Let's suppose for a second that there was a guy called "Jesus" who lived 2000 years ago in Galilee...

Let's suppose for a second that there was a guy called "Jesus" who lived 2000 years ago in Galilee. If I recall correctly, the original aramaic name is "Išo".

How commonly used was that name back then? Was it like saying "John Smith" nowadays?

Other urls found in this thread:

yeshuaincontext.com/2011/03/jewish-names-in-galilee-and-judea/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

wasn't he called Emmanuel by his parents?

can't remember desu

I doubt anyone has an answer to how common the name was back then. It supposedly means ""fasting"" and that makes me wonder if Jesus ever starved himself for religious reasons.

If Jesus is God, what is stopping him from being born as a 6'3", blond haired, blue eyed, handsome white man?

Checkmate, atheists.

He knows that imperial system sucks.

Who says he was not? Also during the 2nd coming he is supposed to have white hair and bronze skin according to Revelation.

>white hair and bronze skin

so...

T-t-trump?

Kek fuck you, you were like 5 sec faster. Also stop this shit thread, every week with this boring bullshit

Humility

That's him coming in his wrath. In the bible it says his regular appearance was undesirable he was an average looking Jew

>15:17:06
>15:17:09
gotta go fast

I've never understood this picture. Most people living in the Levant are quite fair skinned, why would they choose some guy that looks full blooded Arab?

Perhaps.
John and Jesus have just about the same meaning.

muh jesus was a darkskinned marxist-leninist narrative

The profile view has him being fairly pale and he has green eyes so it's not like they modeled him after a Yemeni or something. I think it's reasonable that he would have a darker complexion due to being a man who often worked and preached out of doors.

>"He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to Him, nothing in His appearance that we should desire Him.”

Safe to say he looked like an average peasant Jew.

What? His name was, in Aramaic,

ישוע

It's a shortened form of "Joshua", there's nothing to do with fasting in it.

And yes, it was a pretty common name.

yeshuaincontext.com/2011/03/jewish-names-in-galilee-and-judea/

>The name Yeshua (Jesus, a short form of Joshua that was common at the time rather than the longer Yehoshua) was the sixth most popular name. It was likely so popular for two reasons: it was theophoric (it had a prefix indicating the divine name) and the figure of Joshua as the conqueror of the land sat well in an age of messianic and revolutionary hopes (at least for a return to the glory days of Hasmonean sovereignty).

If I recall correctly, the original aramaic name is "Išo".

>being this absolutely stupid and ignorant

he spoke aramaic but jewish names are in hebrew you retard`
his name was joshua, yeoshua in the original

go kill yourself, for the gene pool, please

Like that whole bit in the desert?

>If I recall correctly, the original aramaic name is "Išo".

You do not recall correctly, his name was Yeshua

he literally was

Jesus wasn't Aramaic, he spoke Aramaic, and his name probably would have been a transliteration of a Hebrew name into Aramaic.

At the time, Aramaic had become the common language of the middle east, displacing Hebrew, Akkadian, and other such local languages.

Because the guy who made the pic is most likely a fedora who wanted to strike back at his funDIE religious parents because he has some issues. Very sad.
Yeah but if you look at the average Palestinian, even after a millenium interbreeding with Arabs some are pretty white

Weren't his last words Aramaic though?

I literally said he spoke Aramaic. Speaking Aramaic doesn't make you Aramaic. The Aramaeans were a group of people, whereas Jesus was a Hebrew.

Although, I think some of the attributed last words of Jesus are quotations of Psalms, which would have been in Hebrew. Jesus likely knew at least moderate Hebrew, as it was the Liturgical Language of the Jews

The "last words" of Jesus are different in all four Gospels.

However, Mark gives an Aramaic rendition of Psalm 23, and Matthew gives the same verse in Hebrew, except for the last word which is still Aramaic. Make of that what you will.

When you're crucified and on the brink of death I doubt that the effort wouldn't tax you enough so that you start speaking in your mother tongue

That's why I said some of the attributed words.

Also, there are various Aramaic phrases in the bible which have been transliterated and may be direct quotes, such as Talitha Koum.

I don't get what you're trying to contend. Are you trying to say Jesus spoke Aramaic, because no one denies that. Are you saying Jesus was an Aramean?

I'm saying that even the attribution of the last words on the cross being in Psalms don't actually give them in Hebrew. This, however, is likely due to the Greek origins of the Gospels, they tend to be a bit fuzzy about linguistic differences between the two.

Yeah, it all depends on who wrote down the gospels first, I suppose, and what languages the theorized originals were in.

It's all very interesting.

prophecy
>For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
Isaiah 53:2

On a slightly unrelated note, at what point did anglos start pronouncing it jesus instead of yezus, and why?