angband.oook.cz/competition.php

Junethack is ongoing for the rest of June: junethack.net/

DCSS Trunk Updates:
crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-12-june-2016

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/pkf1qnuZ

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

nikheizen.github.io/pages/spellbooks.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hallowed be thy name.

My horse evolved into an unruly horse and it seems like I've lost speed because of it. Can anyone confirm/deny this for me?

3rd for dragons are a shit race.

You may have lost speed because of insufficient riding skill? I don't know how riding works in Poschengband at all.

In PCB monsters have their speed slightly randomized when they're generated (up to I think -3 or +3 from the normal value).

You just got shitty lucky and your new horse was generated with -1 speed.

Fucking gay.

PosChengband? More like PozChengband.

Cause the game is AIDS.

horse-on-horse might be gay but horse-on-woman is actually less gay than man-on-woman

:^)

>anything being more straight than straight sex

What could go wrong?

The Tarrasque is evidently another monster capable of killing a solar.

That HP is actually looking pretty good now.
Also nice capped unhasted speed.

Can you control gods? Also nice current mount that fucker has killed me before from the rocket spam.

No (but you can summon them with summon monsters, for a short amount of time anyway).

I looked it up once. It's p, h, t, A, L, V and nazgul I think.

We managed to kill artemis, though I had to let my mount kick her to near death and finish her with a magic missile since all my devices and mana were empty.

how much of that speed is from Echizen and how much is from eating eight thousand speed rings

My speed bonus is +29, but you only get a percentage of that when riding. It's almost all him.

Why haven't they done something about gargoyle, just too powerful

And since I lost control of him already, my unmounted speed is +34.

Lost my first horse to a death sword but was able to grab another unruly horse, this one without a speed malus. To be continued tomorrow.

>AC: 58

well meme'd my friend

had armour of the dragon king, didn't max armour because there was no reason to

Have you won a Cheiite of every race or every role?

>XL 27
>171 MHP

Gargoyle doesn't even make the top 5 strongest races in Crawl user.

I only use repel missiles and blink spell but this hat gives me better spell chance. Should i train some int or keep it as it is now?

>implying HP is what determines the strength of a race
nigga pls

>implying that rLCS doesn't impact the necessary care taken when playing different races
You can do better user

Don't raise int.
You should only wear this hat if you need rPois for a Lair branch. And for fire monsters if you haven't found any other source of rF like a ring.
-3 AC is bad.

Are you bad at the game or something? because it sounds like you are. I recommend gittinggud

Should clarify that if you have any other source of rPois, don't use the hat.
It's a bad hat against every monster that doesn't do poison or fire damage, and it's a bad hat if you have rPois or rF from somewhere else.

Has anyone used it before? Is it too suicidal?

well you get rF++ from it so you won't take much damage

I'd use it just for the fun factor.

It's fun and in trunk it makes you immune to your own clouds.

LCS is not a very scary monster spell. Iron shot is much worse.

Well damn, I'm going to acquire money for the first time ever. This thing costs 2k, the orange plate armour costs 2.3k and I already bought a pair of randart rings for about 1.6k gold. This is a very jewish run and Ash isn't going to pay for it.

>LCS is not a very scary monster spell
Your new is showing

Maybe do something about that

Yo, quick Crawl question: If I'm an endgame worthy mummy, can I just wait forever and kill the monsters that spawn for free exp, or does the game have some way of detecting this?

I figure I can kill pretty much any single spawn.

pretty good minotaur drop

too bad rings DONT HAVE HANDS

time eventually runs out, i dont know why youd want to do that anyway

I am more scared of a spell which is likely to actually deal damage to me then a spell which has a much lower chance of potentially dealing ~33% more damage to me.

LCS is pretty shit as both a player and monster spell.

Smitefire, Paralyze, Iron Shot, Torment are all much much worse.

Why don't you just enter a ziggurat to test your character's power?

I think he was talking about iron shot having longer range and it being easier to stay out of range of LCS, but that's really iffy reasoning.

You should do Pandemonium if you want to grind, assuming you can get the 4 pan runes without leaving their levels. If Pan is too easy you can do Zigs but I don't know why you'd want to do that.

You could wait forever on normal dungeon levels and the game will spawn increasingly dangerous monsters and then stop spawning entirely. But this is boring and stupid.

LCS is more accurate than iron shot.

Maybe I should

I had frailty and not 27 fighting

Oh right, mana storm destroys everything ever so maybe the black reaver isn't as good as it looks. He has a lot of pointless spells, too, though I'm not sure what casts intelligently does for that.

You can walk through walls while riding one which is pretty cool though.

And there was a time when LCS was the most dangerous damage dealing monster spell you could face, thus using LCS as a shorthand for 'high incoming magical damage that has a chance of flatly assguttering you' is a fairly straightforward way to state things to someone who's played anything older than nucrawl

But this has stopped being fun, so peace

That's at 20 million turns, right? I don't think I'll grind for that long.

Too dangerous.

>You could wait forever on normal dungeon levels and the game will spawn increasingly dangerous monsters and then stop spawning entirely. But this is boring and stupid.

Sounds right up my alley. The "stop spawn" threshold is per floor, right?

>LCS is more accurate than iron shot.
Are you sure?
I have only been hit by it two or three times that I can remember, while I get hit by iron shot all the time. Maybe the spell frequencies on Iron Shot casters are just higher?

So how is a mage late game in PCB? I'm thinking of finally trying one out. Do they have to grind like for *healing* like hitdudes? Or do they just get one-shot by everything? How are you supposed to survive lategame? Can I just go full spells and not train melee at all?

Mages are kind of bad, though Armageddon/Sorcery can be fun. Try a high mage first.

if you have heal spells then you get to grind for !mana instead

Can anyone recommend a roguelike with good immersion/story? I know that's not the focus of most roguelikes. I've been playing DCSS and the lack of any story other than "get orb take it back to surface" is kind of annoying.

Which realm? Armageddon right? I want to kill shit with manastorms and psycho-spears. Or is it just nature for everything because nature op?

It's per floor. I think it stops after 10k turns?

Yes it's more accurate, by 3 more accuracy.

Tales of MajEyal

Mana storm is chaos. Neither one has really any utility whatsoever so pick whichever sounds cooler.

You can't really melee things that matter as a mage unless you're doing some weird build you've focused your entire character around.

Elona Custom has the plot finally translated for us gaijins.

No no. A pure nature caster is bad.
Nature is a support school (though its fourth book isn't, but Nature 4 is bad)
I recommend either Chaos or Armageddon.

Daemon is also doable, but has a huge gap between good spells early on.

You can see the spells for a bunch of the schools here: nikheizen.github.io/pages/spellbooks.html
The page is currently unfinished though.

Elona looks like a clusterfuck of random weeb shit. Could anyone explain to me it's appeal? Not a rhetorical question I'm honestly curious about the game.

nature is OP as a sort of support school for hybrid dudes like monks
it doesn't actually have many/any good damage spells so it's poor as your only school

maybe nature+armageddon on a mage would be nice? but high mages only get one school so don't bother

nothing is gonna have a hugely engrossing story because you're repeating it from the beginning every time you die

Sil.

I don't really get the advice to pick High Mage over normal mage. Sure you get lower mana costs on your spells but you have to pick a damage school and then you're losing out on strong utility shit like dimension door or clairvoyance. Just dimension door by itself is good enough to be worth it, especially if you're a human so you can take astral guide.

Okay, so how am I supposed to kill serpent? Manastorm spam?

The non-story enemies and items are, honestly, pretty random. A lot like PCB in that sense (you're gonna run into Big Daddies, for instance.) The main plot itself is pretty solid and non-random though.
The main appeal of the game is "you can do anything," for lack of a better explanation. Decorate your house, make a living selling cooked crops, be a golem protitute, mod your waifu into the game and turn her into a disgusting god-slaying powerhouse, marry a horse, you get the idea.

Did you pick Armageddon? You have Breathe Mana, not Manastorm. But the serpent doesn't resist shards so you'll probably use the slightly-higher-damage Breathe Shards instead for 500 damage a pop.

What did you pick? If Chaos, yes, you just manastorm it until it dies. It takes 60 casts before regen, so make sure to stock up on !Restore Mana, staves of Restore Mana, and rods of Great Clarity.

That and offensive devices, since you have one of the highest device skills in the game.

Nah I picked Chaos.

Thanks guys, really helpful. I love /rlg/.
BEST AND COMFIEST GENERAL RIGHT HERE FOLKS

Isn't astral guide shit though? Just carry scrolls.

Have you played a mage?
Running out of mana constantly is not fun.
Even with a primary damage school you still run out of mana in fights against low level uniques constantly.

astral guide makes dimension door cost only 1 turn instead of 1.3 or whatever

being able to 0% fail teleport to exactly the tile you want is really useful

I don't think many characters can cast dimension door at 0% fail.

Yeah. I didn't notiice the "-3". I already have rF ,rPois and blink. I'll just drop it.

It turns out ring monsters can't learn the 'plasma bolt' spell. Fuck.

Fair enough.

Psions can, I just assumed mages could too.

It was worth trudging through all of Robin Hood's traps for this.

As it's been stated, mages are kind of shitty.

This is a Shrewd Demigod Athena Mage of Armageddon/Sorcery who took Arcane Mastery as a feat. That's 3 Easy Spell bonuses right there.
With a 4th easy spell bonus from the Charmed Pendant, the fail rate is 0.

Another little bit: the fail rate on Breathe Shards is 24%(12% with the Charmed Pendant) and costs 51/457 mana (capped INT, no DecMana or SP pool increases).

>cropping

I guess the fail rate is lower when it's your primary school at least? I thought the general strat was to have the school with escape/emergency spells as your primary school for the lower failrates.
I don't know how severely that shits on your secondary school though

I absolutely cannot get Lab start to work on the current CDDA experimental. Even at total base defaults for city gen, I can hold Shift+Y all night and it won't spawn a start.

Is there an earlier build that it does work on that still has the majority of the new features?

They just pushed a new build that fixed it 25 minutes ago

Dear /rlg/

fuck this place and fuck ancient liches

Why the fuck does waterstrike exist

Amazing.

It's pretty bad. Obviously Dimension door is 0%, but having this bad fail rates on your damage spells with pretty much the max amount of easy spell you can get is not worth it imho.

Though I guess as a Mage you might want to rely more on -Rockets et al.
Still, sounds pretty shitty compared to an XL50 High Mage.

Forgot image.
With one more easy spell bonus the fail rate would go down to 0%, and 2 is not as hard to get or sacrificing as much as 4.

Breathe Shards fail rate would go down to 0% for the high mage*

10/10
And surprisingly I haven't seen ancient liches in the vaults in a while

hi tittycrusher

>tfw there is no roguelike where you can play as a nazi exploring ancient castles to search for artifacts on the behalf of Himmler
>tfw no roguelikes where you can use Hitler aryan magic

Yet to be programmed, user!

Would anyone be interested in a series of Brogue videos where a decent player goes over replays of their games and points out mistakes and reasons why they made certain decisions?

Sure. What do you have to lose but a little time?

Casters in PCB are really fun, a lot more than melee, glad I checked them out. Bolts are great for clearing lots of enemies in hallways.

What realm are you playing?

Chaos. Just learned chaos bolt a little bit ago but I'm a little worried it might poly an enemy or something and completely heal any damage the actual bolt does. I used it on Meng and obviously uniques can't be poly'd so it just confused him which was really useful. Chaos damage does have a chance to poly right?

Oh yeah it can poly. Now that's what I call shit.

>Lair is now 6 floors

WHAT TOOK YOU SO LOOOOONG

Yeah. But you should really be using Mana Burst for pretty much everything.
It doesn't destroy loot and has amazing mana efficiency when mastered.
Use Doom Bolt for uniques.

I have been using Mana Burst for everything, though I sometimes use fire bolt or fist of force.

Yup. Sounds about right.

Uh, what's that supposed to mean?

Remember that first of force is actually a single-tile ball of disintegration. So it'll destroy any sweet loot that your victim is standing on.