Why didn't any western civilizations develop calligraphy in the same manner than Arabic and East Asians did...

Why didn't any western civilizations develop calligraphy in the same manner than Arabic and East Asians did? why is Greek or Roman or Germanic or Nordic calligraphy not present until the middle ages, and even then its primitive compared to the pictograms and highly developed art of brushstroke, character, persian calligraphic pictures, etc?

or was there, and I'm just ignorant to it?

At a total guess, it's probably because engraving was a big thing in Greece and Rome, don't really know about up north.

Writing on paper wasn't really done because writing on stone was where it was at.

makes sense

come to think of it, lithography is much more common in europe than it is in east asia (although they make woodblock prints)

calligraphy in the Orient is treated as a fine art, and sometimes a craft, and many people make their living selling calligraphy. it also has religious and spiritual context, especially with Buddhism

in the west, its more of a novelty. the only time I've ever seen western calligraphy (outside of the middle ages) is in advertisements and at renaissance fairs (kek)

kind of strange

bump

Just a guess, but perhaps it easier or more convenient to make paper in the middle and far east than it is in europe

Caligraphy is retarded and designed to keep peasants barely literate

Paper is convenient to make everywhere that's why it's made everywhere

>Why didn't any western civilizations develop calligraphy
Because they made something better.

Today, maybe not 2000 years ago

Yes it was that's precisely why it replaced papyrus and parchment.

Obviously I meant paper-like materials as well as actual literal paper

.t Jared diamond

As retarded as he is if you honestly think environment has no impact on society you are insane

You guys realize paper and related things like papyrus and bark paper are literally just wet plant fibres pressed into sheets?

The only places where it is truly hard to make a paper like substance are very dry deserts and icy wastes, and guess what, those places dont support complex societies anyway

Arabic calligraphy is an Islamic art. Part of its emergence may be understood as a result of the proscription on idolatry and the representation of Quranic scenes and prophets in images.

In China calligraphy probably emerges as a result of its non-phonetic, highly specialized writing system.

I find Arabic and Chinese calligraphy to be exceptionally beautiful. Anyone who says it's not art only needs give it a try themselves.

PS: there is a beautiful school of Chinese Arabic calligraphy developed by the Chinese Muslims since the 8th century or so. It approaches Arabic calligraphy using Chinese techniques. The results are fascinating.

looks lige mongol script desu

....they fucking did. Look up Illuminations and fancy gothic script.

Pleb tier, I blame guy who designed letters to be ugly and not calligraphic. We should've roll with based berber script.

stranger, never considered that to be calligraphic. it just looks like a straight script that would have been printed easy to print on a press

What the fuck DO you consider calligraphy then?!

Just go to say the British Library website, go to the manuscripts section and look around.

I meant in the sense of it being a fine art

I know its considered calligraphy, yeah. but its strange because its not really related in terms of intent. its just meant to be legible and convey information. a lot of eastern calligraphy is illegible, or written in ancient script that nobody else uses anymore

Then you clearly haven't looked very hard at Western manuscripts.

feel free to show me some examples of manuscripts that were not written with the purpose of being printable by press or conveying information, and were illegible to the audience and intended for fine art or spiritual purposes

I will commit sudoku on camera if you can manage it

>moving the goalposts
>implying Eastern calligraphy isnt readable or is just scratches on paper

>moving the goalposts
wow, what a retard. literally just repeated what I said in my last post, so no, its exactly the same goalposts.
do you even speak english?

some of it is readable, but its not always the purpose. sometimes its more about the brush stroke, aesthetic, spiritual content, etc etc

>why didnt they have calligraphy in the west
>they did
>but it was actually readable and wasnt just scribbles on a page to look artsy so it wasnt real calligraphy in my mind

>not moving the goal posts

haha holy shit, your reading comprehension is beyond retarded levels. nowhere in my post did I say that the west didnt have calligraphy.

try reading before embarassing yourself next time