Point out any sort of moral paradox in mainstream Christianity

>Point out any sort of moral paradox in mainstream Christianity
>"God works in mysterious ways ;)"

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.com/browse/faith
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the nature of god within even religion is that he is impossible to grasp by the human mind

deal with it scrub

*tips fedora*

Nobody told you religious ppl were smart fampai

>It's SUPPOSED to be retarded, silly!

>Salvation by faith alone

I have noticed this in a lot of discussions on various issues, not just moral paradoxes, it's the ultimate Christian cop out.

The cornered Christian will start trying to claim you aren't arguing with their specific set of beliefs and start claiming you're trying to argue with God.

well it is, especially considering that in christianity faith itself is a virtue. take the example of Thomas in the Gospel of John who is made a fool of because he needed to see Jesus himself before he would believe he was resurrected

Sure, but if you're in a discussion with someone with different religious beliefs to yourself or someone who has no religious beliefs it isn't really a very sound argument to simply say that gullibility is a virtue just because that is your personal religious belief.

well yeah, that's why they have logical and historical arguments. it's usually only once those are torn down that they fall back on faith. even creationists will attempt to show that their opponents are illogical

People decide to convert to Christianity because they are attracted to the lifestyle it offers not because they lost an ebin debate match. Many non-believers think the point of religion is to have an airtight philosophical framework through which you can evaluate information from the world but this is a very narrow view of spirituality because it is purely cerebral and ignores the other components that make up a person. Atheists especially are often made fun of for being autistic because they can't seem to grasp that religion isn't about having all the answers to any Socratic question you might get asked but is ultimately about the attitude of your heart.

>inb4 Ahem excuse me good gentlesir but the heart is an organ responsible for pumping plasma through the cardiovascular system, it cannot have an "attitude" you ignoramus *snort*

I haven't noticed many logical arguments and 'historical' arguments are usually entirely logically fallacious in themselves.

Let's be honest, lad. Virtually no one in the developed world is converting to Christianity and the argument you made for "spirituality" could apply to any religion you could name.

by logical arguments I mean like the first cause, etc.

Acknowledged, but that would be an argument for Deism rather than an argument for specifically Christianity in the first place.

>nb4 Ahem excuse me good gentlesir but the heart is an organ responsible for pumping plasma through the cardiovascular system, it cannot have an "attitude" you ignoramus *snort*
except this is about a figure of speech. nearly everyone knows that the heart just pumps blood. a better comparison would be if people actually thought the heart had control of emotions, we point out that it doesn't and then you come along supporting people's incorrect beliefs about the heart because the expression has value

Well lad that would honestly be false. People in the developed world are both leaving and converting to Christianity. However I can concede that the rate at which people are leaving the church is higher than those converting but these things are cyclical. For example, the "Second Great Awakening" of the 19th century a religious revival that reversed the secularization that was resulting from Enlightenment values of the 18th century.

And I would agree that people ultimately convert to any religion because of lifestyle factors but every religion offers a different lifestyle. To live as a Muslim is very different than to live as a Christian or as a Jain or an Animist. The Christian lifestyle is unique for a number of reasons but I think the most significant is that it is the only religion that is explicitly based off love. Yes most religions tell you to be nice to people but I don't know of any other than Christianity that tells you to love your enemies or that "God is love."

The South Koreans are actually pretty fervent for a developed nation about Christianity. However, like a lot of Western ideas implemented in Asia, they took the worst bits.
Christianity is actually the largest religion in South Korea by about 4% ahead of Buddhism (as to why, it's because they were already suppressing Buddhism in their last dynasty before Euro introduction with Confucianism). However, they're pretty danged evangelical about it, even going to Buddhist colleges and handing out pamphlets about why "they're wrong, you should listen to us and Jesus."

The thing is your last post literally included a snarky dig about "gentlesirs" etc etc, the majority of Christian arguments on this board and elsewhere consist of personal attacks on the non-religious and people following other religions, Christians seem to be a lot more keen to physically chastise (i.e. abuse) children and studies show Christians are a lot more judgmental about other people.

Then you want to sit there and preach about "love" and how Christianity is the only religion that teaches "love your enemies".

I'm not buying that.

>Oh good heavens! He was snarky on the internet!!! What a deplorable hypocrite and reprobate!! How dare he even talk about love when he makes such hurtful hurtful comments!!!

Sometimes tough love is necessary princess.

>immediately stitches up his own claims.

Fair enough.

>I know, if I focus on identity politics and avoid logic, I should have people doing what I want in no time

American """Christians""" in a nutshell.

>God is all loving and all forgiving
>enjoy your bubonic plague

ironic response when he was actually calling you a faggot

>Virtually no one in the developed world is converting to Christianity

The poor and disenfranchised do. You see it all the time in prison. God acts as a light at the end of the tunnel for these people.

My claims are supported by Holy Scripture and that's all they need to be in line with Christian doctrine.

It's not about what I want.

DUDE IRONY

>It's not about what I want

Sure it isn't.

>don't worry, you won't go to hell
>as long as you give me your money
>and live your life exactly as I say
>and don't ask me any difficult questions

You are literally having an argument with an imaginary stawman in your head.

Christianity is about following Jesus. I am completely irrelevant.

>My claims are supported by Holy Scripture and that's all they need to be in line with Christian doctrine.

*shrugs*

That's your personal religious belief system. It's not an argument.

It's certainly true that the uneducated, poor and criminals are more likely to be religious, yes I agree.

That isn't a paradox, it's a platitude.

What isn't?

>God works in mysterious ways

There is nothing in the concept of God that suggests he must necessarily 'work' in such a way that 'his' 'intentions' are obvious.

there is in the christian conception. the christian god is supposed to do things out of love

I asked what you were referring to as "not a paradox but a platitude".

OP referred to moral paradoxes within Christianity and said Christians replied to them with "God works in mysterious ways". He didn't say "God works in mysterious ways" was a paradox.

"God works in mysterious ways" is certainly a platitude so at least you got that right, if that is what you were trying to say.

>implying love isn't full of surprises

?

I'm not even clear whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with those posts.

Christianity requires you to believe that it is true before anything else. If it doesn't fit your standards for truth, yet you call yourself a Christian, you are a hypocrite.

>implying love involves genocide and human sacrifice

Re-read the OP, please. It follows a familiar Veeky Forums posting pattern. Green text topic, one to incite flaming as quickly as possible, followed by an example, also in green text, to kick things off. OP even put his example, already green to indicate 'quotation', in quotation marks, to make sure everyone was following along. Yet you still managed to fall behind.

Nevermind, I see it now. I hate this place, I hate myself.

Christianity is true but that doesn't it mean it gives neat lil answers to life's deepest philosophical questions tied up with a pretty pink bow on top. There are plenty of things that I do not understand about God but that does not prevent me from wanting Him in my life.

>being this vanilla

I think you should actually. the OP specifically says "moral paradox". OP isn't calling "mysterious ways" a paradox, although he is implying that it's illogical

Lol. you've completely misunderstood OP.

kek.

>thinking he understands OP
>can't even follow green text

You've actually earned my respect for this post.

Serious discussion works much better when we admit we are wrong or misunderstood something.

I do it, even if it hurts my argument in a thread.

>admitting error
>on the Chins

Top faget.

>faith having to do at all with "truth"
>true
>a religion that is not even the first one
what are you even doing on this board

>Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Leave him alone.

dictionary.com/browse/faith

Read the filename. (Im not him)

I read it, obviously.

*Tips menorah

>incest is bad mkay
>adam and eve were the only 2 humans at one point, they had kids, and now more humans exists

> God is omnipotent and omnibenevolentt
> But he wouldn't stop rape and murders

>Infinite beings with no beginning should make sense!