Wtf was their problem? And why are they so underrated...

Wtf was their problem? And why are they so underrated? Usually people jizz themselves when they hear about mysterious shitwrecking raiders yet they are as mysterious as you can get, almost stomped Greece back to stone age and no one mentions them.

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07fl5bh
youtube.com/watch?v=qQEo5G_OrVU
youtube.com/watch?v=RV2qiy1zaIc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnL0pAsLM80
youtube.com/watch?v=X8fM-CGQVCY
youtube.com/watch?v=JrdC4JtKqXI
youtube.com/watch?v=vig9F7B0D0U
youtube.com/watch?v=hyry8mgXiTk
youtube.com/watch?v=EVi6diCjZ_Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Greece
What?
I thought they were if not greeks then at least cousins or something, and didn't they fuck over egypt and hittites?

Because we don't know.

We just

don't

know

If you're interested in British middle-to-high-brow radio programming, "In Our Time" did a recent episode on the Bronze Age collapse discussing the Sea Peoples.

It's pretty great, but then every episode is great.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07fl5bh

They were in Egypt too you retard it's not like you can raid only one fucking country just look how widespread Mongols were.

>underrated
more like almost nothing is known about them so there isn't much to talk about so then they don't get talked about that much

I think they're Hellenes m8. If you look at the origin of the word Goliath of Biblical fame it bears a striking resemblance to Kalliades, a Grecian name

They also came from Sardinia, Sicily and Italy:

youtube.com/watch?v=qQEo5G_OrVU

Activate the subtitles

well Goliath was from a Philistine city-state and we know that the Philistines were one of the sea peoples that came from Greece or the surrounding area

Has nobody realized the simple relation between the Greeks attacking Troy during the Trojan War and the Sea Peoples popping up?

The Ancient Greeks were known in the time of Troy as Danaoi on occasion. The Egyptians record Denyen as one of the names of the attackers.

It's very likely that through the hundreds of years Ancient Greeks had relied on naval invasions in war and the 'Invasion of the Sea Peoples' was simply the most important early example

Sea People were Aryan Vikings just connect the dots
>excellent warriors
>horned helmets
>raid

they clearly were Norse

that there was a city of Troy doesn't prove there was a Trojan War, especially not one on the scale of the Iliad. there might be some historical kernals in the Iliad but it's retarded to pretend we know what those kernals are

>horned helmets

The ones wearing horned helmets were the Sherden, who came from Sardinia, not really Nordic

It can be reasonably concluded that peoples from Southwesterly Anatolia, Ancient Greece and Southern Italy were all involved in slave-raiding, copying each other's behaviour.

At about the same time Linear B tablets record increased slave-raiding. It's likely all sorts of Semites and Afro-Asiatics were brought to Mycenae as captives.

The timing of the invasions is also concurrent with what people call the Dorian Invasions, which revisionists often refer to as a series of migrations.

This is shaping up to be a pretty comfy /x/ thread

I'm going to make some tea and fetch a blanket

The kernel is an invasion of Troy by a bunch of Greeks.

The point is sea invasions were a feature of Greek life even in to ancient times, user

That's not a stretch, whatever you might imagine

See how similar the helmet wore by the guy on the left is to that wore by these Mycenean warriors at Pylos, all these people, who according to Egytpians came from all lands and from the islands, adopted similar costums and traded frequently, they then decided to cooperate in order to attack the richest kingdom of the Near East.

It's almost as if the post was a joke you fucking autist.

They're simply too mysterious.

This is the distribution of oxhide copper ingots during the bronze age.

he ingots show the familiar shape of four protruding handles, and the men carry them over their shoulders. These Cypriot stands were exported to Crete and Sardinia, and both islands created similar stands in local bronze workshops

Also according to some new studies many were mined in the Sinai peninsula too.

Yeah okay, I meant as in I was not aware the greeks had been subject to attacks by the sea peoples, and I was under the impression they came from the general direction of Greece to raid the Levant and Egypt, faggot

The uluburum shipwreck's cargo, to give you an idea of their trade routes.

During the 13th and 12th century bc, contemporary to the advent of the sea peoples we see the appearance of foreign presences in Cyprus and Crete, for instance we see more and more Mycenean pottery in Cypus, along with Italic and Sardinian pottery used to carry foodstuff, in Crete, which was already under control of the Myceneans, we see Italic pottery too and especially a lot of Sardinian pottery in the area of Kommos, interestingly enough some Greek historian speak of a war between Sardinian pirates and the people of Crete during ancient times.

Because you are retarded. Besides Greeks themselves fought with each other a lot.

You're pretty dense yourself, lad

Let's set the mood even further.

youtube.com/watch?v=RV2qiy1zaIc

youtube.com/watch?v=pnL0pAsLM80

youtube.com/watch?v=X8fM-CGQVCY

youtube.com/watch?v=JrdC4JtKqXI

youtube.com/watch?v=vig9F7B0D0U

The whole bronze age collapse is fucking wild.

>destroyed civilizations and set mankind back hundreds of years

I'm convinced they were Germanic now

If you look hard enough you can identify many of the sea peoples.

Akawasa and Deynen sound exactly like the Akaioi and Danaoi of the Illiad, which took place during the same time as the invasion of the sea people, and Akawasa are often mentioned by the Hittities as a hostile people, who also invaded Cyprus..

Sherden and Shekelesh sound an awful lot like Sardinians and Sicels/Sicilians, and we know that during that time they were present in Crete and Cyprus, probably as mercenaries and merchants, also their depictions of warriors are a lot similar to the Sherden depicted in Egytpian reliefs working as mercenaries for the Pharaoh after being captured during their coastal raids, pic related.

The Lukka are the Lycians, the Hittities name them often, and they served as allies of the Hittities during the battle of Kadesh and were listed by the Egyptians as Hittities' allies.

The Peleset or Philistines were most likely the Pelasgi often mentioned by ancient Greek writers, we know from their material culture in Palestine that they came from the Agean and the Hebrews themselves said they came from Captor, we also have depictions of Cretans and Cypriotic people similar to the Philistine invaders. represented by the Egyptians..

The Weshesh might be the Italic Oscians.

>sea people
>setting people back

the opposite actually

(You)

Thanks to them bronze age ended.

I admit I laughed

> tfw mycenaean females costume will never become fashionable again

this. they're just some random pirates somehow linked to the societal collapse on the same area in the same time.

>ywn wear one of those cool feathered hat things
>ywn hack the shit out of Israelites on the battlefield in the name of Dagon

Kill me

They didn't actually exist (at least in the way meme historians portray them) for one.

Don't forget those effay red shoes.

>almost stomped Greece back to stone age
I'd suggest they were a symptom of the collapse rather than the cause. A breakdown of the elaborate Bronze Age maritime trading network would lead to a lot of displaced, angry sailors.

>not really Nordic
Veksoe hjelmen (the helmets from veksoe) is two bronze helmets found in a swamp near Copenhagen (Denmark). The helmets were most likely produced in southern europe, HOWEVER no helmets like this where ever found in southern europe. The helmets is dated to app. 800-1000.

>the Trojan war

You mean the fictional story?

>The helmets were most likely produced in southern Europe, HOWEVER no helmets like this where ever found in southern europe

You should know that in Sardinia alone there are like 300 bronze statuettes depicting warriors wearing horned helmets and several giant stone statues displaying them.

I didn't know those in your pic were made in Southern Europe, if that's so I'd say most likely in Sardinia, pic related.

I remember when everyone was saying ''horned helmets aren't practical no one would wear them!''

yet they did

also is this guy dual wielding shields?

>also is this guy dual wielding shields?

Yes, some of them did apparently

Basically (this is at least what I've read) some of these Sardinian warriors wore a suit with two extra limbs to hold the shields.

Thats pretty next level senpai

I dont think sea peoples are based (or vikings), It makes me sad how they destroyed the Hittites, or Ugarit.

I agree on them, and the dark age they caused (the greeks forgot how to write for centuries) are very underrated.
they are much much more important than vikings, the sea peoples caused something like an extinction event of bronze age civilization.

The chief enemy they had to contend with were chariot-archers. Their tactic was to hurl javelins at the horses, immobilizing the chariot, before rushing forward with their shield up to close the distance asap and stab the charioteers. By all accounts this was a tremendously effective tactic that made mincemeat of the armies of the settled civilisations of the Orient, which relied on a cadre of elite chariots supported by part-time low status footmen.

Read what that user said again, your response has nothing to do with what he said.

>Has nobody realized the simple relation between the Greeks attacking Troy during the Trojan War and the Sea Peoples popping up?

Yes, every scholar on the topic is aware of this. It's typically seen as part of the general pattern of cities being sacked by unknown parties including sea peoples, not as being it's cause.

I think the horned helmets thing just kept getting brought up because Vikings most assuredly did not wear them. Eventually it evolved into "wearing a horned helmet is literally suicide stop talking about it".

The Celts also used horned helmets. There's no doubt they would be a disadvantage in a duel, but the scare factor was probably significant against untrained fighters.

Are there any good documentaries about the Bronze Age collapse?

Not documentaries but these are both good
youtube.com/watch?v=EVi6diCjZ_Q

thank you so much for linking these. This is very interesting

lol did they stab people with their helmet spikes do u think