What would you guys say is the most intimidating battlefield horn/whistle/trumpet/whatever?

What would you guys say is the most intimidating battlefield horn/whistle/trumpet/whatever?

Tie between the aztec death whistle and the carnyx for me tbqh lads

youtube.com/watch?v=I9QuO09z-SI

youtube.com/watch?v=hVAWwWi0DbE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2hZUZCoMKxA
youtu.be/IAMiTfSU7ZA
youtube.com/watch?v=YCPhNg_t9ZE
youtube.com/watch?v=0lx7lOORGZE
youtu.be/3kNeGtqP7zw
youtu.be/pijVLqViV5I
youtube.com/watch?v=23fZ-nzrYOw
youtu.be/ODM1RJe4FvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nZZ504TGDpE
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ehuAyK_t3DE
youtube.com/watch?v=G8t0KTOeMPw
youtube.com/watch?v=U9qA1DRHYOA
youtube.com/watch?v=1rmo3fKeveo
youtube.com/watch?v=7cufG2Dlxvk
youtube.com/watch?v=4d9H_1ygEv8
youtube.com/watch?v=htdxK2FtYII
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That death whistle is the coolbeansest thing ever! I must have one.

Here's a classic, but the sound of these droning over the hills must have been quite intimidating.
youtu.be/2hZUZCoMKxA

And here's another crazy one - this isn't exactly a battlefield instrument but it has been used as an acoustic weapon. It's the largest noisemaker mankind has ever made.
>runs on a 180HP Hemi V8
>138dB @ 100ft - which is well above the threshold of pain and immediately damaging to the ears.
youtu.be/IAMiTfSU7ZA

>screaming skulls

That death whistle is fucking creepy.

The psychological effect was probably real indeed.

The carnyx is amazing, I can't stop listening to that video

CARTOONISHLY EVIL

youtube.com/watch?v=YCPhNg_t9ZE

i would go with plain old fife. if you do it correctly it's fucking grim as fuck.
youtube.com/watch?v=0lx7lOORGZE

The Carnyx sounds like a sound effect from some Terry Gilliam short, so I'm going to go with the death whistle.

it sounds like a vuvuzela to me so all it does it make me think of soccer cucks so i just can't take it seriously

That would demoralise me even if I was in the army playing that song. 0/10 would not march to

nailed it right on the head. not to go OT but this is why randy edelman is a horrible film composer

youtu.be/3kNeGtqP7zw

Fucking Aztecs man.

I feel like doing Haka at sporting events is cringey as fuck but it's still a cool warrior thingy

youtu.be/pijVLqViV5I

that's prob the reason it's nowadays used only as a funeral march
youtube.com/watch?v=23fZ-nzrYOw

>Carnyx
>Intimidating
I live in Australia and that shit sounds like a didgeridoo.

IMO that East Asian practice of drums increasing in Tempo while the army is shouting is pretty up there.

youtu.be/ODM1RJe4FvQ

The Carnyx would be sick for a sound track in a war movie. Picture a bunch of big burly Celts at battle and slaying each other while only that horn plays for a minute or two, no music. Would be a great scene

nothing like the bagpipe

youtube.com/watch?v=nZZ504TGDpE

i think it was the other bag/pipe set on display had an effect too

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ehuAyK_t3DE
First military marching band in the world

>inb4 turkroach

Hahahahahhaha

Why were Aztecs so grimdark?

How about songs that make everyone want to die with honor?
youtube.com/watch?v=G8t0KTOeMPw

sounds like something out of Conan the Barbarian

Unoriginal but the Maori Haka is probably one of the best mixes of intimidation and morale lifter.

I think it's fine for New Zealand, but when other countries do it, it's kinda cringey.

The Aztecs entire civilization was based on being fucking horrifying.

They were not pure evil m9s, they had some other cool rituals

youtube.com/watch?v=U9qA1DRHYOA

The chest whistle:
youtube.com/watch?v=1rmo3fKeveo
(skip to 1:48)
Overtone singing sounds otherworldly to other cultures who never hear it.

youtube.com/watch?v=7cufG2Dlxvk
The Japs had some crazy drums too

That's neat, imagine not being able to see the ground below because so many people came out to see if their corn would grow that season... that or see if they would have to sacrifice 1/5 children again

Sounds like a blues brothers song that never makes it out of the intro

Why does the first video sound like they're layering the sound overtop? Just some editing to cancel out background noise?

this is a cool thread

The Death whistle is a modern invention, the one he uses to showcase how they sound probably uses reeds (the one ones he sells don't and are much less impressive).

They're essentially a ocarina.

I was hoping for that flute with screaming effect to be in there somewhere

Not a horn but it's an audio played for psychological effect. You may have heard of it, it was used during the Vietnam War against the Viet Cong. "Operation Wandering Soul" was a haunting recording played during the night in the jungles meant to play on the Vietnamese superstition that someone who dies and isn't buried with their ancestors will roam the earth for all eternity as a lost soul.

youtube.com/watch?v=4d9H_1ygEv8

youtube.com/watch?v=htdxK2FtYII
Imagine thousands of these on a mini horse marching towards you.

Why were the 1960s so fucked up in terms of psychological warfare experiments and techniques?

Collective PTSD

Mk ultra and the sabotage of the hippy movement (aka much chill, little passion)