/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/documentation/getting-started/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/16/unturned-making-of/
youtube.com/watch?v=pWStaRmuXzY
youtube.com/watch?v=9uN3i8s9TL4
andersriggelsen.dk/glblendfunc.php
youtube.com/watch?v=vy_xbXIJ898
youtube.com/watch?v=vy_xbXIJ898&
youtube.com/watch?v=03x0bU2w9HI
haxe.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=KLJ-jXJLPcU
assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26912
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Notch.

what will be the next minecraft?

How crazy would it be to start a 3d game with unity alone as my first game? What's the difficulty in making 3d models?

my game

what's your game user? I won't steal the idea, promise

not crazy at all unless you're a retard.

A teenager made a Dayz ripoff with unity: rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/16/unturned-making-of/
It looks like shit but hey it's impressive;

that entirely depends on the scope of the game

regardless it will look terrible because you will have no idea how to do art

First, for failure.

youtube.com/watch?v=pWStaRmuXzY

i know it's f2p but that's not bad

>kid makes a multiplayer 3d game
>you have trouble with pixelshit platformer
just kill me

>calls people with attention to detail autistic retards
>wonders why he himself can't ever do anything right
It's just bad luck.

Posting this here as well. It looks choppy because my computer is bad and I can't into recording. It runs at 60 fps, I promise!

holy shit that's cute do you have a tumblr?

will win?

Pretty cool, gave me nostalgia for old 3d platformers.

Cute... but the motions being choppy is kinda really weird.

sent ;)

I'm drunk but are any of you oldfags? do you remember old /b/ and how fun it was?

report this

Thanks!

>do you have a tumblr?
No, not yet. I only started this project like 10 days ago.

Yes I agree. I will be redoing his animations and retexturing him as well at some point.

I love how choppy it looks, it reminds me of 90s shareware and if the shadow wasn't obviously a proper shadow and was instead just a circular-style shadow you could probably sell me that the bear was pre-rendered.

youtube.com/watch?v=9uN3i8s9TL4

Decided the modelling style of my game. Haven't decided how I am going to texture it.

I don't know if I should sink 3-4 hours a day into PBR and substance painter, or 3-4 hours a day into handpainiting textures in 3d-coat.

remember blockhead?

aggydaggy 3d platformers are doomed

row row good luck on your game

I loved his game
i left for months, what happened to that game?

What style are you going for?

He slapped ads on it, put it on the internet, and dropped further dev.

He now chills in Steamchat doing nothing!

...Oh
: - (

Thanks! He also has a roll move that works like DKC where you can cancel it into a jump even if you roll of a ledge. I'll show it off in a future webm.

This is pretty cool. The choppy animations don't look terrible, but smooth ones would be better. Would follow on tumblr if you had one.

any agdg game that was released since December 2015?

Anyone is making a (flash) webgame? I got my dev laptop back and trying to finish a quick flash game but I heard that google chrome is now blocking flash by default..

Aviary Attorney: December 22
Stormworm+: May 21
Spaceman Sparkles 32: March 21
Whip The Vote (itch.io) January something

Flash is going out of style extremely quickly which makes sense considering it has constant exploits pointed out in it. It's just not safe anymore.

I'm not a big fan of platformers, does it have combat?

>there are people who know everything there is to know about gamemaker/unity but don't have any games or concrete ideas for games

Good dammit how can I learn faster I know exactly what I want to make

There are better options now.

Of course, if you're just shitting out a quick game for general gamedev practice, then there's no need to learn a new tool just yet.

I had limited internet access but people have been saying that for years, I guess it's becoming true now something something self-fulfilling prophecy..

Do we have a solid alternative to flash yet? I wonder if facebook games still use flash, I know that google blocked the unity plugin too.

Yes, with a combo system and z-targeting

Making smaller games that are similar to your main game would be pretty quick.

Whenever you get stuck, consult Google/Stack Overflow

Failing that, ask somebody.

>There are better options now.
Tools are tools I'm kinda attached to flash because of the newgrounds era but I'm willing to learn new stuff, can you tell me more?

flash didn't die because people were saying it would, it died because it's shit and html5 does everything it did, better, and without a player vulnerable to every exploit known to mankind

which anime is that from? looks very detailed but high quality at the same time

Again I had no internet for a while but I remember html5 having performance issues and browser compatibility issues, is it better now?

Nice are you working alone? I hope you don't drop it

>wanted to show you my babymode progress
>can't even figure out how github works or how to use webcam

I have to be biggest shitter here.

Gundam OVA

I was just kidding. There's no combo system or z-targeting. If there is any combat, it will be very light.

I'm working alone, but I'll need a music guy at some point.

It's better now because everyone is switching to it. All major browsers now support it, so there's no compatibility issues besides Dept of Defense computers stuck using IE7. I don't even think you can run Flash on Apple devices anymore, too.

Gundam 0083, it's got amazing animation and a terrible story which makes it perfect for watching with friends.
Also good inspiration for the space jam.

>I was just kidding. There's no combo system or z-targeting. If there is any combat, it will be very light.
You got me I was already picturing sick bear combos. Good luck regardless I'm not a platformer fan but I look forward your game user

anyone uses opengl here?

do you know how to make texture blend with itself within the same draw call? right now if i draw two intersecting textured polygons, and then try to sample texture where they intersect glsl just gives me the value from the last poly.

Good to hear, I'll finish this game and probably make the switch. I feel bad about abandoning flash it's like an old friend now..

You have to set the right blend mode. I'm retarded and don't remember which set would do what you want. I'm also not going to google it for you.

Buuuuut, this tool is super useful for finding which blend function you want: andersriggelsen.dk/glblendfunc.php

Working on my UE4 game jam entry.
It's a little bit wonky at the moment, but I have models and icons made and now I'm going to work on the high score screen and a short tutorial.

Awww yeah

>have Stat enum, containing all stats (str, dex, etc)
>max health is a Stat, but current health is a regular attribute on the character
>have a potion that takes a Stat enum and modifies it by x
>want to have potion also be able to affect current health
hmmm, should I just make the enum an int and set it to -1 for current health? kinda hacky but I dunno

nice progress my dude, it kinda looks like a cooking game from this screenshot

youtube.com/watch?v=vy_xbXIJ898

Game!

Wasted a week trying to fix a little annoying bug with the level model generation, decided to just let it be for now.

Increased level "cell" size, corridors are 1 cell tall and rooms are 2 cells. It's less cramped now.

Delver's textures are nice.

You have 30 seconds to explain why you're not making a VIRTUAL REALITY game.

ANIMEEEEEEEEE

Because I'm making risk of mechs

youtube.com/watch?v=vy_xbXIJ898&

ANIMUUUUUUUUU

so art is placeholder? that's nice esp since it's a gm 3D game i think you and sorcerobedev are the only ones i know using 3D with gm

who /useFOSSart/ here

I only come here to look at games.
Please post a screenshot, gif or webm of your game

>>>reddit

why use something that 10 other niggas can use?

this isn't vanilla gm, right? what engine do you use?

I just have zero actual talent so I like looking at other people making things

In terms of gameplay, you have the best 3D platformer on /agdg/.

And the choppy animation is pretty comfy.

anime y/n

Remember when yandere simulator used unity store models and it totally ruined his career? oh wait plebs don't give a shit about where you get your art or what language you're using anyone who disagrees with this is a delusional nodev lmfaoo

>they've even drawn thousands of pictures of a unity store asset without realizing

youtube.com/watch?v=03x0bU2w9HI

Thanks!
Close enough, it's a game where you eat spicy food and try not to shit yourself before you get to the toilet. Going to the toilet will give you a high score based on how close to the limit you get.

It's terribly inane but out of the concepts I came up with this one was the one most likely I would finish in time since I also have to work shifts at my job.

Man I miss Lucky Star, I should rewatch it one of these days.

The textures are placeholder, yeah. I think Sorcerobedev actually made his own faux-3d engine, but I'm not sure.

>Engine
>In GM
It's just regular GM:Studio (professional), with a 3d collision DLL and a DLL enabling d3d mipmapping.

I haven't devved in it, but the Haxe language is supposed to replace Flash by emulating actionscript. It can export to HTML5 and several other platforms. Some of the frameworks for flash were ported too.
haxe.org/

>Spend a considerable amount of time doing art stuff
>Go out to go get dinner
>Come back
>Computer restarted in the 15 I was gone
>Didnt save before I left
This Automatic updates meme needs to end

fag

youtube.com/watch?v=KLJ-jXJLPcU

by engine i meant library, yes
i said engine because i remember using Irrlicht 3D engine in GM 7.0

why don't you use a real dev OS?

1 or 2?

i'm making minecraft but in 2d i almost have some gameplay to make a webm but what do you think?

Yeah, I figured as much, but I'm not using any outside engine :^)

Both are useable, but 2 is better.
Maybe darken 2?

faded 2

do you have any other game ideas?

Why are you copying Braid?

>got a new monitor
>all my assets where too saturated and contrasted
did some color correcting

That's pretty creepy familiar, are you making a point and click (rip pug) game?

What if... I swap the palettes?

Try it, and also a sandy color, then post a 3 x 3 matrix of the possibilities

Isn't Unturned just this; assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26912
with minor edits (A so called "asset flip")

nice ror clone

if you're doing this to learn it's fine, but if you plan to fully dev this, why would anyone play this over terraria for example

>he thinks games need to be full great games during early dev