Have you guys done this yet?

Have you guys done this yet?

And what exactly is "this?" I'm guessing by the content that it's a look at religion from a psychological and anthropological angle, but to what end?

Please post more of these.

Pretty sure. It was posted on lit.

That's a shit meme

Mine was better

Seems way worse.

what is this supposed to be

What is this? Seems pretty interesting

Looks like a list of becoming familiar with the essentials of comparative mythology/religion, narrative language structure, and the unconscious mind.
There's a lot of different ways those books are helpful that aren't readily apparent. First of all starting with the Greeks after that list would be much better than if you had just started with the Greeks. You would have simply read the myths as prose. The myths have a symbolic mythological and poetic meaning to them as well. It'll certainly help with even into-ing philosophy.

Look at the birth of Athena for instance:
Zeus has wedded Metis, the personification of reason and intelligence, who, being one of the daughters of Oceanus…had the power of transforming herself. Fearing the birth of a son more powerful than he, Zeus devours Metis, who is already pregnant with a daughter, thereby transporting her into his own body. When Hephaestus splits Zeus’ head with an axe, this daughter, Athena, is born, the sea surges forth, and Olympus and earth—until that moment polarly related—tremble and shake; the carefully preserved balance is destroyed; even Helios interrupts its course. The circle is indeed interrupted, and, from the breach, the wound, a new possibility of the world emerges.

>
I've read everything on that list and I picked up Gebser and I'm over half-finished.

Gebser is suggesting that based on evidence of similar occurrences or transformations in the human mind that it is happening again. First we have Archaic man with is in mind still virtually pure animal instinct. Then a new layer of consciousness of mind occurs, Magic man; he begins cave painting, witchcraft, spell casting, and shamanism. After this Mythical man emerges; he begins creating myth and recognizing cosmic cycles and events, agriculture, civilization. We next have Mental man, which we are now. From Mental man stems religion, 3-dimensional spacial perspective, technology, complex abstract thought, the sciences, etc.

Is there a kind of "history for dummies" book? (Or even a video series even if it's not the subject of this topic), that just teaches the essential of history chronologically.
My general knowledge sucks and now that I'm older and regret it and want to learn.

you might wanna make your own thread for that but I would say to literally just google a part of history you're interested in and go from there. follow you're interests long enough and you will eventually get a picture for the whole. also satanic trips spotted.

>watching satyricon
>not just reading it
I mean, I like fellini as much as the next guy but

Freud is irrelevant.

Stepping stone to Jung

What comes after Gebser?

>Golden Bough

Milestone for anthropology of religion, but about as accurate to modern anthropology as Aristotle is to modern science

>White Goddess
Schizophrenic ramblings rejected by all academia

but

Just pick an area of history you're interested in and go from there.

Ask here for book recommendations.

>The golden Bough
>Freud
>Jung
1930s called, they wanted to fuck your mother.

>implying you don't want to fuck your archetypal mother as well

You're an alien aren't you?

Jung represents a continuation of the Platonic tradition. Plato, who received his knowledge from Socrates (who some claim received it from Egyptian Mystery Schools), gives us the idea of Forms. This is carried through by Plotinus and further by St. Augustine. Eventually we get to Jung with his Archetypes and this is carried forward to Joseph Campbell in his monomyth.

It is the Truth of the pure metaphysical reality that underlies our own. Unfortunately, like the Gnostic states, it has to be experienced to be accepted by the individual. No materialists are going to be convinced, but the true reality as given to us by our ancient ancestors was carried through to Jung. With his and his predecessors insight, we can lift the veil to see the infinitive divine reality of which we are a shadow.

>Schizophrenic ramblings

More like made magical/poetic alphabets understandable beyond prose

>Eventually we get to Jung with his Archetypes and this is carried forward to Joseph Campbell in his monomyth.

Which is spot on regardless of what current academia agrees upon.

I've read the Golden Bough and Hero with a Thousand Faces but not the others

I don't care about Freud really but are the others good?

the Golden Bough can be tedious since like half the book is just Fraser listing examples then immediately moving away from them.

Nietzsche shits all over Plato

And....?
As if Nietzsche didn't get his rocks of shitting on everyone.
Besides, who says the Neitz was right?

And....?
Cool appeal to authority, bro.

Yeah everybody is too busy gobbling the postmodern cock of seeing everything as unrelated and perfect by itself with no parallels or you're appropriating.

The universal truth runs through all even though materialists get pissed over anything having meaning, or teleology.

And....?
Is that relevant?
Cool appeal to authority, bro.

I do :^)

I don't plan on reading most of the specific stuff

Here's what I read:

- Bible
- Qur'an
- A History of God by Armstrong
- The Great Transformation by Armstrong
- Archetypes of the Collective Unconscious by Jung
- Oration on the Dignity of Man by Giovanni Pico della Mirandola

This last thingy was an extremely short read (it's a speech, not a book) that really, REALLY got me into the Perennial Philosophy.

I'm currently reading The Perennial Philosophy by Huxley (yes, the same Huxley as Brave New World's writer)

I plan to read Plato's Republic and Phaedo, Plotinus' Enneads, and the Corpus Hermeticum when I'm finished.

I'm not sure if there are any contemporary writers beside Huxley that I should check out.

I mean it's like a systematic, organized philosophy and theology of what Armstrong chronicled the history of in her Great Transformation, and then the later mystics in A History of God.

>I don't plan on reading most of the specific stuff in your pics, please elaborate
derp

Don't get me wrong brother, I love the Nietz. But I find his theories as applied to the ancient tradition of Western Platonism as much more inspiring.

Plus, his disbelief in freewill, his eternal return, I don't believe. Sure, arguments could be made and none will be convinced, that's just me.

His belief in overcoming man, to be the overman, to love life and fate; these ideas I get behind fully. Plus his overman seems like a Platonic form if there ever was one.

Yes brother, the perennial philosophy as expresses through Plato and the Hermeticum is beautiful. Love that you're reading the Archtypes by Jung.

Don't forget your Plotinus and Joseph Campbell either.

Plato
Plotinus
Augustine
Jung
Campbell

That's the most direct stream of the true Platonic truth availiable to us. With the bible as a great source as well.

William Cooper is another source if you don't mind a little conspiracy as well.

I should have mentioned that I also read

- Introduction to Chinese Philosophy by JeeLoo Liu

Which is probably the best single book on the philosophies of EVERYONE: the Yijing, Confucius, Mencius, Xunzi, Mozi, Laozi, Zhuangzi, Hanfeizi, and the schools of Chinese Buddhism, including Chan, better known as Zen.

Concise, yet thorough, using both contemporary Eastern and Western lenses to discuss the subject matter, saves you a lot of time, because books like the Zhuangzi are excruciatingly difficult even for the best scholars.

>It's a shitting on reason episode

Jung influenced Campbell, not the other way around. Into the trash it goes.

You swallowed the materialism pill hard, huh? There's no reason to argue, unless you've experience the Archetypal, there's nothing that can be done.

Just be open to it brother, there is beauty beyond the flawed existence you lead now.

I mostly agree with his idea that we need to live for this life and that the world IS important rather than some great evil we should shy away from in wait for the "next" world, because why would another world necessarily be any better if you can't make the best of this one? the Overman stuff as well, not being content with the mediocre and constantly striving for what is more noble, it spits in the face of egalitarian democratic modern life and I love it. honestly I don;t think he shits on Plato THAT much really, mostly just his ideas of some higher/better world of forms with us occupying a lower and less important one, but it seems his attack on that is more an attack on Christian development of Platonism with the world of forms being turned into heaven rather than a purely ideal space.

freewill can go either way, any system of sufficient complexity will have random and structured elements, if we choose to identify with the random aspects and call that free will then what is the issue?

These are solid arguments brother, thank you.

I agree that many Platonists and Christians see the heavenly as a reason to deny this existence. I am completely against the Gnostic anti-life philosophies. I think the issue is whether you have experienced the archetypal or not, some believe others don't, it all depends on experience.

I see the Platonic forms underlying reality as not taking away from this life but manifesting it. Life is beautiful and I relish it. The forms give meaning and shape to an existence and provide it with numinous and purposeful quality. Of course, we need to love this existence. Head in the clouds but feet on the ground, brother.

[citation needed]

You have to be your own citation. Try to experience the infinite. That's all that can happen, no scholarly work can provide you with gnosis.

Smoke em if you got em, it's immaterial what either of us think.

Motherfucking this