Were the ancient egyptians black, Veeky Forums? I always dismissed it as wewuzkangery...

Were the ancient egyptians black, Veeky Forums? I always dismissed it as wewuzkangery, but recently I stumbled upon this:

sacred-texts.com/cla/hh/hh2100.htm

I quote:

" For the people of Colchis are evidently Egyptian, and this I perceived for myself before I heard it from others. So when I had come to consider the matter I asked them both; and the Colchians had remembrance of the Egyptians more than the Egyptians of the Colchians; but the Egyptians said they believed that the Colchians were a portion of the army of Sesostris. That this was so I conjectured myself not only because they are dark-skinned and have curly hair (this of itself amounts to nothing, for there are other races which are so), but also still more because the Colchians, Egyptians, and Ethiopians alone of all the races of men have practised circumcision from the first."

Is Herodotus suggesting the ancient egyptians were black, the same as the ethiopians? Like, even the original greek uses the word Αἰθίοπες.

I don't know what to make of this. Is Herodotus being unreliable?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=eiMfXZyCe9w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Georgians were not Egypians and have no genetic connection with them, you should know that herodotus is full of shit and had weird ideas about the world such as Phoenicians originating in Ethiopia that are not supported by anything but myths and misinterpretations-

Egyptians depicted themselves and Puntites and Nubians in the same skintone and shade.

They were black just not the same kind of Black as nilotics.

Um, no, check any tomb portrait and you'll see that the Nubians are pitch black and the Egyptians represented themselves as light brownish, like Arabs

The 25th dynasty was Nubian.

Lower Egypt was brown
Upper Egypt was black

Ancient Egypt for it's entirety has been a composite civilization, make up of different sub cultures from various parts of Africa/Levant/Arabia.

Although I personally am under the assertion that Ancient Egypt's origins began in the Sub-Saharan regions of Africa, there's much evidence to suggest this.

this

They probably wouldn't fit into any of our racial categories of today. I consider them to be of the same genetic stock as the Sumerians, and other pre-Semitic tribes of North Africa, the Levant, Mesopotamia etc, forming a continuum with Persia and India to the east, and Europe to the west

They were Hamitic, similar to the Berbers of today you see in Morocco, Algeria, and the like.

There were a bunch of nubians/ethiopians/sub-saharans but the vast majority of ancient egyptians were not black
Same goes for north africa entirely really

just ignore any "wewuzkangery" that's spouted by american blacks since they're all fucking insane and have no real heritage so they end up making shit up

>There were a bunch of nubians/ethiopians/sub-saharans but the vast majority of ancient egyptians were not black

Then what were they? That's such a idiotic statement..

remember that King Tut had Y-DNA haplogrou R1b

that doesn't mean that he was white
but that means his paternal line probably originated in Eurasia, not in Africa

Herodotus is full of shit but the fact that the Georgians were circumsized is interesting, apparently Acheans were too according toEgyptians and a few other sea peoples too.

Were Etruscans circumsized aswell?

it happened like once or twice

The majority of the citizens were what we consider today Ethiopians, from Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia. There were other groups too from the Sudan to the south, and the Levant to the North who mostly trickled in and eventually gained political power.

False. some were. Note red and black Nubian's wearing the same clothing and secondly loom at any Nubian made statue or work of art.

Nubians and Egyptians looked the same, nilotics did not but they are from further south than Nubia proper.

No

>Closeup of the top three registers on the Grand Procession mural. The “Hamitic” Puntite figures on the top row resemble the copper-toned Cretans and Hamitic-type Nubians, and correlate with the “red” peoples described in the early inscriptions. The “Negroid” figures to the right of the Puntites are identical to the very dark Nilote on the bottom panel, and are in all likelihood the “black” peoples of the engravings

Modern egyptians both "arabized" and copts are genetically more closely related to east africans than arabs

Herodotus also noted tribes of dog people, headless people, and claimed that the Balts/Slavs were werewolves

>the Colchians, Egyptians, and Ethiopians
He wouldn't have separated Egyptian from Ethiopian if they were black. Ethiopian was the word for Black people back then, it literally means burnt face, blacks from west African were also called Ethiopian.

Egyptians were various shades of brown, of the Afro-Asiatic group, of which Arabs and Berbers are also members, but not black or white.

>black
Will this meme ever end?
Black and white aren't ethnicities or even genetic groups

>Nubians and Egyptians looked the same, nilotics did not but they are from further south than Nubia proper.
All this shows is that some Nubians were brown like the Egyptians, rather than the Egyptians being black like the Nubians. It's more telling of the Nubians than Egyptians. But you will notice they also go out of their way to make the faces different between the black and browns, big lips etc.

>Balts/Slavs
>implying they're interchangeable

Egyptian made impressions of themselves and Nubian impressions of themselves align with puntite imagery. The continuity of east African populations is such that the inclusion of Nilotics (who are not the nilo-saharans and Afro-Asiatic of Nubia and Egypt) only reaffirms shared roots.

I'm east African my skin is literally that color.

Regardless Egyptians were not "black" they were brown.

Nubian is also an anachronism

>taking Herodotus at face value
>having read Herodotus but not understanding how his description of the Ethopian people is by en large purely mythical

It's like the nazi's saying WE WUZ HYPERBOREANS AND SHEIIT CUZ DA GREAT HISTORIAN HERODOTUS SAID SO and whose means were enormously dubious and farsical.

None of modern day scholars would get away with the shit Herodotus wrote. He is just celebrated because his work was truly an epic and it contained far more than just history, it is also one of the only accounts we have of the time.

It's not though because Herodotus had no agenda to promote, and he says himself that not everything is verified.

He gets far too much stick, he never made anything up, he only wrote what he heard from people, he says this and says it may be bullshit. He's the only insight in to the wider world in this period and much of what he said turned out to be true.

He studied for years in Egypt and was a mercenary there.

>His eye-witness accounts indicate that he traveled in Egypt in association with Athenians, probably some time after 454 BC or possibly earlier, after an Athenian fleet had assisted the uprising against Persian rule in 460–454 BC

Genetics of African populations show we are the most biodiverse continent on Earth. That variability expresses itself in a myriad of colorations, of which Egyptians, Nubians/Kushite/Kerma and Eritrean/Ethiopian/Somalians all share.

In the west a Somali is black even when they are brown, as are Habesha like myself who is red and Beja too. Egyptians were black, a different black but black nevertheless.

No they were brown not black, how is this difficult? Black is a made up term but what it mean even in the looses sense, and excuse the racism, is dark skinned big lipped sub saharan african. The Ancient Egyptians weren't like that. They probably did share much with the whole sudan and east africa region, just like Arabs do. But black is the wrong word to use.

Bantu are black as night. 'Africa black' is a relatively recent phenomenon, the Bantu originated less than five thousand years ago.

I as a red skinned East African am black in the World today. Black as a racial term and literal color are two different things.

Wrong

Egyptians would have been generally lighter and less blackish than east Africans, it is quite a long distance, as much as between Indian and China or France and Turkey. We really can only see skin colour in their drawings, we cannot tell facial structure at all beyond the highly stereotyped Nubians.

>Wrong

wat

Dude yes.

Khoi-san are not Africa black, East Africans are not Africa black, but Bantu are.

Black is a social identity not genetics. Genetically speaking Khoisan would be several distinct races, pygmies would be two different races, etc....

Bantu is a subset of a language grouping with a lot of variability. The darkest peoples on the continent are not Bantu, they are Wolof and Nilotics and Ethiopics.

All of us are considered black in the west.
What do you mean a long distance, Beja are in Egypt to this day as are other red skinned people along the red sea. At that time period Arabia was inhabited by red skin East Africans.

Do you even know the history of the region?

>Do you even know the history of the region?
Yes. It's a big region, you're saying the Egyptians are the same as East Africans but there is quite a distance between those regions, even Egypt to Sudan is a long way.

It's also a colour, that's how I was using it. The people who developed around the Niger river basin and later spread from there are the darkest in skin, this includes Wolof, Nilotics, but not Ethiopics.

As an identity, it was developed as part of the black/white dichotomy, a tool to support slavery.

It's not nearly as big given the fact that the Nile was the life line of Egypt and most people's travels throughout the region. The desert was namely empty post-subpluvial.
You literally have no clue what you're talking about if you think all those people are the same genetics from the Niger.

Also the fact that you misuse the word Ethiopic the genetic group and have no clue what that is.

You know about the Bantu expansion, yes?

It should be no surprise that the people to invent agriculture and iron-working would have spread to all parts of the continent.

It's still the most diverse genetically, but it hasn't avoided history.

Hammites?

Especially this

Although blackness as we know it would have been a foreign concept to any Egyptian

You have to remember that the ruling dynasties were not always native, just like China was ruled by northern barbarians several times.

>They probably wouldn't fit into any of our racial categories of today

is this what white people say to deny that egypt was black?

And partially and briefly by southern and eastern barbarians.

Domestication occurred before Bantu expansion along the Sahel not just around Niger, metal working existed in several African regions.

You literally have no clue what you're talking about.
It's in quotes for a reason, personally I detest the word. I prefer the genetic grouping Ethio-Somali.

Just like how they want to make Somali not black when East Africa and Egypt come up. It's b.s.

I dunno what we're arguing about dude, I'm just saying they were brown skinned, and wouldn't be considered black today except by morons.

There was a black dynasty IIRC but West Africans such as American blacks have literally nothing to do with Egypt.
This shit is like if Englisman was proud of Tsars.

They would be considered black because we consider even lighter than red skin people black everyday.

t. south chinese rice muncher

Noodles taste better.

What would it matter if the Egyptians were black, or brown. Their artifacts are being desecrated and sold on the black market as we speak and if nothing is done about that than we would know jack shit about any of the Egyptian's culture and history.

>just like China was ruled by northern barbarians
Funny thing is those northern barbarians are probably more related to the ancient Han than southern Chinese.

t.latvian

Some swarthy folk made their way up the Nile, but you have to consider the fact that 90%+ of the population were farmers who never moved far from their place of birth except for occasional pilgrimages and the like and only a minority of the remaining 10% were foreign artisans, traders, sailors, merchants or nobles of exotic descent.

down the Nile rather

>tfw slav
>Ramses ii looks like my grandpa
It's retarded to say egyptians were nogs. Even if there were migrant blacks, they certainly weren't Bantu subhumans.

Nubians were always depicted as pitch black with protruding jaws, while the Egyptians were a lighter brown.

I fully agree, yet many readers of Herodotus dont understand this. Herodotus' Histories is a marvelous book

>bantu subhumans

>>/pol/

>Is Herodotus being unreliable?

Motherfucker thought Persia had giant furry ants that mined for gold and it's the Egyptians that make you doubt him?

how do we know they didnt, that sounds bad ass

>ignoring reality because it hurts your feelings
Have some self respect and at least argue my post.

Nubians were black, but before/after the period they took over the Egyptians were white

>Dehumanises on no logical basis other than the need to lift himself up as to neutralise his insecurities
>user respec mee

>no substance
>baseless assumptions
Butt ravaged lefties like yourself should actually present arguments instead of shitpost.

No.
The Egyptians where Europeans, look at their facial features, and the fact that the royal bloodline is European.

The black skinned people in heilogylth safe Nubians, which the Egyptians hunted down and murdered.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=eiMfXZyCe9w