Let's talk about death, immortality, and infinity

Let's talk about death, immortality, and infinity.

Watch this movie. It's got all you need to know.

>tfw you grow a mullet and it becomes sentient

Why do people parade Interstellar like it's the next 2001: A Space Odyssey?

I's a good movie, yeah, but I've never saw it as something revolutionary.

Care to explain?

Shit bait.

I for one can't wait for the sweet embrace of the oblivion

Would you prefer to die or to live for ever?

Does infinity actually exist in the universe? If we are to be immortal would we get bored eventually If it does not exist wouldn't we just get bored of it all? Sure it might take trillions of years to do everything, but still wouldn't we just get bored and die? What would you do as an immortal? The only way I see to dodge this is to have constant memory deletion. But wouldn't that just be as worse as dying? etc. Questions I'm having a hard time just thinking about.

The idea of infinity, death are and the universe is just too abstract for me to think about, at least lately.

I've always thought that I've wanted to live forever, but the more I think about it the "less" it "appeals" however, the thought of nothingness still scares the living shit out of me. It seems that we're fucked either way. The more self aware, and conscious we are, the more our potential to suffer. A divine joke.

*Bored and want to die.

It was really good until the ending. The effects, sound design, environments are all A+. It's only like 2001 in that regard. Really impressive visually. It's shit when comparing the stories, and themes. 2001 is just broader, and executed better. Intestellar is just some hollywood crap, especially towards the end.

I believe that God is omnipotent and loves me. Which logically means that God wouldn't want me to stop existing unless it turns out that's the best thing for me.

I sort of think it might be. Who knows?

>The only way I see to dodge this is to have constant memory deletion. But wouldn't that just be as worse as dying?
This is very confusing for me also. I have a fear of death, because it makes everything ultimately pointless since I won't remember it.

But then again, there are many happy days from when I was five years old, that I remember literally nothing about. From my five-year-old's perspective, aren't I already dead?

Is there anything scientifically which can support an afterlife?

>I've always thought that I've wanted to live forever
I think that we imagine that eternal life will be like it is now. Which is why children want to live forever, they generally live in a nice bubble.

Whereas now, when I think of "living forever", I imagine having tinnitus forever.

Of course both views are shortsighted. Quality of life is everything.

Well there's a really high chance that would be cured in time. My biggest fear of immortality is the possibility of no true infinity and simply running out of things to do.

>Well there's a really high chance that would be cured in time
Don't you start. I've been on that ride a dozen times. Tinnitus is a great money-maker for some.

Deep down I know perfectly well that I "could" just ignore it. But I don't directly control my limbic system. Brains are shit.

I could be a hermit for a million years, but I would probably eventually get bored. Unless my memory were to get deleted. I could fight for another million, see every possible fight in a trillion or whatever and then be bored of that as well, and so on. It's a really long time, but still its finite the number of things that can happen right? The slight ways things can go differently etc.

Infinity is such a difficult concept for me to grasp.

If we were immortals and our race survived another 1000 years or whatever we would more than likely see a cure. Don't be ridiculous.

Is dreamless sleep essentially what death would be like?

Prob

The end was complete bullshit, we don't know what's inside a black hole so they can make up shit sure, but we do know that if you fall into a black hole, you die.

How do Janus figures represent death or infinity? OPs post would have been more suitable with pic related

When you die, to the degree your life was in your body and the human world, is the degree to which you sink into oblivion, because death by definition is the end of that which is perishable.

You have to forge your own immortality.

The being bored argument has never made sense to me. Because humans always find things to do, to fill up their time, and so on.

So why would people be bored if they lived infinitely?

It is quite worrying as you ger older how you cannot remember certain experiences from your life. Childhood photos are always strange to look at, as you often have no recollection of the event ever happening.

This is why my biggest hope is for an infinite amount of completely different things existing.

yeah thought the film was really good up until that point, which was so contrived

when it just spat him out whole and completely unharmed was ridiculous as well - at least have him be trapped in the void forever

Quantum mechanics

If dying is what I've got coming then it hardly matters what I think of it. I have absolutely no way of knowing what happens then, at the same time I have no way to avoid finding it out. Though I should say I'd like to stay human, specifically me. I have no desire to reach any higher state of being, if it means my human identity is lost.

It doesn't really. Only Veeky Forums related thing i had and i like janus anyways.

Because eventually no matter how long it takes you run out of things to do.

Like i can enjoy life for trillons of years, but when there's nothing else to do, i just cant live for longer without nothing else to do

k

I want to live forever. I want to keep experiencing things, keep seeing and learning things. That might change eventually, I suppose.
>you will never know how everything ends
Never made sense to me either, I always have stuff to do. That might be because I'm a bit of a procrastinator, though.
Beginnings and endings

I love this thread.

then keep it alive :^)

>tfw don't want to die
>don't want to live forever either
900 years like it was at the beginning of genesis would be fine i guess

Alright

To those that believe in a soul and an afterlife,

How do you reconcile this idea with the knowledge that your consciousness exists on different levels throughout your life ranging from infancy to potential genius levels to potential vegetable brain damage levels. You hit your head once and you're entire consciousness is basically gone. Lobotomy... Damage to the hippocampus... etc etc... Would you just assume the soul as a more abstract idea not attached to consciousness? Would you then agree that "you" as far as your consciousness goes, vanishes upon death?

What dies?
What lives?

Here's a (((You)))

Well put

The whole problem lies in self awareness. Do we exist if we're not aware of ourselves? And if we are self aware what happens when we become unaware for example when we die?

Janus is a such an interesting god
Only major Roman god of Indo-European stock that didn't get subjected to interpretatio graeca

>Do we exist if we're not aware of ourselves?
yes
>And if we are self aware what happens when we become unaware for example when we die?
nobody knows

Is human personality infinite

I believe that there is a Self that is further back than the mind. This is the only thing that really matters. It's the thing that can veto the mind in an act of free will, and it's the thing that experiences.

Preservation of the Self is most important.

Also it seems likely to me that all memories are stored on a spiritual server that you get access to later. Memory loss is just a mini form of death, it's part of a compromised world.

Reproduction is in a sense our natural ability to resist death in perpetuating many (mostly physical) parts of ourselves. A similar sentiment is how those famous minds throughout history are 'immortal' because of how widely read and popular their ideas are.

This is THE ultimate philosophy problem in my opinion.

>Intestellar is just some hollywood crap

Kubrick is THE defintion of Hollywood shit, he is an over-glorifed cinematographer who does not deserve to be called a great director with the likes of Bergman and Ozu.

Interesting, but like most problems with the divine it is impossible to know for sure, and any answers are just speculation.

Highly underrated post.

Fucking epic

It sounds like you're underestimating infinite time

Immortality doesn't sound so bad if you have someone else to expirence it with

The brain is a way for the soul to communicate with the physical world, similar to a computer. As the brain grows, the soul becomes more capable of sending//receiving/holding more complex ideas to/from the brain. If the brain is damaged, so is the information it sends/receives/holding.

tnx.

Like are movies, literature, music etc infinite? Are there infinite ideas?

Bump

you'd probably get sick of each other

If there are an infinite amount of things we haven't discovered yet, then yes.

Part of me hopes you're right but I have no evidence to make me believe what you are saying is true

are planets infinite? Sure if the universe has an ending we Wouldn't see all of them probably, but if there is no ending wouldn't we eventually see every single combination? Are there infinite combinations? My head just hurts thinking about it

I seriously need another viewpoint

Of course planets aren't infinite. One day, the iron core of the earth will stop producing a magnetic field and the solar winds will blow away our atmosphere, leaving earth nothing but a dusty husk just like mars. Eventually, when all the stars are dead, the universe will be eternal, pitch darkness as entropy increases to maximum.

If protons decay, then eventually the universe will be completely empty, and completely dark.

I don't want to live forever if that's what forever is like.

Fuck i forgot what i was going to say haha

I've always thought the biggest problem with immortality would be perspective time dilation. In that, as we age and the quantity of our experiences and knowledge increases, our perception of time is compressed. It's the reason that, say, the length of a school day as a child seemed to be an excruciatingly long period, while, as adults, we look back at things that happened six months ago and can't believe time went by so quickly.

So yeah, the brain is weird in that regard. Without addressing that issue, after a awhile years, decades, even millennia would feel like mere minutes to us, and we would essentially just be racing to the end of the universe.

Read the whole post

Wow, I never really thought about it like that. Immortality to me has always seemed like more of a curse then a blessing but when you put it like that, it would be interesting to see if everything ends sometime.

This is one of the best threads ive read on here in a while. Its so fascinating that everyone has their own theories on the perception of the afterlife or lack thereof