/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

The Last Thread Was On Page 9 When I Decided It Was Time To Make A New Fucking Thread Edition

post progress edition

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early.
If you want to collab read this pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Game of the Year 1994

Lewd

Can somebody tell me how to put a background image and banner on an itch.io jam page?

So what's the agdg friends soundcloud?

Anyway, how's this for now? Anything I should fix?

is that your game?

wouldn't be surprised if you're cut

How do I enter demo day desu?

Go to jam page while being the creator and at the top there is a button to customize the looks of the page

Of course.

Got it, thanks. I'll deliver soon.

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE BULLY ME? STOP! it's giving me a boner

who wants to help me build an engine for a new adventure game

wifu bartending is done, but i'm tired of game maker.

Should I make a game in Elm

can it be in C?

Should be alright as long as it's cross-platform I think.

How's it now?

What kind of adventure game? Zelda-like? Or a side scroller? A turn based RPG? A First Person View like Daggerfall or Arena?

you tell me

fucking ragdoll why won't it work reeeeeeee

Now *this* is /agdg/

it's a feature

adventure as in something policenauts or clock tower.

0/10 wheres the hoops?

All these E3 games are making mine look like garbage.

So is it good or bad?

Where's Michael Jordan?

>Top 10 Anime Battles

So if you're using the motion planning stuff (mp_grid) in gm, how do you handle other things that move and should block things? mp_linear_step works, but it defeats the purpose of making a grid. Do you plot a path using the mp_grid then reevaluate occasionally or what?

This has to be a common problem. Can someone point me to a resource on the matter? Picture for attention.

Fixed.

what. went. wroooooong
why did it come to this

All the E3 game look like garbage.
That means if you work hard, you could be in the E3!

i am going to submit this to reddit's /r/me_irl and get lots of upvotes

needs more lola

>tfw every new game that comes out makes your game look increasingly outdated
>tfw remastered Crash will make your game look like the PS1 title in comparison

It's fine.

heh

you have to think years ahead so that you have years to catch up with your imagination

that's what the AAA's are doing, that's what they're doing right now, remember they're drawing up design docs and doing prototyping for games that will release in 2020 right now

now imagine what e3 2020 will make your game look like

now rethink your approach to making games

It's a bit late for that, most of the artwork is done

It only makes me want to try harder!
Did you see the sea in 'Sea of Thieves'? Amazing!
I want that so I'm gonna learn shit.

I've never worked with it. Wouldn't the moving block object just clear its old cell, add its new cell and then you recalculate the path?

>that guy who reinvents the wheel instead of importing a framework with the stuff he needs

Unity:

I can access an array from another script with GameObject.Find and it works, but if i declare a variable for a GameObject containing the script with the array, and then use it to access it, it doesn't work(but works for a non-array int, for example).

Why?

Nah, when you create the grid it blocks all the pertinent cells off. If they move after, the grid doesn't care. It would only recalculate blocker cells if you refreshed the grid, which is expensive.

How else are you gonna achieve that quirky indie game look if your wheels aren't square

Beautiful.

>that guy who thinks using a framework makes it easier

have fun tracking down 8 year old bugs in a massive codebase that was designed to be a black box

Well, sometimes when that guy asks how to do what they want within the given framework, or which framework to import, everyone ignores them and just shitposts about engines and how much work to put into things.

have fun spending 8 years creating your own framework and then tracking down 8 year old bugs

>implying custom code needs to be nearly as reusable or general purpose

Like I said, I don't really know. I'm just looking at mp_grid_clear_cell().
I don't really understand how you'd change the layout of the grid without having to update it.

Ah, well, I appreciate the reply.

>"I'm gonna have a demo ready for next demo day!"
>computer crashes
fml

that is 2010s furbait, not 1990s furbait
get it right

I approve senpai

So that's what you guys ate making next?
I still can't believe bartending is out soon.

we're making a game which is somewhere between simtower and startopia, with mining like dungeon keeper but side-on instead of isometric

we're having trouble coming up with a name though! what name would you give it?

Looks better this way.

What do you do when burn out hits you in the middle of a project? I don't want to miss Demo Day.

YOU JUST DO IT

fallout shelter

Anyone know how many frames typical animations were in the PS1 era? I have a 120 frame walk cycle, but it looks too smooth.

Go to sleep, play a game you really love in the genre you're working on, take vitamins, go get some sun.

How does this look? It's supposed to be grass and ground.

Please destroy it.

post it

It's not bad, but you definitely need to make transition tiles between ground and grass.

You build discipline from the start (or the closest time to now), and then you don't burn out.

Discipline is a knowledge issue, not a willpower issue.

If you absolutely had to have only one repeating tile for each grass and dirt then it's pretty good.

Yeah, the only annoying thing is dealing with GMS, so we want to make an engine to make adv games faster. Except we're too scrubs to attempt at developing one.

I'd say discipline is also an inertial thing. You keep building patterns and habits and they become easier to maintain

Indeed.

Thanks, anons!

Thanks. I'll add borders in the future.

I'm not convinced though, the ground looks more like stone and not much like dirt. I'll probably swap the colors.

Yeah, especially when you put it in a cross like that to look like roads. Is it supposed to be used for roads?

Is it true this was once an /agdg/ game?

Yes, but not paved roads.

Yeah.

Yeah, he was here for a bit.
Got a publisher then fucked off.
I hear he hasn't even finished the game yet though.

Life Below

How do you write a story about revenge and not make it edgy?

The array isn't public?

by realizing that revenge is edgy

Fallout helter

He's literally posting here right now.

halfway through the mc realizes revenge is for betas who let other people have emotional power over them

the other half is him doing something else entirely

By making the act that needs to be avenged so horrible and evil that the player himself wants to take vengeance, rather than role playing as a game character who wants revenge

Write a story about petty revenge.

You play as a dude who was driving to work, and then gets cut off by another driver. All you have is their number plate: PWD 413.

You have to hunt them down and then mildly inconvenience them.

Actual spoiler below.
Dishonored was great thou because being edgy specifically made the world and the few friends you had in the game start to hate you, with Samuel betraying you in the end if you killed for no reason

By not being edgy?
No "I can't wait to kill that fucking faggot" speeches.
No Columbine power fantasies for 13 year olds.
Just a story about revenge m8.

>Got a publisher then fucked off.
People around here flip out if you start to become a normy dev and then try to post so it only makes sense he would.

By making it end with a life lesson where the MC realizes the futility of revenge and then forgives the other guy and then they hug and shed tears.

yeah that's the whole point, the tagline is ironic, because revenge accomplishes literally fucking nothing except make everyone hate you

>Dishonored was great
>biased to passive
>give you all the fun powers and tools

Not to mention the game was just unbearably boring. The only thing I haven't finished yet.
D2 looks alright though, and they actually give you the option to play more pure-stealth without powers and gadgets and shit.

>By making it end with a life lesson where the MC realizes the futility of revenge and then forgives the other guy and then they hug and shed tears.
Ugh.

the character has some distance to the actual act of revenge.

for example, he needs to kill person X for something. but he goes through a phase of not coming to see it with clarity, until another event forces it upon him.

So you guys need a programmer?

It's what was asked for. Having Cartoon Network visuals would help too.

>Not to mention the game was just unbearably boring

This is why you will never make a good game. What you meant to say was that YOU didn't find it fun.

I'm sorry about your mental condition

Not really, it's only the nodev autists that freak out when shekels are mentioned.
Yeah that's pretty much implied you dumb faggot.
Why don't you try to argue that then.

You play as a male and female hero team. You've got a close bond and always watch each other's back.

One day the villain walks up and murders one of you. The rest of the game you play as the other one seeking revenge while suffering.

Oh wait, you wanted non-edgy, nevermind.