Sorry Veeky Forums, I'm not a regular on this board so I hope this isn't too shit of a question...

Sorry Veeky Forums, I'm not a regular on this board so I hope this isn't too shit of a question. But is this book a good source for the history of Christ/Christianity? Is Reza Aslan a respected scholar, or just a meme? If the latter, can you recommend some works on the history of Christ/Christianity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/E9RmAo6XVAA?t=173
biblicalarchaeology.org/free-ebooks/who-was-jesus-exploring-the-history-of-jesus-life/
amazon.com/Did-Jesus-Exist-Historical-Argument/dp/0062206443
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's pop history written by a Muslim trying to defend Mohammed by saying Christ was a bloodthirsty warmonger.

The history of Christ is heavily, *HEAVILY* speculative. You cannot read an "objective" account, you can only read ones arguing from different sides. If you want the side saying Christ wasn't God, your best source is Bart Ehrman. If you want the source saying Christ is God, try William Lane Craig (his work on the historicity of Christ is actually very scholarly, even if his popular work is awful).

Don't read those kinds of books if you want history. They're not history books.

Aslan is a liar dude, and teaches creative writing. Like, not joking. He's not just a meme, he's an actual shit person. youtu.be/E9RmAo6XVAA?t=173

Thanks for these sources. The video is some really good investigative journalism. Still open to more recs in these general areas

Shouldn't you just read the new testament? Or attempt to translate the earliest texts?

>ask
>get answeres
>get sarcastic

Why you like this?

Not being sarcastic

Why would you read a history book written by someone who isn't a historian

You wouldn't read a book on quantum physics written by an architect

I agree with this user. Ehrman seems to think his mission is proving Jesus didn't exist.

I have a subscription to Biblical Archaeology Review and for the life of me, I can't think of any worthwhile historical Jesus books.

After watching that video I see his credentials aren't what he has represented them to be

I'm retarded.

Try here, OP:

biblicalarchaeology.org/free-ebooks/who-was-jesus-exploring-the-history-of-jesus-life/

That vid is 25 mins long, you answered within 6 mins. Seriously, why ask if thats how you react to replies? Don't like it, don't watch it. You think you're gonna get better sources/vids on this idiot? Good for you.

I'm still watching it. I wasn't being sarcastic, it was just good from what I'd already seen

..ok. Shit, now I've been rude for no reason.
But yeah, don't trust aslan, or anyone who suggests aslan.

Wew lad who pissed on your cereals?

You, and
you, comment on RIchard Carrier.
Not him being weird or an asshole, or how many peopel disagree, but what he actually does wrong in his method, or what mistakes he makes. Is his work at all plausible?

catholics here, its alright. its distinguish the the historical Jesus from the Christ from the writings of Paul. The historical Jesus is the one who was born in Nazareth, not Bethlehem, who had sisters and brothers, one of whom was the most important leader within the Jesus movement in Jerusalem after Jesus died. The historical Jesus was a Jew speaking to Jews his entire life with a mission to reform the toxic relationship between the ruling Romans and the high priests of the Jewish temple. This Jesus was tortured and killed because he represented a threat, not only to the Romans, but also to the high priests who profited so well from doing the Romans’ bidding. read it if you want another perspective on jesus.

When he is attacking the Gospels by applying rigorous questions to their validity as historical, he's competent, but when he is reaching his own conclusions and alternative theories, his methodology is more questionable.

So i'm not insane if I think he made some seriously compelling points? Sweet, thanks.

>Ehrman seems to think his mission is proving Jesus didn't exist.

He literally wrote a book in which he explains why Jesus existed.

amazon.com/Did-Jesus-Exist-Historical-Argument/dp/0062206443

Ehrman in most cases represents the academic consensus. Which is that Jesus was an apocalyptic preacher who expected the kingdom of God to come soon. He never claimed to be the Son of God let alone one of the persons in the triune God.

> If you want the side saying Christ wasn't God, your best source is Bart Ehrman. If you want the source saying Christ is God, try William Lane Craig
I.e. if you want history, you should read Ehrman. WLC isn't even professional historian, he's philosopher and theologian.
> Ehrman seems to think his mission is proving Jesus didn't exist.
So, you haven't read a single book by him?

>Reza Aslan
>Turkish name
>Certainly muslim

No need to argue to prove how wrong his "biography" is.

>Is Reza Aslan a respected scholar

HAHAHAHAHAHA

My history professor at Valencia College in Orlando used this book in her class that was supposed to be a general overview of ancient European history.