Veeky Forums paintings

Favourite artwork and why?

why not?

This one

Lotta stuff going on in this one. Battlefield in center, cannons, cavalry and pikemen meet, soldiers locked in the embrace of death. Foreground, the dead and mangled, looted by a victorious enemy (note the empty purse). Right, a burning and plundered (barrels) town, murdered civilians, crows arrive to feast. Left, a soldier (likely the artist?) throws his head back and drowns himself in wine.

Why do you like yours OP?
>inb4 it looks kewl

why this and not any other of martin's work?

Maybe not my favorite, but I like this one quite a bit. It's eerie and beautiful, like most of Beksinski's work. I just really enjoy surrealism

His art is orders better than his historical research.

I wanna see what they saw, and wonder the things they wondered ;_;

What the fuck can you speak english please?

ok ok, we get it. you can't read

>that perspective

absolutely disgusting, no wonder he failed to get into art school twice.

:^)

The handprints are what gives me the feels.

The Explorer Rebuffed, by Jack Butler Yeats

Catarsis.

He was 23 years old when he drew that. Besides they rejected him because they wanted only freakish degenerate artists

>other artists make intentionally grotesque art and succeed
>Hitler tries to make photorealistic art and fails at it

>hurr durr my hideous looking art is good because I meant to make it hideous!

You know the fact that you intended it to be hideous and poor quality actually makes it much worse thinking about it

If my 6 year old drew this I would take smack them across the head

They saw sheep and goats and deer and plants.
They wondered what they could eat of all that.

I like this one because it was the first piece of visual art that scared me.

i bet they wondered other stuff too user

But they're all much better than him.

This painting captures the spirit of the Old Testament more than anything else I've ever seen. Christianity may have hunted the fairy tales of Europe to extinction, but the couldn't get rid of the Old Testament. This painting captures the awe and wonder of the Perilous Realm.

I remember seeing this picture as a child. Thanks for the memory. I used to analyze the shit out of this picture yet never felt like I figured it out.

The incomprehensibility is what makes it magical.

>egon schiele
>bad

I'll always have a soft spot for Monet because I'm an emotional, idealistic faggot.

I love Tullio Crali's work in general for the dynamism his paintings capture. His depictions of flight fascinate me.

his head looks like a penis

they don't call it the cockpit for nothing, son.

... because it´s fun from the year 1860: a bored arty caught at needleworks

Max Ernst

Shit that guy at the top right has some sweet gains.

>*Films stops*
>"See that poor schlub up there?"
>"Yup, that's me!"
>"You're probably wondering how I wound up in this situation..."
>"Well, it's a funny story. It all started when..."
>*Tape rewind*

This. You can see the difference in the weaponry between the natives and the conquerers, but that they still struggled to break them, the religious symbols boosting the morale. All of it seems so accurate to how it was

Goya's villa paintings should all be considered one work, but this is probably my favorite.

Futurist?

I like this one. Boys will be boys, just having a laugh.

This one.

I like it as well but it's simply a drawing of a picture, not as much into it as an original drawing

>two wrist watches

Devilish.

I read somewhere that the second wrist watch was actually a compass. Can't member where, but even if it was stolen, who cares. Every army ever has looted and its not like the Germans didn't look Soviet cities.

Eh, I don't judge. If I was a russian soldier and the german felt entitled to my land, I'd also feel entitled to his wrist watch, his wife's jewelry and his daughter's virginity.