GNU/Linux videogames (ported and open source games)

All ported videogames, Steam, Wine, GPU passthrough and related vritualization for your favorite OS.

Steam: github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux

GOG.com: webupd8.org/2014/08/lgogdownloader-command-line-gogcom-game.html

Thread on /t/ (Torrents) about ported videogames: List of open source games for GNU/Linux (all tested and played): ghostbin.com/paste/z74bj/raw

Other lists: penguspy.com/, libregamewiki.org/Main_Page, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_games

Podcasts: youtube.com/user/tuxreviews, youtube.com/user/Jakejw93

More info: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_gaming

Featuring: Sonic The HedgeHog 3D: youtube.com/watch?v=-1_dkVq8vAs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LfmBjSKGyaA
youtube.com/watch?v=w3P39lppcH4
youtube.com/watch?v=fMM87ep8jDo
teksyndicate.com/videos/gta-v-linux-skylake-build-hardware-vm-passthrough
gamingonlinux.com/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home
youtube.com/watch?v=EULXRMR4PyE
youtube.com/watch?v=Eeyrh7G7voI
youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
youtube.com/watch?v=ueosN-JFqG0
youtube.com/watch?v=rNARHNc3p7g
youtube.com/watch?v=suqkkfCeiqE
youtube.com/watch?v=GxrePTnPm9k
youtube.com/watch?v=EgJlCen3Sko
youtube.com/watch?v=fzE3-Sgq-Dw
youtube.com/watch?v=-IiD41Djw_4
youtube.com/watch?v=DzY5Y6vBo7k
youtube.com/watch?v=ayNg4f9JPJA
youtube.com/watch?v=t5UIOIoMV1Q
youtube
youtube.com/watch?v=jaZyleuVQx0
youtube.com/watch?v=gp0wi4gScdY
youtube.com/watch?v=8fR5thKYpSU
youtube.com/watch?v=jR2V0MqStK8
youtube.com/watch?v=ERKgW7PWSU0
youtube.com/watch?v=o73TDDfZtjE
youtube.com/watch?v=CNGZfJN49E8
youtube.com/watch?v=fDEAH3Pfsic
lgdb.org/
github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux
webupd8.org/2014/08/lgogdownloader-command-line-gogcom-game.html
gamingonlinux.com
lgdb.org/
penguspy.com
libregamewiki.org/Main_Page
ghostbin.com/paste/z74bj/raw
youtu.be/fRG3vyEsKRo
youtu.be/JCYfO6UPhes
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU
youtube.com/watch?v=Hj2lkPpoAhE
wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough
reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2z0evz/gpu_passthrough_or_how_to_play_any_game_at_near/
appdb.winehq.org/
wiki.winehq.org/Main_Page
github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/wiki/Installation
youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZjJUZ3s0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=BlJeb_Il3eI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

benis

Teeworlds, a multiplayer shooting game
youtube.com/watch?v=LfmBjSKGyaA

The Battle For Wesnoth, a turn-based strategy game youtube.com/watch?v=w3P39lppcH4

Oolite, space trading and combat simulator
youtube.com/watch?v=fMM87ep8jDo

This thread looks neat. I can't really contribute much expect posting my steam lib. I have less than a third of what I used to have in Windows, but that's fine when Wine runs most of them pretty well. Has anyone done a GPU passthrough? That sounds pretty cool, but the drawbacks are immediate like sacrificing your discrete GPU for a Windows KVM and not having hardware supporting the passthrough. It's be amazing if it could be done easily with one GPU, but X doesn't like that.

from Hi.

Just commenting and reviewing helps a lot, somehow you broke the autosAge.

Hello there.

Fucking noice. I only keep a small partition for like 10 games on Windows, and the rest I play on Debian.

One question: does anyone know of a good replacement for Afterburner's performance overlay in Linux?

Also, has anyone here attempted a GPU passthrough? How did it go if so?

Oh hey I also asked about passthroughs, sorry I didn't read your post

I see you have Civ V there. Did you manage to get anti-aliasing working on it? I also noticed the texture loading is rather slow compared to the Windows version

I am more of libre games myself but QEMU-KVM with a processor that supports either Intel VT-d or AMD svm (IOMMU for both) is what you want.

I do have a lot of pasta teksyndicate.com/videos/gta-v-linux-skylake-build-hardware-vm-passthrough

I actually haven't tried it yet on Linux. I switched very recently, haven't been on it for more than 6 months. I'll download it and report back just don't expect it anytime soon. The thread might die while I try it.

Hopefully not. It's always been my dream that I can finally fully ditch Windows one day and still play most games natively. I wonder if sales figures are increasing significantly for the platform or if they're just kind of coasting

Let's just hope there's a market for it so more developers pay attention to linux

Remember :

No tux, no bux
Never trust a company when they promise a linux release, you'll be disappointed, wait for an official release.
Always buy your games from a linux system.
Don't be ashamed to post on the game forum or steam discussions and tell the developers to port a game you wanna play on linux.
Do not start petitions, they are useless
Wine is a great piece of software when you want to run some old tittles and that doesn't require a lot of resources, but remember : WINE IS NOT THE SOLUTION.
With wine you're not sure the game will run (see : elite dangerous, overwatch, gta 5...). It won't work well and you might have some issues.
The unique solution to gaming on linux is to force developers using openGL / vulkan / game engines permitting a cross platform software.

For any winbaby defending this piece of shit of OS, fuck off. If those guy could think 2 seconds, they would notice linux is a better platform and would give them better performances in game if developers optimized their games for linux.

useful websites :
gamingonlinux.com/

if I forgot something, feel free to update it. But please. Apply the :
>no tux no bux
>do not trust devs on a promise
Those retards only think with money and see linux as not profitable (even if that is false in 90% of the cases).

>One question: does anyone know of a good replacement for Afterburner's performance overlay in Linux?
steam has a framerate counter

OpenTTD, a business simulation game in which players try to earn money via transporting passengers and freight by road, rail, water and air. Remake and expansion of Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
youtube.com/watch?v=EULXRMR4PyE

Great advice man, all true, every word. If we are going to have a gaming platform the developers must realize now is the time to port games.

Let's be real here, Linux marketshare is abysmal, of course devs won't port games here, we're just a few in the sea of Windows. I do agree on the Vulkan stance. I was using Windows 7 just before 10 came out and there was excitement for DX12 until it was announced to be an exclusive feature. Vulkan runs everywhere and porting shouldn't be that much of a problem. With the growing popularity of mobile games, they will definitely set their sights on this neat API.

There are also some rumors about an Nvidia Linux distribution. I dislike Nvidia and their closed minded attitude, but their presence is one to be reckoned with. They're practically Apple in the GPU side which is funny since Apple mostly goes with AMD.

>Nvidia distro

Whaaaaaat? Nah
Why would they? They have enough trouble with their drivers already

0 A.D., cross-platform real-time strategy game. Developed by Wildfire Games (awarded Top 100 Best Mods and Indies of 2008 -and you'll see why-).
youtube.com/watch?v=Eeyrh7G7voI

As I see developers always come were is money.

Lets promote GNU/Linux-friendly developers.

I know it's a far stretch but -
any of you tried game deving on GNU/Linux?

What's it been like?

I really want to get into it and be able to compile binaries for both Linux (first) and then Windows

I was into deving from some time ago. I think either SDL or OpenGL + OpenAL is the easiest way to have a multiplatform game. Check at the game with the Blender engine too (YoFrankie).

Obligatory.
youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI

OpenRA.
clone of not one but three Commnad&Conquer through his mods
youtube.com/watch?v=ueosN-JFqG0

Let me tell you a secret, you can totally use the source code of a GPL game to make your videogame and still make profit from it, you are only requested to give any change to the source code that is not your own artistic assets, meaning, you keep the trademark and the money.

I don't even have an explicit option for AA.
What are your specs?

MegaGlest, an RTS where you control the armies of one of seven different factions: Tech, Magic, Egypt, Indians, Norsemen, Persian or Romans.
youtube.com/watch?v=rNARHNc3p7g

Endgame: Singularity, science fiction strategy/simulation game.
youtube.com/watch?v=suqkkfCeiqE

Those channels are pretty embarrassing..

Which Way Is Up, 2D platformer game with a rotational twist.
youtube.com/watch?v=GxrePTnPm9k

Please provide better alternatives.

Fish Fillets NG, sliding puzzle games like sokoban and klotski.
youtube.com/watch?v=EgJlCen3Sko

Torus Trooper, a shoot'em up.
youtube.com/watch?v=fzE3-Sgq-Dw

Planeshift, MMORPG.
youtube.com/watch?v=-IiD41Djw_4 (

OpenDungeons, dungeon keeper anyone?
youtube.com/watch?v=DzY5Y6vBo7k

Raincat, 2D puzzle game featuring a fuzzy little cat.
youtube.com/watch?v=ayNg4f9JPJA

Pingus, puzzle-platformer (Lemmings style).
youtube.com/watch?v=t5UIOIoMV1Q

This is the last until someone posts again. The thread is sinking everytime I post, is this some new cruel rule of Veeky Forums?

I don't have the slightest idea. Maybe it autosages on youtube replies for some reason?

FreeOrion, turn-based galactic empire strategy game.
youtube .com/watch? v=0Ma3XpypKu0

Youtube? Damn.

MegaMek, turn-based strategy game that simulates the Classic BattleTech board game.
youtube .com/watch? v=ybGoyQIRKAI

OpenClonk, 2D action game in which you control clonks, small but witty and nimble humanoid beings. It is mainly about mining, settling and fast-paced melees and features lots of action-rich and tactical gameplay elements. The game can be played both single-player and multiplayer.

Urban Terror started as a realism based "total conversion" mod for Quake III Arena. Nowadays, Urban Terror is played using the free, stand-alone, ioquake3 engine modified, which doesn't require Quake III Arena, in addition to being an add-on to id Software's Quake III Arena.
youtube.com/watch?v=jaZyleuVQx0

As much as I would like to share the lists of open source gaames, posting many times is what it sinks threads, so I won't be posting regularly. Sorry.

OP can't bump his own thread, this holds for all boards

I played this game a lot 5 or 6 years ago
its great

Vega Strike is a first-person space trading and combat simulator.
youtube.com/watch?v=gp0wi4gScdY

UFO2000 is a turn based tactical squad simulation game with multiplayer support. It is heavily inspired by the famous X-COM: UFO Defense game and can load graphics resources and maps from it providing X-COM look and feel with multiplayer experience.
youtube.com/watch?v=8fR5thKYpSU

UFO:Alien Invasion. It is the year 2084. You control a secret organisation charged with defending Earth from a brutal alien enemy. Build up your bases, prepare your team, and dive head-first into the fast and flowing turn-based combat.
youtube.com/watch?v=jR2V0MqStK8

Liquid War is a unique multi-player action game. It is based on an original shortest path algorithm and core concept by Thomas Colcombet and programmed by Christian Mauduit.
youtube.com/watch?v=ERKgW7PWSU0

M.A.R.S. – a ridiculous shooter.
youtube.com/watch?v=o73TDDfZtjE

Unknown Horizons is a genre-mix of city-building game and real-time strategy game.
youtube.com/watch?v=CNGZfJN49E8

World of Padman (WoP) is an open source first-person shooter video game available in both English and German.
youtube.com/watch?v=fDEAH3Pfsic

And there is more on the OP.

As long as I can't sink them either.

This is my exit. See you guys tomorrow.

Well that's a shame. I appreciate the dump.

What would it take to convince more people who play videogames to switch to Linux?

It's kind of a chicken/egg issue, because for people to want to switch there have to be more games, but for there to be more games there have to be more people interested

I really wish we could have this be an established general thread. If only more curious users came by and asked about Linux and why it's a good idea to switch (both the ideological and practical reasons), that'd be neat

I'm not here to shill, but I'm a dev and I just installed Qubes OS, so hopefully it'll be easy for me to test and release my game for linux.

I use OpenGL with SDL and Qt for making tools, never ran into any issues compiling for Windows from Linux.

Linux market share is ~2M gamers. And it is not counting the number of people that would switch if some games were ported to linux. Every devs reported enough sales to make the port worth it.

I don't think gamers care about ethical reasons. All they should know, the selling points are :
You'll get better performances once devs make their stuff for linux
Your system is malware free
Your system won't crash as much as Windows do
Don't buy Windows and use those 130€ to buy games

See I didn't saw your post before posting

Hopefully the situation is starting to be solved thx to Microsoft. They forced valve to create steam OS and push linux, they fucked up seriously with the privacy issues and dx12 being win10 only. Devs are tired of ms monopoly and wants linux to succed. Only big companies like blizzard don't want to make the switch now because a good port would cost them too much probably

I have passthrough with an AMD card while i use an nvidia card for linux. it works really well.

DED
E
D

Is it possible to play OpenRCT and SS13 on Linux? I've been planning to switch to Linux and these are practically the only games I still play.

Nice idea for a thread, but I'd suggest:
1- Add LGDB to the OP: lgdb.org/
2- No fucking Canonical bullshit

That game is so fucking great. Shame there's little to no replay value.

Used to play UT a lot, solid stuff for an independent, low-budget FPS.

Sorry to be blunt familia, but do you even Google? Both OpenRCT and BYOND(the platform SS13 runs on) have official Linux releases.

>Do you even Google?
No, I'm too lazy. Also I figured it'd be more complicated and would maybe involve WINE.

This is going to be the pasta for the next OP (modify as you please):

/glv/ - GNU/Linux videogames (ported and open source)

All ported videogames, Steam, Wine, GPU passthrough and related vritualization for your favorite OS.

Remember, no tux, no bux:

Never trust a company when they promise a linux release, you'll be disappointed, wait for an official release.
Always buy your games from a linux system.
Don't be ashamed to post on the game forum or steam discussions and tell the developers to port a game you wanna play on linux.
Wine is a great piece of software when you want to run some old tittles and that doesn't require a lot of resources, but remember: WINE IS NOT THE SOLUTION.
With wine you're not sure the game will run (see : elite dangerous, overwatch, gta 5...). It won't work well and you might have some issues.
The unique solution to gaming on linux is to force developers using openGL / vulkan / game engines permitting a cross platform software.
If you see a developer supporting Linux promote him as much as you can on forums, write about him on your blog, tell your friends how much you appreciate what he does. Remember, Gabe Newell believes in you.

For any winbaby defending that piece of shit of OS, fuck off. If you could think 2 seconds you would notice linux is a better platform and can give you better performances in game if developers optimized their games for linux.

>Steam

>GOG.com

>Thread on /t/ (Torrents) about ported videogames
>News and Reviews
gamingonlinux.com
lgdb.org/

>GNU/Linux open source games
penguspy.com

I think the:
>For any winbaby defending that piece of shit of OS, fuck off. If you could think 2 seconds you would notice linux is a better platform and can give you better performances in game if developers optimized their games for linux.
Line is unnecessary. It only encourages windows users to come and shit on the general without contributing. Plus, we're not fedora-tipping faggots posting on /r/linuxmasterrace

Check out Factorio.

It's a top down shooter where you're building factory chains to produce shit. If you like programming and being creative this game is for you.

youtu.be/fRG3vyEsKRo

youtu.be/JCYfO6UPhes

Removed. Also added a section on PCI/GPU passthrough.

>PCI/GPU Passthrough
reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2z0evz/gpu_passthrough_or_how_to_play_any_game_at_near/

Might be a good idea to add AppDB too:
>Before asking if runs on wine, check here:
appdb.winehq.org/

Oh fuck, you remembered me I still haven't bought it.

I have this set up. I use it for the few games that I can't play natively or in wine. It works very well. I even have it set up so that I can stream from the VM to a Steam Link.

is appchan bugging out for you too?

I've noticed that sometimes i cant click the Submit button to make a post and i have to reload the page a rewrite the comment again.

That's quite a number of GPUs.

I have two GPUs on my main system, one for host and one for the VM. The other Screenfetch is from the server/nas running in my basement. I installed a GPU for diagnosing something on the server and I decided to leave it in for when I can't SSH in for whatever reason.

I am using 4chanx. I hate it when forms get erased like that. I installed Lazarus for firefox, which lets me recover things that were typed in a form easily.

Added a section on Wine:

>Wine wiki
>Wine-Staging (latest and experimental features)
>Database of applications running in Wine
appdb.winehq.org/

This thread is about to die.

In case it does here is the updated OP:

/gogl/ - Gaming on GNU/Linux

Steam, Wine, GPU passthrough and all open source and ported video games for your favourite OS. Remember, no tux, no bux:

1. Don't trust a company when they promise a linux release, wait for an official release.
2. Always buy your games from a linux system.
3. Don't be ashamed to post on the game forum or steam discussions to tell the developers to port a game you wanna play on linux.
4. Wine is a great piece of software when you want old tittles or that doesn't require a lot of resources, but is not the final solution. With wine you're not sure the game will run, might not work well and you might have some issues.
5. The unique solution to gaming on linux is to force developers using openGL / vulkan / game engines permitting a cross platform software.
6. If you see a developer supporting Linux promote him as much as you can on forums, write about him on your blog, tell your friends how much you appreciate what he does. Remember, Gabe Newell believes in you.

>Steam

>GOG.com

>Thread on /t/ (Torrents) on ported videogames
>News and Reviews
gamingonlinux.com
lgdb.org/

>GNU/Linux open source games
penguspy.com

>Wine wiki
>Wine Staging (latest and experimental features for Wine)
>Database of applications running in Wine
appdb.winehq.org/

>PCI/GPU Passthrough

RX480 looks promising for those thinking of running open source drivers on Linux. I personally think it defeats the purpose since games are closed source, but it's still a nice thing.

What's with all the hype for that card on Linux? I thought everybody knew AMD drivers are a bad meme and AMD drivers for Linux are even worse.

That's a great game.

I did type open source drivers, user. Fact is that AMD is still far behind Nivida on Linux performance. Phoronix's recent benchmarks show it clearly.

I thought the Open Source drivers were no big deal either? Last I heard AMD did open up a lot of stuff to help the OS drivers devs, which is quite commendable, but it didn't help much because modern GPUs are quite complex beasts only a handful of AMD engineers can make sense of, and they can only dedicate so much time to helping the OS drivers devs understand what they're looking at.

and even then that just happened recently

Xonotic, a free and open-source first-person shooter.
youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZjJUZ3s0Y

>tfw my debian keeps saying eth0 is powered off

I wonder how many developers are lurking, we have quite a few questions about it (despite the slow pace of the thread).

Nice thread fellow penguins
Been looking for a linux thread here for a while now

Any top down zelda clones on Steam compatible with linux?

I'm really digging those.

I'm proud that I did à nice pasta.
I think Windows users need to know why linux is great and why they should support it. See Modify it as much as you want, I'm not english so there might be mistakes.

Maybe I'm blind but I didn't saw anything about Unreal Tournament. This Game is open source and rely on the community for a lot of stuff
When I gave it a try the linux installer was hidden on a forum post

I'm on a phone so it's tricky to find à link and screenshots. If someone can do it please

Ah, Oolite. The game I played years ago and loved.

The game that tricked me into buying Elite: Dangerous when it came out.

Find about this game called Goetia, is a new release and came out for Linux youtube.com/watch?v=BlJeb_Il3eI

Good to see developers coming to reason.

Kind of run out of space on the OP, barely any space left to add more lines without Veeky Forums telling me is too long. I'll see what I can do to edit the OP.

There is a saga called "X" which has a lot in common. Been a fan myself of that saga and now there is a release for Linux. Deals a lot about trading and also has space combat. You can feel in space like you wouldn't believe, there is a torrent on the ported games thread on /t/, check it