I know Veeky Forums isn't for homework, but Im writing an essay on heroism, and wanted to know if I missed anything

I know Veeky Forums isn't for homework, but Im writing an essay on heroism, and wanted to know if I missed anything
Classical: Odyssey, Aenied, The Republic, Nicomachean Ethics, Meditations.
Medieval: Song of Roland, Parzival, Son Quixote, The Prince.
Enlightenment/Romantic: Byronic Poems, Eugene Onigen (Pushkin) Faust, Parsifal
Modern: Ghandi, Martian Luther King, Superheros

Well, Don Quixote is not Medieval to begin with.

A fuckload.

>Medieval: Song of Roland, Parzival, Son Quixote, The Prince.
The cantar del mio Cid is probably the most important heroic poem in Spanish.

Don Quijote is the first modern novel

>no Iliad

Are you literally fucking retarded? And that isn't mentioning not having The Epic of Gilgamesh and dozens of other things

Gilgamesh, Sunjata, Arjuna, John Henry

I'm doing in in "Eras", classical starts with Greek and ends with Rome
Son Quixote is about a medieval hero though

>Gilgamesh
Can someone explain why Americans are so interested in ancient Mesopotamian shit?
Like why is it so prominent in their school curricula?
We didn't learn anything about Mesopotamia at all in school. I only know American kids learn about it though osmosis from American cartoons and sitcoms.

The most important medieval heroes were actually the catholic saints, martyrs or warrior saints like St. George. Most people never listened to tales like Song of Roland, they were mostly just recited in rolyal and noble courts. Almost everybody knew about the saints however, they prayed to them and the church encouraged people to follow their example. Saint's were basically the superheroes of the time: in several stories they used supernatural powers, battled demons, saved whol communities.

Also, Don Quixote is not a medieval work, it's more of a parody of one kind of the medieval hero written later.

>Americans

Literally what? I grew up in Eastern Europe and the Gilgamesh epic was required reading.

Literally the first written works

>We didn't learn anything about Mesopotamia at all in school.

You probably grew up in a shithole then considering Mesopotamia is literally the cradle of fucking civilization and the single point when history even starts.

Any good books on those?

>Classical

Only two of those are actually heroic epics, the rest are guides to ethics and statesmanship, I'm not sure how you think they are about heroism. Like people said before, the Iliad is the beginning of Greek heroic tradition. For the Romans, myths about archaic Roman heroes are better examples: Mucius Scaevola, the Horatii etc.

I grew up in Ireland. We learned about the first people in Ireland mainly as far as I can remember. Nothing about Mesopotamia.
Didn't even hear about Gilgamesh until that "Girugamesh" meme in like 2007 or whenever that was

I'd have never guessed that Irish education standards were this shitty, unless you're just trying to bait us.

oldest recorded story is also ABOUT trying to accept mortality and to live forever in deeds

Like Pottery

what about the Táin?

> Quixote is about a medieval hero
wrong, is about a medieval fanboy who goes crazy reading chivalry books

this.
Karna is a good alternative to arjuna.
>Ghandi,
heroic, wait what?

Meditations, Ethics and The Republic both talk about heroism, such as why hero's need be royal/noble, plus I need some non fiction
Thatswh I meant, its about the medieval hhero archetype, rather than the romantic hero

That's what*
Modern people view people like Ghandi as a hero

Any book on hagiography will probably be good. Some of the most influential hagiographies are:
- the Golden Legend by Jacobus de Voragine
- the Legend of St. Anthony by Athanasius
- Vita Constantini
- Life of St. Martin by Sulpicius Severus

Nope, 100% telling the truth.
history:
>everything that happened in Ireland and Europe from Irish cavemen up to the protestant reformation is mandatory (up to age 15)
>after that you can pick topics
>off the top of my head: Parnell, the Irish revolution & civil war, Bismarck, Garibaldi, WWI, WWII (more about the ideologies and propaganda of USSR and Nazi Germany), and LOTS of USA/USSR from the great depression up to the end of the cold war
literature:
>dude Yeats lmao
>pretty much exclusively Irish and American authors and poets, apart from Shakespeare

That's part of the Leaving Certificate Classical Studies curriculum, which very few students take. An optional section of an optional course.

For Classics, Alexander (Arrian and Plutarch) is mandatory, then you can pick a bunch of shit like the Aeneid, the Táin, Roman/Greek art/architecture, Roman poetry etc

kalevala

Just to be clear, its not just about heroism, its about how classical heroism influenced future heroism

We had history classes divided between local history and world history, like the first half would be about Romans or Charlemagne or Napoleon or whatever the fuck and the second half would be about what were our people doing during that period.

And people insult American education

Nibelungenlied?

We had no such thing, just different sections for "Ireland" and "Rest of Europe/the World" in the book.

You also made me remember that there are actually two Leaving Certificate history courses.

One that covers from the Reformation up to Napoleon (I think).
And the other one I described with the late 19th-20th century stuff.
However, you have to pick one.
So I left school knowing literally nothing about Napoleon and having a giant gap basically between Henry VIII and WWI
The Irish education system (as far as concerns history and literature) used to be extremely insular and WE WUZi-st, now it's just sucking American cock and Protestant apologist

Who cares about the first written works and mesopowhatever, when you can learn about the first written work in DUTCH?

Wanna know what it said?

>all birds build nests

No memess

Alright, anything else I should get?