Ask anything related to algerian history or society

Ask anything related to algerian history or society
Questions about Lybia, Tunisia and Morocco are welcomed.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TV4mmU9b7i8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Were they kangz n shiet?

Algerians are actually very ignorant about their history

algerians are mostly interested about Islam, but they indeed have that attitude towards a " muslim golden age" they cant stand to have some question it

How do the berbers feel about their distant christian past ?

Abdelhamid Ben Badis or Abdelkader el Djazair?

Abdelkader > Ben Badis

How extensive was Spanish influence/control in the 15th-16th centuries?

What's the general attitude towards Europe?

Why didn't the frogs just wipe them all out?

Are Algerian white? What is the gene pool of the Algerian people?

Why aren't they just called the Islanders?

Are Algerians just arabized Berbers? If so, how aware are most "arab" Algerians about their Berber past?

I've heard half of Algerian arabic is just french? why are they so cucked by their colonizers?

Not OP but algerians are pretty much the whitest among maghreb/arab people

How do you see the future of the region ?

There are a lot of independentists among the Algerians who want a Berber nation without the Arab scum polluting their bimillenary culture

French is a secondary language there, I believe.

Muslims there want to eradicate it

I wish I knew. This stupid obsession with the "mission civilisatrice", I guess. Algeria was one of our only colony that we actually planned on settling. We should have sent more settlers, wipe them out, outbreed them. Imagine a French-dominated Algeria today, 60% or so Pied-Noir.

Instead, now they colonise us.

btfo'd by indo-chinks, go surrender somewhere else

ça va mon petit facho ? trkl ?

"BTFO" by public opinion at home turning against the war after a admittedly big defeat and almost 10 years of guerrilla warfare supported by both China and the USSR.

>ça va mon petit facho ? trkl ?

Oui, ça va, merci. Ça fait une éternité que je ne me suis pas fait traité de "facho", c'est presque rafraîchissant, je devrais traîner sur des forum francophones plus souvent.

How do Europeans feel about their distant pagan past?
How do Pakis feel about their distant Hindu past?
How do Turks feel about their distant shaman/Buddhist past?

They just don't think about it.

an* admittedly

I second this question

If Spaniards had not discovered the Americas, they would have focused all their efforts on North Africa. Isabel wanted to take the Reconquista there.

>How extensive was Spanish influence/control in the 15th-16th centuries?
During the reconquista, a lot of spanish jews fled to north africa together with educated mudejars which influenced greatly our culture in big cities like Oran, Tlemcen, Nedroma, Blida, Alger, Mostaganem, Cherchell, Annaba, Béjaia.
Then the spanish started to attack our coastal cities. They managed to take Oran for many years where they built the saint louis church which still stands today (pic rel)
It as that period that algeria requested the support from the ottomans to stand againts the powerful spain
The reason why morocco did not fall in the ottoman empire was because sultan Mohammed ech-Cheikh allied with spain against the ottomans. Spain and the ottomans remained rivals for almost 400 years, until the fall of the habsbourg family

>What's the general attitude towards Europe?
vast question
this is where they all want to emigrate
please be more precise

>Why didn't the frogs just wipe them all out?
they wanted to, like in north america, but they realized we were more useful as cheap workforce in the wineyards

we are caucasians but not blond haired blue eyed people

we are, that's the meaning of the word algeria

What is seen as algeria's golden age ?

>Are Algerians just arabized Berbers?
We are but we had a lot of race mixing in that area of the world
>If so, how aware are most "arab" Algerians about their Berber past?
some are, but wahabism and pan arabism or bassism or nasserism, call it as you like, tryed to destroy that idea very hard. Almost only the berber speaking people resist it

>I've heard half of Algerian arabic is just french?
actually 1/3 french, 1/3 berber and 1/3 arabic
>why are they so cucked by their colonizers?
it is just the reflect of our history
english is just a mix of french, latin, german celt, arab and greek language

>How do you see the future of the region ?
I have no hope left for my lifetime

>How do the berbers feel about their distant christian past ?
they see it as a darkness period before arabs brought them the one true religion together with civilization

>What is seen as algeria's golden age ?
the middle age period with al andalus

Also what do modern day algerians think of the ottoman period and the empire in general.

they think the ottomans treated them as equals when the french treated them as subhumans
yet they feel mixed feeliings towards turkey today when they see them begging for entering the EU and claiming they are europeans

can you post some more algerian qts

The last century is not the best time for turkey.

Why are your girls so beautiful ?
Also, their hips are fucking A++++.

Why are Algeria and Tunisia named for Algiers and Tunis respectively, but Morocco and Libya have their own unique names?

The name of Morocco ultimately comes from Marrakesh. In a lot of languages there's not even distinction. Others call it names that come from Fes.

Libya is a name given by the italians and italian libya is just a fancy way to say "italian africa". Before that it was Tripolitania for the city of Tripoli.

Is Algeria very different from western culture? I'm really thinking about moving to Algeria, because i'm tired of living in a capitalist society.
Are there still tuareg in Algeria?
Do men in Algeria wear the thawb?

Not OP, but Libya is just the name from old roman times of all africa that is not Carthage or Egypt (so the irrelevant parts).
The modern nation was also formed by the Italians in the 19th century of the two historically always different parts Tripolitania and Cyrenaica, with Tripolitania named after Tripolis obviously (so all the large north african pirate cities got to name their own region)

Why did Vercingetorix lose to Caesar?

all the mowen are beautiful, it's just that some women dont make the effort to make themselves beautiful

>Why are Algeria and Tunisia named for Algiers and Tunis respectively, but Morocco and Libya have their own unique names?
Algeria and Tunisia were named after their capital when the corsair Khair al-Din took those cities for the ottman empire. Turkish rule was welcome in Tunis and Algiers for it was countering the spanish threat on that area. Under Khair ad Din’s regency, Algiers became the center of Ottoman authority in the Maghrib.

Morocco on the other hand countered the ottoman influence by allying with the spanish who were seeing the growth of the ottoman empire as a thread, and would rather have a small morrocan kingdom than the ottoman at their boarders. The new dynasty that rule the area was arab, replacing a berber dynasty during that period, and called the region morocco which litteraly means "the west".

For lybia, after that spain conquered the area in the 16th century, the ottomans took it back to ensure their land continuity with tunisia and algeria. Although the region was called tripolitania by the ottomans , the italians called it libya reviving the historical name for Northwest Africa, from the ancient Greek

>Is Algeria very different from western culture?
the generation who lived in the cities after the independance was westernized. Yet they have all left the country after the disaster of the FLN rule and terrorism in the 90's. Now algeria is a random arab country that want to be ruled by Islam.
> I'm really thinking about moving to Algeria, because i'm tired of living in a capitalist society.
Algeria is capitalist since the 200's, you'should rather move to north Korea
>Are there still tuareg in Algeria?
yes, in the south,
>Do men in Algeria wear the thawb?
yes some do, we call it jellaba, but mainly european clothes, just like tunisia and morroco

>Why did Vercingetorix lose to Caesar?
because the gaul was a meme and the celts were barbarians

How were the Algerians and Lybians treated under Carthaginian rule?

The carthagenians are originaly pheonicians, but soon became punic which is a mix between phoenicians and amazigh, (or garamantes, or berber, libyans, numids, getules...) call them as you want
Libya has been inhabited by Berbers since the late Bronze Age. The Phoenicians established trading posts in western Libya in 1200 BC except Cyrene who remained greek. in the 5th century, carthage started ton invade inland instead of remaning in the caost.
SO all the caostal cities in algeria, tunisia and libya were quite assimilated because these cities were created and colonized by phoenicians and later berber immigrants came to live there and mixed with the phoenicians.
The berber were not sailors but horse riders. so the inland remained amazigh. The amazigh lords were vassals of the carthagenians and often married carthagenian princesses (salaambo) for this was the way carthagenians at that time assimilated populations in their empire.
Despite many revolts, it is that mixed population that made the carthagenian empire.

Why are north Africans such cunts?
I'm waiting for one of them to chimp out near me.

Cool. So it's decided. I'm going to live with the tuareg.

the tuareg allied alqaeda to invade tombouctou last year. They have been stoning women and cutting hands as per pic rel
I hope this is not too shocking for the audience. If so please accept my apologies.

owned xD

Why do Algerians hate France, yet still emigrate there?
Or is it just 2nd generation immigrants in France?

>Why do Algerians hate France, yet still emigrate there?
Woud you call that hate in this video ?

skip directly to second 20
youtube.com/watch?v=TV4mmU9b7i8

>Or is it just 2nd generation immigrants in France?
It is the french who hate us too you know

That's western bullshit. Tuaregs are nice nomads that wander through the desert.

they used to be :(

There are slightly glamorous/romantic connotations with coastal Maghreb towns during the early and mid-20th century, mainly in Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia . They were seen as cosmopolitan, seductive resorts for Europe's jet-set, the artists, the intelligentsia/bohemians etc. Is this reflected at all in Maghrebi culture of the era or were the locals just part of the decor? How is this era remembered if at all?

severe oppression

i'm interested in this too

That kinda spoils it for me. I would have loved to experience that time/place.

you wouldn't really

there is a reason shining shoes on the street is banned in algiers

>Is this reflected at all in Maghrebi culture of the era or were the locals just part of the decor? How is this era remembered if at all?
you are absolutely right, you can see that in the movie "casablanca"
that cast was unfortunatley not in contact at all with the local population
Algerians at that time were under the "code de l'indigenat' which is a sort of second class citizen code of law. Less harsh than appartheid, but still brutal.
So it unfortunately did not affect the algerian culture at all except for giving the maids and the servants a cheap job.
That is the reason why the independance war started

>there is a reason shining shoes on the street is banned in algiers
this

That's quite short-sighted and stupid on the part of the French. What the Algerian middle and upper classes did they participate in this culture? I'm thinking of the equivalent classes of Indians in British-India, who seemed more part of the "Raj culture".

yeah, the nomadic lifestyle is largely dead or dying in most parts of the tuareg region. while the traditions remained mostly intact during colonial times, upon independence the tuareg were faced with borders of 4 different nation states cutting across their territory and those states were all controlled by other ethnic groups except maybe niger to some extent where tuareg share power with hausa. in libya and algeria arab nationalists took over and more dramatically in mali the songhay and related sedentary groups led the government. those sedentary peoples were traditionally ruled over and enslaved by the tuareg but after independence they had the institutions of a modern state and modern weaponry on their side. they forced tuareg to settle and killed their herds - the base of their economy - with machine guns. ever since then there has only been conflict. in libya gaddafi instrumentalized the tuareg as a special force for his army which played a big role in their (armed) exodus to mali after gaddafi's overthrow where they started the uprising against the government of the sedentary ethnic groups that destroyed their way of life during previous rebellions and conflicts. tuareg are traditionally not particularly orthodox muslims but they allied with arab jihadists for that war and their basically secular independence movement was then highjacked and sidelined by al-qaeda and now they're back to their shit existence of before. more conflicts are bound to happen there in the future

>I'm thinking of the equivalent classes of Indians in British-India, who seemed more part of the "Raj culture".
the french and english policy in their colonies started to be very different since the XIX century.
When the english used and educated a local elite in hong kong, singapoor, india .. in order to control their too vast empire, the french on the other hand crused the local middle class and elite.
During the colonization of algeria, all the fertile lands were stolen from the arabs and given to the french.Rich families were reuined or killed. Algerians could only keep some small shops in the cities and unfertile lands in the country.
When France left algeria, the literacy rate as lower than in 1830 when France invaded, they left a country of 90% illiterates !
You can see the difference between england france in their own homeland too. While England tolerated scotland and wales to have their own dialect, france crushed all the local dialects and cultures like the bretons, the bascs elsass...

>tuareg are traditionally not particularly orthodox muslims but they allied with arab jihadists for that war and their basically secular independence movement was then highjacked and sidelined by al-qaeda and now they're back to their shit existence of before. more conflicts are bound to happen there in the future
this

an interesting trend you can see when driving by the algerian coast is that by the coast are all the new houses and up on the mountains are the old houses

this is has to do with
>Algerians could only keep some small shops in the cities and unfertile lands in the country.
because the french forced the algerians up to the mountain where not much could be grown

Yeah I've been told that French colonisers tended to care more about making a quick buck and fucking off back home, whereas Brits were more into "nation-building" and settling there.

>quick buck and fucking off back home,
believe me they did not want to leave
They were just seeing themselves as a superior race crushing subhumans

> Algerians
> Caucasians
> Choose one

Do you actually know what it means ? Berbers might have some Caucasian blood (Due to mixing with different Mediterranean civilizations), but we are mostly Hamites.

go back to pol

But I'm a Berber...

>>this is where they all want to emigrate
I think that they know more and more that life in france is miserable

even blacks take beurettes and the berbers cannot stand it

I bet people in the bled know how degenerate women are in france

C'est vrai que tout commença par une mouche ?

we know

pic related come to algeria every summer

Hamites are Caucasian. The Hamitic people of North and Horn Africa are regarded as being caucasoid.

So I guess I'm Caucasoid then

nobody is perfect
also go back to pol

So I recall one tunisian user in a muh heritage thread on /int/ having a good chunk of ancestry from France. How common is this in the mahgreb, from colonization and all that?

north africa had a tremendous race mixing.

very very uncommon in Algeria

more common now that someone has a foreign mother that their father met when abroad.

bump

>more common now that someone has a foreign mother that their father met when abroad.
this