youtube.com/watch?v=sqct087xM9E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for java 3D game dev

This is my target audience.
How do I get their attention?

there's nothing wrong with that.

>steal your ideas from non-game sources that's what i do
This from the man who literally made a Rock Paper Scissors game

Notch made over 2 billion dollars by making a 3D java game.

Maybe listen to someone else... I realize just how little this gives someone probably. Those videos were way better probably.

Feel free to play around with that code obviously.

Get your cock out

create a social media app that revolves around taking pictures

roasties :)

It's supposed to be a GAME.
Are you saying that phallic objects would be a good idea for the game?
Do you really think they're interested in that?

Because that worked really well for you?

>Are you saying that phallic objects would be a good idea for the game?
Eggplant Saga

a five nights at freddies clone

rekt

I'm using Unity3d, and I'd like to know what's a good way to get very primitive and cheap (performance wise) points of light. The lights that come with Unity seem to be rather high end, taxing, of course they also let you do shadows and stuff, but I'm not interested in that, but rather the extremely simple stuff that you would find in games like Quake 1. I mean the radiating light that happened when you shot a gun, a rocket or grenade exploded, when you picked quad damage, etc.

Which can't even get 60fps on most machines.

Do what Runescape and Doom did and directly draw them on.

mark them "not important" for forward, or use deferred which was invented for this exact purpose

docs.unity3d.com/410/Documentation/Manual/Lightmapping.html
There.
Bake your lighting.
>I mean the radiating light that happened when you shot a gun
You want cheaper dynamic lighting.
Have your materials do cheaper lighting computations.

Need a writer to come up with a short story for demoday

pic unrelated

for what game brother

It gets 60 FPS on the machines of people that care about FPS. If FPS actually mattered do you think the game would have become the best selling indie game of all time?

Any guidelines?

make sure your material use legacy type and mess around with the baking settings

Haha take that Notch!

Hey guys, this is probably a very common and echoed question here but does anyone know of any good books about common game dev data structures or design patterns?

(I posted this in the last thread to)

It barely runs on the computers of some of my friends.

My point isn't that the game was bad, but that the code (written in java) is poor. I think minecraft is a good game.

Its a hacking game, so all the exposition would have to come through things like emails, instant messages, finding text files on peoples computers, and news headlines/articles.

Im looking for like a main opponent/badguy, and an excuse you want to hack his series of computers.

Croteam's rec'd reading for applicants

Recommended literature:
– Bjarne Stroustrup: “The C++ Programming Language”
– The C++ FAQ: isocpp.org/wiki/faq
– Steve McConnell: “Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction”
– Steve Maguire: “Writing Solid Code”

>premade engine

Sounds like fun. Do you have any contact info?

fun = 0.012 * fps / gameplay

>minecraft is a good game
minecraft is a good idea with zero competition and a billion dollar marketing campaign

but it is not a good game

Fun, how soon do you need it?

When the fuck is spoopy coming home from his vacation? I just got a vive and want to playtest for him.

I have a couple of questions

I basically made 'chunks' of the body and haven't subdivided or smoothed anything out yet

- Do you check the rigging of the model before you subdivide?

- Do you put in texture before or after subdividing

All bad.

There are no good books.
Watch all of handmadehero.org
Or start where you need help.

I'm vestigialdev on Steam, or [email protected]

kerberos a cute

It's been proven that a game's fun is directly linked to the amount of frames it can generate

I think the gameplay of minecraft is fun. It really used to be so entertaining, and to a new player, the possibilities are so numerous.

I say used to be because, just like it happens in most games, I've run out of things to do. But I genuinely enjoyed it while it still had that novelty charm.

HOLD UP user

DID YOU MAKE SEPERATE MODELS FOR THOSE NIPPLES AND JUST ATTACH THEM TO THE BODY MESH?

.My point isn't that the game was bad, but that the code (written in java) is poor.
Yeah and his point was that even games written with poor code can be great games and be hugely successful.

>no game

Minecraft was a fucking great game. Still is. Careful with that fedora.

there wasn't anything to do to begin with, it's an empty shell with no direction or purpose

alpha smp was actually closer to being a finished game than the it is now

it's separate and I haven't really joined in the body mesh/object.
I figured it'll be easier for animation and just parent it to the body

Thanks user, been playing with that shadertoy demo the past half hour. You just singlehandedly made shaders approachable to me after the tutorials failed to. I'll go implement some selection circles now..

heh, nothing personnel ....... kid

>1.6 very large GabensFunConstant*FPS/CPUCycle
>CS:S lower
>CS:GO hardly any fun
>Warcraft 3 very high
>Starcraft 2 very low
Confirmed.

I emailed you

sent ;)

Good to hear. I'l save that explanation since it was pretty successful I suppose.
thanks for that gif

I.. understand, but why...?

Your opinion is shit.

>game isnt real time raytraced

>wasting performance on the least efficient form of rendering known to man

I'm gonna keep this in mind dude, thank you! (I already know java and c# pretty well and don't really feel like teaching myself c++ right now, but I will definitely look up the two other books!)

Thank you man! This seems awesome, will delve into asap!

It's also easier to just make new divisions in the main mesh for where you want your nipples and how big, and then properly weighting your shit so that way animating won't fuck those specific parts up.

I don't necessarily remember the exact details about why, but I do know it's mostly a memory thing. It's less stress on the system to render one mesh than to render multiples in real time.

2d game engine for releasing games on steam?

Is steam a good engine for 3d games?

Now, don't be rude

Alright, I guess I started the argument over nothing. You can have a good 3d Java game.

>alpha smp was actually closer to being a finished game than the it is now
How come?

i guess it's true

It has major advantages when you start approaching realistic rendering. So if your goals are high
Any work fine as long as you get to publish. It's more about what kind of game you're aiming to do. (my personal preference is angel2d or Urho3D, which has a 2D thing)
Steam can be used to run computations but asset loads are to high to handle the vertex count. You struggle to run at 1/60th fps. And that's below what most gamers will put up with.

Are you taking 3D modeling in high school or something? There's nothing wrong with making a separate models for the nipples. He just needs to put them over a vertex, and everything is good. There are multiple ways to go about constructing the end product. It's the end product that matters, and not whatever shart you learn from intro courses.

Make sure the nipple origin is connected to a vertex, which it currently isn't. This is a cheap and dirty way to fix any future problems you may have and works with what you're thinking of.

Released the dungeon game. Didn't get to complete everything before the jam finishing, but I'm happy with it.
cowthing.itch.io/dungeon-of-cor

subdivision is mostly for movies or sculpting, you want a just a good low poly mesh in a game (also quads aren't necessary for the lowpoly mesh, but keeping it mostly quads is easier to work with)

damn,,,

TOO Busy edition.

I'm hoping making the grid floors darker from now on with boku being white will help.

Here is an Mp4 to see it in motion;
i.gyazo.com/b2b88a983982c2f967ccc2814340e9a2.mp4

Any chance for a Linux / OS X / Web version?

looks like a harlequin teenager

Why do you even have FPS anymore?

You should be using delta time.

How about this:
Do games need endings? What if it's just a place to enjoy until you run out of stuff that you want to do. How would a game like fallout/oblivion do without a main story and just side quests?

What

>print deltatime for users
>"WHAT 0.1FPS?!"
>1 star reviews
But yeah we should do deltatime.

Remember, good programmers write proper code that doesn't need to check for null
If you have a line of "if(something == null)" then your code is inherently flawed

is it intentional that the side platforms are exactly the same shade as the walls?

and have you tried dark green and light green for the checkerboard?

youtube.com/watch?v=sqct087xM9E
>real CS research is making now darwing portraits in rembrand style that looks authentic
>meanwhile agdg coders complain they're too shitty for art or can't into art
>they're too retarded to make the computer make the art for them
where is god now, artfags?

When do you need it?

I find that leaves me dissatisfied. I keep playing beyond the period I should. It doesn't reflect bad on the game (for me) but it doesn't leave me as happy as something nice that ends at the right time (see Portal1).
>raii bs
Fuck you. It's just dumb.

cut my game into pieces

Idea guys unite! Together we will idea the greatest of all the game designs!

truly we will soon be the only ones with jobs

because big numbers are good and small numbers are bad, and we have good intuition for numbers between 1 and 100, but not for decimals

Alright I uploaded a Linux export. Let me know if it works.

The contrast is much better than before. I legit couldn't tell where the player was in the last image

It would be shit, because you'd have to rely on radiant quests which are always garbage. Just play fallout 4 and ignore the main quest to see what I mean.
Or just play WoW which is pretty much that since there's never a real "main quest"

Why does that TV have buttons on the front besides the screen? Kind of a shit design, but maybe I'm expecting too much from the art of a meme .gif.

You don't need one.

You don't write patterns intentionally, you find them in written code that you want to describe to someone else.

>ah yes, let's spend a month recreating one picture

>you can't change the code to produce diferent shit based on a scripting language or video footage
>not having a cheap beowulf cluster
>being poor
>being shit at programming

>Why does that TV have buttons on the front besides the screen?

where you born in the 2000's by any chance?

m8 we've had this shit for ages, I'm just funposting.
We've even learned to combine two separate objects into new pictures.

low energy post here

>and a billion dollar marketing campaign
lolwut
Notch literally just made the thing for fun and people were clawing down his door to get their hands on it. There was never any need to market it because the internet became quickly saturated with youtube videos and news articles and everything else.

Quick Question:

Lets say I have two unit types A and B. A can attack and move, while B can heal and move.
How do I program it so that when a user selects A, they are only given the choices to attack or move. And if they select B, they are only given the choices to heal or move?

97, but kinda close I guess.

Not sure if retarded or failed to bring point across.

Even when a game is developed properly and runs mechanically the same no matter the FPS the user is getting it is still a very good meter on how well the game runs.

Actually displaying delta time to users wouldn't really tell them much because they're mostly too stupid and FPS is already an established metric to show how well a game is running.

C L A S S E S

depends on the game
elaborate

If you're using C#, use delegates