How much of todays crime is drug related? Most of it...

How much of todays crime is drug related? Most of it? Most criminal syndicates revolve around drug importing and manufacturing.

I remember reading somewhere that during the prohibition era alchahol cartels in mexico would do what they are doing today with the drug cartels (very violent practices) some of these cartels are now legitimate buissnesses as the prohibition was ended.

When will governments realise drug use is not a crime, but a mental health issue and an illness. When will they stop punishing these peoples with the same degree as murderers and kidnappers?

What would the world look like if all illicit drugs were no longer illicit?

>inb4 everyone would be on drugs
That's wrong. There are people who don't drink and smoke. I know people who grew up most of their lives in Amsterdam but have never tried weed as they see the negative effects as worse than the positives. Drugs do not suddenly make everyone want to do drugs.

There is also the huge postivie of them being billion dollar industries, even on the black market. Legal drugs = less taxes, so long as the govt's successfully regulate that is.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition
thefix.com/content/chocolate-and-heroin-trigger-similar-brain-reaction90668
vegsource.com/sarah-taylor/heroin-and-chocolate.html
forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2013/10/16/research-shows-cocaine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/#1e96b84f4b7b
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Drugs should be legal. State has no right to protect you from yourself, and drug control is a resounding failure.

>crime is drug related
>solution is to have more drugs

???

This is like the condom argument

If, hypothetically, widespread drug abuse were to have a large negative societal impact, than the state has a responsibility to intervene.

>Alcoholl made illigeal
>crime around Alcohol sky rockets
>Alchahol made legal again
>crime around Alcohol dramatically drops

Are you serious? How do you not see that most of the people who get in trouble for drug use get in trouble for taking/selling/creating. If you legalize it, most of that goes away as you can easily procure your drugs legally.

Are you an idiot? I mean it's been historically tried and tested to NOT FUCKING WORK. So yeah, let's continue with abroken system.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition

>widespread drug abuse were to have a large negative societal impact, than the state has a responsibility to intervene.

Yes, but we haven't even been allowed to see what would happen. The crime has been punished before it even began to take form.

>This is like the condom argument

What's that?

Hypothetically, yes. But this is just fear mongering. Every time drugs are decriminalized, drug abuse has gone down. Don't let the poisonous alcohol industry scare you.

There is no rational reason to outlaw drug use, it's all fear. If you're the poorest man on planet earth, at least you should own your own flesh and blood.

Teen sex is a problem so give everyone free condoms

Prohibition was started by Jews in the government so they could make money on their black market alcohol

>you can do drugs without being a criminal and it's cheaper
>expect use to go down
>hurr industry is good for the economy even if it sells drugs because it's industry!
>mental health issue
>being a scumbag idiot is an illness!! I am a victim and deserve insurance covered treatment!

>>Teen sex is a problem so give everyone free condoms

But this is actually a good idea?

also the holocaust didn't happen and britain caused WW2

>my subjective opinion refutes objctive logic
Rightio.

>Prohibition was started by Jews in the government
Holy fuck, kill yourself. WHy the fuck would you use cancerous terminology?
>THE JEWS DID IT!!!

Holy shit. Don't even bother replying, I already forgot you existed.

In dollars? Most of it.

All those dollars could literally be spent on schools, on reducing drug use, but for some reason the western world insists on subsidising cartels.

I mean like, decriminalizing is something that I can get behind. But I'm not sure how i feel about my corner store selling meth. You know what I mean?

>for some reason

Because there needs to be some pretext to have a large state coercion apparatus.

You must agree that there needs to be a legal means to access every recreational drug.

It doesn't have to be at the store, but there has to be some way to get it without giving money to a drug dealer.

Decriminalisation is better for drug users to avoid harassment or ending up with an addiction, but still subsidises the cartels.

>but still subsidises the cartels.
If decriminilization were to occur the cartels would cease to exist and proper buissness pracitces would occur. As what happened with prohibition.

The problem with stimulants is that continued use, even at consistent doses under safe conditions, results in mental degeneration.

For this category of drugs, the interventions that make the most economic sense are cracking down on production, education to prevent people from taking them, and treatment of addicts.

you couldn't be more Yiddish

Decriminalisation is a different thing from legalisation.

If it's decriminalised for use, possession, and production, that's probably 90% of the problem solved. Most people would just grow weed and that would be it.

If it's legalised, then the cartels would be frozen out entirely.

Okay, so don't use them too much.

You can educate people about it, but it will always be a problem if you intervene by making the addict a criminal.

Yeah we don't have cartels in my country. Just bogans cooking bathroom shard in shitty country towns.

I can't morally agree with providing legal access to that kind of drug. IMO if you regulated the marijuana and disco biscuit industries, meth use would likely decrease. Just speculation though.

Well, cracking down on addicts actually does work.

It reduces demand, which eliminates the market.

It's just that most western countries don't want to actually crack down on the users.

Now cracking down on sellers and traffickers, that doesn't work.

Hitting the manufacturers and the consumers directly does.

I think the argument would be to criminalize selling, distributing and cooking, but decriminalizing recreational usage.

>You must agree that there needs to be a legal means to access every recreational drug.
No I don't.

>It doesn't have to be at the store, but there has to be some way to get it without giving money to a drug dealer.
No there doesn't.

>Decriminalisation is better for drug users to avoid harassment or ending up with an addiction, but still subsidises the cartels.
You're right. We should give the addicts and junkies holistic treatment based upon their needs and individual ailments that seeks to cure the underlying issues that lead them to drugs in the first place. Drug usage is a symptom of a larger disease, and treating the underlying cause of the drug usage will lead to people being happier, healthier, and will keep them from going right back to drugs.

Drug dealers can get kicked to death and buried in shallow graves of course for selling poison.

That is giving the market to cartels.

>Drug dealers can get kicked to death and buried in shallow graves of course for selling poison.

Like publicans?

But Biggie had to sell crack to feed his daughter remember. Its all the system mannnnnn.

Biggie can get kicked to death and buried in a shallow grave then.

Obviously, people should be taught from a young age how to properly use alcohol in a manner that is fun, healthy, and not destructive. People should also look out for each other and stop their fellow bar goers from hurting themselves.

But of course things like, meth, heroin, and cocaine are far more destructive than alcohol, so we should focus on getting meth, heroin, and cocaine (You know, the things I cannot imbibe in regularly without a guarantee of hurting myself) off the streets first before we dive into booze.

>If it's legalised, then the cartels would be frozen out entirely.
That's entirley wrong. They would have all the supply and demand on a newly created market.

They become legal.

or he could have gotten a job like millions of people in America

>i wuz jus trine feed mah keedz

>Obviously, people should be taught from a young age how to properly use alcohol in a manner that is fun, healthy, and not destructive. People should also look out for each other and stop their fellow bar goers from hurting themselves.

That's how to deal with recreational drugs.

>But of course things like, meth, heroin, and cocaine are far more destructive than alcohol, so we should focus on getting meth, heroin, and cocaine (You know, the things I cannot imbibe in regularly without a guarantee of hurting myself) off the streets first before we dive into booze.

At least two of those examples are not more destructive than alcohol. Meth is probably worse. Coke and heroin are as bad as the market is; legal market they'd be safe enough, illegal market they're dangerous.

Nah, you're thinking too American man. The problem is your peoples system has no alternative for the young and hopeless but to acquire currency in order to compete/survive in a free market economy.

How?

And if they go legal and don't break any laws, then they're just businesses.

And the Americans could buy the whole crop every year if they wanted, and destroy supply in that way.

They've decided to allow the cartels to control the trade instead.

We really needed to create an occupation authority for Afghanistan like we did for Germany and Japan.

The Northern Alliance simply wasn't capable of governing.

>And if they go legal and don't break any laws, then they're just businesses.
That's literally what I have said over and over. It's what happened with Cartels and Prohibition. It's actually in my OP, if you bothered to read it.

>coke and heroin aren't as bad as alcohol
I'm just going to assume you're memeing with heroin, but seriously?

Holistic solutions. The free market is fine. Making it the end all be all of your life is not.

>I'm just going to assume you're memeing with heroin, but seriously?

Heroin is just an opiate. If it's not cut with anything, it's about the least damaging drug there is.

It's dangerous because of the possibility of addiction. Alcohol is dangerous for this reason too, and more dangerous than heroin, alcohol withdrawal can kill you. Keep hydrated and heroin withdrawal will not.

>Alcohol is dangerous for this reason too
Wehn talking about addiction there is another legal drug just as bad. Multiple actuallly.

Choclate has been proven to be as if not more addictive than Heroin, that's on a biological level.

thefix.com/content/chocolate-and-heroin-trigger-similar-brain-reaction90668
vegsource.com/sarah-taylor/heroin-and-chocolate.html
forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2013/10/16/research-shows-cocaine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/#1e96b84f4b7b

It's funny how these discussion, although they are revolvoing around illicit drugs, there are many drugs out there that are legal and almost never discussed, choclate being one.

you need a militarized border to curtail smuggling if you decriminalize properly, it is what Iran does and afghanistan is basically their mexico

Addictive drugs do not work properly in the free market because they artificially self induce demand while providing little utility. Drugs are bad economics.

>Drugs are bad economics.
But the 80's were full of cocaine

But it would be the state that defines what 'widespread drug abuse' is. No, this is just another way for the state to increase it's power.