Can your parents file with your income as their income?

Can your parents file with your income as their income?

Sort of like a joint Parent-child 1040?

Lolwot

No, but they can claim you as a dependent.

my parents are being retarded and saying that since the IRS didn't care they filed it like that for so long they're doing it right

no
I don't think so.
that would be weird.

but then why didn't the IRS care?

Protip: the IRS cares

i dont see why they would want to increase their income base. however, if you have income, you probably provide for yourself. if they don't provide at least half of your food and rent over a year, they can't claim you as a dependent. (which fucks you over if you have certain tax benefits)

they are trying to commit tax fraud and i'd just go ahead and send the IRS a letter. your parents are most likely narcissistic pieces of shit that use and abuse you.

Then why hasn't the IRS said anything? they've done it like this for multiple years, they've even been audited once during the time

So let me get this straight. Your parents... reported your income as their income... the IRS audited them... and nothing came of it? Something is really off about this story.

Yup, but I didn't file taxes because they said I didn't have to so the IRS still got their money

What type of income is it? Investment income?

W2 money and school scholarships

W2 money? From a job? If you are filling out a w2 you should be filing your own income.

under 6,200 you don't have to file

anyway I know that NOW but im seeing if my parents royally fucked up

Yea you don't have to file but that doesn't mean they can file your income for you. The only way it would even be remotely legal is if it was investment income. They probably lied, bro.

Plus if your income was that low you should be getting a tax return. There's no reason for you not to file.

>tfw filing an amended tax return so late

except for the fact that his parents are probably not telling him he actually gets a return and are cashing it in for themselves

Kinda reminds me of my ex gf. I went with her to do her taxes one year and wondered why she was putting 0 dependants on the form. She said she didn't know, that the tax man sets up all the paperwork for her each year. Then I come to find out that her tax man was her dad's tax man. Her dad was telling her to go there every year so she wouldnt ask any questions and he could continue to claim her as a dependant even though she lived on her own. 5 years later he had scammed her out of about 10 grand in tax returns LOL.

quick question

if you don't want to claim yourself as a Dependant on the EZ-1040 forum do you still check box the "you" on space 5?

Yea

and if you don't is it just blank? or do you still check "you"

Blank.

>tfw I fucked up and checked you as a Dependant this year
well fuck

Yea you fucked up lol. You only check that if someone else is filing you as a dependant.

welp I guess everybody in my household is filing a 1040X then kek

she might be able to legally do something about that if she hasn't
shitty parents should be treated like the scum they are

I told her that but she's asian. The culture would never allow her to even say something to her dad, let alone pursue legal recourse.

if she's in america, the culture is fuck you