"it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

"it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

What did he mean by this?!

>"Christ is your friend, lower class citizen ;^)"

That rich people can't go to heaven.

Despite the sophistry Christian apologists will engage in to justify being wealthy it's pretty clear.

He's not talking about a sewing needle to start.

wtf i hate jesus now

It was the door into a city wasn't?

No this is a stupid meme concocted by butthurt rich people.

There was no such gate into Jerusalem.

Hyperbole, an exaggeration.

Also, kamelos in Greek is camel, and kamilos is rope/cable.

SO it is easier for a rope to get through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to get into heaven.

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich person to go to Heaven.

Rich person meaning, worldly, go to Heaven as in, spiritual pursuit.

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

>not selling all your shit to go on an adventure with jesus and his entourage
>being this much of a materialistic baka

what is he going to do before he dies? cry "waa waa boo hoo, what about all the furniture i bought?" the only thing that should be on his mind is god. this is why buddha said attachment is bad.

You have to become like thin air in order for you to enter the kingdom of God. Rich men usually are too full of themselves, hence unwilling to be reduced into thin air.

Buddha said that attachment is bad because all things are impermanent. Being attached to something that will disappear causes suffering.

Does it mean that a man who puts money on a pedestal (addicted to making money) will struggle immensely to get into heaven?

Industrial processes were already precise enough by AD 30 to create an eye in a needle?

Huh...really makes you think.

"You can't serve God and money", so the pursuit of money and the materials that come with a lot of money is vanity. Money, and the objects of money, are all bound to pass away.

It is one thing to have cultivated money for a good cause. You need money to have some general necessities. Money (somehow) is the only thing that will cure disease, so it would then be put to use. Money buys gifts which make others happy.

>Want to have a large income so you can provide for your family and ensure them a great, promising future?

>Looks like your going to hell, friendo :') (fuck rich people btw)

If you believe in the afterlife than a rich promising future in this life really doesn't matter all that much.

jesus was saying the same thing desu. why cling to material possessions? you can't take them to heaven when you die. they are just distractions and causes of suffering, which is evident when the man walked away sad.

>literally refusing to become Jesus's nakama
What was he thinking?

You can be a man with a family and plenty of money. There is not anything wrong with this. Christ doesn't raid the rich man's house and condemn him for working hard and loving his family. The man cultivates the necessary amounts of resources that he needs to.

Ii you believe in the afterlife then your life as a whole doesn't matter much at all.

It was just a metaphor!

>Hey guys, heaven exists, so living a short, wretched, horrible existence is completely justified :')

kill yourself

This is exactly why charity exists

If heaven is real then yes, your greentext is unironically true.

If there really is an unimaginably wonderful afterlife awaiting you then a horrible short life is totally worth it.

>muh family

That's such a fucking slippery slope.

Eating simple foods, wearing simple clothes, and living in a hippie commune with that cool Jesus dude is the only thing your family needs.

>80 years of suffering
>forever in paradise
sounds justified to me you tard

try 40 or something.

What a pity then that the paradise in question is fictional.

There is nothing wrong with taking what you need. Excess is no good.

Its literally a hole at the wend of a pointy metal stick.

I think the Hebrews had 'hole on stick' technology.

>There is nothing wrong with taking what you need. Excess is no good.

What you need is to wear rags and eat turnips. What you don't need is pork, or your own house.

Stop money lending in the temple.

So do you wear rags and eat turnips while you post on the internet or is that not a part of your religion

I don't claim to be a christian.

>The bread which you hold back belongs to the hungry; the coat, which you guard in your locked storage-chests, belongs to the naked; the footwear mouldering in your closet belongs to those without shoes. The silver that you keep hidden in a safe place belongs to the one in need. Thus, however many are those whom you could have provided for, so many are those whom you wrong.
-Saint Basil the Great

Fucking commie scum, who believes this bullshit?

what's wrong with giving away things you don't or hardly use? it's really sad how selfish some people are.

the bible's author really hates people with a lot of wealth

the bible's author was the original hater of the bourgeoisie

Christians.

That people who "serve two masters" (i.e., both God and worldly pursuits) will find it impossible to enter heaven. God needs to be the primary and pre-eminent pursuit in your life, otherwise it's damnation.

No Christians I know follow this.

it means fuck rich ppl, for they are dirty thiefs
should be executed one by one

thats because you are not a christian but a dirty plebbit amerifat who will go to hell

Jesus was a goddamn commie that's what it means

Not saying that giving it to charity is the best solution, but expensive and wasteful pursuits are pretty stupid desu. Wealth and security is one thing, but extravagance is another entirely.

Anatoly Fomenko pls leave Veeky Forums

>unbox unused shoes
>rubbers falls apart
Thanks planned obsolescence

Why do you think monks and priests exist?

They are the model of perfect Christians, that all Christians should emulate.

Worldly possessions are temporary. A family counts as a worldly possession. You should care about their souls, not your dynasty, your legacy, and the material wealth involved in it.

That's kind of creepy, being obsessed with some fake idea than caring about the real people who love you.

Literally the next verse is

>But with God all things are possible.

because clergy have so many kids

Guys. Please.

If you've got cash to spend and you're all about them hookers and blow, it's gonna be really hard to focus on God. If you've got TV, it's gonna be really hard to spend all your time praying/reading the bible. If you've got the internet, it's gonna be hard to not come to Veeky Forums and get filthy. Simple stuff. A good example is that we're rich compared to most of the world (1st vs 3rd) and we're so spiritually impoverished, simply due to being entertained by stuff in front of us, rather than searching for something more.

>You can be a man with a family and plenty of money

No in Christianity.

"If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison--your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple."
-Luke 14:26

Oh, wait: it's a "metaphor", surely, just like every other troublesome quote in the Bible is, despite Jesus laying it plain and simple.

Meanwhile Judas was apparently in the wrong for arguing that they should have sold that expensive perfume to feed the poor rather than use it on Jesus.

Marriage is another form of the ascetic life.

Getting pretty desperate for /rel/ now.

Why would you want to spend all your life and energies worshiping God?

If a pack of thugs decide one day to rape your ass, God isn't going to come down and smite them just because you were devout. He'll force hardships on your life and expect you to thank Him for it.

Not to mention the bullshit that God can't be judged by humans. Especially when God personally intervenes in detestable ways. The most blatant example being when God punishes David's sin by aborting Bathsheba's child. If any human punished adultery by gut punching the pregnant adulteress, they'd look like a fucking monster. Though for Christians it's righteous justice.

Notice how he says "in comparison." Jesus is talking about priorities, if you love any of those things more than you love God then you cannot be a Christian.

The needy in this scenario is my future self

Islam says one should give to the poor too.

>Ugh this is just bullshit! When dad drives the car it's no big deal but when I do it everyone freaks out! Gah! I'm 13 years old already and there is literally no difference between me and dad! If life were actually fair the rules would be the same for everyone!

You can be a Christian with a big family and rich.

If you become a disciple you throw everything away and follow the teachings, but you guys take out all the common sense out of the quotes and make it sound like Christ wants you to jump off a cliff and burn your money

Suppose someone has a bug family and plenty of money and then becomes Christian. They use the common sense they have and apply the teachings rather than over literal-ize every word like Veeky Forums does

>You can be a modern day "Christian" with a big family and rich.
Fixed that for you.

Nicodemus was a wealthy Pharisee who followed Christ.

Why do non-Christians care so much about being right about their own misinterpretations of the Bible?

Money is important, it is a cultivated resource, Christ isn't stupid, He understands certain circumstance calls for money. He understands that most people have to go to work in order to practically survive.

It is just that simple. There is a big difference between being rich and sharing your resources and another thing to be rich and indulge in your resources.

Just like the whole "hate your family and your own life" He isn't saying "be an emo kid and say woe is me ima so sad" rather He says cut out the vices that run in yourself and in your family and follow Christ instead.

If you want to follow God, be prepared to leave money and residual family habits behind

>God is allowed to do things he tells us is evil and still be called 100% good

Also didn't Christ imply that the young rich man was living a good life in God's eyes by keeping the commandments, but to be perfect he had to give up his possessions?

That seems to show that you can be rich and not be damned.

>you must hate everyone else by comparison

>muh I love my mummy more than god waahhh!

jesus is so kawaii

>mom
Cooks my tendies and loves me despite still being a bagger at 25.
>God
Can't masturbate without suffering eternally in Hell.

>Ii you believe in the afterlife then your life as a whole doesn't matter much at all.

Now you're catching on.

>Money is important

No it isn't. Only God is important. If you think anything else is, your faith is insincere.

>"They could make holes before the Industrial revolution?!?! Golly!"

>JEEZE WHY THE FUCCCCCKKKKK IS DAD ALLOWED TO STAY UP PAST BED TIME!!!!! THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That it's really easy to convert poor people, and then to outnumber everyone else.

>That rich people can't go to heaven.
>Despite the sophistry Christian apologists will engage in to justify being wealthy it's pretty clear.

You don't actually believe that, right?

You don't actually think you're not shitposting, right?

>rich men can't get into heaven
>not shitposting

It's like you want to be taken seriously or something.

Are you calling Jesus a shitposter? Because if so I agree.

Kek. You can't even understand the point.

Money is practically important.

Obviously God is more important

>more important

If you really believed, it wouldn't just be the most important thing, it would be the only important thing. That is what Jesus meant. Accumulating wealth just proves insincerity of faith.

Again Christ isn't ignorant to individual situations.

God is obviously more important, money is a cultivated resource.

If God wanted you to be poor, why would He then say "go give your money to people who won't pay it back" When you don't have any.

I trust in God's faith and common sense over someone's interpretation on the internet. You need money to go places and do stuff, it's that simple and God directs people to do certain things and jobs because He understands the importance of His plan

>God's common sense
Economic exchanges are an intrinsic part of society and your religion is crudely stapled on top.
Same reason the Pope lives in a castle and every general claims God is on his side.
Your god is actually your conscience telling you what to feel guilty about. Nothing weird or extraordinary about it.
The fact you have to rationalize away these things shows how jumbled you cultists are about this whole "bible" meme. I've seen people wasting their entire lives going nowhere trying to overcome this huge stumbling block.

Who said God is on the Pope's side? Who's and who said God is saying feel guilty about having money?

Just you.

It is one thing to read and understand, and another thing to over literal-ize a bible quote to try and illusion others

Christ says "It is easier for a rope to get through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich person to get into heaven"

It is a simple reminder that some people have more resources that they need. If you have excess, let go, if you have just enough, than your lot is based on what God calls for you.

If someone is a trillionare, and gives out loads of money everyday to people who actually need it, they aren't condemned.

If a priestly person indulges in expenses than you can assume what you feel.

It means "if you're rich, you're welcome to be a greedy self-centered hedonistic shitbag and the only sin is being poor"

>No it isn't. Only God is important. If you think anything else is, your faith is insincere.

If this is true then why are you required to give away your wealth?

If all that matters is how the person accepts god then why does he have to give away his material wealth? It doesn't matter, only god does.

>jesus was saying the same thing desu
No, Jesus was saying that the world is coming to an end. Can you retarded christfags just fuck off with your inane reinterpretations?

There are obvious conditions for giving up these things.

One Christian can say to another "you aren't a true Christian until you give up EVERYTHING" but they are telling this to them in the comfort in front of their own computer

Certain things in context and in reason make sense. Wealthy Christians are asked frequently, do you choose God or money?

They can still choose God, and God's grace may extend to them that they still be prosperous for all their devotion. Humans don't judge these situations but God does

Aren't material things God's creation though :^)

>If this is true then why are you required to give away your wealth?

Because if you don't, then you care about it. And if you care about it, then your faith is insincere. It's not complicated. You would have to be actively trying to misunderstand (which is of course what a rationalization is).

>Again Christ isn't ignorant to individual situations.

God's mercy is available to anyone, and that's the only "situation" that matters.

>If God wanted you to be poor, why would He then say "go give your money to people who won't pay it back" When you don't have any.

Literally what? You're asking why you should give away money if you're supposed to be poor? Do you know what poor means?

>I trust in God's faith and common sense over someone's interpretation on the internet. You need money to go places and do stuff, it's that simple and God directs people to do certain things and jobs because He understands the importance of His plan

Well first of all, you're disingenuously pretending the only options are "wealthy" and "literally penniless." But really, what does god ask of you that requires luxury?

People seem to over-literalize to convince people of their opinion to illusion them.

So someone saying "you aren't a Christian because you haven't given up all your possessions" is saying it over a computer forum, which is a wealth if you want to be technical.

If people had no wealth, people would have nothing to give.

There is a giant grey area of wealthy and penniless. The luxury of God is in Himself, so that is more important than getting rid of everything because someone on the internet says so, even though they are teachings something contrary to what they are doing

>So someone saying "you aren't a Christian because you haven't given up all your possessions" is saying it over a computer forum, which is a wealth if you want to be technical.
Who said the people pointing out christards' hypocrisy are supposed to follow christard rules, christard?

>If people had no wealth, people would have nothing to give.

Right, and once you give it away, you won't have wealth any more. Do you have a learning disability?

He meant that it's difficult for the rich to get into heaven because excessive wealth often accompanies excessive sin. That was his point.

>So someone saying "you aren't a Christian because you haven't given up all your possessions" is saying it over a computer forum, which is a wealth if you want to be technical.

1) Calling him a hypocrite doesn't make you not one.
2) You certainly don't have to be wealthy to go on the Internet.
3) Helping you see through your own bullshit is doing God's work.
4) Technically he never even said he was a Christian, anyway.

They don't really have authority to teach something they don't believe in.

All it is, is an attempt to trash and mock Christianity, they are not trying to teach anything positive, nor are they honestly approaching Christianity itself, so they aren't people you need to listen to.

Then someone receives wealth given away. It is for equality not for extinction of wealth.

>1) Calling him a hypocrite doesn't make you not one.
Agreed
>2) You certainly don't have to be wealthy to go on the Internet.
The computer itself is wealth and so is the internet.
>3) Helping you see through your own bullshit is doing God's work.
It isn't helping me or hurting me, I think they are just trying to pick a fight rather than actual discussion. Wealth is not more important than God, but wealth is important because money is a practical resource
>4) Technically he never even said he was a Christian, anyway.
They are trying to be right about a subject they have no interest in just to make Christians feel bad? That is not God's work.

>They don't really have authority to teach something they don't believe in.
Really? On what grounds?

>All it is, is an attempt to trash and mock Christianity
Sure, but it's also an HONEST endeavor as opposed to your DISHONEST evasion.