/gsg/ - Grand Strategy General

Reminder that SteIIaris has its own general and discussion of the game doesn't go here. Thank you.

We don't have an official steam or discord group. If anyone posts in the thread about any "official" or not steam or discord groups, promising MP or not, be sure it's a shitposter group known for organizing raids and shitposting in the thread. They are known for false-flagging.
Report and ignore it.

How fares your empire, /gsg/?

This day in history, June 18th:
860 – Byzantine–Rus' War: A fleet of about 200 Rus' vessels sails into the Bosphorus and starts pillaging the suburbs of the Byzantine capital Constantinople.
1757 – Battle of Kolín between Prussian forces under Frederick the Great and an Austrian army under the command of Field Marshal Count Leopold Joseph von Daun in the Seven Years' War.
1815 – Napoleonic Wars: The Battle of Waterloo results in the defeat of Napoleon Bonaparte by the Duke of Wellington and Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher forcing him to abdicate the throne of France for the second and last time.
1940 – "Finest Hour" speech by Winston Churchill.

>News
EU4 DD16/06
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-16th-of-june-2016.948773/

CK2 DD 8 - Life goes on
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-development-diary-8-life-goes-on.939724/

>Random Country Picker
randomcountry.gbasood.net/

# Archive
mega.co.nz/#F!WZZFXDyT!yyb25ZuLdLs0B8vhoKS3LA

# Mods
>> READ THIS FIRST.
pastebin.com/cCdcev76

>>[HoI4] - General Fixes V005
pastebin.com/ycs3f6UA

>>[CK2 - 2.5.2] - After The End
github.com/notalbanian/postapoc

>>[V2] - Historical Project Mod 0.3.5 - 18/06/2016
pastebin.com/66gpxbKk

>>[V2] - Napoleon's Legacy v0.3.1.7
pastebin.com/sN1g69sr

>>[V2] Alternative Flag Pack V7
pastebin.com/PRQH8vcV

>>[V2] Many Houses Divided - v 0.0.1.1
dropbox.com/s/jso7qa1c4ystej7/MHD.rar

Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bWPTdRlIkaA
dropbox.com/s/jyloqrkfnr5b2pe/mavModv001.zip?dl=0
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=705956129
strawpoll.me/10514323
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reminder to report and ignore shitposting.

Reminder to pay for the games you play

FTFY
>reminder to pay for the betas you test

youtube.com/watch?v=bWPTdRlIkaA
>Arumba's Adjustments Hearts of Iron IV #1
We all knew it was coming.

pls buy hoi4 dlc season pass

wtf I hate Johan now

What does it even do?

Why cannot I assign naval invasions as nippon?

First I had 7 units on invasion and I tried adding 3 more but the game wouldn't let me so I deleted the order and made a new one. Now I can't assign even a single unit on the naval invasions order and for bonus my bootcamp graduated units refuse to leave mainland Japan.

pls buy liquoria 2

Ye I think that is probably the best strategy with navy.

I think with Sweden you get the biggest benefit by boosting your destroyers with your experience.

10 division limit at the start of the game for naval invasions. Maybe you have another invasion going that takes up the capacity.

B A S E D

So it's 10 max per COUNTRY and not per invasion?

thats so fucking terrible

>I can't assign even a single unit on the naval invasions
>my bootcamp graduated units refuse to leave mainland Japan
Looks like you have no convoys left.

Balances the early game a ton.

You don't really need that many invasions to be honest early anyways.

I have 400, from which 30 are used for trade. Convoys are definitely not the problem.

dropbox.com/s/jyloqrkfnr5b2pe/mavModv001.zip?dl=0
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=705956129

need to just release this shit and let people complain about everything that's wrong. have fun.

as an FYI Baltic Countries aren't accounted for at all. if they are independent the annex events will just annex them anyway. I'm not sure what to do with them if the SU doesn't annex them first.

Surrender requirements are hold leningrad/moscow/stalingrad/baku/sverdlovsk. average of 30 days the surrender event will fire. 85% chance the ai surrenders.

There's some additional national focus' in the german tree on the far right.
The name sucks i know.

it's not compatible with that ai production/research mod since for some reason that mod also affects the german national focus tree

How'd you get the solid political map?

soldier

strawpoll.me/10514323
strawpoll.me/10514323
strawpoll.me/10514323
strawpoll.me/10514323
strawpoll.me/10514323
strawpoll.me/10514323
strawpoll.me/10514323

it's the better political map mod mod. i don't use it anymore.

Where were you when HPM single-handedly killed the liquor meme?

>Made steel profitable
>Cut liquor profits

Based

Is there a mod that makes the terrain map mode and political map mode separate

>made steel profitable
>gave Australia more iron

Finally, I can play the real Australia, a land of sheep and valuable rocks.

t. alex grandi

Liquor-memers (all 2 of them) have committed collective suicide.

If they ever made a cold war game I'd want it to end at 9/11 rather than 1991, more comfortable time frame.

nope. maybe eventually but i don't know how hard that will be.

>9/11
fucking why
that makes no sense

Anyway to play as full Canada right off the bat in HPM? Other than releasing and changeownering the whole goddamn continent.

use the events

almost exactly an extra decade + start of The War On Terror era

Do enemy units withstand nuclear bombs????? I mean, they didn't die sooo what's up with that?

Does Alex have a steel fetish?

>want to play HPM
>don't know how to industrialize now that liquor has been fixed
What do?!

Nope, all they do is reduce national unity by an insignificant amount. It's a joke, realy

Just a few steel mills and you too could be the next great power!
Order yours today!

I'm currently Scandinavia myself, and I have a question for you; how do you protect against both germany and soviet? Have you been able to at all? I have managed to build a fairly large army relatively speaking (scandinavia sucks), but I still won't be a match for Soviet or Germany, let alone both at the same time.

>Strategical nuclear weapons are useful against enemy's army
Go back to /civ4x/.

>not using NATO counters
why hello there Johan

didn't have to protect against germany since 1, I'm fascist, and 2, pic

against russia, I had to pull back up into the north of Sweden and just sit there until I got some tech and some units on the field... been slowly pushing them back now

>when your capitalists still fall for the liquor meme

>le nukes are useless maym!
Stop spouting this shit, they cause extreme org. damage on the province they hit. If there is a huge stack this can make the difference in a push

HPM if you're still in the thread, I noticed in the new update that Steel Mills require 222 Machine Parts while Cement Factories only require 22. Is that working as intended?

also i am probably gonna setup a github or something. i need help doing localization for other languages. does that interest anyone.

Yes, that's how vanilla set it up. I didn't change what factories need to be built except for replacing iron with steel.
A rework of factories proper will be done in another update.

HOI 4 was my first paradox game. Any suggestions for my next game?

Read the OP image

>liquor has been fixed
what?

No one told me you could get anarchy as a government in CK2 vanilla

If you just want to up the autism go HoI 3, has lot of the same elements but more autistic.

If you wanted more sim city with your factories go for Victoria 2

If you want more diplomacy and intriegue almost to RPG levels then go CK 2

If you can't decide go to EU 4

Love how people are making submods for the aGoT mod

Lads how do i get mods for hoi4 desu steam workshop downloader doesnt work anymore

t.pirate

Hy /gsg/ HoI4 scrub here hoping to get some advice. Started my first game as Italy after watching a couple of turns on you tube to get some ideas on the basics.

>Immediately took out Yugoslavia
>Formed own faction
>Bum-rushed France in 1937, UK joined yada yada
>Ignored UK and basically just let them rape my navy, wasn't really sure how to handle that.
>Took out greece, then turkey whom I used to pour into ME
>Cleaned bongs out of africa
>Japan, Bulgaria, Hungary join my faction

Now I feel like I'm stuck have no clue how to handle the UK. My navy is in shambles so naval invasions aren't likely. Japan declared war on the Netherlands and is now getting their shit kicked in, so now I have no good source of rubber, making spamming airplanes difficult.

Germany teamed up with Spain and though it would be smart to invite Finland to join them. Now they are stuck in a war with the USSR and it seems unlikely they'll be helping any time soon.

How do I handle the UK? Right now I have half my forces just sitting in northern franc, pushing back the constant Allies incursions.

pic related is my map

Alright, can we put the memes aside for a moment and all agree that, for what it set out to do, HoI4 is a success? It gave us a WWII grandstrat free from all the archaic bullshit of Darkest Hour, and also much easier to get into than HoI3. Can anyone here honestly say they enjoy wasting an hour to fix their OoB every time they start a game of HoI3? Not to mention that, rather than needing to tediously micromanage industry like in other HoI games, HoI4's industry is both streamlined as well as more intuitive than the previous games. Yeah, it's true that HoI4 leads to more "ahistorical" scenarios, but isn't that the point? Why even bother playing the game if the outcome is predetermined form the start? Moreover, from a pure gameplay perspective, giving the player more options, whether they be historical or ahistorical, is a total success. Sure, Mosley ruling Britain never could have happened in reality, but it's fun to have the ability to easily do so in video game form.

Overall, I feel that HoI4 is getting a lot of undeserved hate simply because it isn't a total copy of HoI3 with slightly better graphics. Of COURSE the game is different - HoI3 already exists, there would be no point to making the same game again! HoI4 may be different, but that's by design, not by some unforeseen flaw, and it should be celebrated for the changes it made, not hated on.

Regards, your humble spymaster Roger a Muirebe

>watching a couple of turns
>turns
That isn't how it works, /v/eddit.

>get decreased width for infantry through doctrine
>now lower width, add one artillery
>20.2 width

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Would you happen to know what those are

look at the CANflavor and ENGflavor text files

>He fell for the 20 CW meme
>He fights only in plains

>Mosley ruling Britain never could have happened in reality
[citation needed]

Link?

what's a good ratio on your carriers? 50/50 fighters/naval bombers?

Can anyone confirm that France mememod is not compatible with new HPM?

why don't play the game and work it out for yourself instead of asking to be spoonfed?

tfw you realize that hearts of iron IV is the last hearts of iron.

Meant months sorry, was just hoping to get some advice on dealing with the UK, my navy and air-force are completely outmatched. Is my only hope to just build up until I have enough fighter and transports to do a mass invasion that way? They keep suiciding divisions into north France. They can't keep it up forever right?

>in the time it would take to answer him, you decided to be a douche instead

To be fair, he had no chance whatsoever in leading Britain after 1931, the New Party and the British Union of Fascists were the two worst mistakes he ever made, and by the time of his death even he recognised it

Well it's pretty much impossible to topple UK without a proper naval invasion. You can strike with paratroopers but they won't hold for long without reinforcements.

So your ultimate goal should be at least temporary naval superiority in the channel to get your troops across.

My strategy would be to aim my invasion somewhere in the region of 1945. Start focusing on your navy right now, researching at least destroyers and either carriers of battleships to the best you can get them at the moment.

While your navy is constructing turn your military factories towards fighters, naval bombers and if you are confident you can take them in the air also strategic bombers.

Once you have enough air start weakening their navy in the channel area with naval bombers which are quite effective.

In the meantime launch a land invasion to Brittish Raj to secure more resources (rubber) either with a small naval invasion from the Horn of Africa or trough Iran with either access or war.

Build up for few years and invade with Marines leading the way with Paratrooper support.

Heaven forbid, user! I guess I'll have to go and say some rosaries.

>he had no chance whatsoever in leading Britain after 1931
[citation needed]

He was doing as well as Hitler had been doing before 1929. Had the war not broken out, there would have been another economic crisis and Mosley could have won power.

Fuck that eternal anglo cunt

Entirely dependant on what you expect to fight and where.

That Aral Sea doesn't look good.

it's overflowing with the blood of dead soviets.

Why would you ever not want Open Borders?

>HPM new version is not compatible with save games
>I also have to delete cache anyway
>Choose to simply delete all of Victoria 2 folder in my documents
>It's 18 gb
How fucking big is one save of this game?

it has much better foundations for some cool mods, unlike hoi3

currently its shit but fixable

Why would you ever want open borders?

More pops are always better
Although closed borders does sound nice for a country like Russia or China

Thanks man, I currently have about 800 fighters to their 1200, so that should be possible to overcome eventually.

I have 38 dockyards which have just been working on those 2 BBs since the start of the game. Should I just be building more BBs or destroyers also? I remember BB/Destroyers or Carriers/Cruisers were the best combo in HoI3 right?

Also if I'm not asking too much how do I utilize subs correctly? Do I still want to split them up into small packs of 3/4 and just set them to partol?

And so it begins. My goal of the game was to unite all of scadinvia, reform the religion and make a merchant republic. With my first character (this guy's dad) he manage to find the kingdom of sweeden and reform the religion. He did right before he could have turned his tribe into a merchant republic. Any tips on how to build trade posts?

There was no way the war was going to be avoided, and the growth of parties like the KPD and NSDAP were reliant on a the Proportional system the German Parliament used, allowing smaller parties to gain representation, the British Union of Fascists never challenged a General Election, was in decline by 1936, and had no chance of making a breakthrough under the First Past the Post System which the House of Commons still uses to this day.

Mosley still perhaps had a chance in 1931, even after the collapse of the New Party both Labour and the Conservatives opened channels offering him their candidacy in upcoming by elections, his standing was damaged but no irreparable. The British Union of Fascists however was the final nail in the coffin, Mosley's respectable political allies deserted him (Forgan, Strachey, MacMillan, Bevan, Maxton, Dudgeon, etc) and left him in the wilderness with only a small group of former CPGB and Conservative members following him, with the worst comign to worst when a merger was agreed with the British Fascisti, allowing William Joyce, and Neil Francis Hawkins to take major roles in the party. It's simply delusional to believe Mosley had any chance of success post-resignation.

Not to mention there was no chance of Mosley leading a collaborationist government during the war either.

>More pops are always better

Debatable.

It's really not
The most populous country always does the best in V2, with the exception of China, which has tons of events and modifiers holding it back

>ignoring the fact that the monarchy was sympathetic to Mosley

If the war hadn't broken out, the next economic crisis would have led to Mosley being directly appointed PM.

Mussolini was appointed by the King, why not Mosley?

trying to find it. I saw that picture in a submod thread but the link went to a 404.
All I could find is Colonize Valyria and Green Valyria

First of January of 1936, after the celebration of the New Years, the government of the German Empire readies itself for another year full of doubt. An economic crisis is looming, the syndicalist countries of the West prepare themselves for an eventual war, and the influence of the Empire on the world at large is seemingly crumbling under its own weight.

Alright, can we put the memes aside for a moment and all agree that, for what it set out to do, HoI4 is a success? It gave us a WWII grandstrat free from all the archaic bullshit of Darkest Hour, and also much easier to get into then HoI3. Can anyone here honestly say they enjoy wasting an hour to fix their OoB every time they start a game of HoI3? Not to mention that, rather than needing to tediously micromanage industry like in other HoI games, HoI4's industry is both streamlined as well as more intuitive than the previous games. Yeah, it's true that HoI4 leads to more "ahistorical" scenarios, but isn't that the point? Why even bother playing the game if the outcome is predetermined form the start? Moreover, from a pure gameplay perspective, giving the player more options, whether they be historical or ahistorical, is a total success. Sure, Mosley ruling Britain never could have happened in reality, but it's fun to have the ability to easily do so in video game form.

Overall, I feel that HoI4 is getting a lot of undeserved hate simply because it isn't a total copy of HoI3 with slightly better graphics. Of COURSE the game is different - HoI3 already exists, there would be no point to making the same game again! HoI4 may be different, but that's by design, not by some unforeseen flaw, and it should be celebrated for the changes it made, not hated on.

Forgot to mention that put your civilian factories building more naval dockyards.

I think Carriers are honestly pretty OP and avoid using them too much for RP reasons myself. If you just want to win then build Carriers and probably just bunch of destroyers. I like to win in style so I use mixed fleets myself.

But ye continue on the battleships and ass you gain more production capacity add more destroyers and cruisers into the mix. A full 15 docks can produce more than 12 destroyers a year easily so you can afford to start more heavily on the BB's first.
As for the ships yes destroyers are very important both to counter the British air and also deal with their submarine harass. They are also nice for screening for your capital ships.

As for subs it's really up to what you want to achieve. Smaller stacks can deny more territory but larger stacks let trough less convoys in the areas you decide to occupy. Large stacks can sometimes even fight off small anti sub navies if you have the sub focused naval doctrines but that is secondary benefit really.

I would recommend placing large stacks of submarines on the main import routes like the Horn of Africa or the western approach. Smaller stacks to the other routes you might see them or other enemies using.
The closer you post them the more likely it is for the UK to come in and fuck your shit up though so balance the distance with the numbers you can afford to lose. Also use the convoy raiding with subs, you want them to focus on finding convoys and avoiding other battles.

Generally speaking though UK has so many convoys that unless you dedicate massively into harassing the trade you will never bother them too much. Just focus on surface ships instead and cut or minimize sub production for now.

>pirate HoI4
>play for a few hours
>graphics card is broken
Did Johan put some malicious code in to punish pirates or something?

Because the United Kingdom and Italy had too entirely different political systems? Because the political climates in Britain and Italy were entirely different?

There's no evidence to suggest Edward VIII was sympathetic to Mosley, yes the man was sympathetic to Hitler and his work in Germany, but that itself does not prove he supported the former Socialist Mosley. Not to mention Edward VIII had abdicated in 1936, and George VI was a rather apolitical king, the monarchy as an institution was not sympathetic to Mosley, I don't know where this nonsense you're spouting is from.

The British Union of Fascists would never have been able to secure a majority in the House of Commons, George VI would never have appointed Mosley as Prime Minister, and if such an event had occurred there would be a major political crisis, Mosley was on the political fringes by 1932 and had no way to return, just look at his failed postwar attempts to recover.

Mosley also specifically wanted to work within the law, so an event like the March on Rome was nigh on impossible, just because a Italian monarch appointed a Fascist Prime Minister; does not mean a British monarch would appoint a Fascist Prime Minister ignoring all other circumstance.

Is your card good?