/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog general. Let's talk about Sonic games, old and new, and the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, etc.

/sthg/ #481 - 25th Anniversary Edition

25 years of Sonic!

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/Developments
Sonic: Mega Drive First Look, Sequel Revealed
sonicstadium.org/2016/06/first-look-at-sonic-mega-drive-1-reveals-sequel/

Sonic Boom Fire & Ice E3 Trailer
sonicstadium.org/2016/06/sonic-boom-fire-ice-e3-trailer/

Sonic 25th Anniversary CD-DVD Set Revealed
sonicstadium.org/2016/06/sonic-25th-anniversary-cddvd-revealed-detailed/

Sonic 25th Anniversary Joypolis Party to be Livestreamed
sonicstadium.org/2016/06/sonic-25th-anniversary-joypolis-party-to-be-live-streamed/

Runners is Dead.
sonicstadium.org/2016/05/sonic-runners-shutting-down-next-month/

Sonic is joining the cast of LEGO Dimensions!
siliconera.com/2016/06/09/sonic-hedgehog-joins-lego-dimensions/

New Classic Sonic figurine revealed!
sonicstadium.org/2016/06/classic-sonic-25th-anniversary-figurine-announced/

>Recent Releases

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/745728872352649218
youtube.com/watch?v=AzBxs09FKxg
youtube.com/watch?v=3z2Q8maJTOo
youtube.com/watch?v=KV-BvUDHH6o
youtube.com/watch?v=2qjuewAZopM
youtube.com/watch?v=eAZjXJNVTmA
youtube.com/watch?v=QNXXlqP4_9c
youtube.com/watch?v=LNsGT2Pjug8
youtube.com/watch?v=MuVAaU63K7k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Are you older than Sonic, /sthg/?

Yeah.

No.

Maybe.

Sally is just overused, and the rest of the freedom fighters are getting into that territory as well. But I guess that's unavoidable now that "everyone else" has been relegated to their own separate comic series.

>Super Mario 64 came out on the very same day as Sonic's 5th anniversary
>celebrates its 20th tomorrow
>a Mario anniversary and a Sonic one on the very same day

>. But I guess that's unavoidable now that "everyone else" has been relegated to their own separate comic series.
The weird part is that for characters like Shadow, Knuckles, Silver, and Blaze, that's literally the best thing that could happen to them, since that way they don't have to constantly tie into whatever Sonic's doing and can have entire 4 part story arcs to themselves

Archie should've stuck with this and kept Sally dead tbqh

Yeah, Nicole is shockingly uninteresting in a franchise with nothing but top tier AIs. Even that black mass with a mask has shown more personality in five pages than Nicole has in 20 years.

Imagine if they actually did this, X-treme was actually released, and Tiara "what everyone thinks Sally is like except played straight" Boobowski became a comic regular.

>Sonic being dealt the finishing blow with his rival's successful jump to 3D on his birthday

DEEPEST

Come on, comics even caved in and brought back Barry. Sally would be back by issue #70 no matter what, especially once sales started to dip, just like Robotnik.

BUT FIRST

But it wasn't Robotnik, it was Robo-Robotnik Warlord Julian II from Alternate zone Penders what was wrong with just bringing the original back you loon/

More specifically the SATAM crew, current and future WhoIsThatOC fit in quite well and are arguably the best part about the post-reboot.

>But it wasn't Robotnik, it was Robo-Robotnik Warlord Julian II from Alternate zone Penders what was wrong with just bringing the original back you loon/
That one was on Bollers though. Penders at this point was entirely wrapped up with Knuckles

Yeah, by two months.

But I liked the idea of a Robotnik winning, and moving to another dimension to win again. It's a very intimidating notion, like when he finally succeeds he'll just kill everyone and move on like nothing even happened.

Well that explains it, surely nothing good can ever come out of Penders.

tfw Sonic is quarter of a decade old

>decade

25 in August. So just barely younger.

>tfw lived to see the rise of video games

Man, it's been one hell of a ride.

I can agree with this, though it is nice to see Rotor and Bunnie not completely fucking sidelined for once.

I'm almost tempted to suggest they should do what they did in old British anthology comics. Whereby you have 3 pages focusing purely on one or two characters, rather than have characters give exposition use text boxes and thereby allow the dialogue and page space to be given over to action and character development. That way you could have several co-currently running stories from each character's POV.

That is of course a rather radical change to make, however I really do think that the comic would really benefit from having larger exposition text boxes. The fact that we've spent so much time in the past few issues having characters spell out who they are and what they're doing, or even just what part of the world they're in and what the situation there is just slows the action and character interaction down.

Goddamnit Bollers.
I'm sure the man's a nice guy and all but he's responsible for a lot I hate in the comics.
>this
>Julian coming back for a real shit story
>We can't bring him back now lol

There's more but these two will annoy me for the end of time.

It's not bad as an idea, and I agree with you on that, it's also what Scourge did without all the murder, but it was the whole "MORE EVIL THAN JULIAN EVER WAS" schtick that got to me.
I liked Julian.

Rotor fills like 5 nichés so he's always a good addition, but I fail to see the point of Bunnie being around. Being able to kick ass is sort of underwhelming since everyone seems to be able to do that nowadays.

The Nintendo and Sega twitters are going at it and I'm loving it.

twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/745728872352649218

>Being able to kick ass is sort of underwhelming since everyone seems to be able to do that nowadays.
She's incredibly versatile. She can fly fast, has super strength, lasers, and shields, so she can fill a decent number of combat roles. In terms of combat ability, she's just below Sonic

Nicole discovering what it was like to be real was interesting enough. Along with her being in control of the city and consequences that came with that.

It's just recently that she's had nothing really interesting going on and has mostly stagnated or regressed while most of the other Freedom Fighters improved.

>quarter of a decade
You mean century, user. Century.

>Rotor fills like 5 nichés
That's actually been the biggest problem with his character since he was created. He's always stepping on someone else's niche. Right now it's the biggest problem with Nicole, because you can't give her an interesting and logical character on account of Rotor already filling it.

That video SEGA put of Shadow spinning is great

I thought it was the opposite for most of his existence. Why do you think they literally had him leave for a good 20 issues back in Bollers' run? Tails and Morgan Freeman filled the tech niche and by the time he came back, there were 20 more that did that. What do you think Ian's treatment of him entailed? Trying to find a role that Rotor could fucking fit that wasn't already filled

Love you guys but if lines are being drawn in the sand again, I have to join the enemy.

Big fan of his "being a bitter fuck", "Mr. pragmatic" and "calling out Sally on her shit" niches though.

Nicole and Rotor should be removed from the main cast tbqh.
Rotor is just Tails with less shota and more daddy issues.
Nicole is just there.

TRAITOR

it's almost 1am give me a break

>4th game vs 1st game
Nice

Same here. Best part is that you can still see a bit of his father in him, whether he's willing to acknowledge it or not
Rotor has more of a personality than Tails at this point. Then again Tails has barely had a personality since what, Riders? Zero Gravity?

I know it's bait, but Spring Yard Act 2 hast 2 exits.

I was never on your side to begin with

Enjoy your inferior Aladdin

kek that pic is so ironic

Here comes a new challenger

>removing rotor
Like says, he's the only one who owns the pessimistic side.
>WE NEED TO SAVE THE WORLD
>But Sally the complications, the manpower, the time needed I don't think we can get Monday off-
>BUT THE GOOD OF THE WORLD
>It's not possible Sally we're up to our knees in debt and we can't even reach-
etc

Also the parent figure.

Nicole needs sorting out but I'm sure we'll get there with Phage on the go.

It does?

If they ever do consider killing off someone of the main cast, it probably should be one of those two.

>Same here. Best part is that you can still see a bit of his father in him, whether he's willing to acknowledge it or not

Oh shit, I totally didn't pick up on that. I thought of it the other way around, since the father is the new character.

>mfw Rotor is practically a reformed villain

Sonic 2 and CD are better.

If I had to deal with Sally 24/7 I'd drink as much coffee as Rotor does too
Yeah. Rotor's pragmatism and might makes right mentality are things he picked up from daddy, and going back to older issues where he talks about just stealing the emerald makes this obvious.

How?
Sonic 3K has speed, exploration, platforming at it's best
It has the best levels (Hydrocity, Ice Cap, Flyig Battery, Lava Reef, Sky Sanctuary, Angel Island, Mushroom Hill, etc)
It has the best soundtrack
It has the best visuals
It has the best special stages
It has 3 awesome bonus stages for power-ups and getting 500+ rings
It has the best boss battles
It has a save feature
What does Sonic 2 or CD have that can beat that?

>best soundtrack
But 3&K's soundtrack is the worst of the classics

Nah it's only topped by jap CD

Same, I just can't think of anything for Nicole that makes sense with her being a hologram that doesn't step on Rotor's current character.

In the cartoon and early comics she was the sassy one, but now she's just there and boring.

It does.
The upper exit is the one with the special ring. It requires a well timed jump from the ramp to be reached, and you have only one chance.

You're wrong.

Posting two games is cheating!

So does Starlight Zone Act 1

Turned 25 this January. It's easy for me to figure out how old I was for each anniversary.

pic unrelated

Not when 3D Blast and Knuckles Chaotix exists.

>le 2 game meme
OUT!! OUT!! OUT!! OUT!!!!

Both of 3D Blast's soundtracks were great.

24 next month, so no.

There needs to be more multiple exit zones.

>tfw Knuckles Chaotix is literally just the same song remixed or sped up/slowed down differently for every level

>>mfw Rotor is practically a reformed villain
>Yfw he gets tired of the other FFs agreeing with Sally and doing things the "right" way instead of what he thinks is the most logical and straightforward way
>Yfw he goes off on his own to "show them how it's really done" or some shit
I've been playing these games for over a decade and this is the first I'm hearing of this. Goddamn
>Talking shit about 3D Blast
3d Blast Saturn OST is top tier though
youtube.com/watch?v=AzBxs09FKxg
youtube.com/watch?v=3z2Q8maJTOo
youtube.com/watch?v=KV-BvUDHH6o
youtube.com/watch?v=2qjuewAZopM

After Unleashed, I'd like to see Sonic just run off on his own for a while.

Post favorite Sonic songs
This one reminds me of Green Hill for some reason
youtube.com/watch?v=eAZjXJNVTmA

I see something like that happening. Sonic (Maybe with Tails in tow) dicking around with the world and the FFs doing stuff closer to home. Just keeping it low stakes for a while. Well, until issue 300 that is

I like the remix.

youtube.com/watch?v=QNXXlqP4_9c

>legacy

>Virgin

Every Sonic is one.

MY EYES. MY EYES ARE FILLED WITH CURIOUSITY
youtube.com/watch?v=LNsGT2Pjug8

>NOOOOO CHARACTERS CAN ONLY DO ONE THING OR ME NOT UNDERSTAND!!!
You know what? You really ARE a bunch of autistic retards. Just all of you kill yourselves. You all make me ashamed to like this franchise.

Are you going to actually present an argument or just say lolkillurselves

nice Sally butt

>Reminds me of Green Hill zone
Apparently unintentional, but part of the song actually does sound similar to Green Hill Zone. You can kinda hear it.

Also
youtube.com/watch?v=MuVAaU63K7k
Is objectively the best Crush 40 song.

Sonic Heroes on PC plays like ass. Give me recommendations on 3D Sonic games that play better on PC.

Generations

>Give me recommendations on 3D Sonic games that play better on PC.
Generations is the only one.

>You just lucky your ass that perfect

Fuck I feel the same way about this stupid fandom.

But we're all here for a reason and we can't leave.

>OVA
>That curved quills

otherwise it's good

I thought someone said Sonic didn't have his life jacket this game?

> life jacket

SONIC BTFO

30 this past January

Alzheimer's already kicking in, I'm 31.

Sweet Jesus help me, I'm already losing it.

>swimming with your shoes on

27 yes.

By a few months, yeah.
3D Blast was my first video game.
3&K is my favorite video game.

Why hasn't there been a goth chick Sonic girl yet?

Why hasn't there been a cow Sonic girl yet?