzT
strawpoll.me/10414251
combatisp.tumblr.com/
docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Editor.html
donpommelo.itch.io/uplifted
youtu.be/GpGEeneO-t0?list=WL
unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/live-training-archive/scriptable-objects
youtube.com/watch?v=NTWSeQtHZ9M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for anime

Second for rape

Third for nodev.

The first guy already had you covered

You concept pixel is nice but I don't see how you can use that in a game, title screen or character UI portrait excluded.

text-adventure Doom-like with crafting and elements of zelda

stop it, second guy.

How do I set up a camera so that it follows the object currently being controlled?

Come on get rid of the name. We all know there's just 3 of us here.

Thanks! I'm not quite sure what it's to be used for myself however, an user simply asked for a witch on a broom when I was looking for something to sprite

You tell the camera to follow it.

What sort of answer do you expect without saying if/what engine you're using?

last progress sleep now

in Unity, drag and drop camera on player GameObject.

thank you for including the pastebin and i'm sure it is appreciated that you called it a collaborative space jam

You decide on what you think is best?

I'm confuse

Here is the real OP for next thread so you can stop fucking it up.
God damn I step outside for 5 minutes and you already made a new thread. You faggots make threads too early.
pastebin.com/5d3c7RzT

In Unity? EIther parenting, Vector3.Lerp or Vector3.MoveTowards.

Generically, you want to get a direction vector by subtracting the target coordinates from the camera coordinates, normalizing it, and adding that * speed to your camera coordinates.

>apocalypse, every aspect of civilization is in ruins
>bitcoin is still around

I had to, because the anime OP guy would have fucked it up even worse.

>anti anime hysteria

The jam is space collab. Stop trying to coopt the OP for your own agenda

You're making the same mistakes as artists, which is good I guess since it shows you're on the right path.
When making sprites, you should try to picture something that can be used in a game. What you did is very cute, don't get me wrong, but it's not a sprite per se, it's a portrait. Technically, you can't do anything with it. That is, unless you plan people to make games like Your previous work for example is something that can theoretically be already used in, for example, an infinite runner with a naked lady.

Placeholders you say?

It's not the OP image, it's that they usually don't change the info in the OP. Usually this doesn't matter because there's nothing going on here.

it really is some kind of psycho-pathological disease

I believe it is "Worksafe Request" user. Started airing last season.

How do you guys handle resolutions? In my old project i simply drew more of the game world on bigger resolutions because it was a roguelike and that didnt matter, but now im working on something else and seeing more of the world would be an unfair advantage to people with higher resolutions- and its also becoming hard to place everything with the smallest available resolution in mind.

first time ever i LOLed in agdg!

whoops
I meant GameMaker. I'm pretty sure you just turn it into an object but I'm still new to this so I don't know the specifics.

>concept art
>usuable
sometimes it's just to help visualize

>resolutions
I think you mean aspect ratios.
If it causes an unfair advantage just letterbox or (in the case of 16:9->4:3) just constrain the view so 4:3 players have a disadvantage. But allow them to also letterbox their game if they want the same experience.

i like this, did you do this

yes, took me like 2 hours

Why the fuck do you fuck keep recommending UE4.
This shit is useless for 1MAs.

no I did not

IIRC each view can be given an instance to follow.

Just really interested in who we'll be working with here.
strawpoll.me/10414251
strawpoll.me/10414251
strawpoll.me/10414251

ammm... are you confused or something?

====Weekly Recap===
Hello everyone,

Do not stray from the format below or else the scraper will probably miss your response. Try not to use things like additional line breaks or quotes.

A 1.5x1 .png file works best. A .webm will probably look awful since I just use the thumbnail for those.

====Recap Format====
Game Name:
Dev Name:
Tools Used:
Website(s):
Progress:
(+ For positive progress)
(- For negative progress)

HARD WORK AND GUTS

>music 2d
>music 3d
ee

>programming 2d/3d
Because I dunno what we will do. I can do both, prefer 2D. Way more fun.

why the mustache up her nose? it ruins everything

He probably meant sound.
You DO know how to make 3D soundscapes sound good right?

Well letterboxing becomes a nonissue if at higher resolutions i just show more of the game world. But that means at smaller resolutions the game becomes harder because you cant see as far away, so when i say resolutions i mean options like
>show more of the game world
>scale the drawing of the game so the same amount of game is always shown
>only allow a windowed and fullscreen option like tboi

about what?

Crap I forgot to mention it's multiple choice. I thought it would say so automatically.
I just thought it'd be funny but I guess yeah 3D audio is a proper thing in the modern day.

I realize that. Any advice, though? I mean, it's easy enough to switch from a hub world to level select screen or vice-versa, but if I'm going to go full Metroidvania, I need to decide now.

Game Name: Ancient Saga
Dev Name: Plessy
Tools Used: XNA
Website(s): teamessell.tumblr.com
Progress:
+Continued integrating the RPG side of the game into the action side.
+Coded most of the pages in the status screen.
-Realized they were bad.
+Tweaked the hell out of those screens.
+Upgraded party system to fit the new game's needs.
+Lots of misc updates.
-Stuck in GUI hell.

JRPG Boulder/Rock Enemy Dev here. Took a break after demo day but now I'm back.

Before now, all of my skills were hard coded in a script file. It only took a few skills before the file became bloated and hard to navigate, so I made a neat skills editor built off of Unity's editor.
This was my first time making an editor tool, so it took little a while and it's a little messy, but now skills are super easy to make and organize. The meat and potatoes of the animation and exact calculations ("Execution Instructions" and "Executable Command" in the editor) are still hidden behind scripts, but I reuse them a ton so it's not a big deal.

The jam is space only. With a guy who will organize collaborations

Well user nobody can really advice you on that beyond what I said (I think). Because it's all about how competitive your game is.
If it's not a particularly competitive game it obviously doesn't matter beyond user convenience.
If it's a competitive game you probably want some scheme which just appeals to the most common case and limit everyone to that.
>Any advice, though?
Maybe look at what kind of game you're having. Do you want a warp-point system. Does the gameplay fit an open-world type game?

Blender ?
Did you do it from scratch ?

actually ue4 is very 1ma friendly with the power of blueprints when faced against unitys coding approach.
a student in uni graduated this year using ue4 to build a game where the level is a complete model of our university. i asked him why ue4 and he replied that it is easier to code using blueprints rather than unity c# if you are doing everything yourself not using any exterior assets, addons...etc

Wrong

>unitys coding approach
How is c# worse than blueprints?
Wouldn't a 1MA want to do some metaprogramming at least?
If you don't do metaprogramming you're practically a nodev.

>Maybe look at what kind of game you're having. Do you want a warp-point system. Does the gameplay fit an open-world type game?

I guess right now I could go any direction with it. I just have the moving and jumping working, and taking damage, but it's very neat and easy to extend/modify, so I have nothing pushing me any particular direction. And I like both open world games and map screens.

I find maps comfy, though, and I think they make a nice breather. Plus I like when you find a secret exit and the map shows two directions unlock at once. So I guess I'll go that way.

Don't reply to bait friend.

I wouldn't call what those games do a "hub world". That would be more along the lines of SM64 or Amazing Mirror. Those overworlds are glorified level selection screens.

I don't think you have any idea what metaprogramming is.

Yo nigga is that in Unity

How the fuck

have you never seen 80s anime?

Actually, I suppose Amazing Mirror is more Metroidvania. SM64 is the prime example of a hub world, though.

You're allowed to have an opinion but that doesn't mean it's fact. The theme that was voted for was Space, it won the polls with over 50 votes.
In fact collaboration wasn't even in second place, "lewd jam" was in second place.

So the theme that was voted for was space, and space alone. Collaboration is just a secondary event that an user is helping organize.

You write code that generates code in some way. C++ templates are metaprogramming.
Metaprogramming is great, you can use it to generate very nice systems if you have a nice metaprogramming system. Shame they're rare and often overly generalized for them to be convenient. But if you're 1MA and have a rather large code-project it could work quite well. Even in unity.

You find that a lot of engine people make scripting languages for themselves or implement scripting. It's generally not just to seperate the native code from interpreted code. It's also for convenience of use. Metaprogramming can often cover many of those convenient uses better than a scripting language can. And you can have metaprogramming for your scripts of course.
No shut up. I'm not saying blueprints is metaprogramming obviously that'd be the anti of what I'm saying you fucking retard.

Templates are technically metaprogramming, yes, but what does that have to do with C# or Blueprint, or the rest of what you're saying?

>ywn put your face between her thighs

why even live?

Oh I posted in the wrong thread.

Cyberdemon531 confirmed for SPEEDRUN MARATHON DD9

NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE
HARD WORK AND GUTS HARD WORK AND GUTS

>revisionism
whatever you want user, get ready to see your game called invalid by everyone when people play jam games

Can you do metaprogramming with blueprints?
if no: that's why code would be preferred.
if yes: I revert what I said (assuming it's 'good' by someones standard).

I was just explaining what I see as the 1MA way. Also my programming ability was thrown into question. So I got defensive because I have very low self-esteem and need to defend it.

Man I really dig that model.
If you followed a specific tutorial please share it.

>lewd jam was in second place
You're worse than a holocaust denier.

Unity lets you make custom editor windows through the same API they use for their own windows. It involves a lot of brute-force, ugly UI programming and you have to google how to do a lot of stuff, but you can do a lot with it.
For the actual data storage itself, I used Unity's ScriptableObject class and stored it as a .asset file. There's a live training session on it that goes into detail if you want to check it out.

90% of the work is textures
there is no excuse for having bad models in 2016

Game Name: Combat ISP
Dev Name: CISP dev
Tools Used: GameMaker, Photoshop, LMMS, Audacity
Website(s): combatisp.tumblr.com/
Progress:
+Added Versus menu, can now choose arenas
+New Background for Purple Cliffs arena
+New Music for arena/character select in Versus

how is low poly so puffy?
this is important.

Here is the photo of both jam theme votes as they currently are.
Anons keep going on and on about
>"We voted for it, this is what we voted for!!"
So here it is, Space jam clearly won, collab isn't even in second place.
I'm not saying collabs shouldn't happen, but collab is not the theme of the jam.

docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Editor.html

>You find that a lot of engine people make scripting languages for themselves or implement scripting. It's generally not just to seperate the native code from interpreted code. It's also for convenience of use. Metaprogramming can often cover many of those convenient uses better than a scripting language can. And you can have metaprogramming for your scripts of course.
This is already taken care of (for better or worse) with Blueprint in UE4. It seems that the intention is for developers to use both, not just one or the other. Blueprint doesn't have the efficiency or API access of C++, but Blueprint has a less imperative control flow (it can delay, wait for a condition, etc.) than C++.

did i hear TEMPLATES??

Game Name: Uplifted
Dev Name: ElevatorDev
Tools Used: Java
Website(s): donpommelo.itch.io/uplifted
Progress:
+New statuses.
+More progress on quests and stuff.

post dev music
youtu.be/GpGEeneO-t0?list=WL

>discussion of theme to two-week jam lasts a full month

f-fraud!
Honestly user there were way more than two polls. One of which was a strawpoll. That was the first poll. Then there was google forms.

Game Name: [Placeholder Title]
Dev Name: N/A
Tools Used: GM:S, GraphicsGale
Website(s): N/A
Progress:
+Removed iframes
+Refactored hitboxes to work better
+Added an item obtain effect
+Added ability to equip items
+Automatic MP regen is now an item that you can choose to unequip if you want more of your bones broken
+Some water effects
+Fixed a dashing bug
+The boss can now be killed

do you store the data in an editable file? if so what kind? json?

Templates give metaprogramming a bad name. Anyone aiming to use anything like it should write their own preprocessor. It's far simpler and you will be spending the time you spent on writing your own shit on debugging with the templates horrible error messages anyway so just don't.

Poll Jam is the only jam

Metaprogramming is only a thing in primitive languages that separate the realm of terms from the realm of types.

See here Basically just followed this tutorial: unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/live-training-archive/scriptable-objects

The only way the data can be edited is through the custom editor that I built along with it.

Game Name: Frogs Life (working title)
Dev Name: Nasty Old Wizard
Tools Used: Game Maker
Website(s): /agdg/
Progress:
+farming
+inventory
+NPC shop
+spinning wizard
+volume control
+environment shit
+a lot more idk

you did not make this

It's not that bad if constrain yourself.
youtube.com/watch?v=NTWSeQtHZ9M
'Modern C++' is all bad though

Game Name: Plok 3D: A Fan Sequel
Dev Name: anonymous
Tools Used: Unity, Blender, GIMP
Website(s): thekingofakrillic.tumblr.com
Progress:
+limbs no longer go through walls
-which broke a few other things
+reflection rendering time is reduced
+new expandable/collapsible platform
+new low-poly background objects

That's one lewd pic right there.

Why do people assume he made it? He never even implied it.