/agdg/ - amateur game dev general

Just like make game edition.

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early.
If you want to collab read this pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC (embed)

> Waifu Jam finished, go play some games!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

Previous thread: >New /agdg/ Website (Still in beta)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: >>>Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

boreal.aggydaggy.com/programming/2016/05/26/entity-safari.html
2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/fix-my-sprite-volume-3/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Continued from this.

Is there a specific podcast platforum I should use that isn't awful? Soundcloud is 16 human dollars a month. Surely there's something better for free.

in my experience, freelancing is shit
most clients are not even sure what they actually want and i need to do like 3 revisions until they finally make up their damn mind.

not to mention some are making shitty excuses and drag project far beyond the time schedule

Thats not just freelance user

Spiders

idk i have no experience working at companies yet

I would really like an answer to this. Or should I take the lack of answer as "Just go, if I fail. I'll have atleast learned something".

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

oh SHIT

>"Board game" games
Hell yes. Keep us updated!

>HE ACTUALLY JUICED IT UP, THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
You're going places, user.

The original Captain Forever was fucking amazing.
The remake, uhhh. Looks arguably less so.

I went Endless runner -> simple FZero clone

The original was a tech demo fun for about fourteen seconds.

did u fix the bone

It's 5:15.
I sat up all night making this.
I don't even know anymore.

Is it worth to remove?

nah

There's so many better ways to spend $135 a month. Unless you have some high-grossing games behind your belt, hell no.

Why do you use an engine that you're ashamed to use?

HARD WORK
GUTS

This piece of shit right here is why I decided to make my own engine.

>There's so many better ways to spend $135 a month.
could get dope rims with all that.

Are you ever going to do anything with this model?

Burgers and whores would still be a better investment

I don't think he made it

I don't think he made it, he's just encouraging us.

opinions on this piece of menu?

it's for my new game GALAX 12 a space trading/combat/exploration game

Yup. Had to mess with blender sourcecode and also be very careful to make all unnecessary bones non-deforming when exporting as a work-around (letting me have unparented IK targets and the like.

Use an engine that isn't shit

jump animation done, it's not that fluid but will do for now
i will start attack animations now

>Burgers and whores
thats the name of my new mixtape

Picture clients for freelance, but now each client is 12 middle managers all desperate to justify their jobs and feel important and also none of them are worth shit or have real authority.

And they constantly work against you so they can blame you if the project fails so they wont get fired.

>stealing maplestory graphics

its just a placeholder to test animation speed

That lean back makes me feel uncomfortable, like hes about to wind himself.

Oh shoot. Well, I guess I should just go for my little tactics thing. Thanks!

How do I not get sued by ripping off a game?

I'm not able to progress anymore... Any advice to get back to work?

A moment of silence for the unsung hero of game development.

Great job, user!

>Could be costly on performance without some spatial partitioning
boreal.aggydaggy.com/programming/2016/05/26/entity-safari.html

Re-texture EVERYTHING. Add an additional gimmick.

This one weird tip will get you flowing progress immediately user

fucking do it

This is useful. I was already going this road already sort of. My basic entities were never truly generic. My worry was less the horrendous collection of components and rather the cost of traversing the vector I store them in and the implications of downcasting.

Save the money and play the Unreal and CryEngine idents after it so nobody knows what engine you used.

Obviously it would be the first one.

>the cost of traversing the vector I store them in
Yeah, this solution deals with that in a nice way. By default, you don't waste any time traversing anything that you have to skip over - you add that yourself with the optional components and branching.

>the implications of downcasting
Just don't do it.

i will fix the lean later

Thanks, user.
I spent so many hours on this, and yet it's not really smooth or anything.
Pic related.

I'll go kill myself now.

These are some tasty sprites. Make your game first, then kill yourself.

They seem to be laid out randomly and not in some easily parsible grid. Is this true? Am i missing something.

I'm completely new to version control, does anyone have tutorials/advice for using it with Game Maker?

Thanks. Okay. Gamedev will probably give me cancer anyway, so I suppose I might try.

Completely random. Drew all that shit in MS Paint (color adjusting in GIMP), and just hoped it would animate decently.
I really should try that aseprite thing.

What if the first engine did nothing but call the next engine?

holy shit after being on AGDG for months I only just realised you can CLICK ON THE QUESTION MARKS

fml

The optional seems like a good way to avoid both of those. I didn't know it was available. Is it in std?

(I use both 8.0 Pro and Studio Free, if that helps.)

What the fuck, user.

Then the developer is a retard and im going to stop playing.
Additionally, if that was true, i wouldnt even have enough ram to run 3 engines in the first place.

You best be joking

Any hope of a stream tonight?

DUDE

shh, I can't hear

Do you know you can click on every image to show the original resolution, and not just the thumbnail.

i dropped my toothpick

Am I understanding ECS correctly?
I just don't see how I'd have unique behavior. How can I make a specific entity act differently from the others? I might want a swarm of bats and I want one or a couple of bats to act differently.

Also would the Hittable component just contain the health/pushback strength or whatever?

How do you do spacial queries efficiently? Push a bunch of indexes into a quadtree?

Should the world also be stored like this? i.e. tiles with ground effects, or should that be done in some other way?

Still practicing that pixel art. I was kind of going for something like a Super Contra or Super Castlevania vibe here.

Opinion?

I know it's bad, but need some advice for improving.

Haha that's just silly facebook-user. Do you think we all just love this completely random question mark box from no particularly recognizable source? ;) :P XD

Here, with 300% size version as well.

Maybe dress her more? I suppose that'd clash with older styles but she's so generic. I'd stick her in a backdrop when the hero approaches the amazonian queen or something.

The entity is essentially a blob. Components are things you can stick on your entity . You have a system handle that entity for any relevant component.

Say for example you have a flight system that makes only entities with a wing component float in the air. Entities without that component arent processed.

Essentially entities are collections of components, components contain data, and systems are logic that act on that data.

Looks less like a swarm of spiders and more like two holes in the floor surrounded by TV static.

Also, what's with the glow effect?

I can tell that you just downscaled a picture, because it looks sort of decent, but you don't even know the fundamentals of pixelart.
Any retard would know not to leave that single dot on the head, for instance.

That said, it looks okay, if you can figure out how to animate it well.
Which you won't for years yet.

>implying you'd even know as you just stated you would assume the first logo is the engine used
Face it kid? You've got fooled by the "retarded" developer

Tyris Flare and Blaze's love child
hot

I had a critique, but the more I look at it, the more it looks like you scaled down some larger art and forced a number of colors.

I'm new myself but this looks great user, good work.

I'm just learning about pixel art, from this guy.
>2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/fix-my-sprite-volume-3/

I am am animator though, so I am already in good shape there.

Ignoring your severe case of newfaggism, there are people here who still click on pictures?

With Veeky Forums-x you just need to hover over pictures, gifs, webms or whatever. Much more comfy and easier, especially when you just want to see progress and ignore shitposts.

Who is stuck in the waifu design grind?

>144782207(You)
>144781239

Put your ego away.

What sprite style should I emulate for my first 2d game? I am new to spriting but can draw a little.

Fixed the AI bug. It will now try to hunt its enemies down, regardless of how far away they are.

I also fixed the height issue so that maps are scaled and traversed as expected. Still no jump animation, units just kind of levitate to where they need to go.

Not sure if I should start up on items or move back to fixing my busted particle system.

No. There's boost::optional, but since you probably don't want to pull in boost just for that you can implement it easily yourself with a tagged union.

Didn't you say you wanted to make a Patreon with Pixel art tutorials by the way? Still gonna do it?

NOT ONLY fucking that, but Ive been on Veeky Forums for nearly a decade :/

I just thought people were being sarcastic or just being comfy and asking how things were in general, and that the question mark was a meme.

Like "so guys what do you think" QUESTION MARK

You might just be retarded.

>answers question that isn't directed at you
>surprised people assume you're the one who the question was directed to

paper sketches

don't think I've seen a game like that before

Yes ofcourse, but whenever I saw the question mark I never clicked on it, because why would it have a high res version of a pixel art question mark. I just assumed it was a palceholder.

Man Ive been missing out on all the progress :/

>I just don't see how I'd have unique behavior. How can I make a specific entity act differently from the others? I might want a swarm of bats and I want one or a couple of bats to act differently.
You do unique behaviour by doing it, there's nothing about ECS that somehow precludes it. How do you do unique behaviour with OOP? You subclass and override, right? Well, you can think of that as setting a flag, and branching on it to do something different. You can also do it with something like a function pointer if you don't want a finite number of behaviours.

>How do you do spacial queries efficiently? Push a bunch of indexes into a quadtree?
What's the difference between ECS and OOP when it comes to this?

>Also would the Hittable component just contain the health/pushback strength or whatever?
>Should the world also be stored like this? i.e. tiles with ground effects, or should that be done in some other way?
Up to you.

>pixel art question mark
How old are you, seriously?

All the naughty progress to boot.
The best progress.

We are on an anonymous image board, poster continuity is a thing of the reddit.
And im not surprised by your stupidity.

>Ive been on Veeky Forums for nearly a decade :/
>pixel art question mark
>:/
Yeah, okay.

>new to spriting
>wants to know what "style" to copy

Don't do that. Set your limits with a palette and just sprite from there--try to stick to low numbers of colors in order to increase your workflow. Start simple and small. Don't copy the ideas in other pixel work until you've sprited your own stuff for a while, just so you can recognize your shortcomings first, then seek guidance for fixing them.

I've read boost may be useful for other things. Is std:: experimental::optional not the same thing? That turned up in my searches.

Also thanks for the implementation rip. If I can't justify boost for some reason I'll do that.

>nearly a decade
>:/
More like a week

Yeah, looks like the same thing. I'd use that, then.

too many flies?

Yeah, either less flies or turn them into cute little butterflies

>directed questions aren't a Veeky Forums thing!
>you must be from reddit!
thats some nice damage control you have got going there