/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Thursday Evening Edition

Last thread: > Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/user-857086809/theme1-01
hastebin.com/uhakucucok.pl
reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/4qkiks/the_game_was_stolen_on_google/
clyp.it/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for I don't know which will come first: my game or my suicide

second...
post...
nigga....

it'll be an interesting day regardless

Starting a boss.

Now I just need to make a few dozen massive frames of animation and I really don't know how to even store them.

There's a decent chance he'll give me half a million at the same evaluation and lead our 10m round ( :

an array

Thank you for posting best girl

That doesn't look really good for your PC's resources user.

I've been procrastinating writing code by making music instead.

Thoughts?
soundcloud.com/user-857086809/theme1-01

Some new lighting changes. Actors can now be knocked down by force, they can also get back up.

Kaboom! This was yesterday's progress. Now I'm gonna try to make some simple "enemy death" explosions.

>knowing I'll have to do manual lookups and animation management instead of having nicely auto-animated spritesheets

It probably isn't. But my goal is to become a one-man vanillaware and that means massive sprites.

Okay, I give up. Any idea why this doesn't work? You can go up slopes just fine, but when you try to go down you end up airborne.

Using GML
hastebin.com/uhakucucok.pl

Anybody publicly hosting jam entries code (github, gitlab, etc)?
I wanna read some code.

You don't have to do lookups. If the boss object has an array of its own frames you just loop through them.

If you have all of your sprites for everything in one giant static data structure, then you could still use an array because they have constant access time which is good for reading arbitrary elements quickly.

If you need to insert, remove, or delete, then an array isn't optimal because you have to use another array big enough for the old and new stuff. A linked list would be better in that case, but a linked list doesn't have fast access times for any given element you need to access

>youwotm8.webm
hahah
good progress

But they don't have a native 4k resolution on their games! you can make your game with a 256x224 resolution and if you use half of that in a boss that would be massive, and it'll look cool too.

nice dark souls clone

>you can make your game with a 256x224 resolution
I'm done with pixel art. It feels way too limiting. Freely drawing huge shit is fun.

Nice shitpost clone.

You had a nice beginning until you went off track with what I thought was gonna be a build-up to the main melody.
Your panning is also off center to the right until ~0:25. Takes way too long to get to the second part. Shorten it way down so it breaks out at ~0:40. And maybe try pitching it down or adding a variation instead of just repeating it.
not bad for a WIP.

got any tips/resources on making any kind of particle effect pixel art?

This looks promising?

What's the game purpose? What do you do in it?

iim getting SICK AND TIRED OF SEEING THIS FUCKING IMAGE FUCKING FUCK AJHAIOSHJIOPAEWFPOWIEAJGAWEGIOE RGIRHOTGO JOIGTIPWE

Is this Mount & Souls?

Clone clone clone.

Oh not particularly. I don't deal much with particles, although what I do know is the best results I've gotten with particles are when the edge colors of the particles are similar, so the particles can blend together. For example, a round smoke particle looks alot better without a black outline, because its able to blend into other particles, giving the illusion of one large cloud. Same goes for explosions and fire. That's about all I've got I'm afraid.

Remember to patent and copyright your LLCs!

reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/4qkiks/the_game_was_stolen_on_google/

Unfortunately the pedo happens to also have OCD and/or autism.

>mobile shit
who cares

Post this in last thread, making an RPG with a Paper Mario style battle system, wondering if anyone has comments about this screencap

There's no need to be upset

Thanks for the tips.You're right about the panning in the first half, I need to change that.

As for the second part; I agree that it should be expanded upon. It comes in at ~42 seconds, so I don't really have a problem with that though. If anything I'll probably end up extending the first part too, and pushing the transition back a bit.

ignore and report

Repetition is really grating when you're not profoundly stupid.

Thanks
Dungeon crawler with melee combat and an emphasis on retarded AI.
>comparison to M&B&souls
The best

Friendly reminder that if you can't execute your own ideas better than the competition, you don't deserve to call them your own.

Additional friendly reminder that if someone can permanently steal the wind from your game just by releasing a stolen version, your game probably sucks anyway.

is this Mount & Dark Messiah?

Are they really borrowed assets though?

If so, there's literally nothing to comment on.

But you can make that giant sprite half of the size and it's still going to look great, you don't really need to go that big.

The trees should have one more tone of shadow, they look kinda bland.

Your characters seem way too okay with the fact that Death is just hanging out under their tree

Also should probably edit the other VST that comes in at ~:28,
sounds a little too stock for my taste.

And I also forgot to say that at ~:58, when your first melody comes back in it needs to be either higher than your other one or have it twinkle across right-left. As they just sound awkwardly on-top of eachother.

Use sprite sheets and break each sheet into specific animations. Using arrays is pretty dumb and counter-intuitive.

Vanillaware still uses a mix of 3D, puppets, and traditional animation. Actual amount of unique frames, that aren't just moved with 3D or puppetry, is actually quite small. They are then baked into a sheet. They aren't the gospel of huge sprites, that's Skull Girls department.

>if someone can permanently steal the wind from your game
What does that mean?

Lose the red highlights or add another one on his forehead.
Not a fan of the bow-tie.

Because I don't want to get sued for ripping off a popular game

Boku has bigger ears!

Dark Souls: PSX Version?

Don't have a phone.

Here is he in action. Along with more clarity work.

>A lot of competition
>People get bored of them easily and they just go to other mobile games
>You don't really get a lot of money with them if it isn't popular.

I would work on the style a bit more. Some things appear to be shaded but some things do not. The faces of the characters and the colors themselves could be better.

Does anyone have idea how to make the HP bar look more interesting?

>That arrow rotating
It looks really cool user, also the colors of the level are great, it's really harmonic.

FUCK. I love that game, but I can't think about it else regret not making my game for first person perspective.

blood drips off when you lose health

Perhaps when you get hit, each pixel of health lost "bleeds" off of the health bar? Essentially becomes a single-pixel particle that falls down off the HUD bar, stretching or dissolving in whatever way you think would resemble a droplet.

The bar's texture
Add pulse aura effect to it
Add fancy detail

You should label one of them 'Yesdev' and the other 'Nodev' (Doesn't matter which) and then pop an AGDG logo in the bottom corner.

I'd say it's very interesting already, nice work. Maybe give it some minimal animation or maybe a shatter effect on HP loss. The main problem with your game is every element seems to posses a similar shade, so details can often be lost in a samey blur with no contrast, but with your game in particular it's no so bad. I've seen worse.

Holy shit this is so much better

what engine?

you seem to be an expert of sorts, so i'll go ahead and ask. where the heck do i learn how to make music? i know nothing about it, but i've already got a launchkey for ableton, if that helps.

>The bar's texture
Meant to say animate the bar's texture.

Custom (openGL+bullet physics)

The part that is subtracted on damage should flash white or explode outwards or drip down or something. Anything but shrinking.

The middle color of the mana bar dips below the bottom shade after the third throw

Cool beans, keep it up. I love seeing more 3d games here.

>Expert
Nope, just a hack who has been doing this for a long-ish time.

But the logical and less-painful answer is to study theory and know how to properly compose. There's plenty of sites for it.

The way I and many other new "internet producers" "learn" is to just listen to a shit ton of music, and slowly do everything by ear.

But learn Ableton, and then look at some sample projects. That's how I familizied myself with FL Studio and a Launchpad years ago.

Thanks, the arrow rotates because the player moved so i thought if it rotates with the player it will help the player notice the arrow even more until it despawns after 2 seconds or so at the start of every level.

I'm proud of the art now and Boku's redesign, and it only took 48 hours of straight negative feedback from /agdg railing on my stress for me to pound my keyboard each time to make the art better. You guys are the best.

Though the comments from the thread were completely the opposite of the comments in the steam chat, as one sides says go up, the other says down. You all need to work on that. Get some harmony between you too chat and thread jesus.

Also /mu/ has a newish general for composing.
There's also for WIP critiques. They use clyp.it/ to share stuff.

How to write story?

Axes travel way too fast

Give me a day

alright, i'll lurk more and see those example projects.

Reminder that your game better be ready to ship in a week, agdg!

>took 48 hours of straight negative feedback
Sorry user we were just trying to help you, hope you feel better now.

I'm having a good day

I'm still refactoring my engine, sorry.

Post more TSF

Give me weird game ideas.

Maybe I should do that dripping thing. With my question, I was pretty much referring to the texture, which is boring as shit as it is now.

Yeah I know. I'm going to fix it when I get time. I'll probably make it shorter anyways.

How so?

you don't need one

I still need to make my MC to not look like an animal.

>tfw can barely read my own code that I just wrote minutes ago

A reverse platformer where you are an entity in the platforms trying to stop the adventurer.

A tower defense game with people or machines where you are the medic/engineer.

Katamari Damacy, but there's dozens of them and you have to sprinkle certain things on all the stuff in order to deter them.

Compare their movement to the player's. Try reducing their image speed and gravity

Im using monogame but im getting tired of having to do a lot of stuff to make simple progress, i think i'll continue using it as a learning tool but not to make games.

If i want to make 2D and 3D games what would you guys recommend?

Godot,Unity or Unreal?

>I don't want to put in the work
find a new hobby

Did you even read the post?

Nope, just completely guessed what it was about and made a comment in response hoping it was relevant.

>replying to bait

unreal

one of these days they'll actually emulate smears and i will be disgusted, this trail effect is just mediocre and everyone who thinks it's a smear is cute.

how do I make it so that certain objects do or do not spawn depending on where the MC is on the screen?