/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

post progress

> Waifu Jam finished, go play some games!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early.
If you want to collab read this pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

>New /agdg/ Website (Still in beta)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

artstation.com/artwork/3abgm
clyp.it/0lixue20
indiedb.com/games/skyrogue
strawpoll.me/10414251
youtube.com/watch?v=y7FhBiF5_ls
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for waifus

Your waifu a shit.

Topjimmies on Twitch, can I get some of you to hop in to give me some trash game ideas? just doing a one off tonight.

meme's

Unity is royalty free now, yes?

reminder that COLLAB IS NOT OPTIONAL in jam

Remember: Stay hydrated.
A refreshing cold drink can wake you up and give you more effective dev-time. But go to sleep if you're mentally exhausted.
You learn more by sleeping because the brain solidifies the knowledge.
Keep your mind safe and have a critical mindset.

revote for jam theme when

vote was rigged, my idea didn't win

give lewd /srg/jam a chance

I never understand the rush to make a new thread so early. It's not like it improve thread quality. All you do is give yourself 15 minutes of fame.

gives people the ability to post and not worry that nobody will see it.

>give yourself 15 minutes of fame.
>fame
?

OP wanted to remove the collab from the jam because he doesn't like it.

>so early
>6 posts left in old thread when new one was made

Choose one.

>fame

on an anonymous christian image board

theres no reason for it, sometimes these threads go up to 800 posts and nobody bothers making a new one because we're either working on our projects, or having a good discussion. The only people who care for making a new thread at 750 posts are memers and shit-posters

topjimmies has made no progress in the 10 minutes I've been watching his stream. /agdg/ is truly the progress killer.

also, arkanoid clone as game idea

Reposting from previous thread

I've been working on a prototype in Unreal that at the moment just has some basic following AI that I can't seem to get to work. Is anyone here experienced in using Blueprint for that sort of stuff?

What do you all think of my game for the upcoming space jam?

Misposted last time, sorry.

ai is hard

Op here, I don't like the rush either. Unfortunately we can't wait til we're on page 9 or anything like that because there is always someone who posts their minimalist OP, or they fill the OP with memes, or various other things to fuck up the OP. So I'd rather make it 5 posts early than deal with that.

It's still in the OP, it's below Waifu Jam and Demo Day 9.

Which traits are absolutely necessary for an edgy edgelord character?

What the fuck are playback engines in the Unity installer?

>google it
Nobody explains what they are and what they do.

thx arkanoid it is, and yeah I've been waiting on game ideas to start working.

>Made shit all progress today
>Some UI layer work and engine structuring
>Tried to draw a slime character for game, turns out I need about 5 months more practice before I can do anything but roguelikes with ascii
Oh well.

Reminder to all that the aggydaggy website now has a feedback for where you can bitch about things you want changed or added on it -- it's on the home page.

Good night aggy daggy sleep tight don't let the nodevs bite.

>So I'd rather make it 5 posts early than deal with that.

You're a good spirited user, I like that, however, making the OP early doesn't discourage memers. It only makes them make a new thread at around 650 post.

We had a problem with an anime OP who was making each new thread 100-250 posts early. Sometimes even 400.

Jesus christ, why are the unity forums so fucking terrible? It's like the blind leading the blind over there.

>How do I break out of an infinite loop in the edtior?
>Don't make an infinite loop in the first place, you silly retard :^) (top rated answer, thread closed)

There are several kinds of edgelord.

Do you want edgy-religious (God hates fags), edgy atheist (in this moment I am euphoric), or some other kind of edgy?

Making a thread 5 posts early is harmless on Veeky Forums because the mods don't care that much. But threads that are made 100+ posts early will be deleted if people would actually report them instead of posting in them.

Maybe you literally can't break out of an infinite loop in the editor.

Is Unity royalty free now? Also, there used to be some debate about whether Unity or Unreal produced better graphics, back in Unity 4 and Unreal 3. Is that still a thing?

>Don't make an infinite loop in the first place, you silly retard :^) (top rated answer, thread closed)
How is that different from agdg? Last time someone complained about infinite loops breaking the editor and agdg gave the same exact reply.

Without fail, edginess must stem from verbosity.

wears black
wears a trench coat
wears a mask
wears a hood
talks in a deep voice
says typical "le I'm dark" phrases
has various dark smokey effects
throws his guns on the ground instead of reloading them, then pulling out new guns
says "die die die die" whenever he uses his ultimate.

Well then whoever told them that is retarded

unity doesn't have royalties, but you have to buy a license if your game makes a certain amount of money

unreal produces objectively better-looking visuals

Really? Even with both using physically based shaders now?

>wears black
>wears a trench coat
>wears a mask
>wears a hood
>talks in a deep voice
>says typical "le I'm dark" phrases
>has various dark smokey effects
>throws his guns on the ground instead of reloading them, then pulling out new guns
All of these are true of 1930s pulp action heroes like The Shadow and The Spider, and they're awesome.

So what gives?

That doesn't make them not edgy edgelords. You're allowed to like edgy edgelords.

Sometime after the golden age of pulp, America was neutered.

>unreal produces objectively better-looking visuals
Unity objectively runs on everything.
Having better graphics is meaningless if only the top computers with the top users can play your game.

That's fair. They also kind of make up for it by dedicating themselves entirely to helping people.

You're mixing up players with developers.
You need a powerful computer to run Unreal Engine 4 itself. You don't necessarily need a powerful computer to run games made with UE4. That's up to how much detail the dev puts into things, just like on any other engine.

Does Unity still use that fucking made with Unity splash screen?

I'd still like to point out the fact that literally ALL agdg unreal games run like ass.
Meanwhile the Unity agdg games run perfectly, even if they're all shit.

People are always trying to sell the better graphics argument but we still have to see a good unreal game with good graphics AND good performances.

Of course. You have you pay $125 per month to remove that splash screen now :^)

So, what's the hot 'in' game type at the moment? Last year, everyone was playing Metroidvanis.

Stop tryharding. Gamemaker has been making the same exact shit for years. I don't know for their latest version though.

What do they mean, "Unity ads"?

>hand painted texturing like a god

artstation.com/artwork/3abgm

mobile freemium-type shit

Hey /agdg/. Here's something I made while thinking about you:
clyp.it/0lixue20

Paying $35 still doesn't remove the splash screen?

You can integrate ads into your game. Unity itself doesn't advertise in your game (outside the splash screen).

It's not worth it, though. Unity has such a bad reputation that no 3D developer should touch it. Look at AGDG's UE4 games compared to their Unity games.

before/after

criticism and comments please

I love beginnings of art. Hey, what about stylized hand-drawn ASCII? Maybe as an experiment sometime. Slithery "t"s and stuff. I like thinking about the collab-via-website problem but I can't come up with anything good yet. I will submit random thoughts about it if I have any.

Correct. At $35 you will still have a splash screen.

Looks significantly better. I would add some detail to that gun, though.

>Look at AGDG's UE4 games compared to their Unity games.

Links?

He's memeing you.

Just lurk the threads or check the recaps. It's easiest to see the difference in motion.

>static lighting
Still impressive tho.

Too many colours. Too few pixels.

www.homph.com/steam

Risk of Rain: Game Maker
Cash_Out: Game Maker
Cavern Kings: Game Maker
Spaceman Sparkles: Game Maker
Uncanny Valley: Game Maker
Pixel Star: Game Maker

Catmouth Island: Unity
Megabyte Punch: Unity
Xenoraptor: Unity

Vagante: C++
Lethal League: C++

Painter's Guild: Flash
Restricted RPS: Flash

Aviary Attorney: Construct 2
Dreaming Sarah: Construct 2

Vampire of the Sands: Java

Aerannis: LÖVE

Pretty okay, some iffy parts like 1:06, but seems like it was probably a quick little ditty and for that it's decent. I don't regret listening! You did call it "masturbation" so maybe you don't need my sloppy critique but it's a little meandery, trying to get to too many places in too short a time.

Wasn't RoR made in Unity ?
I guess I'm wrong tough since I don't remember the Unity screen coming when the game is started.

Nah. His new game Deadbolt was in Game Maker too. Hopoo loves that shit (or at least can't be assed to move to something else).

In a way it was like a prayer. The Zurna was the extended arm reaching out of my solar plexus into the third eye.

lol

also thanks for listening

What about games that aren't on Steam?

> Exams
> Not passing them all but glad summer is coming
> Oh boy, I'm gonna spend my entire summer coding and learning 3d modeling
> Can't fucking wait
> Final exams. Today and tomorrow
> Turn on computer
> Black screen
> Spent the entire night trying to fix it
> Exam is in an hour

I'm fucked for my exam and I don't have my computer anymore and don't even know what the fucking problem is.

Kill me please.

Well, they don't really matter.

I'm going to make a itch.io list soon

>no skyrogue

Didn't conclusively find what it was made with.

Basically I'm trying to get my second AI to follow the first instead of the player, but because I'm using the same blueprint (playablecharacter) for both of the AIs, both of them are using the first AI (which works). Any idea how to get this working? This is what I have in one of my gamerule blueprints, will post the AI blueprint in reply.

In this, I'm spawning in two playable characters behind the already controlled character, setting the already controlled character to be the first in my vector of actors, and then possessing the two that were spawned in with the AI of DummycharacterA (which has the default AI) and DummycharacterB, which has the AI that's not possessing properly.

Oh, hmm, nevermind. It was made with Unity ( indiedb.com/games/skyrogue )

So all of AGDG's games that used Unity were basically 2d anyway. Why am I not surprised?

And here's the AI blueprint. This was the best way I could figure to find the playable character actor with the AI of DummycharacterA, but the event fails on every call.

>catmouth island is 2D

because 3d games require like 5 man-years just for art alone

>Painter's Guild
Why do we count this as an AGDG game? They posted like twice.

>They posted like twice.
Nah.

HARD WORK AND GUTS

are you calling Run Behavior Tree anywhere?
that should be in OnPossess

AND NO AA
AND JAGGIES

can you stop jerking off to this model?

>GUTS
what size?

Posting this again for more results.
Multiple choice.
3D Music is a joke.
strawpoll.me/10414251
strawpoll.me/10414251
strawpoll.me/10414251

I've only been using unreal for like two weeks, was unaware of Behavior Trees. I was constructing all of this inside a Gamerule and a AIController blueprint.

I'll look into it, thanks user.

>3D Music is a joke.
>implying 2D music isn't a joke
If anything 3D music is the one that makes sense.

Right is way better. I still think the color palette and the shading doesn't make sense.

Game Name: Project Wingman
Dev Name: RB-D2
Tools Used: UE4 Blender
Progress:
+ New AI optimization and AI LOD
+ Database is ready to use
+ World Origin rebasing refactor as it wasn't actually working last time
+ AI LOD Interpolation for smooth movement

Is this 3D music? youtube.com/watch?v=y7FhBiF5_ls

HUGE

How would you change it? I'm looking to improve.

I see. I can only give general advice I guess (not too experienced myself). Like, make sure you have a navmesh. Try to remove all the logic and get them both to follow the player character, then make small tweaks until you get it where you want it. Put print nodes in at each step to check what values are, use breakpoints/debugger.

We've reached 27 games in the recap.

If we break 30 there will be a special surprise.

what is it?

CP