/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/General_problems_FAQ

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Other urls found in this thread:

bitbucket.org/opentyrian/opentyrian/wiki/Home
github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/blob/master/Data/Sys/GameSettings/GXSP8P.ini
github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/commit/51a36f27e0c91ac819d077c6a9242cac5a8085ed
equityarcade.com/2016/06/21/ecco-the-dolphin-dreamcast-sequel-prototype-leaked-online
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4pf30n/why_amd_cpus_are_utter_shit_and_you_should_not/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have a question about the tvout-tweaks shader.
Can't all resolution be unified in one?
Like for example the interlacing.cg shader produces interlacing, but only if the resolution is above 400px.

So... can't the tvout shader be like
if (resolution >= 256) {// set output resolution to 256};
else if (resolution >= 320) {// set output resolution to 320};
else if (resolution >= 512 {// set output resolution to 512};
else if (resolution >= 640) {// set output resolution to 640};

Recently got a clip and USB cable for the phone. I haven't tried RA at all in the desktop, but it seems comfy on Android. I'm currently playing Fire Emblem 7 on mGBA and want to export that save to the mGBS core on RA. Is this even possible? I can't load any type of save or gameshark file exported from the desktop mGBA.

What's the most optimal way to get Skyward Sword running on Dolphin with a controller?

Yes I know they tell you that Dolphin doesn't have native Motion Plus emulation, but I don't have a SD card big enough to run Skyward Sword on my Wii, so all I'm left with is PC.

I don't mind having a less optimal, shittier gameplay experience if it's at least doable, surely somebody has figured out a controller map that kinda works? Or a mod/plug-in was made?

>What's the most optimal way to get Skyward Sword running on Dolphin with a controller?
You get your Wii Mote+ and play with it.

I don't have any blutooth dongle for my PC.

USB bluetooth is cheap, user.

They're like ten burgerbucks or less, user. Are you a turtle, by any chance?

Any recommendation for a GB/GBC/GBA emulator on Android?

mGBA core on RetroArch.

That webm describes all of my experiences with emulation in the last few years. Something's wrong with me, I used to be able to just PLAY THE GAMES ALL THE WAY THROUGH.

lol how about you just tell it doesn't work instead of wasting my time telling me to buy something

There's more than one scammy payware GBA emu that's just shamelessly stolen code, beware. mGBA through RA is by far the best solution, especially in accuracy but also just in raw featureset.

Actually helpful user here.

Have you tried configuring the emulated wiimote? You can right-click things in controller settings to get more advanced options. I'm sure the game will throw a tutorial at you early on where you can make sure the bindings allow you to do what you want to.

btw, a scrubbed iso might fit your SD card

> In order to appeal to the mainstream, an emulator needs to be capable of rendering at higher than native resolutions. Once you do that, you're suddenly faced with a lot of technical issues.

Let gonetz build his horseshit then on top of a solid foundation. Gliden64 and GLN64 by extension sure as hell ain't that.

He can learn a lot looking at the codebase and finally see how a real graphics expert approaches things. Then maybe, a few kickstarters later, he can finally make himself relevant for once in his life, since you people seem to like supporting mediocre charlatans that much.

I tried checking the config for emulated Wii remotes and I don't see an option to turn on MotionPlus?

When I start up the game it just tells me to plug the Nunchuk into a Wii motion plus compatible remote.

Also if there is a scrubbed iso for Skyward Sword then somebody's gonna have to spoonfeed me on that one cause I can't find it.

>a solid foundation
>native res
ayy lmao. Phone me when angrylion does 1080p. You have to write a plugin that can scale up in the first place in order to scale it up. Though I do agree that HD "enhancements" can never beat accurate emulation.

Are you using a recent build? I never tried doing this, and if the UI doesn't say anything it's probably not possible.

Also for scrubbing, there's numerous scrubbing utilities out there.

>ayy lmao. Phone me when angrylion does 1080p. You have to write a plugin that can scale up in the first place in order to scale it up. Though I do agree that HD "enhancements" can never beat accurate emulation.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

'native res' has jack shit all to do with a 'solid foundation'.

let me tell you what a solid foundation is: a codebase that doesn't have ANY PER-GAME SHITTY HACKS, WITH A DATABASE SETTING SWITCHES PER-GAME.

For fucks' sake already, it's 2016, not 1999 anymore. You consider horseshit codebases like GLN64 still 'decent', and for that you should be discredited and disqualified from ever speaking again.

We needed zero-hack RDP renderers YESTERDAY. You and your implicit support for these hacky hack crappy-as-fuck codebases is what has held N64 emulation back for decades, and you STILL support the mediocre charlatans that just fork codebases they did not write themselves and make themselves a nice kickstarter beggar career off it. For shame my friend.

Your greentext specifically mentioned native resolution, which was the cause of my reply.

Either way, GLideN64 doesn't strive for preservation. It is essentially just trying to be popular.

So make preservation popular.

"Either way, GLideN64 doesn't strive for preservation. It is essentially just trying to be popular."

One day you want to go "gliden64 is the most accurate plugin of all", next day you want to go "oh but it's not striving for accuracy, it's about being popular".

Make up your mind. A codebase with a ton of per-game hacks is essentially a collapsing foundation. N64 emulation should be getting at the stage SNES emulation is at, where I can throw random homebrew at it and I know it will run without me having to add a shitton of per-game 'hacks' to get it to render just right and load the correct HLE microcode for that game's microcode. This is shittier emulation for what is such an old console by now, and it's about time for a change.

Please stop. You're making sane people that care about accuracy look bad.

I guess those people are not gliden64 fanboys since they don't care a shit about 'accuracy' evidently unless your definition of accuracy is something like UltraHLE per-game hacks for everything 'just so my favorite games run'.

Does this mean you will no longer work on improving your fork of Glide64?

Search for a .wbfs rather than a .iso. .wbfs are scrubbed isos.

I found one, scrubbed Skyward Sword is still 3.93 GB, which is still like 700mbs over my SD card space.

I don't even know why this game is big, I thought it sucked and had no exploration

Lots of music probably.

Do you have any sort of external hard drive? You could run it off that instead.

Nope. I have a 8 GB flash drive but can't find it.

Fucking wack ass motion control, I could just play this on PC if that weren't the case, how you gonna even archive this game for playability when Wii peripherals phase out?

People could make copies of the hardware I guess.

This needs a libretro port and someone smarter than me that is able to do it.

bitbucket.org/opentyrian/opentyrian/wiki/Home

I fucking love Tyrian but they've already done everything, you can already play it on literally any device right now.

Good luck with that, the code is a clusterfuck. If libretro is callback based then it won't work since the game has a dozen "event loops" nested inside each other. Would take a lot of effort to clean up.

How exactly do you propose to render at higher than native resolutions without any hacks?

It literally lists ports for consoles that libretro has cores for. Use those. Or don't, because it's already ported to whatever your device is.

In fact what am I even saying, it doesn't NEED porting, or the use of this sourceport in any way, because it's a DOS GAME which is a thing libretro already covers via Dosbox.

>let me tell you what a solid foundation is: a codebase that doesn't have ANY PER-GAME SHITTY HACKS, WITH A DATABASE SETTING SWITCHES PER-GAME.
Kinda weird how Dolphin is riddled with per-game hacks, but people turn a blind eye to it.

Aren't most of those (optional) speedhacks, though? Like, they disable features a game doesn't need to speed it up.

They're fundamentally no different to what N64/PS2 emulators do. Turning special settings off, turning them on, and of course the odd dirty memory hack for Sonic games and such.

The game settings for most of the sonic games are blank templates. Which dirty memory hack are you talking about?

>Kinda weird how Dolphin is riddled with per-game hacks, but people turn a blind eye to it.
Because those people are retarded sycophants.

All these fucking hacks. Only a retard would tolerate this shit!

github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/blob/master/Data/Sys/GameSettings/GXSP8P.ini

It's not a per-game memory hack, but rather a general hack that fixes Sonic Adventure DX.

github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/commit/51a36f27e0c91ac819d077c6a9242cac5a8085ed

Memory hacks are fairly rare in modern emulators. PJ64 has maybe three or four at most, and using GLideN64 bypasses most of them. PCSX2 has quite a few, though.

Its not a per game hack. Its a general hack that will be reevaluated and probably fixed later.

A per game hack is if game x is running do y. Not if detected behavior b is detected do d instead of c

Splitting hairs maybe but this whole argument is weak at best anyway. Yeah hacks exists but the devs never said shit was perfect.

If anything it seems like more of an argument to drop the extra graphics apis and focus on one. (I vote for vulkan)

It's worth noting that Dolphin's HLE audio system fits the bill because HLE audio is naturally built around detecting a game's audio ucode and using custom libraries to run its audio. It's also worth noting that HLE audio never really took off for N64 emulators because PJ64 has always done LLE audio.

What the fuck is sharp bilinear?

Friendly reminder that whatshisname's N64 video plugin will never look this good.

Now if only N64 emulation wasn't rubbish...

Everyone knows the human eye can't see resolutions greater than 640x220, anyway.

>Now if only N64 emulation wasn't rubbish...
How is it rubbish?

>How is it rubbish?

Thread, I give you life!

Why must, every time I update RetroPie, I have to redo all my settings and mods?
It would take them like 5 minutes to include some code that plays a playlist of music in the menu on shuffle. All I want is my cab to have a bit of attract music (and a attract video on idle wouldn't hurt either. Used to have some nice ones on hyperspin).
Can't they have some code that scans the scripts for any unique changes and stores and reapplies them after updating everything?

>tfw he never experienced good emulation

It's plugin based and as such relies on messing about with settings to play specific games rather than using pretty much the same for everything.

*It's plugin based and as such relies on messing about with settings to play specific games with mediocre to shitty accuracy

Ayyy

To be fair, most games on n64 are completely playable with minimal problems if any. You still have fringe cases like banjo tooie, but progress is being made.

Any recommended blutooth recievers for using Wiimotes with Dolphin?

New ecco game prototype. equityarcade.com/2016/06/21/ecco-the-dolphin-dreamcast-sequel-prototype-leaked-online
Works emulated or as a CD burned for console.

They support the sales of a specific Bluetooth sensor bar that also acts as a receiver. Mayflash.

>Fringe cases
>Rare games are some of the best loved games on the system
If high profile games like banjo don't work then that why bother?

That sure is a lot of changes that don't include FIXING THE FUCKING SHADER CACHE STUTTERING which makes this emulator completely useless for real setups. Do you not fucking understand? This program is POINTLESS until it's fixed.

Good job!

user, stuttering to compile shaders is totally fine unless you are playing an action, platforming, fighting or racing game!

Dolphin 5.0 is due this month, about time I guess.

>N64 turns 20
>Emulation is still shit

>Emulation is still shit
Delusional

reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4pf30n/why_amd_cpus_are_utter_shit_and_you_should_not/

>implying retroarch is the best way to emulate N64 :)
Gonetz has already fixed pilotwings shadows.

Does it work on Linux?

....aaaaaaaaand banned.

Goodbye mooch, we'll miss you.

It should, via standalone Mupen64Plus. Not sure how well frankenmupen's port of GLideN64 runs.

Isn't frankenmupen better than OG mupen?

gliden64 has never worked properly with core profile, so SP literally cannot use it on his intel.

gonetz is content with only compat. context support, which means things are broken as hell on non-AMD/non-nvidia.

it is, but gonetz is not a skilled opengl coder, so he made a pretty bad fork of GLn64 and didn't even bother making it work with core context, which Intel and RetroArch needs.

Ergo, why continue wasting all this time on this mediocre mess of a plugin when a unified HLE renderer and proper RDP LLE is far more important. Gliden64 is just a fork of GLN64, and not even a very good one. It should just be integrated inside this unified renderer, beyond that it has no real significance.

Is Angrylion+Vulkan the savior of N64 emulation?

>Isn't frankenmupen better than OG mupen?
In most cases yes. However I believe M64p standalone is more suitable for those who really want to use GLideN64.

I honestly think that we need to start over and make an emulator that doesn't rely on plugins. Get Ryphetcha on it. Mednafen i quite the success story.

So his hate for GlideN64 is sour grapes

> Get Ryphecha on it

Ryphecha doesn't know a thing about GL, Vulkan, or 3D-based systems. He/she is completely out of her league there.

>a unified HLE renderer
Tell me more about this user. I'm very interested.

>I honestly think that we need to start over and make an emulator that doesn't rely on plugins.
No real point. Statically linking the code doesn't all the sudden yield improvements. Only real reason to abolish plugins is if you write all of the code on your own.

Why doesn't MAME make drivers into plugins?

Mednafen works fine and many PSX games are 3D. She's working on Saturn as well and that's a 3D system.

That would imply there is something to be envious or sour over.

All I see is undelivered promises, shady profiteering scams and an one-eyed man being king in a land of the blind.

>Only real reason to abolish plugins is if you write all of the code on your own.

Or just in order to have a coherent codebase maintained altogether instead of a patchwork of dynamic libraries maintained by different people with different feature sets (sometimes overlapping) and different levels of quality.

PSX and Saturn both were not true 3D systems. N64 was the first one and that is where all her 'skills' stop.

I'll give it to her: she is a far more skilled version of byuu, which is mostly just a clueless bumpkin. She actually has math ski

He's probably one of those "PSX and Saturn not real 3D" retards.

Exactly this. We don't need 3 different plugins that allow us to play everything. We need 1 plugin or 1 emulator that will do them all because it has combined features of those three.
A lot of the trouble comes from the fact that emudevs don't collaborate enough. If they all just worked on one thing together then surely we'd have something better a lot faster than with this competition and code stealing.

That's basically what mupen64 libretro already is and is becoming.

Don't like RetroArch's GUI? Make your own libretro frontend, problem solved.

The distinction between true and untrue 3D is ridiculous and pointless. Adding a depth buffer and perspective correction to PSX wouldn't make it much more complicated to emulate anyway, I don't see why Ryphecha wouldn't be capable of handling that.

Please stop with this shitty meme.

Yeah, that'd be great if it worked better than Pj64.

Actions speak louder than words.

All we have in Mednafen so far is a ton of forked emulators which she didn't even write and just added some 'enhancements' to, and maybe a few originals.

Other than that, nothing much really. And PSX needs tons of work on top of just something that renders in native res and has a CPU interpreter, you need to actually go the extra mile, write a dynarec, write hardware renderers, and it's pretty obvious by now she either is not interested (sounds like an excuse) or, the more likely explanation, doesn't know how to do any of that.

OK, whatever you say Mr. Fox

That's a lot of baseless assumptions from someone who says that "actions speak louder than words".

The fact is that she managed to write a bunch of very good quality emulators and based on that I have no reason to think she wouldn't be able to make a (slow but accurate) N64 emu if she wanted to.

Not wanting to bother with hardware renderers and dynarec doesn't mean much. Both of those things are almost certainly going to reduce accuracy and she obviously aims for accuracy first and performance 2nd.

>The fact is that she managed to write a bunch of very good quality emulators and based on that I have no reason to think she wouldn't be able to make a (slow but accurate) N64 emu if she wanted to.

We already have such a slow but accurate N64 emu. It's called every N64 emu with Angrylion and low-level RSP.

What do you think all the hype regarding RSP LLE is about? It's the one missing link that still makes N64 emulation universally shit, and it's the first real point in history where we can be guaranteed that what is rendered onscreen, is supposed to be rendered like that. No more crappy bullshit going on where we have to figure out what each game's displaylists are and how to approximate what should be rendered onscreen.

Squarepusher, why do you have to bring up byuu's math abilities every time you shit on him? Seriously, it's like the 15th time I'm reading this here and I'm 100% positive it's you again.