Was the burning of the library of alexandria really that horrible for world history?

Was the burning of the library of alexandria really that horrible for world history?

Other urls found in this thread:

pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I dunno about history, but it was pretty awful for philosophy.

it's a fucking meme library

That makes tragedy even sadder.

Which time?

I know.

We will never know the ancient secrets of

R O M A
O L I M
M I L O
A M O R

The one people said Caesar did

All the memes lost
Like tears in the rain

It was an ancient house of learning, dedicated entirely to advancing knowledge, so yeah, probably. Things would be hell of alot easier for historians if it was never burned.

Our knowledge of the ancient world relies almost entirely on loosely (but confidently) pieced-together accounts of history. A treasure-trove of recorded data from the ancient times, which the library of alexandria held, would be invaluable to our understanding of history.

>Victrix brought 5 sheaths of wheat
>Augustus attended the local fair
>it was a good grain harvest this year

No, not really
Did it even exist?

What if it was like Veeky Forums? People brought in scrolls for others to read and it was literally all memes and shitposting

Every other scroll was about cucks or blacks

>ywn see the rarest of classical pepes

Why live?

Can you imagine ancient shitposting?

yes

pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm

II.2.3 (Bar of Athictus; right of the door); 8442: I screwed the barmaid

Exactly.
You even mentioned it in your post

>was a good grain harvest

just by having a library of harvest collections would allow us to see how the climate was back in ancient times and compare it to today, think of the benefit to Climate Change research.

VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1882: The one who buggers a fire burns his penis

Yes of course. Not only was the library a storehouse for scrolls of the western world but it was also a place of learning. A bastion of mathematics and neo Platonism was lost with its demise. Not only did we lose history and knowledge but we also lose an awareness of how much was lost. Even if faggots like do their best to down play this loss, it is still an essential part of history.

Thanks for the (You)
Going straight to my collection

We don't know how bad it was, but you would probably Discover a few plays, learn how the various social classes interacted, but it would probably be mediocre and you'd just get the classics spelt with a v instead of a u

Well technically meme is just a cool way to say "Infectous Idea" so in a sense, you are right

>A bastion of mathematics
We've certainly rediscovered everything that might've been lost by now

Fuck Plaonism anyway.
He fucking started the idea of a higher power in regard to the sciences that took hundreds over years for humanity to get past.
Plato (427/428 BC - 348/347 BC)
"The great anti-hero of evolutionism” - Ernst Mayr

Replaced spontaneous generation with a
creative power
- later
interpreted as the monotheistic god

Platonic ideas later embroiled in
Christian dogma

The first of many times in the history of biology where the mathematical or physical sciences exerted a harmful influence on the development of biology

I'm not sure we'd be too different if it hadn't, but all the historical knowledge we would have...

All we have now are glimpses and a few books.

At its peak, the Library contained nearly one million scrolls: plays by the great Athenian dramatists, annals of Homeric poetry, the schematics of Egyptian mechanics.

And all of it was burned to the ground by zealots.

Berossus' Babylonaica (written circa 281 BC)
The first volume describes everything between the creation of the world and the Great Flood

The works of Sappho (written circa 612-570 BC)

The works of Hero of Alexandria (written circa 10-70 AD)Endowed with mind-boggling mechanical genius, he invented steam engines, wind turbines and hydrostatic fountains millennia before these systems became commonly used. He even created automated machinery,but this is just the stuff we know about Hero. While thankfully, Arab scholars saved a portion of his works, we do not know the bulk of wonders discovered by this brilliant man.

The works of Hypatia (circa 370-415 AD)
Hypatia was a world-renowned mathematician, a fiery lecturer beloved by her thousands of pupils and a woman completely unashamed of outshining her male contemporaries. Literally all of Hypatia's writing was lost with her library, but we know she built hydrometers and astrolabes as well as improving upon the theories of such luminaries of Apollonius, Diophantus and Ptolemy

The works of Aristarchus of Samos (circa 310 230 BC): This one is the biggest heartbreaker of them all. Sometime in the 3rd Century BC, Aristarchus of Samos figured out that the Earth orbits the Sun, and not the other way around.

the survival of this book could have saved our species 18 centuries of looking like total idiots

oh god

but if we know what they said, isnt that enough

but would they have shared those books& knowledge?

i don't think the classical greeks would've had shit in the library that mentions prehistoric shit

Anti-Platonism is a fucking meme

Nah, Plato is the biggest meme of all of human history.

Someone should have burned his entire body of work when there was a chance.

No you're the real fucking meme mate

>Lose countless priceless works on history, philosophy and religion
>Is it a bad thing
Quit memeing yo

The only work that you need is a Quran.

Gave me a chuckle

Descartes is worse. Someone ought to have stopped that madman.

Because history is not about pining about lost shit and calling stuff "good" or "bad."

Simply put: to the real historian, the library of alexandria was destroyed. Period.. Just like how the holocaust happened.

Saying something is either good or bad means you have an agenda that is beyond history.

To the real historian the library was destroyed, and it was certainly a tragedy. Based on events like these we know not to destroy libraries and priceless pieces of history and philosophy, be they ruins or whatever.
So, to "the real historian", history is interpreted. I get what youre saying, that in history there are no absolutes, but things dont just happen and then get left in the past. The "agenda" is to better the present and future by learning from them.

I myself like coming to this bored to find interesting nuggets amoungst the piles of agenda shit

>Saying something is either good or bad means you have an agenda that is beyond history.

Historians are allowed to have these opinions, you know. You're just supposed to make an argument for why it's good or bad rather than twisting evidence (or straight lying) to suit your agenda.

>Copying your post from Sparknotes without crediting it
That's plagiarism

>Just like how the holocaust happened
|
|>
|

>Veeky Forums is not /pol/, and Global Rule #3 is in effect. Do not try to treat this board as /pol/ with dates. Blatant racism and trolling will not be tolerated

|
|
|
|

where the fuck did you get his shit from? reddit?

>based on events like these we know not to destroy libraries and priceless pieces of history and philosophy

unless you're ISIS

shalom rabbi
See you in temple

The destruction of the library wasn't some cataclysmic event. It happened gradually over a course of hundreds of years. The final time the library was burned, it was completely empty.

Why wouldn't a 'real' historian be upset at the loss of all these history?

We'd probably have sex robots by now if it hadn't been burned.

Your comment on this web page made me laugh pretty hard! LOL :-)

I think even if we had the library for longer we wouldnt have gained much

You're probably a complete morron for:
1. confusing platonism and neo-platonism
2. thinking either of them had a negligible influence on every single aspect of history, including philosophy, all occidental religions, litterature, all humanities, all sciences, popular thinking, politics, and everything that depends on these domains, including political decisions and their consequences

There was no "burning" of the library of Alexandria - there were various different incidents in which portions of the library caught fire, destroying the contents within.

The library faded into obscurity and irrelevance once Christianity became more and more prevalent and Alexandria's status as a center of philosophy and learning waned. By this time, the library was neglected, and had already lost a large portion of its scrolls.

Without the illuminating knowledge of the Library, a Dark Age descended.

Ok that is just history book bullshit.

>Nikola Tesla
>Alexandrian library
>Dark Ages

What are some other redditcore memes?

whats the most accurate drawing of interior of library of alexandria

Its an opinion, without the works of Aristarchus of Samos, people did not have the scientific knowledge to discern that the earth orbited the sun until Galileo

everyone goes on about it but it's not like we'd be in flying cars and shit if it was never destroyed

>tfw there will never be a microhistory of roman times
I ddidn't ask for this feel

>III.5.1 (House of Pascius Hermes; left of the door); 7716: To the one defecating here. Beware of the curse. If you look down on this curse, may you have an angry Jupiter for an enemy.

Is this the >your mom will die in her sleep meme?

Did romans have immunity puppers?

It was a catastrophic loss for us all.

The knowledge of the known world was held there.
How much more would we understand the classical world??

A Christian bishop demanded the destruction of the library.

That figures.

Why does everybody spaz out over the library of Alexandria but nobody gives a shit about the library of Constantinople which was destroyed during the sack of the City?

Olimar?

Because it's a big meme

plus athiests get to whine at christians even though Caesar had destroyed it before

"when the enemy endeavored to cut off his communication by sea, he was forced to divert that danger by setting fire to his own ships, which, after burning the docks, thence spread on and destroyed the great library." - Plutarch, Life of Caesar

If only the retards copied all the information on stone tablets like the Egyptians did, it would be centuries before humans had the tech to destroy stone tablets.

It's a big meme:

Although the various component parts of the physical library were destroyed, in fact the centres of academic excellence had already moved to various capital cities. Furthermore, it is possible that most of the material from the Library of Alexandria actually survived, by way of the Imperial Library of Constantinople, the Academy of Gondishapur, and the House of Wisdom. This material may then have been preserved by the Reconquista, which led to the formation of European Universities and the recompilation of ancient texts from formerly scattered fragments.[46]

Why wouldn't vast copies, or even originals, be important to history? The whole point of studying history is to educate, or at least spread truth. Even if the knowledge did survive, how could the destruction of copies be essentially meaningless? It's not like modern day where copies can be done in a few seconds. That shit took months, even years