If there is some sort of investigation happening, is it Veeky Forums approved to give information?

If there is some sort of investigation happening, is it Veeky Forums approved to give information?

A civil investigator asked me some questions about my neighbors, should I assist her in the investigation? I don't know too much but is it worthwhile to assist an investigation or does it eventually lead to getting shot or a horse's head in my bed?

Depends on the situation. Does your neighbor look like a serial killer?

Civil investigation, so not criminal

The situation is very sketchy overall.

bump

can someone reply pls

Snitches get stitches.

If its sketchy OP tell her no, sorry I wont help you.
Make them come with a judges approval if they want your info.

She wasn't like interrogating me, just asking a few simple questions that weren't really specific or dramatic

Isn't it my civil duty as a citizen to assist in investigations?

Not in an anarcho-libertarian society.

>Not in an anarcho-libertarian society.

Where does an anarcho-libertarian society exist? Which part of the world, somali is the closest I think right?

With the right personal attitude any society can be anarcho-libertarian my friend.

Don't talk to anyone unless you are dragged down to a police station and have a lawyer present.

There's no such thing as a "quick word." There's no such thing as "just give us a little information and you will be on your way." There's no such thing as "you don't have anything to do with it, right? so what's wrong with telling us what you know?"

Once you talk, you are irrevocably involving yourself in the situation.

No, don't get involved. You have to live by them, no need to make things awkward.

A good investigator doesn't need an eye witness account.

>Don't talk to anyone unless you are dragged down to a police station and have a lawyer present.

Are you sure? I literally have nothing at all to do with it, it was just simple questions like "Have you seen your neighbors before?", "What did they look like?", "Have you been noticing anything weird going on lately?"

it's a really strange situation overall, so to be quite honest I was curious what was going on myself so I even asked her what's up with the investigation and she told me she couldn't give me much info.

>There's no such thing as "you don't have anything to do with it, right? so what's wrong with telling us what you know?"

I get what you mean but it wasn't an interrogation in any shape or form, it was the least forced interaction I've ever had. She didn't even seem to push at all, just very basic questions.

FIRST
>"Mr. White, have you heard or seen anything out of the ordinary lately?

THEN
>"Well, one of their neighbors, James White, says he frequently heard 'loud noises' coming from the property."

THEN
>"Thanks for coming in to talk to us, Mr. White. We have a few quick questions for you, and then you can be on your way. So, about those noises..."

THEN
>"Well, Mr. White, it seems that your story doesn't add up. You originally claimed that you heard the noises on the 15th, but now you're saying the 12th? What are you trying to hide from us? Come to think of it, the murder weapon was a .38 revolver, just like the one you have a concealed carry license for..."

LAST
>"Mr. James White, by the power invested in me by the State of Florida, I hereby sentence you to life in prison for the murder of Felicia Reyes!"

I remember hearing something about these sorts of investigations for people wanting to join certain government organizations. I can't remember which ones.

Would make sense...

BUT this is a CIVIL investigator as I said, not a criminal investigation.

>BUT this is a CIVIL investigator

Where do you think something like this is likely to end up m8?

if it's like civil forfeiture stuff, would that really become a criminal investigation?

She didn't seem like an interrogator anyways

Don't help. It will do more harm than good for you. It might help neighbors but not worth it.

Even if it doesn't become a criminal investigation you may be putting yourself in a stupid position down the line. Criminal stuff isn't the only stuff which can go to court.

But would literally answering the basic questions i said above make me attached to this case? The investigator questioned other neighbors as well.

They were very innocent questions

Maybe.

Lol no, that person works at the law firm repping someone involved in the case. Since it's civil, it's probably something financial. They're just looking for leads, this is common in civil actions. seems paranoid or watches too much tv. I almost got a job doing this as an intern but declined it for something else. Contrary to the news, tv, and popular belief, an overwhelming majority of people are reasonable and if he did somehow see or find out you talked to this person, I doubt he'll do anything to you, even if you did know something.

I agree with this.

If some stranger started asking me questions I would politely decline. If they were police, I would ask what the matter was about, and if it were criminal and did not involve me whatsoever, I would curtly answer their questions without giving any significant detail.

Cooperating with police when it does not involve you, is not a big deal. But just talking to some random PI or lawyer is not smart in my opinion.