Swords were not weapons, they were toothpicks...

>Swords were not weapons, they were toothpicks. Why would ANYONE use a weapon that's shorter than a polearm yet can't deal with armor like a warhammer? From my LARPing experience I can tellswords are great tools to clean your teeth after eating dinner but they are not quite suitable for combat, not anymore than forks are at least.

Lindybeige

Other urls found in this thread:

historyofengland.typepad.com/documents_in_english_hist/2013/02/statute-of-winchester-1285.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why the fuck do i keep seeing this guy posted over and over here

He's a fairly popular youtuber that talks about nerd shit like medieval weaponry and LARPing.

>I LARP and I know better than profession soldiers.

Obviously this guy is an authority who should be listened to.

Go ask a professional soldier how useful a sword would have been to him in Fallujah.

>youtuber
holy fuck give me a break

>larping experience
Opinion discarded.

Swords are some of the most popular weapons out of history, were the standard issue arm of the Roman empire's legionnaires, arming sword was standard issue of late medieval. Basically every culture who could make them, used them to some extent. The ones that could, mass produced the shit out of them.

>Swords are usless xD give me a warhammer anyday

>tfw conquering half the world by throwing two pilums and BTFO of spear users with a short sword

>We Romans laugh in the face of enemies who cut with their swords instead of stab, as they are so easy to conquer. This is because even at full force a cutting blow rarely penetrates both armor and bone, while
even a stab 2 inches deep is usually fatal

haha get fucked swordfags ''muh sword using Romans'' also shat all over the pieces of shit

>TFW you're a medieval lord/king and you want to arm every soldier you can afford to with these weapons but you can't afford to.
>The rest will have to use spears and shields, but get laughed at by the merenaries with polearms :(((((

"[The sword] is such a weapon that all the people use it; the one who knows [how to use it] and the one who does not, young and old are protected by it everywhere. And it [the sword] is [such] a good brother that it does not become inactive in wide or even narrow places. One needs it on the sea and on the land and in crowd. On a very windy day the lance becomes a burden for its possessor, but this [the sword] never becomes useless. And on that day the archer can not shoot his arrow straight, [therefore] no one can do without the sword."

"Although they have many weapons, they would never be able to do without the sword, but those who have swords can do without all the other weapons."

Muhammad Ibn Yaqub Ibn Ahi Hazzam al-Hattali, Kitab al-Furusiyya va'l-Baytara, 14th century

>We will arm everyone of our legionnaires with gladiī, because our formation an fighting style demands it.
>we will arm our cavalry with the spatha, a long sword for cutting, because our formation and fighting style demands it
>we, the celts, fought primarily with spears and shields and got royally fucked up by the sword wielding romans. The celts, much to their dismay, could not afford to and did not have the means to mass produce iron to the extent that they could arm all their warriors with swords. This was unfortunate for them, as is obvious.

What period?

He's absolutely correct in relation to plate armor.

Past the High middle ages.

THis is inscribed in the Statue of Winchester, England, and was made Law.

>historyofengland.typepad.com/documents_in_english_hist/2013/02/statute-of-winchester-1285.html

Skip down to article 5. By this time, most people could afford a sword because mining, smithing, etc was less costly, and people were wealthier.

Polearms were regularly broken and treated as disposable. That's what having a long wooden haft gets you. Still, they were to be used first until broken or thrown (regarding spears).
Swords were the fallback weapon for most infantry, but they were reliable and built to last.

I need some source for this ''regularly broken''.

>two pilums
[citation needed][dubious][discuss]

here are some more 'lindybeige-isms'

>no one used axes, ever
>throwing knives are memes
>phalanxes are memes invented centuries after the fact
>torches are memes
>wrist bands are memes
>cloaks and hats didn't exist until the 1800s
>the Trojans used longswords
>he spends 3 hours customizing shirts in order to look like an ''eccentric professor''

I don't recall Lindy claiming no one used axes.

When did you realize Lindy is autistic
For me it was when he made a video about how he actually takes the time to modify his shirt collars so that they will be round
What a fucking autist

What happened in Fallujah?

Did he really claim that phalanxes didn't exist in classical Greece? On what basis did he say that?

I'm trying to comprehend that level of idiocy and failing.

Vegetius
Re De Militarie

US embassy was over run by hostiles
I forgot where but somewhere in the Middle East
Then there was a coverup from politicians
That's all I remember