/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Post progress ever hour!

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

googumproduce.com/morphemonep2
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Complete_roguelike_tutorial_using_C++_and_libtcod_-_part_1:_setting_up
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How long did it take you to get out of the "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing / I'm doing tutorials" mode

There's a way out?

>get out

Next thing I have to add is sound effects. Trying to make sounds that are good and not annoying is truly the worst part of gamedev.

0 amount of time
I'm naturally arrogant so I never thought I was out of my depth until just recently, but now I actually know enough to feel confident in what I think I know
thanks,
mt stupid mountaineer

if two guys in the living hellscape of Venezuela can make it, you can too.

JLMG

a few years
but you should be able to make an award winning game long before you know what you're doing

What's your guy's favorite part of Megaman games?

How about Megaman X games?

How do i fix this

Never would have thought you would actually use "Award winning" in a serious sentence googs.

>favorite part of megaman games
When the tools you get from bosses are just as helpful in progressing in stages as their are at killing new bosses.

>megaman x games
Probably the decent amount of responsive movement options, and level design that allows you to make good use of that movement this coming from someone who only likes x and x2

I'd like to know too but I feel like the answer is "until you decide to do shits by yourself without relying on hand-holding".

I've just finished various tutorial series and while I don't want to admit it it feels as if I'm trying to find a new one to rely on as an excuse to not start my project. At this rate I'll never start so probably I should just do it at this point and suffer.

Programmer here
spent too much time on this
Tell if you at least can tell what it is

X's combat + originals level design.
MMBN is the superior serious though.

techno rave mushroom that looks like a UFO

UFO at a very unfortunate angle

space ship about to abduct someone/thing?

you didn't know im an award winning flash game developer?
i won a DS lite in 2007 from mochigames for sprite smash being one of the most popular games using their ad junk, i still play it when i poop.

The jellyfish of the future.

a koopa throwing up after mario made him spin too much

>spent too much time on this
Yeah but you learned the basics of how to do it.

so the next time you want to make a spinny thing it's gonna be ez

Around a week reading the tutorial on the C++ website and a month of making a roguelike from scratch out of spaghetti code.

Is GL in unity shit?
how does it compare to opengl?

> 36 years old
> biggest claim to fame is a DS he won

Gaggems is on his way to be the Hopsin of gamedev.

X games started going to shit pretty quickly, I thought. I do like the way weapons can be used to progress faster and stuff, like the hookshot-type things from some of the X games.
Currently wondering about why X's levels changed so much, if the inclusion of the dash just did that much to alter what they thought was fun or if that's when Inafune's brain disease reached it's peak. MMBN is kinda a whole other beast.

googum's games are so good I'm surprised a AAA studio hasn't picked him up yet

What made Skyrim so popular and sell so well (plus have so many playing it today)? Was it something from the game itself or more marketing/hype from the previous games. TES was definitely not as popular before, especially going back to the best game Morrowind .

>AAA
lol

>why X's levels changed so much,
too many gimmicks and it was a yearly cycle so shit got rushed and lazy.

theme song

googum goes clubbing.gif

where is your year long animation hosted

A combination of marketing, a terrible E3 where the only good thing was Skyrim and a very alive modding community.

Beth had great marketing for it somehow because Oblivion and Morrowind got fuck-all.

Also Todd's crazy fucking idea to have their composer write a whole language and a song for that language to go with the main theme.

Also DRAGONS, which was their main gimmick. And that drew in normies

googumproduce.com/morphemonep2

I'm fairly sure they put a lot more in marketing for Skyrim than they had for the earlier games. I'd say the game was also designed to appeal to a wider audience.

Can you link the site? I have about 6 months of c++ experience under my belt and understand the libs like SDL/OpenGL a little bit, and I really wanna make a tile-based roguelike, but I have no fucking clue where to start or if I should even bother building it from scratch. I've dabbled with unity but I'm not sure it's the right tool and I'd love to build something all my own.

you start by not trying to use subdiv for games

lurk more.

How about you fuck off with your shilling.

website looks like it was made in 1995

This is a toxic place -- you probably don't want to hang around

1. it was actually good for a change morrowind is trash
2. world design
3. dragons
4. marketing

skyrim was just a perfect blend of so many things going right, really

roguebasin probably has the best resources for roguelike dev
I haven't done this but it might be decent
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Complete_roguelike_tutorial_using_C++_and_libtcod_-_part_1:_setting_up

I'd suggest using SDL instead of libtcod though. All you really have to do is draw a bunch of rectangular pictures

Then what about something without their marketing budget like undertale?

You have /v/eddit.

meme magic

>Also DRAGONS, which was their main gimmick. And that drew in normies

This right here. Not gonna lie, when the first gameplay footage came out I was so fucking baffled by the fact they pulled off combat with creatures in flight that can land and move without clipping issues for the most part. Plus at the time Skyrim was the most graphically gorgeous (and still arguably is) game at the time. I feel like with soundtrack, visuals and gameplay they got a lot right. But of course, being a Morrowind/Oblivion fan boy there's a lot they left out which was a bummer. Almost feels like a fps with swords sometimes.

I didn't follow any tutorials on how to build a roguelike, I just learned how to use C++ and smashed my head against the wall until something close to what I wanted came out.

viral marketing.

Neat! Thanks man!

Lower pricepoint, viral marketing, youtubers/twitch. Back when Skyrim was released the youtube and twitch culture weren't as developed yet.

>skyrim
>graphically gorgeous
>2011

the world design and art direction is good, but it sure as fuck was not graphically great, it looks like a 2006 game

remember 2011 was the same year as crysis 2 and battlefield 3

>2011 was 5 years ago

thinking about stuffing the game with memes tb.h

the fact that your hand is a gun

pew pew pew! fuck yeah. Also you look really dramatic when you jump.

kys

Tutorial cat is great for teaching the player the cursor mechanics at the start of the game.

Do you think your game will make money, /agdg/?

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Yes. To valve through greenlight fee.

>money, /agdg/?
Bokube will probably not make any money. I'm doing it as a hobby.

Though I'm more excited to just have people play it.

this shit is so cool

I want to theme my card game so that adults can play it in public without feeling shame. Something dignified and minimalist. Do you think this is a stupid idea?

attention is a more important currency and a scarcer resource

Whats the least resource intensive way of just drawing shapes on the screen with Unity?
I'm trying to emulate opengl, but having a hell of a time.

Good idea but you lose half of the existing market of card games. you'll get the more of the eurogame/hipster/board game snob crowd at the expense of casuals and TCG addicts.

Also depends on the card game.

Welcome to Bokube

There's no way Cushy Tushies won't set me up for life.

Why?
Only literal autists and omegas care what people play in public assuming they aren't making a scene.

It would be really cool if you could hide another message in the dark, even if it was something as simple as "good job".

this is a legit good game idea
if you make it funny rather than lewd you can even get kids to buy it with their parents money

Oh I am planning on having a demon stalk you throughout the game G-man from halflife style no worries senpai.

That sounds neat, but I was thinking of something like a hidden text box to demonstrate the mechanic.

If I get an idea on how to implement micro transactions on it probably.

>tfw I came up with a decent idea for a game the other day and almost immediately thought out the different types of micro-transactions I could implement if I end up making it.

Same. Lets face it, if we want to do this for a living, money is a big priority.

Is it worth looking at what Shaun Spalding has if I already did all of Heartbeast's tutorials?

>if we want to do this for a living, money is a big priority.
Definitely true.

To be totally honest even as a consumer I don't think micro-transactions are THAT bad so long as they're not intrusive or permanently stopping you from being able to play.

>legit thinking of gamedev as a lucrative career
HAHAHAHAHHA

>tfw have multiple ideas for games in moderate detail but don't bother to even do a proper writeup let alone trying to develop one

>Game dev for a living
That's not how it works. You get a regular job and game dev on the side, if it takes off then you can make it your career. You'll be on the streets pretty soon if you think you can start game dev like a home business.

This but also you can pretty safely turn
>if it takes off
into
>it won't take off

>minecraft
>undertale
>fez
>risk of rain
>va-11 ha-lla
>so many other indie games
come on, man. we're on the rise here. the odds of hitting it big are at least 1 in 10000, and I'd say those odds are breddy damn good.

...Well I've already quit my job so...

But I've been wanting to do this for awhile so I saved up enough money to let me gamedev for 6 months without having to worry about money. After that, If I haven't started atleast making an average of $20/day, I'll have to look for a job again.

bro, take the cardinality of that set, and then divide it by the cardinality of the set of "all devs who monetize"

You are D E L U S I O N A L

I've worked on so many types of games, most of which I went out of scope with or hit roadblocks on.

I don't know what to do anymore.
I really like making gaem. But I just can't make gaem.

micro-transactions break games on a fundamental level

you cannot make a game the same way with and without microtransactions

and a microtransaction game will ALWAYS meet one or more conditions

>grindy to promote buying progress
>locking most content behind nickel and dime paywalls
>become a fashion game to encourage buying hats

either microtransactions are intrusive, or they are unprofitable, there is no middle ground

so the question you have to ask is, are you designing a cashin disguised as a game, or are you making a game that could make money? microtransactions allow for only one, and it's not the one that is a game

If you are approaching gamedev as anything but a hobby, unless you already have industry experience, extensive networking, and a team of likewise competent devs, you will be

VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Snap out of it, and pursue it on the side of stable income.

I vote for hats. The least intrusive.

The inner ideas man in me is telling me:
Make all the dialogue call you out on your shitty clothes until you buy a hat. Like a game with a dating sim element, but the girls won't talk to you when you look like a pleb.

>tfw dropped out of college just to make gaem
>have debt, only job is a sit at home coding thingy for this local computer shop
its a struggle, but i'll make it. we'll all make it. right?

Why do people like Evangelion?

>every single sign and indication says it is an extremely poor decision
>industry people saying Go Back
>blogposts, post mortems, thousands of great but ignored projects
It's probably different for you though, I say go for it

Ok, I kinda fucked up. Just noticed the font I have been using for my game is free only for personal use, and you have to distribute a txt with the info about the guy that made it with your work if you use it, something I haven't done of course.
How much do you need to modify a font so the people can't claim is the same anymore? Or should I start looking for a new one just in case?