/agdg/ - amateur game dev general

No bully edition.

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early.
If you want to collab read this pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

> Waifu Jam finished, go play some games!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

Previous thread: >New /agdg/ Website (Still in beta)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

bth.se/ingenjorsutbildningar/civilingenjor-i-spel-och-programvaruteknik/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>CS+Gamedev masters degree

There's your problem then mate, if you go for a shitty degree of-course you're gonna be taught shitty habits. The university I went to (LIU) did honestly start with telling us that we shouldn't abuse patterns our structures they taught us everywhere, they have their place and time and a huge part of being a good programmer is knowing where that line is drawn. Can even remember a specific assignment i got "komplettering" (essentially you have to redo it) because I had implemented an command pattern which for the scope of the assignment was retarded.

Second for webdev discussion
>If you set up different small pages and sub forums, the already small /agdg/ community will be more devided. I love it here, since I can easily scroll trough everything.
Well you don't need to separate it like that.
What you can do is have posts be tagged. So for instance we'd have a single general where you post. But you can then add tags for each posts and the game post replies are also tagged with the game tag.

This would give you a neat collection of progress posts for a specific game. If there's posting ability in the gamespecific pages they can just be posted as normal general posts replying to the old progress posts for the game.

Why are you always so negative about developing something cool? It's like there's no drive to make something new here in /agdg/ aside from webdev user. There's literally people who think tripcodes would suffice as a collaboration/job board/request method.

3rd for anime

peter planix

Working on billboard textures. All that's left is to make them rotate around their center.

jjoyce jjoycemenn

For yesdevs who aren't making freeware:

How would you feel if your game was super popular, but most people get your game from pirating or getting refunds after 1hr 50 minutes of playtime?

Post game ideas for space jam!

pete clayemore

this is such a comfy desktop background.
Thanks agdg.

What pic is that?

eric klaustmenhaufferstietermenne

If you're looking at your wallpaper instead of devving you should kill yourself.

The page system is now mostly coded. Just a little further and I'll finally be able to get this thing back into gameplay again. Decided I'd redo the intro while I was at it to make it more character class specific. So far, it's not as efficient as the old system was - but it's a lot more flexible and pleasant to look at.

mathew cornhollow

Progress:

Game now has a web server that allows remote control of the game screen

If I put a password on it it will be useful for running a dedi server or st

doing both actually :3c

Not particularly well, but it's something

Perfectly happy.
I'd still be getting paid quite a solid sum, and I'd have made a name for myself.
I'd also be pretty convinced that anyone who only plays for 1:50min and then refunds it wasn't really that interested in my game.

frank mongol

>devving on linux
not going to make it
at least you don't have worst oreimo as Veeky Forums mascot

>java

>windows cuck trying to school literally ANYONE

I'm planning a top down shooter where you can choose to either fight the bad guys, hunt for minerals and treasures or become a space pirate.

Oh right how could I forget all the great games developed on linux like, huh, uh, huhhhh

>he doesn't know the wonders of devving on linux
your loss desu

Try IntelliJ and Kotlin some time.

how's being microsoft's bitch working for you?

if a game is super popular like that, then chances are the dev is still making decent money from legal purchases
unless his game is a ridiculous price

>OS used during devving determines how good the game is
Love this meme.

How's your game coming along? Oh wait.

>sister
Are you the nun dev?

great, why are you asking?

What's the easiest way to generate a unique number-only ID that I can use for my entities?

Vad gick du då?
>There's your progblem mate
No It's a fucking shitty degree. You're being absolutely retarded if you assume that Civilingenör i spel och programmvaruutveckling var en dålig examen att ta. Problemet var inte att de inte var emot programmspråk/programming principle religiositet. Problemet var att de introducerade ett OOP för tidigt för dessa jävla knuttarna att fatta vad ett program är och gör. Hur fan kan du ens säga att Universitet lär en bättre än att vara självlärd när varenda kotte vet att de öppet uppmuntrar all typ av skit när det gäller programmeringsprinciper.

Jo. Såklart ifall du är en jävla idiot (vilket du verkar vara) så får du komplettera din skit kod. Vi programmerade med minnes och profilerings restriktioner som gjorde att det inte skulle vara rimligt att utnyttja OOP för mycket (virtuella metoder skulle sätta dig långt under målet ifall du inte krånglar så jävligt mycket). Men tro fan att ifall mitt universitet gjorde så, när de är (definitivt) mer prestandafokuserade än vafan man nu lär sig på en ren-datorvetenskapsutbildning att universitet i allmänhet skulle kunna lära folk programmering på ett bra sätt? Helt orimligt.

Nej jag är för arg för att skriva detta. Du är en idiot som fan tror att du kan säga skit om CS+Gamedevelopment. Jag vetefan vad du gick men du kan nog inte tolka det som normen. Och ifall din föreläsare råkade vara bra så ska du inte anta att det gäller universellt. Jag har fan lärt om en stor drös med elever på LTH som gick deras C++ kurs. De vetefan va de höll på med. Och ifall inte LTH har en rimlig standard för att skriva bra kod så tro fan att du kan komma här och snacka om hur bra universitet är. Det är ytterst onormalt att de faktiskt undviker principer väl nog.
>command pattern
Att du använder det ordet är mycket oroande. Låter ju som om du erkänner att du skriver skitdålig kod bara i din lilla brevning. Att du inte sa "deferred X" är ytterst oroande.

>tfw I keep fixing the missing pixels on the bottom left but them always come back to haunt me

No reason. But really, is there any particular reason why you're devving on linux? I don't get it.

yeah. I've accomplished basically nothing in the last 2 months trying to get a better job.

>pass phone interview, technical skills test, and first formal interview
>train wreck of a second formal interview

Now I'm returning to being a hopeless degenerate, and doing game dev because I can't afford vidya games.

>wonders of devving on linux
Elaborate
I've tried devving on Linux and I don't see the charm at all.
If you can't build a project on windows just as well you should just kill yourself/quit devving and apply for retard-bux

Don't forget the extra pixel above it.

EntityID++

Use a int counter and simply increment for each new entity
Keep track of dead entity ID's so you can reuse them later to prevent overflows

Back to /int/ m80. The only areas of Veeky Forums where non-English is allowed: /int/, /jp/, and perhaps one other I can't think of.

Yes.

I do not like paying a scumbag company for a product I consider inferior, and my computer runs and has been running a GNU/Linux-based operating system for years. There's no reason why I would install Microsoft's abortion of a system on my machine, especially after hearing about their recent abuse of their own customers.

So literally no reason except "muh freedumb"
ok

While linux is generally a better programming environment, windows generally has better art and music tools.

I like to use linux because it's comfy as hell. I can use krita and aseprite for art, and I'm completely useless and will have to trade blowjobs for music, or use CC music. So linux works out for me.

windoze babies who have never ventured out of their safe spaces will never understand how easy it is to dev and learn to dev on linux.

I installed linux when I was 16, because I could not afford a compiler for windows and I wanted to program so much. I have never looked back.

I think if i started talking about posting and threads and boards on the site then it would kick off a distrustful shitstorm so I'm definitely staying far away from that.

Unless Veeky Forums goes down for good for some reason.

So tell me, do you like being exploited, treated like an idiot, taken advantage of and having your data stolen and sold? Is this some kind of a Stockholm syndrome you have with microsoft?

It's worth it.

They're talking about it as if it was some kind of disadvantage instead of a huge boon. There's no better way to develop software than to do it on Linux.

>unique
Are they supposed to be reusable? That's harder.
Otherwise just assign an ever increasing integer to the entity. Sure, you can't have more than INT_MAX entities spawn in the game if you rely on the characteristics of that unique ID but if you avoid that and just let it overflow that's fine. Not that I think you will have a player reach INT_MAX during a playsession of your game (because you asked this question, no offense).
Yeah whatever. Fuck that guy though.
>While linux is generally a better programming environment
Ok, ELABORATE.
>linux works for me
Sure. It works. I'm not saying 'you must switch to windows and pay unessesarily' I'm just saying I don't see the charm. Linux has its fair share of shit as an OS and the 'benefits' of having automake doesn't really cut it. You can get cmake on windows.

It's true that because of the way linux has its standard places for .lib or whatever it's all neatly organized automatically. But it's such an incredibly minor convenience becuase you're gonna want to keep your project self-contained anyhow if you're developing with other people (teams, you generally keep your headers and libs in a project directory for ease of moving). So it's not really a point for Linux, its pretty moot.
Hiroshimoot is such a bad admin the site goes down regularly just after 11am and he doesn't even warn us. If that keeps going I'd very much enjoy an option.

Calm down mate, stop projecting, I presume you haven't been able to find proper work with that degree? But sure let me sink to your level of argument.

>I have a masters degree! That means I'm a civil engineer!
The fact that you don't understand the difference between högskoleingenjör and civilingenjör worries me.

>I weren't smart enough for a proper CS degree so I went for a meme degree instead!
The fact that you don't understand the difference between true CS and a shitty game-making degree that accepts anyone who essentially finished high-school worries me.

>I'm not smart enough to know that not everyone talks in technical terms all the time online!
The fact that you had a hard time understanding what I meant by command pattern worries me.

Personally I'm a real civic engineer in computer science seeing that I have a brain between my ears. Bet you went to some small university yes?

>getting refunds after 1hr 50 minutes of playtime
Players won't be able to finish my game in that amount of time, so if anyone is still playing after that point, it means they're having fun or they got caught in my skinner box. Paying customers aren't pirates so I'm just going to focus on keeping them happy/occupied.

>package managers
>terminal and cli program ecosystem is not an unusable hot mess
>customize the fuck out of the system, e.g. hotkeys for basic stuff like keyboard layouts

Jäklar vilken pinne i röven du verkar ha då, genuint nyfiken med vad för jobb man kan få efter en sån utbildning. Så vad jobbar du med nu och hur är de fine med att jobba med någon med en som blir såhär arg på nätet? Du lär vara genuint läskig IRL sålänge du inte är kort vilket känns alltmer troligt

The fact that you don't know that this is an ENGLISH board worries me son, maybe you should go and cry somewhere else ey?

Please everyone just because this Swede is retarded doesn't mean all of us are.

Don't worry, my svéd friend.

Ok user. Is Veeky Forums ever goes down I'll pay for the hosting costs to keep a gamedev general board running on the site.

Nice work.

how do i get that cute waifu

>genuint nyfiken med vad för jobb man kan få efter en sån utbildning
Most jobs where you're supposed to know C++ or C and they give a shit about performance. Unlike this other guy who writes programs for the computer ether and has absolutely no demands on how well shit runs or how maintainable it is. All he has to do is write some garbage that that completes before ragnarök and produces the right result. Thus he can consider things like "command pattern" rather than deferred rendering or whatever he was doing (likely not rendering, hopefully not anything with any data-load).
>What do those who work with you think of you?
Always hard to know obviously. But I don't get mad at people for arbitrary reason. But when some retard pretends tha univeristy is the best source of knowledge in the universe and that self-taught people are problematic (while he himself show himself to be a lesser programmer). I get a little upset because my experience tells me it's more of the opposite. But sure, there's some selection bias. People who are self-taught make it or don't. None of the 'I did CS but suck at it' limbo.
>what do you work with
Currently working programming the DPS at a company that develops control systems for rökgasrening. Elfilter (interesting stuff).
But I'm a consultant.
>it's not gamedev
It pays (very very very) well. I do enjoy gamedev a lot, that's why it's a hobby.

use onee-chan and edit your available mascots.

Linux is great for deving

Fuck, didn't notice old thread was dead.
Reposting this.

Woaw okay stop tooting your own horn there mate.

He obviously mentioned the command pattern because if you actually studied CS you would know that there are times where there literately is no other way to go, or how would you do a system with operations you can later undo?

Not to mention that you claim to be a consultant(which means you are expendable as fuck), using c and c++ to program for low-end hardware applications? Whilst also claiming that c and c++ is quick? And thinking this is something to be proud of? Stop making up stories user, and stop getting triggered so easily it makes people notice the lies easier. But yeah uni is overrated but stop being an asshat about it just because you weren't smart enough for a real degree man

Reposting some progress

>Devving in Java
>On Linux
I was experimenting in Java for a few months, but could not test the "code it once, run anywhere" aspect. Is it true?

Will you share your wallpapers with us? The only /agdg/ related I have is the picture about the waifus from the recent jam, but the resolution is not monitor friendly.

>I use c and c++ to program hardware because its quick!

Okay user you sure know a ton about programming, c is the quickest shit out there amirite LOL?

>I get alittle upset
>He is a lesser programmer because he hurt my feelings!

What he didn't even show any programming other than talking about a well known pattern as an example? But sure show some of your great work! We'll be waiting. (unless you where lying that is)

>reading the tiny text
>read "Mr. Applechoad"
>die laughing

Isn't people from that degree basicly the least employed of all cs degrees?

>högskoleingenjör
Idiot: bth.se/ingenjorsutbildningar/civilingenjor-i-spel-och-programvaruteknik/ (ignore the ugly nerds)
I even gave you the name. So yeah, you're an idiot.
>real CS vs gamemaking degree
Yeah I know exactly what real CS is. And it's not about programming. If you took some codemonkey courses that's fine. But don't pretend your opinions matters on how universities are in general.
>projecting
You don't even know what that means. I'm angry with you for misleading people about what university is like and how 'proper' people are there. There's a large variety between universities and
>shitty game-making degree
We had two game-making projects. First one required us to not us more than basic OS interfacing libraries like GLFW/GLEW or SFML (their recommendation). The second project required us to implement everything from the ground up and you got scored on a lot of different factors. It was a rather cool thing. I'm rather disappointed by the projects they're showing on the program page.
It's obviously not bad but there's been a clear decrease in quality.

I really liked the structure of those projects. They're sort of what I imagine /agdg/ collabs would be like if you took it seriously and worked for a few months.

And I went off on a tangent there but the point was it was all real software development rather than gameprogramming (as in gameplay code).
>The fact that you had a hard time understanding what I meant by command pattern worries me
No I assumed you were using the word as it's meant to be used. Command patterns is a very specific thing. It's deferred whatever under a very specific OOP constraint. And sure, that's problematic. You had to redo it (thank god). But the problem wasn't that. The problem was that you considered it OK at all in the first place. It's a word you should avoid because it makes you look retarded.
He has opinions that I disagree with.
Go back to watching anime nodev.

For pirating if I release it on steam only then it shouldn't be a problem, since I trust the userbase. And by that I mean that the amount of pirates don't matter since Steam has enough of a legitimate consumer base to support a good game regardless of how much it gets pirated.

As for refunds, I highly doubt if a game is even passable enough that you will get more than 10% refunds, let alone a game that gives players a legitimately good reason to keep playing past the 2 hour mark.

You said you had a masters degree, thats not a civil-engineering degree in Sweden, don't blame him for you misleeding him.

Lol so you where just blowing smoke then? No game, lying and rageing in the thread. At least i'm just a nodev and not a lying nodev.

For yesdevs who are making free software:

How does it feel that you're spending all your time on a complicated hobby and you'll never be reimbursed for it?

>user gets called out for lying about work and knowing nothing about how hardware programming works
>user thinks that ignoring it won't make people notice

I'm also interested in seeing some of your work if its so great.

i remember something that was posted here that was java. when i downloaded it there was an exe launcher but also a jar alongside and surprisingly it worked

it depends on the framework and libs used tho

>bth.se/ingenjorsutbildningar/civilingenjor-i-spel-och-programvaruteknik/
>Blekinge universitet

I told you guys he probably went to a small UNI and he literally weren't even in the top 7 universities in Sweden. Explains alot I guess but just makes it pointless to attack since you having so poor scores you had to settle for such a shitty degree in such a shitty place that you can't even find work is just sad man. Are you actually jobless or do you have a real job?

>but could not test the "code it once, run anywhere" aspect. Is it true?

Short answer: yes
Long answer : Maybe

as long as you don't do anything platform specific in java it will run the same on windows, OSX, and linux.

Having that said there's small little improvements you can do for each platform where you might want a build for each. One example would be packaging the JAR file you get from a java program as an EXE with a nice icon for windows.

I don't really have any other agdg walls unfortunately.

I've read your post when it was new and I was wondering about an answer. If you look at major devs, there are two kinds of patches usually:
- Content patch: these usually contain new features or alterations.
- Hot fix: these contain fixes for game breaking bugs, exploitations, you name it. So basically anything which ruins or could ruin the gaming experience.

So it's up to you to decide this. If you want to add some new feature, but you know you'll add a few more some time later, maybe wait for it and have one huge patch instead of releasing many smaller ones. However if you find something crucial, then fix it and put it out as soon as you can.

A nice new thing might make your players happy, but an annoying bug might make the whole experience unpleasant, which is not what you want, I suppose.

>Blekinge universitet
>Vettig utbildning

Pick one son. Genuinely impressed you trolled that dude so long.

>how would you do a system with operations you can later undo?
You can work fine in a deferred system, undoing shit is a piece of cake. But command patterns is a very specific concept which sucks ass and demonstrates clearly how he's bragging when he has nothing to back it up.
>c is the quickest shit
Ok user you don't have to pretend to be multiple people. It doesn't exactly make you look any better to lose on all your pretend fronts.
But yeah. There's very few good options and right now any industry which gives a shit about performance does C/C++. There's a few embedded Java people, but I dunno. I avoid that. I can't imagine it works well.

Sure I'd gladly work in D or lots of other languages if it were plausible. But there's nobody who'd pay me as a D dev. There's just no way.
Well I don't know how I'm gonna release it but the piracy problem doesn't seem like a problem when the game is really popular. It'd be a problem if I couldn't really make games becuase of it.
>masters of science in engineering
Quite literally what the translation is. I guess maybe it's misleading? But given we're both in Sweden it should be pretty clear. I also told him the exact name of my education. And civil-engineering is in the name. So maybe be less lenient.
Lot of posts. I write long replies. Note how I'm always at 2k chars pretty much.

I mean really now. The intelligent content in your posts are far below the effort i put into the responses.
His post is literally a meme. I'm not gonna prioritize it.
Except it's the university which the goverment decided to fund extra much because it's a really good IT university. user you really know jack shit about our universities do you? It's not like they're all that different. They have their specialties. I'm pretty sure nobody would go to LIU if they actually cared about computers.

>hobby
>reimbursed for it
user do you know what a hobby is?

For enjoyment.

The only enjoyable part of game dev is seeing the end product come together.

>code it once, run anywhere
More like "write once run nowhere". Depending on your goals. It's obviously true that you're not gonna find a JVM that doesn't run your java code.

Does every computer have a JVM installed? No not really. Probably more people do now because of minecraft though.
>all this defensive posting
Yeah sure if you pretend to be multiple people you will have a stronger argument.
He didn't even go to Chalmers. I put Chalmers as my second and could have gone there but didn't (and thank god for that looking at their curriculum with more knowledge behind my eyes). Like, what the hell do you people think University studies here are anyway? Nobody serious gives a shit about what university you went to it's all about what you got to show for it.

This guy literally made a command pattern and pretends he's somehow someone you should listen to. That's just stupid.

>user getting trolled this hard by a guy samefagging

Whoever is samefagging this guy to rage so hard is only slightly less pathetic than the guy getting trolled, you can stop now. We all now that he hasn't actually programmed any fast embedded shit since he hasn't even mentioned LDDR's or any kind of PLG's, openly being proud of knowing about the D language as if it fast. You can quit now. We all know gamedev is a useless baby degree and that user got mad because you called him out. Please stop shitting down our thread.

Exactly. So what does it matter if you make it free or paid?

This has to be some next level shitposting with a guy pretending to be not only one, but two retarded people. Kinda impressed.

If you want a more specific answer, then I say release it now. The controls were very annoying, and I could not name any other thing from your game which bothered me, so that's something I would release as fast as I can.

Other than this, on Itch.io, you just get a message on your feed that a given dev has updated his game. It's not like Steam or Battle.net where it doesn't even let you play the thing until you update it, and you have to manually set when and how you want to update things. What I want to say is that you will annoy no one if you update your game frequently.

I've also asked it many times without an answer: do you have a high res version of the opening screen and about the screen which appears before and after each level? Those are some nice artworks, and I would like to have them as wallpapers.

If you -can- get paid, you may as well get paid, because >0 is better than 0.

That money can be reinvested in better dev tools (licenses, programs, even hiring people who are better than you at a certain area, like art) that allow you to gamedev better.

So far my strategy is making the game free until it gests slightly popular, then make a paid version with new content, and also a paid release on android and maybe ios. Still really cheap, so anyone can pay for it.
If it gets popular enought I could make a small kickstarter to have an slightier expensive physical release, people could get interested on having limited stuff like artwork and stuff like that with it. Worked for Kira kira star night.
I know I'm never becoming a millionaire, but maybe I could make a really small profit out of it.

Really good point there, thanks for your answer.
Guess I should release a small 'Hot fix patch' then, since the fixes I made are mostly for polishing the gameplay, and people will have a better experience with them, and later I could make another bigger update adding all the content I have in mind.

>I'm gonna continue hating on this one thing he said.

Just let it go dude he is just a troll who can't post source anymore.

I'm curious about the D language, never heard about it before. Is it even quicker than LADDER or?

>Implying I don't like to talk shit
Well user. I have to say you're wrong. There's a lot of frustration involved with working with these people (me being a performance consultant, they being systems engineers that'd rather write everything in mathlab). It feels kinda good to be mad at someone for justifiable reasons.
>We all know gamedev is a useless baby degree and that user got mad because you called him out.
Gamedev is a fine degree if you go to the right place and look at them thoroughly. Sure, when you say 'i went gamedev' that's just dumb. But I qualified it. By saying CS+Gamedev. I get the idea that maybe if you don't give a shit to look into that stuff a 'gamedev' education is just crap. There's tons of "learn unity" educations available. But I told the guy directly we write performance oriented code.
I don't think it was the best education imaginable, I don't think anyone worth their weight in salt can say that about any education they've taken. But it was pretty good. And actually being allowed to care about how programs run feels good. I don't think I could get that anywhere else. This guy certainly didn't get it.
>retarded people
No u.

>So far my strategy is making the game free until it gests slightly popular, then make a paid version with new content, and also a paid release on android and maybe ios. Still really cheap, so anyone can pay for it.

That's how Spelunky and Cave Story did it, so you might be onto something

...or you need to make your game underground. There are too many shared variables here to use the scientific method.

Just make it in a cave, just in case.

Reminder to post with trip #rocket to collab on winning Space Jam

>91 posts
>4 progress posts
WEW LADS

>Reminder to post with trip #rocket to collab on winning Space Jam

that's what they told the astronauts on the Challenger, and see what happened to them

Now it's 93, good job

Progress. Now the head...