/domg/ - Dominions General

Iron Angel Edition

Previous Pantokrator Dominions is a fantasy turn-based strategy game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a strategy game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/dHdZ1cch

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam (currently -50%). Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Start playing multiplayer games

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Beda3kFNjo
youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64
wanwan.moe/
astral-corruption.corgiorgy.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The only thing dominions really needs is a thorough balance going over (including giving neglected nations some good national spells), and some UI/ quality of life changes
And mod commands for everything so that people can fix Illwinter's shit more easily

An actually decent interface

Asking again for the new thread. What exactly would you change in Dominions as far as 'polish' goes? Is there anything bigger you'd change?

Also since it's a new thread and everybody will be looking have more screenshots of me killing Nazca.

We already told you, interface and balance

Ye, but I'd like to know if there's anything more to it than that. Maybe if the game was picked up by a publisher it could have fancier servers or something?

higher resolution Nephilim dicks

>Fancier servers
Why?
Admittedly it would be pretty shit if llamaserver disappeared for whatever reason, but it's perfectly functional for what it does with the exception of setting people AI remotely.
Aside from that, balancing dominions will be tricky and depend on what direction whoever is balancing the game thinks it should go. One issue is that blood is just so much better than every other path in lategame, it's not even close to gem based paths in how scaleable it is, and someone looking to balance that would have to decide whether just to nerf blood or change the gem economy somewhat so there's an excuse to summon all the cool shit that's in the game but never gets used because it's simply not efficient.

>all this game needs is more balancing!!!!!!!

Sure, if you think of it as a tactics game with a clumsy, tacked-on strategy overworld.

The reason no-one besides you guys and your small community are playing it isn't because it's "deep" or "complex", it's got nothing going for it beyond manipulating the spell system for battles.

It's sad, because Illwinter has shown that they can make something remotely workable as a proper strategy game, even if it's ridiculously barebones (Conquest of Elysium), but they'd rather repackage the same game with minor fixes and sell it to braindead fans over and over again.

>clumsy, tacked-on strategy overworld
meme criticism. The simplicity of the overworld is a good thing. Having to make sure that every province has adequate plumbing wouldn't make the game better.

> Having to make sure that every province has adequate plumbing wouldn't make the game better.
Yeah, that's a fair and commonplace example!

We're at page 7 already, where's the wolf poster?

I hope he died.

I was thinking more Rome: Total War than Civilization there. I love Rome to bits but the 'squalor' system was such fucking bullshit that did nothing but kill my enthusiasm in long games.

And Civilization's tree doesn't really work as a side-by-side comparison with Dominions as Dominions is a wargame not a 4x. There's a case to be made as to why Dominions only allows advancement in magic, leaving conventional armies in the dust late-game, and maybe a couple of other things too but infrastructure would be nothing but busywork that would distract from the purpose of the game.

Dominions is about organizing a range of military resources more cleverly and efficiently than your opponents. There's only so much you can do there before you're changing the base of the game.

We'd be the deadest general in Veeky Forums if it weren't for him.

tbhfams people's disappointment with dominions comes from people miscrediting dominions, both from people trying to shill the game so they have more people to play with, retarded shitters that are easily impressed by everything, and faggots who try to brag about anything to make themselves look smart to others

Dominions should be shilled as a 'tactical risk with magic', because that's really what it is, and there's nothing wrong with this because the game really is good.

But it's not deep, it's not complex, the difficulty in dominions comes from burden of knowledge, there's a huge variety of options given to you and you must figure out which one is the best one for a given situation. The difficulty is also tactical, and other than that, the strategic difficulty comes from learning to use your tools in a smart way so you don't shoot yourself in the foot 50 turns later or don't prepare yourself.

If people weren't misinforming faggots in the first place, we wouldn't have these discussions and memes about dominions, you bring this on yourselves every thread you keep that marketingspeak pasta in the OP, you bring this on yourselves every time you try and shill the game to others, steam reviews bring this to ourselves, etc

>retarded shitters that are easily impressed by everything, and faggots who try to brag about anything to make themselves look smart to others
When did this happen

>But it's not deep, it's not complex, the difficulty in dominions comes from burden of knowledge
I'd almost agree, except I can't think of a strategy game which this couldn't be easily applied to.

Dominions has a heavier than usual burden of knowledge, but most strategy games do not have complicated choices once you've learnt them.

This website is full of faggots like this, just look at /gsg/

Thank you awoo poster, you keep the threads alive so that we may shitpost in harmony and contentment.

Yeah, I didn't phrase it right, I should've said dominions difficulty comes from a burden of knowledge far bigger than other strategy games, and it's not as deep or complex are people make it sound like

PEACEANDHARMONY theredos.
do your fucking turn.

or else?

You find a lot of idiots in other generals, yes, but when did that ever happen in the context of dominions and in this general? Aside from the occasional lone shitposter, it's not like there's some circlejerk going on about how dominions players are supa speshul, this general isn't busy enough for that.

/v/ and Veeky Forums dominions threads, which now that we mention them, I don't think there's been any for a long while

From what I've seen of those threads, there wasn't really much of that going on. I'm pretty sure Veeky Forums only really likes it because there's a bunch of cool monsters and mythology in the game to mash together, and people on /v/ get excited when seeing 10,000 skeletons

This game is shit

yes

I still think it's more complex than any other strategy game I've tried.

If you look at the spell/item/unit lists and take out things which are useless or not available to you, you're still left with lots of choices. Much more than most other games of the type.

More usable options doesn't necessarily mean more depth, but they usually go together.

>and it's not as deep or complex are people make it sound like
Yeah, I can agree with that.

In the defense of whichever anons are saying this crap, fans of basically every game exaggerate the good qualities of it in just the same way.

>tactical risk with magic
that's about how I describe it when asked about it. It's like Risk only if you were to play irl you'd need to upend a shipping container worth of dice to play out every turn.

Kingofbullies Lambert send your turn REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

how do we fix LA R'lyeh

Nerf LA Atlantis

Make the free spawn less rubbish.

PeaceAndHarmony admin, get your butt here

Hello.

Guess who I am and whom I'm subbing for?

Lambert, and therodos?

You're a madman. I'll get in steamchat, gimme a second.

Will you want a restart, so you can submit your own pretender?

LastMAnStanding is full, when will it start?

Sorry agartha, but i have to post this.

MAGE SUBBORT.

Arcane domination was casted two times with pen4 before army of lead and fog warriors came in

WIZARD HELP

Arcanist Aid

Also i managed to enslave mind a oracle of the dead, but he didn't survive the fight. Sad.

Who's sent their turn in:
Yomi Waiting for 2h file
Therodos 2h file received
Agartha Waiting for 2h file
Pangaea Waiting for 2h file
Marverni Waiting for 2h file
Abysia Waiting for 2h file
R'lyeh Waiting for 2h file
Caelum Waiting for 2h file
C'tis Waiting for 2h file
Hinnom Waiting for 2h file
Niefelheim Waiting for 2h file
Fomoria Waiting for 2h file

Well, this is less than ideal, but luckily R'lyeh and myself can have ammicable diplomatic relations as they can't do shit on land.

What's stoping rlyeh from bullying your face and taking more gems and delicious extra gold?

The fact that I'm in a 2 province pond and he can't get onto land in any meaningful way

The aliveness of a general is inversely proportional to how good the game is

>16 IPs
This is some extreme popkill right here.

go away malakal

Wait who is Lambie? If it's Newgartha I'm going to lmao.

it's Newheim

youtube.com/watch?v=2Beda3kFNjo

Oh good, so he's the other person I think wants to kill me.

no worries, he's too busy trying to destroy the righteous and persecuted hinnomonians as elves are want to do during my righteous invasion of dying africans to liberate them of their aids

so true

Dominions is wargame, not 4X

are you sure? that's exactly what malakal would have said

Too paranoid Arco, when there is much juicier slaves to be reaped.

Are you kiding? You should at least take your name off before posting stuff like this.

this is getting silly

>tfw you'll never be as famous on /domg/ as Malakal, Lambert, Rejakor, Cirno, Sum1, etc.

Tell me who are you and I'll make a meme out of you.

I've lost many games due to bravado, but few because of caution. Watching myself

Suits me
Although, famous on /domg/ is like saying you're an especially well known Latvian interpretive dancer

I wouldn't be unknown if I made a habit out of posting my name in public, would I?

I'm you

Well that's kind of a big deal if you live in Latvia.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64

Turn 4, guys.

Let's get down to business
To become a god
Did they send me hoburgs
When I asked for sneks?
You're the saddest bunch I ever met
But you can bet before we're through
Mister, I'll make a meme
Out of you.
Tranquil as an Irminsul
But with F9 within.
Once you find your thrones
You are sure to win.
You're a spineless, pale pathetic lot
And you haven't got a clue.
Somehow I'll make a meme
Out of you.

I'm never gonna win a game
Say goodbye to those who allied me
Boy, was I a fool in creation for cutting Growth
These thugs got them scared to death
Hope he doesn't have mage support
Now I really wish that I knew how to play

BE A MEME
We must shitpost like a mad Rejakor
BE A MEME
With all the speed of Lambert in 30 games
BE A MEME
With all the balance of a Sum1 mod
Your win rate is the measure of your pride

Time is racing toward us
'til the next game starts.
Read my every guide
And you might survive.
You're unsuited for this video game
So go AI, uninstall, you're through
How could I make a meme
Out of you?

BE A MEME
BE A MEME
BE A MEME

BE A MEME
BE A MEME
BE A MEME

Color me

All y'all meming about mages, but this battle would never have been won if not for the overwhelming military superiority coming from
1215 POLYPAL SPAWN

HAH

I'm guessing someone got their cap sat on quickly. Thank you bas

ironically they never got to melee because if the fort wall.

it was all about mage support, malakal.

None of them died, so they obviously never even made it into combat.

>calling other guy malakal to deceive everyone else
nice try, malakal

Malabakas all of you

Guys, stop. Malakal is a faggot, I agree, but can we just go back to laughing at Rejakor?

It is clear to me that the true reason that they never died was their overwhelming military superiority

Are philosophers a trap?

Yes.

Nice try, Malakal ;)

are you coolstory? forget about Rejakor, the meme is now Malakek

I haven't seen him around lately though that might just be because I've got his trip filtered.

Rejakor is a fine, strapping young lad.

But honestly, bullying anyone is dumb. If people say dumb things you can call them out on it, but just randomly insulting people with their names seems pointless.

He hasn't used his trip at all aside from that one day that he made it.

Guys please, could you stop?
It was never fun, stop making fun of me already you retards.

ya'll got any more of them...magic gems

I've seen Malakal be really unkind to people for no reason. What a piece of scum.

wanwan.moe/

Malakal Malakal Malakal

We need more shit like this.

astral-corruption.corgiorgy.com/

The EA Arco guide recommends recruiting them in the first few turns as you save up for your first fort, which I think is valid, but I'd rather get some mystics to support my bless rush.

this is my favorite meme on /domg/

Like epilepsy?

OUCH

Putting aside game mechanics, how would this be represented "lore wise", are people vomiting their food back or something?

I tried to meme, but in the end jews reigned supreme

It means excess. They have so much food from the nature mages and pots that they are just throwing it away.