/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

Team Rocket edition (last thread: )

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads:
Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/documentation/getting-started/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jl54WZtm0QE
youtube.com/watch?v=HH_iaJairW8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_fill
docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/physics/soft body particles/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jessie, my anime waifu. How am I suppose to dev now?

Well I'm still looking at making the boss have a second attack.

is her eyes pixelated?

>girl skeletons
Give them bone boobs.
Completely disregard human anatomy and give male skeletons a boner.

Is there any free way to compile .fla into .swf? I don't want to go through the hassle of acquiring a version of Flash when it's just the Actionscript files I'm editing.

Progress:

Added a ship core thing that you're supposed to shoot/protect depending on if it's yours.

There's now a tron line texture that only turns on if it's connected to a core. You can use this to tell at a glance if parts are still attached to a ship. In the future you'll only be able to assimilate unpowered parts, so this is pretty important.

I'm not him, but thanks for the link!
However I'm still sort of confused. The part about drawing tilesets are nice and meaningful, yet I fail to see the thought process behind it. What I mean is: how could one figure it out? How did someone see that if he puts dark green dots, green dots and light green dots on top of each other they'll give the impression of grass if viewed from a distance? I know that drawing is an illusion itself (creating a 3D environment on a 2D plane), yet it looks like to me that pixel art requires much more "magic" than that. I don't see how can anyone come up with this stuff without examining actual pixel art, but that sorta makes me question why people here suggest to learn drawing first if drawing basically requires to examine the real word around you? How does the one translates to the other?

This looks great, how and where did you learn to draw like this? I'm only good at pixelart

There are alternate compilers out there. I don't know if they use .fla exactly or what.

>supposed to shoot/protect depending on if it's yours.
No allies? Aw..

Yeah, eyes are mostly a placeholder because they will have a small gradient effect that I'll do later. Posting flipped version so people don't break their necks and it's a little bit smaller to hide all the imperfections too.

Dunno if I could complain about qt petities girls.

>Are her breasts too big?

You dumb fucking pedophile. That's a good size. Most video game tits are to either side of the most common sizes for some reason.

Thanks! To be honest I loved drawing since I'm a kid so I have been doing it all those years, so I guess is mostly due to practicing a lot, since I never took classes on it either. I have good and bad days anyway, some days I'll draw stuff that looks really good to me, and other days I'll draw really shitty stuff that I end hating and deleting later.

One day she'll grow up to become a fine woman.

Her smile makes me happy. I think your game is a fine example when the dev's love to his creation clearly shows.

>Those fucking Venezuelans have already made ~$15k from steam sales alone, and it's only been a day since launch

They stay that way then, until happens, I guess.

I'm really glad I can make someone happy with my game. And yeah, I have to admit I really love doing this stuff. I will invest more effort and love on it so it keeps growing and improving.

I want to make a game but I'd rather cry myself till I sleep please help

Sweet dreams.

Just make Insomnia Simulator 2K16.

>Homosuck falls into infinite hiatus mode
>All the fans that hopped along for the memes, cosplay, fanart, RP, etc start jumping ship
>Toby "Radiates talent" Fox sees and opportunity to finally escape Hussie's basement after all those years
>Keeps things like Megalovania to attract the Homosuck audience since he gained so much praise for his music there
>All the previously mentioned fans ll the fans hop on for the memes, cosplay, fanart, RP, etc
>Makes a game that proceeds to print money and overshadows anything Hussie ever made

>They stay that way then, until (You) happens, I guess.
Won't happen for at least hundreds of years. Bloodrayne was born half-vampire in 1915 (although probably retconned to the middle ages if we count the movies) and she hadn't aged a day from her first game in WWII up to the early 2000s in her second game. I imagine full-blooded vamps like loli vampire-chan take even longer to age.

eternal lolis are the best kind of lolis

>eternal headpats

>loli
Really? Is a loli? She looks at least 16 to me, if not 20.

I thought lolis were just girls that looked young with flat chests

If we originate the definition from Nabokov's book, Lolita, then lolis are young girls at the start of their puberty, so around the age of 12-14.

I think there's another word for what you mean, but I don't remember it.

Here's more or less how I do it. I think it's the most common and simplest method, but I could be wrong.
Basically, build your level out of basic blocks: collision/solid, jump-through platform, etc.
Then place tiles on top of them, and finally hide the basic blocks during the game.

Hey there HSG. AGDG says hi.

>Meanwhile in /agdg/@nite

I hope you're ready for Space Jam. What kind of game are you going to make?

(Forgot pic.)

By the way, GM:Studio's room editor lets you scale and resize instances after you place them; this helps a little with performance (a long 1x6 solid block is better than six 1x1 blocks in a row). I'm using GM 8.0, so I can't do that, but you, however, should.

Petite is generally the word that's used.

I'm not making any because I am a bad person, user.

How do I script speed/velocity deceleration in gamemaker? I've tried,
nokey = motion_add(image_angle, -0.25);
but that just makes it travel inversely down the x axis

Holy shit you replaces the stickman with a cute girl? I love you man.

>tfw summer
>sun is up all day and all night
>i'm light sensitive
>sleep depraved all the time
Whyy.
Desert bus but in space.

Alright I'm fucking stumped.

Presume you have this 2D level, right? And each tiles can be water, can be a wall or some shit and so on.

How the FUCK do you make some water physics that's fast and efficient and does the job?

My code is checking for all the adjacent tiles to determine if the water tile should move there.
But it's not fast code, at least not fast enough.

I've been googling for different implementations of this but I didn't find anything that fit the bill.

I have no fucking idea how to do this. Friends, please help?

YOU CAN CHANGE THAT user

JUST

DO IT

With current space travel speed or sci-fi light speed?

>light speed
user that'd be very lame. You couldn't see anything.

I'm just gonna pack the universe dense with procedural generated graphics and effects. I don't really care for what speed it is. Maybe you can set it in the options.

Maybe you can edit the units manually since it's literally just a string.
>not cruising by meter-sized stars at 100's of mm per second

Wait, you mean, you want water to pour or something? There's a reason why there's no 'actual' water in games but textures and areas where the character sprite changes to imitate swimming.

The best liquid modeling I've seen was in Portal 2.

Do you check every frame or on block updates?

What's better?
>if(X && Y) { }
or
>if(X) if(Y) { }

What exactly is a 'demo' anyways? Do we submit a compiled version of our game? or is it some kind of stream that will have an user playing a demo of our submitted games? Are first timers allowed to submit entries? I'm making an asteroid shooter as my first game to test my skills, but I don't know if it'd be allowed or not

&&
Equivalent performance. Easier to read.
Take that to /dpt/ though.

Demo day is for posting in-progress builds that you feel represent where a big project is going, jams are just short periods where you put out a finished if small project based on a theme.

user the only rule is to JUST LIKE MAKE (space-themed) GAME so of course you're allowed.

>making tilebased 2D game
>in GM
>concerns himself with performance.
Why?
Just how bad is GM?
What features do I need to make an attractive engine to compete with it?
I can make tons of tutorials and stuff without issue but I'm just not sure what features appeals to gamemaker people. The scripting language is restricted to their engine. Surely it's not that nice? The code blocks you can use seem very limited and you'd quickly run into problems.

I've heard that XNA was very successful just because of its asset pipeline. Gamemaker has something similar right?
Everyone that comes here are allowed. People generally call you a whodev if you haven't posted progress here before though.

&&

oh alright, thanks for clearing it up

Yes, sort of like this. I'm assuming this is completely unlike what you meant.
This is way back when what I had didn't even work properly, it's just the only gif I have that fits into Veeky Forums size limit.

Yes.

Make an eularian simulation system ().
youtube.com/watch?v=Jl54WZtm0QE
It's not hard.
youtube.com/watch?v=HH_iaJairW8
And no it's not overkill to any water-system.

>Why?
Game maker is great for 2D
>Just how bad is GM?
Not really that bad, you don't have perfomance issues until you have near 1k of objects shitting particles everywhere. And if you need that ridiculous amount of things on screen, you can easilly do it without using that many objects and without compromising your performance.
If someone has huge fps drops on a 2D GM game you have a 90% of chances that they accidentaly have an object being created every tic and that is what is fucking with their game.

Added a blink ability. The distance of the blink is the size of the snake.

Is non-Cube enemies (replace the cube spiky guys from before that didn't have animations) better for Bokube as well?

Holy shit that looks so cool.
I think you should check this, but you seem like you've already done that:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_fill

If you want to give up on realism, then maybe you can do something they did in most SNES games: have a simple blue layer, and raise-low that based on the water level.

If this has no purpose game play wise, then there's no point to implement it other than showing off your skills.

I've seen your game a lot but I still don't understand how it works.

You need to remove that blur or whatever occurs when rotating the camera. Gamers hat that sort of thing

YES

I'd love to but there's not really any tutorials for retards. I know what the Lagrangian and Eulerian method entail but that's doing me no good.

Snake x a tactics game
But I'm just testing move sets right now

Is there any website with concept arts and shit, I wanna practice modelling?

From your gif it looks like the water cells collide with each other? Maybe it would be better to give them a density. Like, as the water pours down it emits cells of density 1 over and over, and once they hit the bottom they start to collide, but when the collide they increase the density and a cell disappears and the density of the cell it collided with gets incremented. But if their is a neighbour that is non-collision and lower density (including 0) to the cell, it takes some of that density.

That should cause the water to spread right? Just an idea.

Alternatively, if the pouring is continuous and the geometry is non-moving, once I tile is water it's never gonna be not water again, right? So you could remove it from the update targets and ignore it, just assuming it's water. Or come up with some rules around when to ignore it and when not to eg. turn the cell off if it's nearest non-water neighbour is over X distance away and turn all your neighbours within range X back on if they're off and you have a non-water neighbour. Maybe something like that would help with performance?

>rising blue layer
Right, that's an option, though completely useless to me. I even tried to figure out some system with a multitude of set rectangles that can get filled with water independently, but even that isn't good enough.
Actual, flowing water is the absolute must for gameplay purposes.
The gameplay is basically running from water, barricading against water etc.

Thanks for your help, user, but I included the gif merely as to show the rough concept of what I'm trying to accomplish.You should pay it no attention beyond that. I'm trying to figure out some new approaches, it doesn't even have to be tiles, just so the water would work.

>density
Was actually of one ways of doing it, yes.

If everything else fails, I'll remake the current system with more insight in actually making things run smooth and efficient from the computational standpoint, along with your input, anons. But first I'd like to see if there are any other approaches. As the other guy said, Eulerian and Lagrangian simulation are both an option but I'm a fucking retard and there are no tutorials on how to actually do it from the scratch for me.

I see, that's a neat idea.

Another thing which you might want to try is the A* path finding algorithm.

Form your gif, I assume that each block of water behaves as some sort of entity which wants to find his way to the ground. After one water block is in place, then you add that to your map and it'll behave just like a wall which has to be avoided by the upcoming water entity.

Got the basics of a second attack for the boss.
Needs some refinement as he eventually spins off to the right of the screen.

Need to re-center him after each attack.

Will add some laser-y texture and make him rotate in a different direction for each attack.

docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/physics/soft body particles/index.html
GM Studio has soft body simulation engine, you can use it if you want "realistic" fluid simulation

Going down is only one of three directions.
It's basically:
>Check if down is blocking
>If not, move there, if yes, randomly decide on left or right, check there
>same with the opposite direction
It doesn't stop but merely pauses (in later version I think after 10 ticks) when it can't find a way forward. If this wasn't possible, with your approach if you removed a wall, the water would just stay there.

What you're seeing in the gif is when the water can as well go up, which is the wrong approach.
There are some other systems like pressure, trying to alleviate .

In large part, it's the coding that's making this slow, I think, but again, I'm looking for different approaches to the problem. I need some insight from outside of the box.

For those who use C++: do you use pointers? I see they could make a difference in performance in a huge AAA title, but is it necessary to get used to them in a simple 2D side scroller?

This looks so much like starsector that it seems like you stole everything from them

va-11 hall-a has no keys

Don't forget you're not here forever.

passing pointers around can reduce performance

it is faster to have a global variable array and pass around indexes into that array because then it is always accessing the same memory

but if you build with whole program optimization then it depends because sometimes the compiler can make pointers still fast when

If it's possible, please add even more debris, even if it's just particles.

You don't need to check it every frame and for every piece of water right, only when something changes and only in the vicinity of that change.

>gamers hat motion blur
what?

Some things can't be solved without pointers. But you should learn to use smart pointers over raw pointers since you have the chance.

Need pointers for muh polymorphism

&&

or

and

?

I personally prefer 'and' because in GM it shows up in a different color.

Tired of doing GM:S tutorials, I wanna do something from scratch but I have no idea how.

Literally does not matter

What tutorials did you do so far? And what is your goal?

I've also been starting and did a bunch of tutorials too. I'd say learning is great but now you gotta ask yourself what is your goal exactly, and what do you want to do. "How do I do this?" then do it or find the solution to do it, repeat until game is done. That's I'm envisioning it.

I've done some basic stuff to make a top down game, though my problem is if I don't go back and watch it again I forget a lot of how I did it after a while. I feel like the best way to learn would be to figure this stuff out on my own

progress
updated UI, now i can modify it as i like
added "clarity" - targeting mode now highlights allies and enemies, dealing damage and healing shows the numbers now, you can see current unit's statistics now
added a unit for testing (actually 4, each of unit's spells summons different unit)
all above's going to be redone many times in the future

I've been looking for ages as to how to implement melee combat in a side scroller (like in Castelvania) and I still can't find a thing.

Do you know any tutorials that would help with that?

Raycast from character to end of the length of his weapon when the animation happens. if yes, the other guy takes damage

Yes, it is. You don't want to be passing textures by value and having them copied unnecessarily, you don't want to be loading resources like sounds any more than you need to.

Keep a static map of your textures and such, and make sure that everything only gets loaded once, when it is required.

You can pass by reference too for when you need to pass player objects or characters, or any big class, etc, to functions

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see how that works. Hopefully my skills haven't deteriorated too much in the few months I stopped.

Glad to know that they have their own containment general now.

Heartbeast RPG series?

Well first you can't expect to learn something completely new in a day, learning takes times. Those people doing tutorials themselves aren't pro or anything, they're actually learning as well by teaching others. Other than that yes you're probably right in saying you should do something on your own to learn, I've felt the same.

Tutorials are good and all but until you actually jump into the pool without anyone holding your hand you won't get anywhere. I've felt that way towards pixel art tutorials as well, or even art in general.

Shaun has tutorials on this I believe? Otherwise you could look at Heartbeast's RPG series; it's top/down but the logic behind it shouldn't be different, just tweak the code to your liking so it applies to a sidescroller. It shouldn't be complicated at all.
Sorry I can't be more specific as I'm working on a top/down game myself.

Added a tank to replace that cube static cannon enemy projectile shooter stuff.

If you die your camera locks so you cant pan it left or right anymore and a failure message at the top of the screen appears.

Going to be working on that cube cat in the box you can see in this webm as well. Hoping to make the cube cat in the box give the player dialogue when the player gets nearby for example the games controls.

Spalding? I haven't checked on him since his took his Patreon down.

And it looks like he has something here. Thanks for pointing me in his direction again.

Loomis is fun

Yes!

if i ever finish a game, would you play it?

Does that mean that when I do something like this:
int x=1;
someFunction(x);
It will create a copy of x?

So I should rather do this:
int x=1;
someFunction(&x);
void someFunction(int *x){etc.}
So I pass the address of the variable which will get dereferenced in the actual function?

Add people falling out of the ship