How will Kissinger be remembered; as a great American strategist who engineered detente with the Soviets and China...

How will Kissinger be remembered; as a great American strategist who engineered detente with the Soviets and China, or as a war criminal who encouraged genocide?

Yes.

no

If Trump wins it will be the former.If Hillary wins it will still be the former

Get you a man that can do both

Kissinger is one of my favorite people to learn about. The man has such an incredible wealth of knowledge on the world and his role in it, as evidenced by his books, and is interesting as a person as well as a diplomat.
Its a shame, really, that his posterity will most likely be that of a war criminal. This is most likely a product of this new revisionism in academia where actions are viewed at through a humanitarian lens first and foremost, and are completely taken out of context. He is seen by many as an embodiment of American imperialism, and realpolitik is seen as callous and cruel.

I know basically nothing. Any recommendations?

He wrote a book on history that was required reading for me freshman year. My prof really liked him.

World Order

He's necessary evil

His memoirs are decent.

what book is that?

Figure I should ask this here instead of making a new thread

I don't understand why the cold war was a thing.

The entire base premise of why it came about and what America and the Soviet union's thinking was basically just blind paranoia that capitalist democratic countries and communist countries would automatically and inherently hate each other, so then they immediately just started to treat each other as enemies for no good reason when both staying out of each other's business/tolerating the difference in philosophy would have just gone fine.

Am I retarded?

Well, world revolution was in fact a concept in Marxist doctrine.

And the USSR had in fact taken over Eastern Europe after agreeing to respect the neutrality of the countries they turned into fuckpuppets.

Of course, the Soviets wanted strategic depth after the horrors of Barbarossa.

Both sides saw one another as being basically the same thing as the Nazis.

A terrorist

Only if we give up the weird definition of terrorism that excludes state actors and state actions.

'Diplomacy' is a good one but he has many.

The problem is both Washington and Moscow wanted to run the whole world.

A rotten zionist who betrayed America.

Nobody will give a fuck about some random murricunt

"Cold War" is just a term that describes what happens when 2 superpowers struggle for supremacy without direct military conflict.

The Cold War isn't a "thing" or a period in history, it's just the easiest way to simplify how two nations can get as close to fighting without actually killing each other.

That's what they said about the founding fathers, now look at them.

Samefag piece of shit I hope you fucking kill yourself Jesus H. CHRIST I hope you drop to the bottom of a fucking well and the noose doesn't even tighten all the way so you still have a few seconds to comprehend the fact that you are FUCKING DYING before you go under water and choke to death. Sweet LORD, that people like you exist is why I don't wake up in the morning and instead come on here to look for the good in the world. Of course I always have to find those little shits like YOU that make me want to blast a hole in my own chest. Really I can't believe I even put that "YOU" in capitals even though I already put the name of our fucking LORD JESUS CHRIST in capitals as well, running the risk of associating him to your piece of shit NEET faggot ass. FUCK YOU and everything that you stand for. Fuck your pathetic life, your twenty thousand skylords and your meme cats you fat Neutral Milk Hotel Loving dog filth.

Right, but my point is there was no reason why they had to be in that struggle to begin with. The only reason that struggle existed was because both superpowers decided for some arbitrary reason that it would be a bad thing if there was communist/democratic countries around.

There was nothing preventing communist and democratic/capitalist nations from still getting along other then the fact they didn't want to.

He was a war criminal piece of shit who was responsible for the deaths of humans.

If he was alive I would fucking punch him.

He is alive lmao. he still makes appearances sometimes and his voice is grating as fuck at the age of 90 something

hes merely the sulla of america

>Right, but my point is there was no reason why they had to be in that struggle to begin with.

Not really. Pretty soon after the start of the Russian Civil War the western powers backed the White anti-revolutionaries to try and stop the
Bolsheviks. So before the Soviet Union was even a thing the West wanted them gone. After the Bolsheviks won Lenin was pretty clear that he was going to topple the Western Powers and spread communism as far as possible. And there were many failed and sucessful communist revolutions backed by the Soviets before and after WW2. When Hitler grabbed power the West tried to appease him and use him as a bulwark against the Soviet Union. Once World War 2 broke out the focus of the West turned to Hitler but after that the animosity returned almost immediately. Because the Western Allies wanted their to be open elections in the newly libertated Eastern European countries. Then there was the whole West Berlin thing. A far cry from "no reason".

Really World War 2 was a short break in an otherwise unending feud between Western Capitalist countries and the Soviets.

Fuck, he is still alive

>retty soon after the start of the Russian Civil War the western powers backed the White anti-revolutionaries to try and stop the Bolsheviks.

>After the Bolsheviks won Lenin was pretty clear that he was going to topple the Western Powers

But why. I'm not understanding the motivations here.

Why do people want to stop ISIS? People in power never like Revolutionaries. Unless they can weaken one side in favor of a another. Literally read the Communist Manifesto. It's like 30 pages or something. It calls for a global Revolution. And Lenin was pretty vocal in his support of that. Why would America and Co. ever let a guy like that take over Russia? Before the Russian civil war communism was a domestic issue. Easy to deal with. If Lenin wins the Civil War then they have all the resources of Russia. Communism goes from worker strikes to global military threat. Why wouldn't the Western powers be against that.

Kissinger is literally the face I see flash before me when someone utters the phrase "Shifty Jew".

He's a war criminal, and should be tried and executed.

He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, so I guess he will be remembered as a war criminal.

Chile, Vietnam, Oil Shock, he's a dangerous psychopath.

That wouldn't be in the United State's interest

Nuh Washinton only wanted trade.....at first

Things went downhills when Reagan came along

How can it be a nation-state if it's an empire before the Treaty of Westphalia?