Let's say that I have an idea for a machine that can put a Patek Philippe in my wrist and a Porsche Carrera in my...

Let's say that I have an idea for a machine that can put a Patek Philippe in my wrist and a Porsche Carrera in my garage in the next 2 years, but I have a problem.
I know how the machine should work, the pieces to build it and all the logistic behind said machine, but I don't have the knowledge nor the money to build it.
The market for this machine is huge, as there is no other machine that do what it does and everyone in here would check it out at least once.

So what should I do?

I would imagine the first step it to get a patent sobyou cant have it taken from you.

I can't patent an idea. I need something solid.

google how to protect an idea. basically apply for a provisional patent, maybe trademark the name of this machine, have any builder you meet with sign an NDA before you give them too much info, and record the meetings where you pitch the idea.

as far as actually getting the machine built, I have no suggestions.

Tell us in broad terms what it does without telling about the mechanism of how it does it.

My uncle invented and built a revolutionary refrigirating system, had 100 percent working prototypes and it has many valuable applications especially in the fishing buisness. He literally spent the last 30 years running around the globe trying to sell it with little to no avail. So advice number one would be to curb your enthusiasm completely.

Is it a machine that warms nachos to resteraunt temperatures?

is it a machine that gets u a gf

Let me explain thsi right, I just need to build one machine and everyone in the world could use it for free. The money would come from what would you do with it.

It's a "new" concept but in the paper it would work perfectly.

We are not ready for this machine yet, user. Not yet.

> Patek Philippe
> not Voutilainen

Stay pleb.

I really like the Sky Moon Celestial, it would be a matter of taste and "I got the Patek because I like and not because I cant afford a Voutilainen". But back in the thread, any tip beside the watch brand?

You don't need a working prototype to get a patent, drawings are enough.

Other than that, it sounds like an impossible daydream based on what little you said.

I understand your point of view, without knowing how it would work it really sounds like a daydream. I will seek a professional that can help me with the patent then hire two or more person so they can draw without knowing what the hell is that.

They will draw different parts.

German Engineer with a lot of business experience, i've also build a few companies myself.
If you're interested I can cosult you. Obviously not for free.

Mechanical engineer reporting in.

It can be done ez sqee-z

I appreciate, but I already have person in mind for this.

Yes, but no.

Part of getting a patent is describing it with specificity sufficient to convince the PTO that you actually have reduced the invention to practice, that is, it's more than just some idea in your head. For pretty much any type of invention nowadays, that entails describing the state of the art at the time of filing and describing how your invention is different from it. You're right that you no longer have to send examples for storage in the Library of Congress/PTO basement, but you're wrong in implying that it means you can patent some nebulous concept.

OP: To do this properly, TELL NO-ONE and see if you can get an engineer with the background necessary (as close as you can get subject matter wise - be prepared to agree to have them as a co-inventor on the patent and get royalties on your machine) to sign an NDA. Get them to look at your idea in detail and figure out the mechanics of implementation as much as possible. Then go find a patent prosecution attorney and get them to file an application for you ASAP. The engineer is critical to helping you reduce this thing to practice in a definite way, the patent prosecutor is necessary to get your foot in the PTO's door and prevent applicable time limits from running out. The two will probably have to work together a lot in the inevitable case when you have to submit amended claims with a bunch of limitations.

In the mean time, begin to document EVERYTHING (get some lab notebooks with numbered/dated pages), try to get something as tangible as possible built/modeled, and begin to do careful research (scholar.google.com, the PTO website, etc.) to see if there are any patents/applications similar to your invention.

TELL NO-ONE EXCEPT THE ENGINEER AND YOUR ATTORNEY, PERIOD.

Holy shit, user.
This sounds perfect. I will get some notebooks today and start this.

So, just some general tips:
1.Get your patent application asap! Basicly focus on this the next week, you should apply for a patent in september, otherwise you've failed.

2. Until then, get your NDA ready. Don't go for damage compensation lines here, put clear and horrifying numbers in it.

3. Get your team but take your time her. In my early projects I've rushed that point way to many times. It is a real pain in the ass to get people out later on.

4. Work your ass off as hell. If you have less than 70 productive hours a week it probably wont work. Track your productivity.

Damn I love German efficiency.